Starting July 1st

misti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, all! I'm on day 26 of my first Whole30 and would like some advice. I want to extend my Whole30 because I still have a few food "issues." Though I've eaten on plan the whole time (Every. Single, Thing. -- woo hoo!), I cannot stop thinking about a bowl of ice cream and a nice draft beer (not together, of course :) ). Other food cravings have subsided, though, which is great. Since I still have unhealthy cravings, I had planned to extend my Whole 30 by a little bit, but now I'm strongly considering joining this group. Since there's a Whole30 starting July 1st, do you think I should 1) go all the way through without stopping (so I'll wind up with a Whole68), 2) stop my first one early so I can get in a full reintroduction phase (I won't have time to do a full reintroduction between Whole30s if I go the full time on my first one), 3) go the full time on my first one and just have a short reintroduction period, or 4) something else?

Thanks for your advice! I look forward to (hopefully) Whole30ing with you all!

• Moderators

Anyone else pregnant and doing this (new or experienced)? I'm 24 weeks and hoping to get my nutrition in check and energy levels up heading into my 3rd trimester. Plus I know dairy will need to be cut out once I have the baby (my other 2 have had dairy protein issues so I always cut it out while breastfeeding anyway) and I'm hoping if I can get my nutrition up it will help increase my milk supply once baby comes. I really need to get these cravings under control!

There's a whole section of the forum for ladies who are pregnant or breastfeeding, you might want to check it out: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/15-whole30-while-pregnant-or-breastfeeding/

I'm eager to start my first whole 30 but I'm nervous that my life style might create some challenges. I just moved back to the Boston area after living on a small Caribbean island for eight months. I think my body and health could really use a whole30 but I'm in a transition time of my life. I'm living between two houses (one with friends, the other with parents) and right now my biggest challenge is keeping a fridge stocked and finding simple recipes to cook fast. Does anyone have any whole30, healthy, simple, and easy recipes they would like to share? Also, any tips for going out for drinks with friends? I don't want my social life to suffer because I'm trying to become more healthy.

• Moderators

Can I have Chipolte if I only do the meat and veggies?

For any restaurant, you have to find out what ingredients they use. Meat sounds like it ought to be safe, but it can be marinaded in a combination of ingredients including soy sauce and sweeteners, and it can be cooked in off-plan oils, like peanut or soy oil or butter. And some places even use a little flour on even plain grilled meats to help with browning.

For chipotle, there have been previous discussions here on the forum -- google whole30 chipotle to find those discussions. The last time I heard, carnitas are the only compliant meat choice. I think guac was OK, and maybe some of the salsas but I'm pretty sure there's some salsa that is not.

For large chain restaurants, go to the restaurant's website and see what information you can find. An allergen list can rule out many things, since they'll usually let you figure out which things are dairy, gluten, peanut, and soy free, but that still doesn't tell you about corn, beans, or sweeteners.

For small, independent restaurants, they may have information online, or you may have better luck calling ahead during a non-busy time and discussing your requirements.

For any restaurant, you have to find out what ingredients they use. Meat sounds like it ought to be safe, but it can be marinaded in a combination of ingredients including soy sauce and sweeteners, and it can be cooked in off-plan oils, like peanut or soy oil or butter. And some places even use a little flour on even plain grilled meats to help with browning.

For chipotle, there have been previous discussions here on the forum -- google whole30 chipotle to find those discussions. The last time I heard, carnitas are the only compliant meat choice. I think guac was OK, and maybe some of the salsas but I'm pretty sure there's some salsa that is not.

For large chain restaurants, go to the restaurant's website and see what information you can find. An allergen list can rule out many things, since they'll usually let you figure out which things are dairy, gluten, peanut, and soy free, but that still doesn't tell you about corn, beans, or sweeteners.

For small, independent restaurants, they may have information online, or you may have better luck calling ahead during a non-busy time and discussing your requirements.

Thanks so much! I'm preparing myself as much possible before the 1st because failure is not an option. I just might have to break up temporary with the love of my life, Mr Chipotle...LOL

How fun that this forum was started by another "Misti".  Okay, I'm actually a "Misty"...close enough!

I will start my third Whole30 on July 1st.  The best piece of advice that I can give it to not come at it from a viewpoint of deprivation.  In other words, focus on all of the amazing foods that you can eat, not what you can't eat.  What I have found during each of my Whole30s is that there is this whole beautiful world of colorful natural foods that I hadn't been eating because I was so full from eating the processed junk.  My fridge is gorgeous now!

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that it is only 30 days.  We can do anything for 30 days!  By July 30th, we will feel like new people!!!

• Administrators

(Standing up) My name is Adrian...and I'm addicted to sugar...

You're in fine company here, there are many a sugar addict working on breaking that cycle!  I'd venture to say 98% of us have some sort of issue with sugar.  :)

I'm doing the "July Whole30" for the first time ever!

I'm technically starting on June 29 because of my summer schedule but I'm looking forward to sharing with this group challenges, tips and victories.

I'm particularly nervous about missing oatmeal in the morning...

I will start my third Whole30 on July 1st.  The best piece of advice that I can give it to not come at it from a viewpoint of deprivation.  In other words, focus on all of the amazing foods that you can eat, not what you can't eat.  What I have found during each of my Whole30s is that there is this whole beautiful world of colorful natural foods that I hadn't been eating because I was so full from eating the processed junk.  My fridge is gorgeous now!

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that it is only 30 days.  We can do anything for 30 days!  By July 30th, we will feel like new people!!!

I completely agree! During my 1st W30 I took time composing my dishes and took pictures of every meal I ate. I concentrated on all the beautiful foods I was eating and referred to those other foods as things I was choosing to not eat right now. I never felt deprived - even when I was driving friends around for wine tasting! Your internal conversations are so important to your motivation. It's never "I can't have xx".  It's "I'm choosing not to eat xx right now"!

Can't wait, any helpful tips?

Here is mine. Don't let social situations stop you. You absolutely can go to parties or out to dinner and stay on the program. The tip is that you have to ask for what you want.  For parties, I just bring an appy or two that work or ask the host.  For restaurants, I just tel the waiter "can you make it like this?" They always say yes and no one blinks an eye.  I even had French restaurant cook without butter.  And the alcohol?  Your friends won't care.

Archived