Starting July 1st

misti

Starting my fourth Whole 30 on 1 July and my boyfriend is joining me for the first time which makes it great fun. My biggest tip is to get organised now - stock up on everything you need and make extra portions of EVERYTHING to avoid spending too much time in the kitchen. Enjoy everyone!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing another w30 starting on the 1st of July too...it's my 5th (not counting my second "attempt")

I tend to start off on the thread then it all gets too much (autistic and I tend to hide away) so I lurk and read the thread when I need to...so it usually looks like I've fallen off! In fact my last two I did without posting to this forum or joining a thread at all, just reading.

I won't be recording what I eat this time and I'm a rebel as I don't do meal planning (it takes the joy completely out of food for me and I prefer to go to the shops every couple of days and buy what I and my son fancy eating). Basically I'm a bit naughty!

I'm very good at doing it cheaply though...we live in the UK where food costs a lot and my food budget is minuscule ;)

Welcome to overnight Newbies!

Good feedback IrishEyes, no you don't have to be a fanatical consistent thread contributor of course, but if you joined a thread and made it known, its human curiousity and concern that makes us all wonder how you're going. Great that you've set goals - posting twice a week, even once a week will make you feel involved and let us know 'you're still alive & W30 kicking'!!! :wub:  PS: No one has to be ashamed to fall off the wagon and announce it to the world, we're here to support you!

Nutritional yeast is compliant but not recommended. Use it is a spice/flavouring rather than to make faux food.

Thanks jmcbn - yep, gotta get over faux food way of thinking!

I've always used Hellman's mayo but just saw that there is sugar in it...time for me to get cracking on making my own. What type of oil do you use? Here in the Nordic countries rape seed (horrible name) is considered a healthy oil, but I'll need to check that vis a vis Whole30.

I tried making mayo with my oil of choice - macadamia nut, but the flavour is overpowering. Try the lightest olive oil you can, there are great YouTube clips on making W30 mayo, I think Clothes Make the Girl has one from memory?

Happy Day 0 everyone!

For all of you embarking on home made mayo...it is easy and fun to make. There is a magic moment when the egg emulsifies that is very satisfying. I think the lemon juice is critical. I don't like it made with olive oil so I use grape seed oil which has no flavor. Enjoy.

Wish I wasn't allergic to eggs! Sounds yummy. I am ready to start July 1st. I may start tomorrow buy have July 1 "officially" my start. I am such a sugar and dairy addict. I was also told a while back I am allergic to dairy. (Allergic to gluten, dairy, eggs). So, I am looking forward to cleaning things up diet wise and feel better. Constant joint pain is no fun!

Unbelievable, I won the grand prize in the contest that Pizza Inn did on Facebook two days before my first Whole30!! Coupons for five pizzas and a $55 gift card to their restaurant. By the time July is over, maybe I won't even care anymore. But it is always fun to win something!! Lol

Husband and I are getting ready to start our first Whole 30 on July 1st too!  I've been eating whole for every meal except dinner for this week, I'm nervous but I think I can do it.  I'm a little worried about breakfasts for the husband (yes, he can figure it out on his own but I am the self designated meal maker).  He can't eat eggs in the morning due to no gall bladder and I'm hoping he can find something substantial.

Let's Go!

Hello, good food friends!

I am in. My brother challenged me to my first Whole30 in January, 2013 and I have not looked back! But, with life ebbing and flowing, I know that my body needs the July W30. I am looking forward to giving my body this 30 day re-set! I am even looking forward to the "everything tastes like sand" phase (anyone else had that?) because I know I need to go through that to slay Mr. sugar dragon!

This is my first time joining an "official" group.

See you all online! Happy W30 shopping and pantry cleansing :)

Wish I wasn't allergic to eggs! Sounds yummy. 

Hey ElvenSong1 - Melissa Joulwan may still have you covered for the mayo.  Though she does say it's not as nice as the regular one:  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/

For egg-containing mayo, I like the immersion blender method that Michelle Tam pointed at: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39474749548/whole30-day-2-paleo-mayonnaise

For Whole30 newbies - those two websites are both great recipe resources and both have Whole30 sections with compliant recipes.

Hey all... I am doing another W30 starting July 1.  I have done 6 whole 30's and I stumbled on a few others too.  I am a big fan of this WOL and I do believe strongly in the physical, mental and attitudinal (if that is a word) changes that come from following W30.  My wife and kids are sympathetic but not participating in the W30.  As such, I go it alone with their support and understanding but not a 100% W30 home, fridge or pantry.  It can be done and I know the benefits that come from 100% buy in. 

I know there are things about W30 that will scare you:

- Social outings

- Coffee

- Rewards and "I earned it" self-talk

Please know that the process works, you will get through it, you will be better for it and the first week (if you were following the typical western diet for any time) may be difficult. 

I will be around a number of times throughout the next month and I look forward to reading about your W30 stories, challenges and successes.

If you don't have it... the ISWF book is worth it, the W30 book is a great tool.  I also have Well Fed (1 and 2) and the Nom Nom Paleo Cookbook. They are all great resources.

My personal strategy is to try to make one new meal or cookbook item a week to keep things interesting (always plan leftovers) but don't try to make something new and fantastic every night.  It is pretty easy to have kitchen burnout by the end of week 2 or 3.  Find 3-4 easy meals that you like that are on plan and keep your fridge stocked to make those meals.  Always have a easy backup on hand because there will be times when you don't want to or won't have energy to do a big cook-off.  Decisions when you are tired, stressed or groggy are always easier when there are simple options available.

For me... I like to have the following as go-to meals (I eat kind of boring):

• Compliant mild Italian sausage and a salad with a mix of cole-slaw cabbage and kale (make own dressing out of vinegar, EVOO and a no-salt seasoning mix).
  • Always have pork chops or left-over chicken (store-bought strips typically have both wheat/starch and sugar added) to make a quick cobb salad
  • Love sweet potato, veggies and leftover meat (ground beef/sausage/chicken) in a W30 Jambalaya.
  • Prosciutto is a great non-cook protein (make sure not cured with sugar)
  • Eggs and veggies cooked ahead of time in muffin tins (paper wrappers or coconut oil spray)

Good luck to all of you and enjoy the journey.  I have found that those that are looking for (pining) for the benefits of the program are often the ones that achieve them the slowest.  Don't focus on when you will get "tiger blood" or when you will fit into your goal jeans.  Find your joy in the process and you will be much more likely to have a positive outcome.

Cheers

DJ

EDIT: oops, didn't see Meg's reply! Not piling on you, Lynn, but I'll leave my reply up for the benefit of other folks.

Okay, I'm in!  This will be my 2nd Whole 30.  The only thing I'm worried about is my ice cream addiction...any suggestions (besides frozen bananas)?

I'm sure you meant it in jest, but for other new people reading, just wanted to point out that frozen bananas shouldn't be used to satisfy a craving for ice cream. This is the SWYPO concept --- using technically-compliant ingredients to either recreate a non-compliant dish or serve as a substitute. It reinforces the crave:reward cycle and you miss out on the beneficial psychological "rewiring" aspect of the Whole30 which is as important as the physiological changes which occur.

• Eggs and veggies cooked ahead of time in muffin tins (paper wrappers or coconut oil spray)

Good tips all 'round! Wanted to comment on this one item though:

(a) I don't know if I'm egg muffin impaired ( :blink:), but I can't seem to make these without them sticking to the wrapper ... I even have doubled-up and used spray & wrappers!

(b) What brand of spray did you find without soy lecithin? Seems all the sprays I've seen, whether it's Pam, olive oil, or coconut all have it. :-/

I'm in....did great in Jan and had several false starts since then (even w/whole 30 daily support). I want to get back to feeling strong, energetic, focused, and content. Was it real or just Brigadoon? ( an archaic reference for you millenials)

Archived