Starting July 1st

misti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm struggling today. We're going to a BBQ and I don't care about the food, I want a drink. Our friends are all drinkers and there will be alcohol. I keep telling myself the only thing I'm missing is the hangover.

I'm struggling today. We're going to a BBQ and I don't care about the food, I want a drink. Our friends are all drinkers and there will be alcohol. I keep telling myself the only thing I'm missing is the hangover.

Can you take some kind of virgin mocktail with you? Some kind of fancy fruit infused sparkling water served over crushed ice?

I know it doesn't help now, but you'll probably find that you won't want that drink just as much when your Whole30 is done.

Someone recommended sparkling water or compliant club soda with an olive and a lemon slice. I tried it when out with friends who were drinking and it really did help. Very refreshing, and I didn't miss my wine at all... or hardly at all. :)

Thank you. I *know* that and when you say it, it seems so obvious. Haha. I'm taking my la croix and some fruit salad so that will be easy. Tastes great, looks fancy, no one asks where my drink is or if I'm pregnant. Thanks again!

I'm a bit of a drinker, most of my closest friends are drinkers, and I r-e-a-l-l-y enjoy good dark beer and wine. However, with the exception a couple of days in between W30s, I have abstained for about six weeks (my first W30 started mid-May). I credit this first to being mindful/mind-over-matter, and second to LaCroix, which I have become a bit obsessed with. I can put it in a koozie like I would have with beer when getting together with friends, and I can put it in a cup/glass with a few pieces of frozen fruit at the end of the day. (Note: This is not a dessert substitute in my mind. This small pleasure does so much good for my psyche.) I'm surprised as anyone else (one friend asked "Who are you and what have you done with Stephanie?"!) but I'm totally fine not drinking (though I do daydream about milk stouts and vanilla porters). One tip... Try to be confident and not apologetic about your decision if anyone gives you any grief about your not drinking. I figure, my friends can either support me or they can go jump off of a proverbial bridge. Some folks may be initially shocked that you aren't drinking and just need to hear that you're ok with it. For example, recently I went to dinner with a friend -- when she ordered wine, I asked for water. She made a pouty face and said "Awwwwww nooooooo." I said that this didn't in any way negatively impact our time together and she gets to have a better me! :) She proceeded to have four glasses of wine and I proceeded to save a bunch of money. :)

Good luck today, Rissee! You can do this! Let us know how it goes. I can't wait to celebrate your NSV!

Thank you. I *know* that and when you say it, it seems so obvious. Haha. I'm taking my la croix and some fruit salad so that will be easy. Tastes great, looks fancy, no one asks where my drink is or if I'm pregnant. Thanks again!

Yay!!! As soon as I posted a message to you, I saw this one! Thumbs WAY up!

@britishgal thank you for the message about the weighing scales. the scales are no longer in my bedroom and out of the way. I was waking up at 5am and looking forward to weighing myself!!! I seem to be waking up earlier during the whole 30. I return to bed to sleep some more.

Definitely experiencing Kill All The Things right now. And Eat All The Things too. As a matter of fact, I think I want to Kill and Eat All The Things. Heaven help me and those around me! Haha

Wondering if it's because my post-WO snack made me full, and I skipped M1. oops....

Definitely experiencing Kill All The Things right now. And Eat All The Things too. As a matter of fact, I think I want to Kill and Eat All The Things. Heaven help me and those around me! Haha

Wondering if it's because my post-WO snack made me full, and I skipped M1. oops....

This cracked me up!  Probably because it rings true.  Today was a hard one!  I couldn't tell if my 6 year old was being exceptionally difficult or if my tolerance was much lower.

Day 6 and I'm sick with a sore throat/ cold that I caught from my daughter. I have my chicken soup simmering on the stove now. Aside from the cold I feel like a ball of gas. Lol! I'm super bloated :(

I had been really tired since starting my W30 and I upped my starchy veg intake as advised and was starting to feel better. I was ready to start back at the gym then I got this darn cold! I hardly ever get sick! What a bummer...

Day 6 and I'm sick with a sore throat/ cold that I caught from my daughter. I have my chicken soup simmering on the stove now. Aside from the cold I feel like a ball of gas. Lol! I'm super bloated :(

I had been really tired since starting my W30 and I upped my starchy veg intake as advised and was starting to feel better. I was ready to start back at the gym then I got this darn cold! I hardly ever get sick! What a bummer...

Chicken soup or broth will be perfect for dealing with the cold, and you can also go for bland foods like mashed potato and scrambled egg...

Re the bloat have you been eating a lot of raw or cruciferous veg? A lot of nuts and/or nut butters? Or drinking a lot of seltzer? Or even a lot of iced water? All can cause bloating as can peppers or any veg with a similar type of skin.

Obviously you'll be easing off on all of the above if you're not feeling well, but you could also start including fermented foods like sauerkraut or kombucha if you're not already doing so, or add in a digestive enzyme.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Rissee (you'll soon notice I reply to ALL the alcohol related posts - LOL)!    cheers.gif

I found that Kombucha is a fantastic substitute for social situations that involve drinking, as it generally comes in a bottle that looks like an aocoholic mixer drink. It has a small alcohol content due to the fermentation, but if no sugar is added after the fermentation process it is completely compliant, tasty and good for you. The only problem is that generally you shouldn't drink more than a bottle (2 at the very most) in a sitting as it can upset your stomach if over consumed.

I can't seem to quote people. Thanks all! I guess I just need a reminder.

Click on the quote or multiquote buttons under the post you want to quote. :0)

In a word...YES! ;). Takes some trial and error to get that part right. In part it's the timeline, too. Hang in there and have some extra carby veggies! Tomorrow is another day.

Just me and the neurotic dog today. She doesn't do well with fireworks so I'm a 4th of July hermit. I sort of have those tendencies anyway, so fine by me. Pork ribs are sitting in their rub marinating, Well Fed's Kick Ass Ketchup is made and will be turned into BBQ sauce. I can't wait!! Happy Independence Day to all of us in the USA!

We r hiding out for the 4th as well. I'm not feeling well and my Hubby is afraid he will crack under the cookout pressure. I also crave really crappy food when the fibro hits sooooo better to stay away. Happy 4th to all!

• Moderators

Any suggestion for a prerun snack??

In general, pre-workout should be a combination of protein and fat. Try a hard boiled egg or two (or eggs some other way if you prefer, hard boiled tends to be easy to keep in the fridge to grab and go). Or if not that, maybe chicken and mayo or something like that. Some people do use nuts for a pre-workout fat source, but I'd be cautious about that because many people find nuts can cause digestive issues, not something you want in the middle of a run.

Well. I am right on track timeline-wise. Entering the kill all things phase. Today I got mad at my husband because he took a nap! (After 6 hours of parades and 100 degree 4th of july celebrations he was more than entitled to). Then I snapped at my daughter for leaving one too many things out of place. 

Then an hour later I laid down and took a 2 hour nap. I think the next phase is starting...lol

The good news? Today is the first day I haven't had a headache!!!! AND I am NEVER hungry,

Looking forward to some more good things!!!!

PS...I did apologize to my family :)

PS #2: Is anyone else having trouble sleeping???? I feel jittery at night and keep waking up. Last night I got 3 consecutive hours at the most.

Today was a toughie indeed. My mouth is starting to feel better but it's still not great. My six year old was incredibly trying today and I spent most if the morning wondering why I'm doing this at all. I went to take a B vitamin and it has rice in it & all I could think was "this is so stupid, I'm not even supposed to take my vitamin! People all over the world eat rice & are just fine!" I was much calmer after lunch but still a bit stressed by how my body is reacting.

Today's meals- eggs over sautéed cabbage, compliant sausage with roasted potatoes and leftover coleslaw, grilled steak & shrimp with citrus marinade, grilled mushrooms & onions, steamed broccoli & hashbrowns. I did have one snack today- I sliced open a banana, spread o. Some almond butter & topped with walnuts for a crunch. I needed a little more after lunch.

Well, I've finished up Independence Day festivities--meaning I've had my Mint Julep and made my peace with giving up alcohol for the next thirty days. My official W30 experience is starting tomorrow morning (five days after most of the others on this thread). Reading through everyone's posts has reminded me of just how tough that first week is, but I'm determined to make it through it, and hopefully some of you will be hitting the great-feelings phase that I generally hit at the end of the second week just as I am hitting the hardest part of my first week. That will give me something for a little extra encouragement, so thanks for that in advance.

As to preparations for tomorrow, everything is all set. I have roasted a chicken to turn into protein salad for lunch and the bones are in the slow-cooker infusing my chicken broth. I made up a batch of homemade mayo. I did all the vegetable prep for tomorrow morning's Spinach Frittata so that all I have to do is mix everything up and slide it in the oven when I wake up. I roasted a spaghetti squash and made tomato sauce for dinner tomorrow night. Then I cleaned up the huge mess I had created in my kitchen. I am ready for this thing! (And by this thing, I mean bed.)

Goodnight All

Archived