Starting July 1st

misti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So incredibly irritated. Saw the dentist today but they can't do anything until Tuesday. I'll be spending the weekend in severe pain. Good part of that is I'm not tempted to eat off plan as I don't want to eat at all! Cooking pork chops tonight and cutting them in small, don't have to chew pieces while adding asparagus and 1/2 a potato.I'm miserable but I'll get through this.

Oh no :(  I hope the weekend passes quickly for you and you'll be pain free soon.  

In case it helps, Melissa Joulwan has some nice soup recipes on her website which should be all or mostly compliant:  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/?s=soup  The sweet potato one is particularly good.

I'm really impressed you're sticking with the Whole 30 with this going on!

OMG!!! The applie pie Larabars are AWESOME!!!! If anyone needs a sweet fix, try these!!!!

......and now I'm gonna go eat 47 of them....just playing........a little.

Adrian0808: Hi! I agree -- Lara Bars are delish. However, a couple of quick comments. First, very recently Whole30 actually severed their relationship with RxBars and, I think, Lara Bars for the same reason (http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/ ; for a full list of currently approved items -- http://whole30.com/whole30-approved/ ). Of course, most of the bars contain compliant ingredients and we can still have them as emergency food. The danger is how many of us (I may be at the top of this list) "abuse" this item in ways that don't align with the W30 program. Second, I'm not being critical and am really talking to myself here, because during my first W30 I ate "weigh" (see what I did there) too many of them and I'm positive it affected my weight-loss results. I will not make that same mistake this time. Finally, to tame the sugar dragon you should work to avoid getting a sweet fix, which is totally hard to do, and, again, I'm talking to myself here. But by thinking about treats, a sweet tooth, etc, we keep the dragon alive. Best wishes to you! It's clear that you are committed to this and I know you'll have great success! I look forward to taking this journey together. :) ~Stephanie

Yes! Though that's partly because it's been really hot here so my sleep has been worse than usual. Have you seen the timeline ? That describes commonly felt Whole30 symptoms and when they typically occur.

Yes, I have seen that timeline so I was expecting to be tired (amongst other things), but this is just ridiculous! Lol

Are you including at least one fist sized serving of starchy veg per day? Are you drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight?

I do drink plenty of water, but the starchy veg I haven't been doing. Thanks, I'll give it a try! Can you give me a ballpark on how much fat I should be consuming per day?

I had an almost blip today whilst out for coffee with a friend...I was so tempted by the cherry scones (which I love) then sat opposite her as she ate a scone with butter and jam and cream

I drank ginger tea and felt horribly jealous and sad!

I do drink plenty of water, but the starchy veg I haven't been doing. Thanks, I'll give it a try! Can you give me a ballpark on how much fat I should be consuming per day?

The recommendation is 1-2 thumb sized pieces per meal - or a closed handul of nuts/olives, or some compliant bacon, a dollop of mayo etc... You can pretty much discount the oils you're using to cook your food in as most of it stays in the pan.

A lot of people struggle to visualise that so in my meal three today for example I had a 1/2 an avocado in my salad plus a good drizzle of olive oil over the top. I free pour my oil but I'm guessing it was around two tablespoons. At meal two (also a HUGE salad) I had a handful of olives and a massive dollop of mayo - I'd be afraid to even guess how many spoonfuls. At meal one I had a half an avocado, some oily fish, and all my veg were cooked in lard (plus I had 2 eggs which also have fat). In short fear the fat - it's hard to go over-board.

Day 2 of something I have never tried - a regular, planned meal regiman, or diet, for those who prefer simplicity. After sixty years of eating what ever I wanted, whenever I wanted this was a bit daunting when my sister first told me about it in May. It only took a month for me to fight through "There's no way, a month without honey, wine, cheese (three of my favorites) not to mention my cereal and sandwhiches. Impossiblile!"

But after reading the necessities in Whole30, getting my vegetarian wife onboard, only for support not participation, and practicing for a week prior to starting I don't think it will be as hard as I was wanting to make it.

So far it's been spinach fritatta and olives for breakfast yesterday and kale fritatta with sweet potatoes today. Lunch yesterday was salad with 3 hard boiled eggs and blueberries, strawberries and clementines for desert. Today was chili and sweet potatoes, olives and green grapes with almonds and raisins, and 2 clementines for in-between snacking. Yesterday dinner was spaghetti squash and tomato sauce with turkey, olives, a salmon cake and salad. I finished my bowl of fruit for desert. I also have apple or orange juice to drink with lunch and /or dinner.

I haven't found much about fruit juices except to use as a sweetener. Are they good to be drinking on a regular basis because of the natural sugar content, or should I back off on that and my fruit some? It doessn't feel like it, but I fear I am still getting too much sugar.

@Britishgal - I can sympathise with that one.  My team at work has a weekly 'cake' meeting.  I didn't go to it today to avoid the temptation but then someone brought a whole bag of donuts back to my office and left them by the kettle!  I didn't have any - but it was a close thing.

Day 2 of something I have never tried - a regular, planned meal regiman, or diet, for those who prefer simplicity. After sixty years of eating what ever I wanted, whenever I wanted this was a bit daunting when my sister first told me about it in May. It only took a month for me to fight through "There's no way, a month without honey, wine, cheese (three of my favorites) not to mention my cereal and sandwhiches. Impossiblile!"

But after reading the necessities in Whole30, getting my vegetarian wife onboard, only for support not participation, and practicing for a week prior to starting I don't think it will be as hard as I was wanting to make it.

So far it's been spinach fritatta and olives for breakfast yesterday and kale fritatta with sweet potatoes today. Lunch yesterday was salad with 3 hard boiled eggs and blueberries, strawberries and clementines for desert. Today was chili and sweet potatoes, olives and green grapes with almonds and raisins, and 2 clementines for in-between snacking. Yesterday dinner was spaghetti squash and tomato sauce with turkey, olives, a salmon cake and salad. I finished my bowl of fruit for desert. I also have apple or orange juice to drink with lunch and /or dinner.

I haven't found much about fruit juices except to use as a sweetener. Are they good to be drinking on a regular basis because of the natural sugar content, or should I back off on that and my fruit some? It doessn't feel like it, but I fear I am still getting too much sugar.

Yep, the fruit juice should be used in cooking as a sweetener for sauces, or a splash added to water to make it a bit more interesting. It shouldn't be drunk as is. Also you're snacking on fruit in between meals isn't recommended either a) because your digestive system needs time to rest between meals, and B) because eating fruit on it's own will spike blood sugar levels & feed any sugar cravings you might have. And you are eating a lot of fruit..... The recommendation is 1-2 servings per day - many don't bother with fruit at all.

Up the size of your meals and this should cut out any need for snacks. And you need to re-think the whole dessert idea - maybe finish your meals off with some pickled goods like sauerkraut which will cleanse the palette in the same way, or maybe a mug of herbal tea.

Thanks jmcbn. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but exactly what I needed to here, even though I pretty much suspected. I need to practice, practice, practice my meal portions until it becomes my practice. A lot of this for me has to do with discipine to do the right thing and get out of the "convenience” habit. I've started taking a more active role in my meal prep and clean, rather than just let my wife do everything, although she said she would still do a lot of the cooking, even the meat dishes. She's a vegetarian and is not fond of the smell of meat cooking, so she's being more supportive thann I could have wished for.

Technically I think Japanese yams are sweet potatoes - there's something weird about the yam/sweet potato distinction in the US, but I can't remember what it is.  Real yams aren't sweet, I think.  Anyway.  At the whole foods near me they had a whole display of sweet potato varieties including these "Japanese yams."  I usually get the jewel or garnet ones (I can't tell those apart) but these may be my new favorites!

Ok, I'm totally not trying to make anyone feel worse, but.... I expected to feel awful, carb-flu and all. But I'm ok. I feel fine. My meals are according to the template, properly spaced. I did have a small snack before I started cooking of less than an ounce of almonds, but that was it. I only had two servings of fruit today: a medium apple at lunch, and a tiny fruit cup of pineapple at dinner. So.... Am I doing something wrong? My carbs/dairy were through the roof before I started.

Day 2: Breakfast was organic green juice (30 compliant), 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices of bacon (again 30 compliant), banana and black coffee.  

Lunch was salad made with mixed green, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, avocado. Dressed with eve, vinegar and mustard. Topped with grilled beef. Cherries as a dessert. 40 ounces of water so far. 

Day 2: Breakfast was organic green juice (30 compliant), 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices of bacon (again 30 compliant), banana and black coffee.  

Actually, juicing is discouraged on a Whole30.  The idea is to chew your food vs drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Eat the whole veggies instead: 1-3 cups worth at every meal.  :)

OMG!!! The applie pie Larabars are AWESOME!!!! If anyone needs a sweet fix, try these!!!!

If you have a sweet fix, the best way to address it on a Whole30 is to not feed it with something sweet.

Instead, first ask yourself if you are truly hungry.  The question we use around here is ask if you could eat something bland, like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.   If the answer is no, do something non-food related: call a friend, take a walk around the block, read, do a project or craft, whatever.

Ok, I'm totally not trying to make anyone feel worse, but.... I expected to feel awful, carb-flu and all. But I'm ok. I feel fine. My meals are according to the template, properly spaced. I did have a small snack before I started cooking of less than an ounce of almonds, but that was it. I only had two servings of fruit today: a medium apple at lunch, and a tiny fruit cup of pineapple at dinner. So.... Am I doing something wrong? My carbs/dairy were through the roof before I started.

I never hit a period when I felt awful, and in reading around the forum others didn't either. I wasn't eating perfect before starting, but I wasn't drowning myself in pizza/burgers/fries, etc. I had a lot of sugar when it was around. And I didn't drink soda or coffee, so there weren't any caffeine withdrawals.

If you have a sweet fix, the best way to address it on a Whole30 is to not feed it with something sweet.

Instead, first ask yourself if you are truly hungry.  The question we use around here is ask if you could eat something bland, like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.   If the answer is no, do something non-food related: call a friend, take a walk around the block, read, do a project or craft, whatever.

...and when I saw them, I actually wasn't hungry at all...was just curious to try them since I saw them in the W30 Instagram page. I'm putting them away until day 31

From my experience, if you were eating pretty well to begin with (which, from reading some of your posts, seems like it might be the case) your "carb-flu" symptoms may not be bad at all, and a lot of people who are eating pretty healthy never experience them.  Personally, I do tend to get those symptoms, but they never hit as early as other people tell me they will.  In the past two W30 that I've done, I didn't start feeling them until well into the fourth day. 

I think you are doing it just right

I'll tell you my very first time back in May I really never had too bad of a time either I felt ok and

Now I don't miss much

Day 2 - Breakfast was three scrambled eggs with spinach, avocado and ghee plus one cup of coffee with ghee and coconut oil. Lunch was chicken vegetable soup and an orange. Supper was baked fish, a sweet potato and green beans with ghee. I also snacked on less than half an ounce of pistachios. My goals for tomorrow are to drink more plain water (all I had today was several cans of LaCroix) and to cook the other veggies in my fridge (asparagus, zucchini, parsnips, kale).

So I just finished my massive Kitchen Clean Out in preparation for starting the program on Sunday. I think it is probably a bad thing that I haven't even started the first week yet and I'm already exhausted?  I'm looking forward to the end of the second week when the boundless energy usually hits me.

I've done the clean out each time I did the program previously, and it has always been very helpful in those moments of temptation.  Unfortunately, this time everything is a little different.  Before I had a roommate that ate out a lot and very rarely cooked at home. As a result, I was able to shift all of the non-compliant items over to a single cabinet on the far side of the kitchen where I would never even have to come near them. Now I have two new roommates, and they almost never eat out and they cook at home nearly every night. So I have about three pantry shelves for my items, and it is sharing a cabinet with some non-compliant items that just wouldn't fit anywhere else.  They are all on a bottom shelf and my current strategy is to pretend that shelf doesn't exist when I reach for my coconut milk. My biggest kitchen concern right now is the refrigerator. It's about half full and not with my food, because I don't go shopping until tomorrow.

Despite these early pre-program set backs, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm going to rock this. At least, I think it is confidence, and not just that last cupcake I grudgingly finished off.

Archived