Starting July 1st

misti

Frm_sailor - everything we do in life is am opportunity to learn. We learn about ourselves and about the world around us all of our lives - it's what keeps life interesting. I'm glad you took those things back to the store and have come with such a good take-away from your time on Whole 30. I honestly think it was your exercise that was tanking your energy and mood so if you can find the right balance there, you'll sail through in August if you decide to try again. And good for you for dumping that scale! 

Weird weather here for Southern California - super humid and thunder. Not sure what's coming next today. everything feels very unsettled and expectant. Oh my goodness, it's raining! it never rains in July!!  And we need it so badly it couldn't come at a better time.

To everyone above and everyone else, i hope you have a wonderful day!

Thank you so much! I think you are right about the exercise. I am actually planning to back off a bit and focus on shorter distances and improving my 5K time. Which is an endeavor in itself. I also want to add a third day in the weight room.

Sounds like SoCA is trying to to its best imitation of the southeast in the summer!! Love me a good thunderstorm!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been ridiculously hungry today, not once have I felt full...after a week of being really upset and hardly able to eat at all without forcing it in it is an odd feeling!

I have had 3 big meals with loads of fat and it is just after 6pm...I may have to have something else later as my tummy is still rumbling...and I only are 15 minutes ago...

I just got back from Sprouts and I managed to buy the week's groceries for under $90! That includes a $15 piece of grass fed chuck roast that wasn't on my list. I am in shock! I usually have to budget $120'ish per week for groceries so this is a nice windfall. :D

So I caved and had a meal 4 today...I roasted some butternut squash, fried a huge number of mushrooms with garlic and ate it all with chunks of today's roast chicken liberally doused in salt & pepper and some mayo.

I counted days on my calendar and it turns out I am due my period next week so that may explain today's hunger...it didn't enter my mind earlier as I am not bloated as I usually am a week before I get it

So that's a plus!

Hey all..

Doing well here.  Timing for food went poorly today but I did well otherwise.  When downtown tonight, my family got Thai food "take-out" for dinner for the kids, and my wife got a roti (chicken and potato).  They we drove home so I could go out to get a few thing I needed and made my dinner.  I had three Squares but Lunch was at 4pm and dinner at 8:30 pm. 

Today was rest day for me and I think I needed it.  Tomorrow (weather permitting) the family is going Raspberry picking. 

Enjoy your weekends!

Cheers

DJ

I just got back from Sprouts and I managed to buy the week's groceries for under $90! That includes a $15 piece of grass fed chuck roast that wasn't on my list. I am in shock! I usually have to budget $120'ish per week for groceries so this is a nice windfall. :D

That is awesome! It's always great when you spend less than expected!

morning all - or good afternoon/evening for those of you in the East & Europe.  Nothing exciting to report today, just getting around to the usual house-cleaning and prep work. 

Oh, actually I do have something exciting!  I tasted my Kombucha home-brew this morning and it's ready to bottle! And the best news is it already has a slight sparkle, so I know it'll be fizzy!.   I'm brewing more sweet tea right now so it has time to cool, then late this afternoon I'll bottle 6-8 pints. Some will get flavored - strawberry, blueberry/ginger, ginger/lemon, raspberry are the plans right now. Nothing has helped my GI tract as much as regular amounts of Kombucha and sauerkraut and the really only cost-effective way for me to have these foodstuffs as often as i want is to make my own.

Another hot and sticky day today - more T-storms expected later this afternoon so I best get out now and tend the garden.  Have a great day!

Glad your home brew is going well JenX ;) I've never even seen kombucha and I've no idea what it is...but I hope yours turns out marvellously ;)

I missed out on the BBQ on Friday night as even the burgers had gluten and generally icky things in them (luckily I knew one of the men that was cooking them on the grills and he checked the box for me) but today I went to my sisters for a BBQ and had my sisters baked potatoes (with salt and olive oil), my brother in law's steak and loads of veg stuffed salad with oil (I made that). I just ignored the burgers and sausages, corn in the cobs and sticky glazed chicken legs. I did get looks from mother and other family members when I refused champers and desert but I am happy ;) so I got my BBQ after all!

I may have garlicky prawns and salmon for tea with asparagus and broccoli...I've had beef twice today so I'm craving fish now.

Reading these forum posts really helps, thank you all for being there.  I'm exhausted between work and living through a huge, disastrous home construction project.  I haven't eaten off limit foods, but I am finding that I am not very structured in the timing of my meals and I think this isn't helping the whole 30.  I always have a good breakfast, but sometimes miss lunch, and then get home late and have dinner at 8.  I haven't been able to get back to the gym, but make sure i take lovely long walks every day.

I'm in the whole 30 because I want to live a life where the quality of my food is paramount and I want to enjoy the amazing foods from the earth and our fellow beasts, bless them!  I want this to be the start of a permanent change for the better.  More joy.  No more crackers, fast food and sugary crap.

Anyway, I find that I am still drawn to sweeter things like sweet potatoes and berries wiith coconut milk, etc.  Is that OK, or is it indicative that I still have issues with sugar demons?  I don't get cravings for candy, bread, etc., but I do get cravings for a big bowl of cherries.  It may be that I want comfort from my stress, and these types of food provide it.  How do others coping with outside stress? 

I agree with bonvino, reading all these posts has been a huge help to me. Everyone who posts is so helpful, concerned and genuine. Lots of great info here!!

I have found the W30 much less difficult than I expected. It may be because I prepared for this for months....I was so ready I started a bit early. I like adventures & I see this as an adventure & a challenge. It's only 30 days....that was actually a huge factor for me deciding to do this. Although with less than 2 weeks to go I can easily say that most of these changes I plan to continue after the month is over. I try to use the little positive changes as big motivators, for example this week I noticed my skin has a different feel & look to it, esp on my face. I doubt anyone else would notice, but this is a big deal to me...a physical sign of improvement. My bloating is gone completely...I was very distended for the past 2 yrs (menopause, ugh)....the bloating going away is enough good news to propel me thru to the finish.

I have no idea if I have actually lost weight....I don't really care (& boy I do need to lose weight)....but my choosing to try W30 was all about improving my health & experimenting to see if these changes would actually make a difference. THEY HAVE.

The foods I am eating are very different that what I was eating before. I have not had red meat & pork for 30 yrs. I avoided all fats except olive oil. I used whole grains as my biggest food choice with each meal, followed by veggies. I ate beans every day (tempeh, black beans, garbanzo beans, hummus, etc). I ate lots of hard cheeses & yogurt. So the W30 has been a revolution for me. And so far it's been totally worth it. The food is great tasting, easy to prepare (Sundays!!) and it fills me up. 

Thanks to ALL who give such great advice on the Forum!!! It is MUCH appreciated!! Cheers!! 

Hi everyone!

I've been away from the forum for a couple of days, but staying compliant. I'm feeling good- stomach issues are thankfully gone. Suffice it to say that cauliflower and I will never be best buddies. :D . My energy is good and I'm sleeping well.  I feel healthy, which is really great. I'm learning to appreciate these things and not just think about if I'm losing weight or not. Having been a person who weighed myself every morning, and sometimes even twice before I left for work, not  focusng only on my weight is a big change for me and really welcome!

Reading these forum posts really helps, thank you all for being there. I'm exhausted between work and living through a huge, disastrous home construction project. I haven't eaten off limit foods, but I am finding that I am not very structured in the timing of my meals and I think this isn't helping the whole 30. I always have a good breakfast, but sometimes miss lunch, and then get home late and have dinner at 8. I haven't been able to get back to the gym, but make sure i take lovely long walks every day.

I'm in the whole 30 because I want to live a life where the quality of my food is paramount and I want to enjoy the amazing foods from the earth and our fellow beasts, bless them! I want this to be the start of a permanent change for the better. More joy. No more crackers, fast food and sugary crap.

Anyway, I find that I am still drawn to sweeter things like sweet potatoes and berries wiith coconut milk, etc. Is that OK, or is it indicative that I still have issues with sugar demons? I don't get cravings for candy, bread, etc., but I do get cravings for a big bowl of cherries. It may be that I want comfort from my stress, and these types of food provide it. How do others coping with outside stress?

Just a couple of things ;)

You really shouldn't miss meals...it will affect your hormones and your whole30. 3 meals a day is one of the rules of the programme.

Also how are you eating berries and coconut milk? Is it as a dessert?

Reading these forum posts really helps, thank you all for being there.  I'm exhausted between work and living through a huge, disastrous home construction project.  I haven't eaten off limit foods, but I am finding that I am not very structured in the timing of my meals and I think this isn't helping the whole 30.  I always have a good breakfast, but sometimes miss lunch, and then get home late and have dinner at 8.  I haven't been able to get back to the gym, but make sure i take lovely long walks every day.

I'm in the whole 30 because I want to live a life where the quality of my food is paramount and I want to enjoy the amazing foods from the earth and our fellow beasts, bless them!  I want this to be the start of a permanent change for the better.  More joy.  No more crackers, fast food and sugary crap.

Anyway, I find that I am still drawn to sweeter things like sweet potatoes and berries wiith coconut milk, etc.  Is that OK, or is it indicative that I still have issues with sugar demons?  I don't get cravings for candy, bread, etc., but I do get cravings for a big bowl of cherries.  It may be that I want comfort from my stress, and these types of food provide it.  How do others coping with outside stress? 

Craving a big bowl of cherries is indicative that you've just replaced sugar for fructose and that's something you really don't want. If you're having cravings opt for protein & fat, not fruit - this is just feeding your Sugar Dragon.

And as Britishgal has said if you're eating berries (or any kind of fruit) with coconut milk as a 'dessert' then you want to cut that out immediately. Desserts are off limits and you need to change your mindset about your need for one - finish off your meal with herbal tea, pickled goods, anything that will cleanse your palette - or just clean your teeth & be done.

The recommendation is for three template meals per day - the first within an hour of wakening - with fruit kept to a minimum of 1-2 fist sized servings, with or as part of a meal - anything other than this (ie. skipping meals, adding desserts, snacking on fruit etc) will compromise your results.

JenX - Good for you on the kombucha.  I don't know how to make it but you said sweet tea? How does it work. And yes the migraine is gone.  It took most of 2 days.  

BritishGal - Good for you in standing your ground at the BBQ.  But what are champers?  And last night I had a piece of grilled salmon with roasted beets (ghee) and green beans (olive oil) and some butternut squash (ghee) and a grilled peach.  That was the most satisfying meal I have had in a long time.

Stellala - You will not regret this change.  This is the 3rd time for me and I never lose a bunch of weight but I lose gut issues, headaches, tiredness and I wonder why I ever stray away.  I guess we are all human.

And I will say ditto to the encouragement this forum has provided to me.  I read about someone else's concern and it is one of mine too so I look forward to the response from a moderator.  

Traveling to DC this week and also have a phone interview.  It will be a wild ride but it is all good!

And last night I had a piece of grilled salmon with roasted beets (ghee) and green beans (olive oil) and some butternut squash (ghee) and a grilled peach. That was the most satisfying meal I have had in a long time.

I can see why -- that sounds like a perfect summertime meal! Grilling and roasting do some amazing things to foods!

JenX - Good for you on the kombucha. I don't know how to make it but you said sweet tea? How does it work. And yes the migraine is gone. It took most of 2 days.

BritishGal - Good for you in standing your ground at the BBQ. But what are champers? And last night I had a piece of grilled salmon with roasted beets (ghee) and green beans (olive oil) and some butternut squash (ghee) and a grilled peach. That was the most satisfying meal I have had in a long time.

Stellala - You will not regret this change. This is the 3rd time for me and I never lose a bunch of weight but I lose gut issues, headaches, tiredness and I wonder why I ever stray away. I guess we are all human.

And I will say ditto to the encouragement this forum has provided to me. I read about someone else's concern and it is one of mine too so I look forward to the response from a moderator.

Traveling to DC this week and also have a phone interview. It will be a wild ride but it is all good!

Bojibelle - there's a sticky thread in the Recipes section called Kombucha Makers Unite. I got all my info from there. Basically you have to get a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) either online or grow one from good organic raw Kombucha you can buy at the store. Once you have that, it converts the sugars in black tea sweetened with sugar, fermenting it. When done it is tart, refreshing, and lightly carbonated. Sort of like hard cider but negligible amounts of alcohol. I love the stuff, but bottles of GTs go for $4each. Hence setting up my own continuous brew system.

Day 20 ;) and today I still really want chocolate and am really hungry (due my period in a couple of days)

though I'm thinking of continuing until my little one goes back to school at the start of September and only then testing gluten (eek!) and a couple of other things (cheese, cream, rice, alcohol, petis pois, good dark chocolate...I'm weak!). Most other things I probably won't bother with again except on special occasions (Christmas, Easter, holidays abroad) and eating out where I'll be less stringent about cooking oils etc but still will avoid grains and puddings etc regardless of what the gluten testing shows.

I've told myself many times after while30s that I can stay compliant at home but eat what I want whilst out or eat whole30 during the week and be easier at the weekend...but that hasn't worked! I do eat much better than I did before my first whole30 last summer and I rarely eat wheat or grains anymore at all but sugar? Sugar creeps back into my life so forcefully and stealthily I'm sure that I can't have just a bit...it's all or nothing!

Day 20 - only 10 more days to go!! 2/3rds of the way done!

I'm starting to plan out some reintroductions - things I didn't get around to last time, or that I want to reintroduce in a more structured way. I did learn last time that wine is a major downfall for me; almost a gateway food (drink, whatever). It lowers inhibitions (so more/less healthy foods go in my mouth), it makes me feel dehydrated and crappy in the morning, it makes me sleep poorly...I know all the reasons, but I still love the stuff.  This time around I am going to do my utmost to make it not a part of my daily life.  I do have plans to meet friends for Happy Hour on the 4th August so will have a drink of some sort then (one is going off for her 2nd full Ironman, and the other is going off for some insane trail run race that is the equivalent of like 2.5 marathons in 3 days or some such. These girls are CRA-Cray! So, I'll drink to them that evening and then that's it until I go to Sonoma/Napa August 21st.  I may well get on for my 3rd Whole 30 after that trip, and even if I don't I plan on sticking very close to template regardless. I just feel so much better without those other foods/drink in my diet, I don't see any reason to change.

Stellala - Sounds like you're doing really well! I love your mindset! :D

Bojibelle - have a good trip, and I hope you rock that phone interview

Marcella - I'm right there with you. I used to weigh every morning, plus after any exercise, and other random times as well. So good to give that up!

Bonvino - Part of the cravings may be due to the stress you're under. Construction is such a disruption!  Keep up those walks as they'll help a bunch.

BritishGal - So glad you got your BBQ! 

Anyone else I didn't call out - thinking of you too. I'm going to echo everyone else and say this forum has been a life-saver. Thanks to you guys and others in this forum I haven't succumbed to boredom eating in 3 full weekends now!  Couldn't do it without you.  Have a marvelous Monday!

Jenx that's a good reminder. I too did not plan an introduction last time. My down fall was wine/beer on a daily vs special basis. I did find that not having either in my home helped greatly and limiting to a restaurant setting only, and I like your pre-planning idea. Thanks!

I just got the go-ahead to transition from the cam boot to a regular sneaker! I'm so happy!! Still have to take it easy on the foot for 2 weeks (no running or jumping) but I get to have my ankle back!

That's great news Jen ;) it'll be so fab to be free!! I spent long periods of my childhood in wheelchairs (stills disease...which includes juvenile arthritis) so I fully understand the marvellous feeling of being able to walk again xx

Hey team

Well last night I cooked up some ground pork, sweet potato, onion and spices to have a different breakfast combination that I have been having.  This AM, I had three poached eggs over a bowl of the sweet potato mash and 1/2 banana.  It was a really nice subtle change to my regular breakfast and I feel that the starchy Veg in the am will help with my energy (but I have not had much of an issue).

I got a new work phone - a BlackBerry Z30 on Friday and I have to admit, I spent far too much time this weekend playing with my new smart-phone.  I really like it.

I have two more weeks of work before 3 weeks off on vacation.  I have to admit I am looking forward to some time away.  I love my job (work for the Ontario Government running programs to protect the Great Lakes) but some time with family and lots of activities sounds great right now.

We did get raspberries and I had some after my big salad and complaint sausage for lunch.  I will be having lamb chops and a salad for dinner. 

Today is a good day!

Cheers

DJ

I had an interesting talk with a friend tonight who is both a nurse and mother to 2 small ones with allergies. She thinks with the symptoms I have and the speed which they come on, the fact the last one looks like it was triggered by trace and hasn't happened again (since I cut all grains from our entire house & avoided even touching grain products at family houses etc) that it is most likely a wheat allergy.

She also pointed to the fact that I always used to have a cold pre whole30 (she's right but I never really thought about it), that it is escalating (itchy eyes after wheat since last year then a week long, watery, red & swollen, wrinkly, glued together, stabbing pain eyes last week) and that my 7 year old has had a runny nose and the sneezes at least once a month for the last couple of years (I just thought he got all the colds going *feel like a bad mama now*)...she thinks he needs testing too.

She asked if the dr said what exactly he was wanting the elimination diet to look for but I just assumed that if you eat wheat products and get symptoms you had gluten intolerance...so I didn't ask that question and assumed that was what the dr was wanting me to test for. I'd never considered an actually allergy.

Allergy sounds so much worse!

Archived