Starting July 1st

misti

I get my fizzy water in a glass with lemon and ice and tell anyone who asks that it's gin ;)

Gin is my drink of choice for the summer anyway, so when I get club soda at bars my friends don't know the difference... until they notice that I'm not making poor life choices for the night.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jmcbn and @meGA"gardener"

okay...it's 4pm here but I work in hospital so I can't leave the unit (I'm the charge nurse today). But I do have a sweet potato that I can eat...and I havent had enough water today...AND I did have a banana with breakfast and some cherries with lunch...okay...microwave here I come. Maybe I can get one of my coworkers to wheel me into the breakroom? LOL

thanks guys...

I've seen a lot of people recommending this equation for how much water to drink. Does anyone have any insight as to where that particular suggestion originates from?

It's a fairly widely known equation first calculated by a Dr Fereydoon Batmanghelidj who studied the role that dehydration and water played in certain cancers and gastrointestinal diseases. He wrote a book called Your Body's Many Cries For Water.

I believe the equation is based on the fact that the human body is made up of 70% water, and since we are constantly losing water through sweat, urinating etc we have a constant need to replace it.

Interestingly he didn't believe that dietary cholesterol effected blood cholesterol or heart health either.

I like this quote of his - it's very Whole30...

"If all the primary ingredients are available for its normal functions, the human body does not engage in making things that are bad for its survival"

• Administrators

"If all the primary ingredients are available for its normal functions, the human body does not engage in making things that are bad for its survival"

LOVE this!

Happy 4th of July US friends!!! :)

I can't believe how many contributors we have on this thread. In previous threads I've been involved in, I'd wake the next morning to find maybe 1 page added each day, and later in the month, sometimes no-one would post! Now I'm catching up on 2-3 pages overnight - keep it up!

Thank you SO much for sharing that you're a WW leader and lifetimer. I attend WW meetings every week but am currently not tracking or letting them tell me what I weigh. W30 really makes sense to me. I realize that I'd much rather have a 2pt egg than a 0pt processed, fake, no-fat item! I tried to do Simply Filling, but it didn't align with my thoughts about food (avocado!). I'm fully committed to W30, but I do feel a bit like I'm cheating in some respects on an important relationship. I have a lot of weight to lose 100 lbs), so I think what I'm going to do is a "by the book" W30 (or longer if needed) and then post-W30 I may track again, but eat a W30-esque diet. As the time gets closer, I'd love to hear your post-W30 plans.

Hey sbrad28, it must be super confusing switching between eating plans! To be successful at anything you really need to buy into the theory, so now you're having to switch from what WW has taught you, to what the Hartwig's theory on eating is. How do other people deal with this ie: changing a long-standing mindset on food, overnight? I personally haven't 100% bought into any other eating plan, until I came across the W30. Now I have to bite my tongue when nay-sayers try to convince me that grains are OK...not saying I never eat non-compliant food when I'm not W30ing, but at least I am making the choice to do so, knowing it's not great for my health and well-being.

Now don't get me wrong, my son is a great kid, we're just going through a transitional time as he approaches 18 and I'm losing my mind!!!

A Paleo restaurant/market opened in my town!  Going there today to check it out!  What serendipitous timing.

BeckyB, my eldest son is also close to turning 18 - as quoted in the comedy movie Airplane (or Flying High in Australia), "I picked a great day to give up (insert doubtful substance here)"!!! Mine is wine. (Not missing it by the way)...

Just finished breakfast: compliant sausages, grilled tomoato, celery & cashews fried in macadamia nut oil, small bowl of fruit salad.

Win!

I was deciding whether to make salmon cakes or give Wednesday night's leftover salmon to the cat, when I decided to google W30 salmon cake recipes.

Success! I happened across the words 'waffle iron salmon cakes' and the lazy part of me was intrigued so I read on...

This great recipe from GrassFedMamma was just what the doctor ordered: http://www.grassfedmama.com/2013/11/12/waffle-iron-mania-salmon-cakes-trim-healthy-mama-style-s/

I pulled my 'toasted sandwich maker' out of hiding and toasted away. I made a few changes to the recipe ie: used fresh cooked salmon and chopped frozen onion & capsicum. Also, next time I'll add another egg or two because I like  moist salmon cake. Also, be sure to pile the sandwich maker or waffle iron high with mixture, so that it fills the cavity. Otherwise you'll need to flip your cake which can lead to crumbling.

Enjoy!

@MeGA and jmcbn:

Thanks for the info. One of the things that I am planning on doing during this W30 is a lot of research on the nutritional science behind the program and nutritional science in general, so the WebMD article as well as the name of the doctor who originally put this equation out there will both help in that area.

Win!

I was deciding whether to make salmon cakes or give Wednesday night's leftover salmon to the cat, when I decided to google W30 salmon cake recipes.

Success! I happened across the words 'waffle iron salmon cakes' and the lazy part of me was intrigued so I read on...

This great recipe from GrassFedMamma was just what the doctor ordered: http://www.grassfedmama.com/2013/11/12/waffle-iron-mania-salmon-cakes-trim-healthy-mama-style-s/

I pulled my 'toasted sandwich maker' out of hiding and toasted away. I made a few changes to the recipe ie: used fresh cooked salmon and chopped frozen onion & capsicum. Also, next time I'll add another egg or two because I like moist salmon cake. Also, be sure to pile the sandwich maker or waffle iron high with mixture, so that it fills the cavity. Otherwise you'll need to flip your cake which can lead to crumbling.

Enjoy!

I also tried a new recipe for salmon tonight. I wanted peaches so badly, but wanted to eat them "Whole30 style," so I ended up with oven baked salmon with grilled peaches and onions over arugula topped with a ginger thyme vinaigrette. It was easy, few ingredients, pretty AND delicious. I haven't eaten salmon in over 10 years, and I loved every bite. (You can see the photo on Instagram @fmr_sailor.)

Day 3✅. I felt a little irritable today but nothing too bad. Noticing how many times I feel the need to offer a 'treat'. As in, we haven't had ice cream in a week, we should have some! Just ignore that donut we had yesterday and he cookie the day before that. I think my sugar dragon may be more real that I thought. For dinner tonight I made the coleslaw from the book- so good! Our dinner guest said he does not like coleslaw but liked that. In addition we had perch brushed with ghee, dill, garlic, & lemon juice, roasted potato 'fries', and steamed green beans.

I'm still working on having more protein for breakfast-I don't think I can eat more than two eggs! Also, if anyone has any great easy to digest breakfasts that don't include eggs or greasy meat I'm all ears. Hubby had eggs and it just wasn't pretty. Stupid non-existent gall bladder!

• Moderators

I'm still working on having more protein for breakfast-I don't think I can eat more than two eggs! Also, if anyone has any great easy to digest breakfasts that don't include eggs or greasy meat I'm all ears. Hubby had eggs and it just wasn't pretty. Stupid non-existent gall bladder!

Anything you eat any other time of day works great for breakfast, you just have to get out of the mindset of there being certain "breakfast" foods. Some people find it helpful to think of breakfast as Meal1 instead -- it helps to reframe that way of thinking. There's lots of past discussions of non-egg breakfasts on the forum, google Whole30 non-egg breakfast to find them. There's also this thread.

I'm not sure how you're having your eggs, but instead of adding another egg, you might try two eggs and some other meat. I usually scramble my eggs, and will just scramble them with vegetables and whatever leftover meat I have on hand. Ground beef, diced chicken, whatever. 

Day 3 -breakfast was three scrambled eggs with spinach and avocado plus coffee with ghee and coconut oil. Lunch was chicken vegetable soup and a salad of tomato, cucumber, red onion and avocado dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Supper was baked fish and a sweet potato and green beans with ghee. I had a handful of pistachios for a snack. Today I did a little better at getting in my water, but I need to continue to work on that.

I'm in I started the whole 30 on July 1st. I'm doing the whole 30 to lose weight (30 pounds) and to see an improvement in my health too especially managing my asthma. On day 1 and day 2 I suffered with a headache. I've also been experiencing stomach mild stomach pain after meals. Other than that I feel great. My stomach feels empty as opposed to full all the time. It's a weird feeling I have to adapt too. I've lost 4 lbs without exercising or going to the gym. The weight loss is motivating me to stay on track to complete the whole 30. I am craving sugary food like ice cream, donuts, chocolate ..

I went to the supermarket yesterday and found a yogurt which has been labelled as paleo friendly. Its the collaborative coconut yogurt. Is this allowed during the whole 30? There are no added sugars. They do an ice cream which is definitely not allowed during the whole 30.

• Moderators

I'm in I started the whole 30 on July 1st. I'm doing the whole 30 to lose weight (30 pounds) and to see an improvement in my health too especially managing my asthma. On day 1 and day 2 I suffered with a headache. I've also been experiencing stomach mild stomach pain after meals. Other than that I feel great. My stomach feels empty as opposed to full all the time. It's a weird feeling I have to adapt too. I've lost 4 lbs without exercising or going to the gym. The weight loss is motivating me to stay on track to complete the whole 30. I am craving sugary food like ice cream, donuts, chocolate ..

Not weighing yourself is a rule of Whole30. Stop weighing yourself. Find other motivation, like getting healthy or exploring new foods. As you go through the next month, you may notice less bloating, better sleep, better skin, a general sense of contentment, and more energy. Those are the things to think about for motivation.

For the coconut yogurt, I'd ask how you're planning to use it. Are you going to use a bit in a recipe, for a sauce, for instance? That's OK. Are you going to have it for breakfast with fruit and nuts because you miss your normal breakfast foods? That would be missing an opportunity to focus on one of the often overlooked parts of a whole30, changing how you think about food.

If you do choose to use it, remember that it is a fat source.

Help! Both husband and I are experiencing inflamed mouths- they fell strange and are extra sensitive, even my toothpaste burned... Anyone else experiencing this?

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me - are you eating anything new? Or a lot more of something you rarely ate before?

Happy day 4!

I woke up this morning shattered (after 9 hours of sleep) and achy and completely disinterested in food. I had to force down breakfast and really want to sleep some more! I have a busy day though so that's not going to happen ;(

Luckily I don't want to kill all things...I know that is meant to happen about now but I've never experienced it...I just want to sleep on all things...

Not weighing yourself is a rule of Whole30. Stop weighing yourself. Find other motivation, like getting healthy or exploring new foods. As you go through the next month, you may notice less bloating, better sleep, better skin, a general sense of contentment, and more energy. Those are the things to think about for motivation.

For the coconut yogurt, I'd ask how you're planning to use it. Are you going to use a bit in a recipe, for a sauce, for instance? That's OK. Are you going to have it for breakfast with fruit and nuts because you miss your normal breakfast foods? That would be missing an opportunity to focus on one of the often overlooked parts of a whole30, changing how you think about food.

If you do choose to use it, remember that it is a fat source.

Thank you Shannon for your reply. I ate the coconut yogurt one day as a snack with strawberries and blueberries.

I will stop weighing myself. i wanted to see if the whole 30 would kickstart my weight loss for me. I felt like I was eating a larger quantity of food than before. I wanted to make sure my portion sizes were not too large so I used the scales to show me .( sorry for posting twice ... An error message appears each time I tried to post my reply and so I'm surprised my half completed post is here.

Archived