Starting July 1st

misti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my goal for this Whole30 is to be more aware about the emotions and meaning surrounding food and learn how to manage the impact on me. 

I second this! Emotions and food are so intertwined that its hard to even see the patterns. I would like to be more in tune with this as well. I also just read this article on pre-commitment and it really hit home. In terms of thinking ahead & planning on saying "no" even before the temptation arises, and before you let the emotions take control. Something to work on for sure! 

I'm IN! And, truthfully, thinking of having ice cream and Oreos for dinner. Gonna be a rough transition, but I'm COMMITTED!!

that IS what i had for dinner last night. and what i've been thinking about today. but like you i'm committed and also prepared. good luck!

Well halfway through day one and I already almost had a slip!  I went to the doctor's this morning and on the way out I grabbed a wrapped peppermint thinking it would help with coffee breath.  Luckily I tossed it in my bag, not my mouth, and then remembered that I had started W30 and threw it out!  You'd think I wouldn't have had such a brain slip as it had only been an hour since breakfast (3 eggs scrambled in ghee, half a japanese yam, handful of grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado).

Now I'm catching up here and enjoying one of my favorite compliant lunches - a big bowl full of baby spinach leaves (4 or so cups) with about a tablespoon of coconut oil, topped with 2 palms of nom nom paleo's kalua pork.  Delicious!

Hope you all have a great day one!  I think grilled steak and zucchini is on the menu for tonight.

Day 1 is underway. Breakfast was 2 egg frittatas with bacon, chard and mushrooms. Black coffee and 1/2 banana. Went to my pure barre class and had 32 ounces of water so far.

You're going to need to eat more than that.... Eggs, when they are your only source of protein should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most females.... Bacon is a fat source on Whole30. If you've planned the same meal one for tomorrow throw in at least another egg, and I'm guessing double the chard...!!

Trackers like my Fitbit etc are discouraged but journals aren't

Or you may set up a log in Community Your Whole 30 log and post there

I didn't know the Fitbit was discouraged. I must be really in the Whole30 vibe because I just decided yesterday I wasn't going to wear mine for these 30 days. Just want to focus on the eating, breaking habits, dealing with cravings. My workout schedule is partially set, but I'm leaving some "open to interpretation." Lol

Day one for me going well, but getting used to cooking fat is tough for me. My stove was a disastrous mess after lunch, and I personally think I smell like I work in a fast food kitchen. I guess the smell is in my hair. I will get used to it, I'm sure. But my lunch was so yummy! It's on Instagram under my same name "fmr_sailor." 

This will be my first time trying Whole30 after reading a dear friends testimony of it!  I've been slowly cutting out sugary foods for the past week leading up to today to help with the transition. Good luck to everyone!

@fmr_sailor, I didn't know it was discouraged either.  I honestly mostly use my fitness tracker (jawbone up) as an alarm, so I'll keep it on for that purpose and just ignore the step counts!

• Moderators

Trackers like my Fitbit etc are discouraged but journals aren't

Or you may set up a log in Community Your Whole 30 log and post there

Fitbit is an activity tracker, basically a fancy pedometer. That's absolutely fine on Whole30 if you want to track your steps walked/activity level.

You can log your food here or on a blog or with pen and paper, you can take pictures of your food to post here or on Instagram or I hear there's an app that is just pictures of food.

What we don't want you to do is to log your food in something like My Fitness Pal or other calorie trackers, as we want you to eat according to the meal template and eventually to be able to eat according to your hunger and satiety signals (although if you're a long-time dieter or have had problems with disordered eating in the past, it may take a while before you're able to do this as those signals may be messed up, or you may just not know how to interpret them if you've spent a lot of time ignoring or overriding them). Tracking calories, fat grams, carbs, or points is based on some number chosen for you based on averages which may not be right for you, not to mention that many people get so caught up in counting those things that they will eat when they're not hungry to be sure they use up their daily allotment, or they may stop eating even though they're truly hungry because the tracker is telling them they've eaten enough for the day.

My day 1 is half over and have no complaints. I really find all of your daily food choices helpful since planning daily menus is most challenging for me.

I was reminded this afternoon of something learned on my first wh30. REST! Remember to take a rest now and then. You deserve it with all the planning, cooking, different routine.

http://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

Decide for yourself about my Fitbit

Or activity trackers

Oh I see, I think you're talking about 2 different things.  Fitbits and other activity trackers don't count calories or carbs or anything like that, they are like Shannon said, just a fancy pedometer.  I guess it does tell me how many calories I burn though, which I can ignore since it's meaningless information because I won't know how many calories I'm eating.  It's just a lovely way to wake up - to have something vibrate gently on my arm instead of a blaring alarm clock!

Day 1 is going well! I'm a L&D nurse and there's ALWAYS junk food at the nurses station. But I stuck to my plan: eggs, paleo bacon and banana for breakfast. Sweet potato with ghee mid morning. Baked chicken wings and greens beans with grapes for dessert for lunch. For dinner I have spaghetti squash (I use it like pasta and put pasta sauce over it with lean beef). Getting my water in and even enjoyed a La Croix sparkling water with lunch...WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

I know I am not eating enough today due to illness (tooth abscessed) and just not being hungry. I made myself eat 2 soft compliant meals. I hope tomorrow will be better after the dentist.

Yes I hope you feel better soon

Ask if the dentist will provide you with a list of foods to eat

Day 1 is going well! I'm a L&D nurse and there's ALWAYS junk food at the nurses station. But I stuck to my plan: eggs, paleo bacon and banana for breakfast. Sweet potato with ghee mid morning. Baked chicken wings and greens beans with grapes for dessert for lunch. For dinner I have spaghetti squash (I use it like pasta and put pasta sauce over it with lean beef). Getting my water in and even enjoyed a La Croix sparkling water with lunch...WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Be sure to not let fruit push the veggies of your plate - the recommendation is for 1-3 cups per meal, with 3 being optimum. Also, if you're feeling the need for a mid-morning snack maybe up the size of your meal one in general tomorrow to see you through until meal two 4-5hrs later. It generally takes a few days to get your meals portioned right to see you through....

Archived