Starting July 1st

misti

Actually, juicing is discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Eat the whole veggies instead: 1-3 cups worth at every meal. :)

I know it's discouraged and I eat plenty of veggies with every meal. But once in a while it's ok, especially the green juice.

VEGETABLE JUICE: yes

We aren’t big fans of drinking your food, but we approve of using vegetable juice as a way to get extra nutrients into your day. However, juice should never take the place of eating real vegetables! Chewing and swallowing your Good Food is always your top Whole30 priority. You’ll probably want to juice it yourself (or use a blender of sorts), as most prepackaged “vegetable juices” are actually mostly fruit, or contain off-plan ingredients.”

Excerpt From: Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig. “The Whole30.” Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015-04-03. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/j1BB4.le is the quote from the book:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's discouraged and I eat plenty of veggies with every meal. But once in a while it's ok, especially the green juice.

In the meal 1 you listed, it did not include any whole vegetables: just eggs, bacon, banana, coffee and green juice. For best results and satiety, do have 1-3 cups of whole vegetables at each meal.

My husband and I officially began our journey, yesterday, even though we had already given up grains and most sugars and dairy this past year. It took beginning the 1st to actually take ALL sugars and dairy away. My one true sadness is giving up my flavored creamer (sugar-free of course...ha). All of my adult life, I have been in love with coffee. I can honestly say that I rarely go without having a cup or two every day. HOWEVER, now I have to drink it black .....having a hard time with it. I barely made through one cup these last two days. 

Any advise?  :)

. HOWEVER, now I have to drink it black .....having a hard time with it. I barely made through one cup these last two days. 

Any advise?  :)

Have you tried blending compliant coconut milk into your coffee?

Or, trying a different coffee brand? Some brands and beans taste better black.

Day 2 went well.  I realized today how much of my children's food I pop into my mouth without even thinking.   A chunk of cheese here, a spoonful of mac & cheese there.  I had the same breakfast as yesterday, 1 egg over sweet potato/apple/pancetta hash & wilted greens.  For lunch I had a left over burger, roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad, and for dinner I made the Korean Ribs from Nomnompaleo.  I served them with the Cauliflower Rice and steamed carrots.  That 'rice' is awesome!  I could eat that all day long!!

I know I'm not suppose to 'fear the fat' but after doing Weight Watchers for 8+ year I can't help but worry that I'm going to pack on the pounds.  I do also realize the irony of participating in WW, eating low-fat everything and not losing the weight, still can't wrap my head around the fat...

Day 2 done! I'm feeling a little headache coming on and slept fitfully last night. On the bright side, I'm doing okay with my meals. I'm following the meal template, which helps A LOT!!!

On another note, can someone tell me if these ingredients are compliant:

Organic almond milk (filtered water, organic almonds), tricalcuim phosphate, sea salt, potassium citrate, organic locust bean gum, gellan gum, organic sunflower lecithin, organic vanilla flavor, vitamin A palminate, vitamin D, DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL-ACETATE (vitamin E)

Thanks! :)

Day 2 went well. I realized today how much of my children's food I pop into my mouth without even thinking. A chunk of cheese here, a spoonful of mac & cheese there. I had the same breakfast as yesterday, 1 egg over sweet potato/apple/pancetta hash & wilted greens. For lunch I had a left over burger, roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad, and for dinner I made the Korean Ribs from Nomnompaleo. I served them with the Cauliflower Rice and steamed carrots. That 'rice' is awesome! I could eat that all day long!!

I know I'm not suppose to 'fear the fat' but after doing Weight Watchers for 8+ year I can't help but worry that I'm going to pack on the pounds. I do also realize the irony of participating in WW, eating low-fat everything and not losing the weight, still can't wrap my head around the fat...

It takes some getting used to but you really don't have to fear the fat! Believe me, I came from the same dietary mindset and had to see it myself to believe it. Fat is necessary and good! Your body needs it for all kinds of biological processes and it is what keeps you satiated and keeps those cravings at bay.

When eggs are your only protein source be sure to eat as many as you can hold in one hand. For most that is 3-4. Depending on him much pancetta was in your hash maybe 2 eggs would be enough, but most likely 3.

Day 2 went well.  I realized today how much of my children's food I pop into my mouth without even thinking.   A chunk of cheese here, a spoonful of mac & cheese there.  I had the same breakfast as yesterday, 1 egg over sweet potato/apple/pancetta hash & wilted greens.  For lunch I had a left over burger, roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad, and for dinner I made the Korean Ribs from Nomnompaleo.  I served them with the Cauliflower Rice and steamed carrots.  That 'rice' is awesome!  I could eat that all day long!!

I know I'm not suppose to 'fear the fat' but after doing Weight Watchers for 8+ year I can't help but worry that I'm going to pack on the pounds.  I do also realize the irony of participating in WW, eating low-fat everything and not losing the weight, still can't wrap my head around the fat...

I "fear the fat," too. And I "fear the cholesterol!" The struggle is real. :)

I "fear the fat," too. And I "fear the cholesterol!" The struggle is real. :)

Be assured that the myth that dietary cholesterol has an impact on blood cholesterol & heart disease has long since been debunked! Embrace the fat!  :wub:

Organic almond milk (filtered water, organic almonds), tricalcuim phosphate, sea salt, potassium citrate, organic locust bean gum, gellan gum, organic sunflower lecithin, organic vanilla flavor, vitamin A palminate, vitamin D, DL-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL-ACETATE (vitamin E)

Thanks! :)

This looks okay to me although I'd question the organic vanilla flavour which can sometimes be a sugar of sorts or contain alcohol, and without contacting the brand it'd be hard to tell, so I'd probably look for a better option ie. one with less ingredients!!

I, too, struggle with the alcohol. It has derailed my previous attempts to do a 2nd round (I did find my beloved red wine WAS causing congestion) so I switched to vodka....which goes down too easily. When I did Whole 30 in January, I announced it to my friends and they were very supportive. I got a Soda Stream and have Homemade Club Soda every night.

I tell myself the Liver can't metabolize Fat when it is busy metabolizing Alcohol. ( I don't know if there is any scientific back up for that).

RE your sons- they grow up- it takes about a decade.

gigizachry - you're soo right! This is the perfect opportunity to pay your liver some respect! PS: Don't tell me it takes a decade for your teenage sons to grow up, at that rate my boys will be living with me until they're nearly 30! :o

Day 2 went well. I realized today how much of my children's food I pop into my mouth without even thinking. A chunk of cheese here, a spoonful of mac & cheese there. I had the same breakfast as yesterday, 1 egg over sweet potato/apple/pancetta hash & wilted greens. For lunch I had a left over burger, roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad, and for dinner I made the Korean Ribs from Nomnompaleo. I served them with the Cauliflower Rice and steamed carrots. That 'rice' is awesome! I could eat that all day long!!

I know I'm not suppose to 'fear the fat' but after doing Weight Watchers for 8+ year I can't help but worry that I'm going to pack on the pounds. I do also realize the irony of participating in WW, eating low-fat everything and not losing the weight, still can't wrap my head around the fat...

Follow the a Template and have faith your health will improve... You won't be sorry!

This looks okay to me although I'd question the organic vanilla flavour which can sometimes be a sugar of sorts or contain alcohol, and without contacting the brand it'd be hard to tell, so I'd probably look for a better option ie. one with less ingredients!!

Thank you very much!!!! I will do that. Have an awesome day! :)

I have been using Weight Watchers for loss/maintenance for almost 14 years! I'm also currently a leader, which kind of makes me feel like a traitor, but for a long time WW worked very well for me. But over time you learn more, so you do better. That's why I'm doing my first Whole30 right now. I'm fascinated by nutrition studies and information and this program was very compelling. Strangely enough, I've embraced the fat better than I expected. It makes everything taste SO GOOD. The way sugar used to.....

So Day 3..... Woke with a slight headache and a tiny bit of nausea, but I know it's because I'm really hungry. Gonna get breakfast into me within the hour. Otherwise, I feel pretty good. I'm registered to run a four mile race tomorrow. Should be interesting. I do love to challenge myself, but I'm just wanting to run it and finish. Not expecting anything spectacular. Of course a July race in NC on its own is hard to get a good time in because it's hot, humid, and miserable outside!

Last night I almost caved and went to the corner shop for chocolate. I was stopped by my son who reminded me how sick I get after eating it and that I promised him I was giving up sugar for 30 days...he even reminded me how many days I have left.

Who'd have thought a 7 year old little boy could be so sensible! Particularly as a trip to the shop always leads to him getting a treat.

I underestimated how busy my mama/self employed/PTA member life is at this time of year. I'm exhausted but hoping I can push through it all and not fall off the wagon...especially at the school fête cake stall and Pimms bar next weekend...

So far so good, but have had a headache for two days. Anyone else going through any withdrawal symptoms? I'm assuming it's sugar and alcohol. I'm also thinking I should be on the lowFODMAP shopping list, which I'm going to start soon. Thanks everyone, glad to be here.

Last night I almost caved and went to the corner shop for chocolate. I was stopped by my son who reminded me how sick I get after eating it and that I promised him I was giving up sugar for 30 days...he even reminded me how many days I have left.

Who'd have thought a 7 year old little boy could be so sensible! Particularly as a trip to the shop always leads to him getting a treat.

I underestimated how busy my mama/self employed/PTA member life is at this time of year. I'm exhausted but hoping I can push through it all and not fall off the wagon...especially at the school fête cake stall and Pimms bar next weekend...

Your son sounds adorable.  Congrats on successful parenting skills leading to a child who at seven years old can help you think clearly in a moment of weakness. You should be proud.

My 9yr old is really into nutrition & through various conversations actually got his Gymnastics Coach on board for Whole30 - he's just starting reintros then coming back for round two   :P

I have been using Weight Watchers for loss/maintenance for almost 14 years! I'm also currently a leader, which kind of makes me feel like a traitor, but for a long time WW worked very well for me. But over time you learn more, so you do better. That's why I'm doing my first Whole30 right now. I'm fascinated by nutrition studies and information and this program was very compelling. Strangely enough, I've embraced the fat better than I expected. It makes everything taste SO GOOD. The way sugar used to.....

Thank you SO much for sharing that you're a WW leader and lifetimer. I attend WW meetings every week but am currently not tracking or letting them tell me what I weigh. W30 really makes sense to me. I realize that I'd much rather have a 2pt egg than a 0pt processed, fake, no-fat item! I tried to do Simply Filling, but it didn't align with my thoughts about food (avocado!). I'm fully committed to W30, but I do feel a bit like I'm cheating in some respects on an important relationship. I have a lot of weight to lose 100 lbs), so I think what I'm going to do is a "by the book" W30 (or longer if needed) and then post-W30 I may track again, but eat a W30-esque diet. As the time gets closer, I'd love to hear your post-W30 plans.

Seems like several folks in this group are posting pictures of their Whole30 journeys on Instagram. I think this is a great idea, so I joined Instagram yesterday and will do the same. Feel free to follow me @stephs100lbsorbust. Happy Day 3, everyone!

Archived