Starting July 1st

misti

It is MeGA and it's certainly better than my mother's insistence yesterday that none of us have allergies (don't be so stupid, you and your daft diets). But then she's never accepted my aspergers diagnosis either and her own eyes water constantly plus she sneezes during the summer so she's not exactly objective ;)

That is my son and a young looking me in the picture over 6 years ago...but I love it! X

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate all your advice dealing with stress and fruit cravings (but it's cherry season!!!).  I'm back on track, moving more and drinking more water.  My husband says I need to take care of myself.  Isn't that awesome!  As long as he gets meat every day, he's happy.  I'm glad I didn't cave in.  Thanks a bunch!

I had an interesting talk with a friend tonight who is both a nurse and mother to 2 small ones with allergies. She thinks with the symptoms I have and the speed which they come on, the fact the last one looks like it was triggered by trace and hasn't happened again (since I cut all grains from our entire house & avoided even touching grain products at family houses etc) that it is most likely a wheat allergy.

She also pointed to the fact that I always used to have a cold pre whole30 (she's right but I never really thought about it), that it is escalating (itchy eyes after wheat since last year then a week long, watery, red & swollen, wrinkly, glued together, stabbing pain eyes last week) and that my 7 year old has had a runny nose and the sneezes at least once a month for the last couple of years (I just thought he got all the colds going *feel like a bad mama now*)...she thinks he needs testing too.

She asked if the dr said what exactly he was wanting the elimination diet to look for but I just assumed that if you eat wheat products and get symptoms you had gluten intolerance...so I didn't ask that question and assumed that was what the dr was wanting me to test for. I'd never considered an actually allergy.

Allergy sounds so much worse!

The bad news is that should you want a confirmed gluten intolerance you will have to consume gluten for six weeks prior to testing.

There are patch tests available for wheat & other allergens but you would probably need to be referred to an allergy clinic.

Once your Whole30 is done I'd go back to your GP and push for the referral.

Thanks jmcbn...I'll go back and ask though after the last reaction I'm more inclined to just not eat it ever again! I'm not going through that for 6 weeks just to confirm...

I wonder why he wanted me to do an elimination diet then retest then?

The patch tests can be done after elimination - they're done by adding a small amount of the suspected offending food into a tiny foil dish which is applied to skin & covered for 48hrs (IIRC) and then the skin reaction is measured periodically.

Sometimes eliminating a food for a period of time (the recommendation is usually 6wks but YMMV) can help as the intolerance is due to over-exposure - obviously if it's an allergy, which I'd suspect it is, then eliminating & reintro-ing isn't going to work, although this was probably your GPs reasoning.

I was with a man for years in my 20s who was allergic to everything, tarred and bandaged when he was really bad, the whole deal. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. So I have been through skin prick testing and allergists and all kinds of stuff with him (he could have done with a whole30...ate mostly junk!)

If it was just me I'd just stay off it permanently but I'm concerned about my son now after the chat last night so I'm making an appointment to see the dr with him next week once he gets back from his dad's.

If it was just me I'd just stay off it permanently but I'm concerned about my son now after the chat last night so I'm making an appointment to see the dr with him next week once he gets back from his dad's.

Definitely best to know upfront. Good luck!

Well, I'm sitting at work in 2, count 'em, 2 sneakers. :D Huge plans at the gym at lunch, of walking on the treadmill at a slow pace. I need to strengthen my ankle and foot back up.

I went crazy with too much coffee yesterday. I usually stick to the recommendation of no more than 2 cups and get them in before noon. Yesterday, though, I woke up very early to pick someone up at the airport, and I kept getting interrupted and never felt like I got to enjoy a cup, so ended up having 4 total, and the last one was at 4pm. Big mistake. Between the caffeine and the heat/humidity I was up most of the night tossing and turning. Live and learn.  This morning I'm on my second (and last) cup right now.

TMI, but I also paid for it with an episode of IBS-D this morning - it was either that or the fact I had both broccoli and cauliflower with dinner last night.

Bonvino - your hubby sounds very sweet! And he's right. You do need to take care of yourself.

DJ - mmm, raspberries. I can never get enough. I think they are truly my favorite fruit, let alone berry.  I used raspberry puree to flavor 3 of the 16oz kombucha I just bottled. Should be ready to start drinking them today and I cannot wait!

Been mixing breakfast up a bit so far this week. usually I have 3 eggs (usually scrambled) and about 2 cups of sautéed onion, mushroom, bell pepper & kale (or zucchini). This week though it has been sautéed kale & cauliflower and browned ground hamburger - yesterday no eggs, today 1 egg. It seems to be very satisfying and holds me a bit longer. It seems after 10 weeks I finally got bored with eggs for breakfast every morning! LOL! (I ate them between my 2 rounds of W30 too).

Ive been keeping up wit things here and decided it was time fop a post. On day 22 for breakfast I started with a banana while I was frying my angus chuck burger, two 2-egg "muffins" (eggs baked in a muffin pan with chicken, spinach and summer squash) top with guacamole, some olive oil-fried sweet and local potatoes and about a handful of cauliflour rice and black coffee. Within an hour I was feeling hungry, not starving but certainly enough to get my attention and I did make it to lunch without snacking. I frequently get hungry enough between meals to snack on almonds and walnuts with a few raisins thrown in, or yesterday I had two hard boiled eggs, a fist full of whole raw carrots and celery and some nuts to sustain me through the afternoon at my woodturning show/sale. I realized )I was a little light on breakfast and lunch yesterday, hence the burger today.

It seems I've always had problems with hunger between meals, and thought th W30 would help, but so far it's only been marginal help.

I'm 61 and fairly active, gardening and woodworking in the shop. Also started walking, except for the last week.

Any suggestions woulld be greatly appreciated.

JenX - Great job with the two sneakers.  Take it easy but you know the only way to strengthen... is to work it!  Good luck and don't break a leg (LOL).  The local raspberries are good but not great.  We have had a weird summer and some of the local fruit has been challenged.  Still really good mind you but not fantastic.

I am doing well... I had another Sweet Potato hash with poached egg this AM and really enjoyed it.  I needed breakfast as today was the most volume for my training.  I did 40 minutes of Olympic lifting (snatch work is not my favorite) and then 400 M sprints before biking to work.

Lunch was 2 compliant sausage, and a big salad.  Still deciding if I will have the apple I brought.

My legs are tired (after today's workout) but I feel great!  Tonight is chicken and salad with maybe a baked potato.  Tomorrow is my follow-up massage day at the end of my work day.   I am interested to see if it is as "deep tissue" now that my back is feeling better.

Cheers

DJ

• Moderators

Hi Bohemian Bowlturner.

Could you list out in detail (as much as you can) what you've been eating as far as portion sizes relating to your own palm/thumb for the last few days? It does seem from what you've posted that the reason you're hungry between meals is because you're not eating enough, but perhaps there are some tweaks we can help you with.

Also, remember that nutrition is cummulative and it takes a few meals and maybe even a day or two to come back from a very light meal/day, especially if that light meal occurred at breakfast.

It's also advised to not snack on nuts/dried fruit as that keeps your sugar dragon alive and can mess with blood sugar, hence possibly contributing to your feelings of hunger.

Lets have a look at your intake and see where we can help you so your last 10 or so days can be optimal for you.

I was with a man for years in my 20s who was allergic to everything, tarred and bandaged when he was really bad, the whole deal. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. So I have been through skin prick testing and allergists and all kinds of stuff with him (he could have done with a whole30...ate mostly junk!)

How old is your son?

My son was diagnosed with multiple food allergies at 6mths old having reacted to pretty much every pre-digested food in my breast milk. Things have improved a lot as his digestive system has matured but it's been a long, slow & very trying journey.

Saturday breakfast was 3 scrambled eggs, a 6" chicken sausage, a small-fist-size of saurkraut, about 3 heaping tbs of gaucamole, a handful of green olives and coffee. Lunch - salad with kale, romain, carrots, celery, brocoli and cauliflour and a handful of olives sunflower seeds and coconut and olive oil/ balsamic vinegar along with a burger. Supper- 2 hand-sized catfish filets, same salad anda summer squash dish from the book and the seasoned tomato sauce(?) that goes with it.

Sunday- breakfast 2 egg " muffins", guac. olives about a handful of leftover chili. Lunch was about the same as Saturday. Supper - large bowl of chili, olives, 3 stalks of celery and 3 carrots, leftover squash dish.

Monday - next post so my connection doesn't timeout

I'm surprised by myself...tonight, at the end of day 21, I am desperately craving chocolate! I'm playing games with myself to stop myself going to the corner shop.

After 4 whole30s and 35 Lents I know that chocolate, if I ate it now, would be bland and a little icky...not even approaching the ambrosia I am dreaming of

But I still want it!

I'm surprised by myself...tonight, at the end of day 21, I am desperately craving chocolate! I'm playing games with myself to stop myself going to the corner shop.

After 4 whole30s and 35 Lents I know that chocolate, if I ate it now, would be bland and a little icky...not even approaching the ambrosia I am dreaming of

But I still want it!

You're having an extinction burst! It was just in the daily email today:

"You’re so close to finishing your Whole30. You’ve nearly banished your cravings, and it’s been easier and easier to pass up desserts and sweet treats—even the Whole30-approved ones. You’re practically a healthy-habit-machine these days! And then…

Your brain rebels. You get the worst case of cravings you’ve experienced to date. You’re practically sitting on your hands to avoid raiding the pantry, and you cannot believe that this far along into your program, your Sugar Dragon is breathing fire right down your back… again! What’s going on?

The science-y term for this phenomenon is “extinction burst,” and the good news is that this is totally normal—expected, even. And if you know it’s coming, you can brace yourself for it.

Any time you quit something cold-turkey (as you do when you give up old habit-foods during your Whole30), your brain will make a last-ditch effort to return you to your habit. Once you become accustomed to reward, your brain gets really upset when you can’t have it. So when you expect a reward and nothing happens (it’s after dinner… dessert must be coming! But wait… it doesn’t come? What’s going on!) your conditioned response starts to fade away… and your brain freaks out.

This is actually good news. It means that you are on the brink of giving up that long-term habit (dessert) for good! Your brain is going through one last-ditch effort to keep getting that reward, so the cravings come back in full effect. But you are smart. You know they’re coming, and you’ve prepared for this. You have strategies in place for dealing with cravings and boosting your willpower. You will resist… and kick that habit to the curb."

Keep sitting on your hands and stay out of that shop!

But I still want it!

Craving chocolate is usally a sign that you are magnesium deficient - are you taking a magnesium supplement?

I'm not jmcbn...but chocolate is my Achilles Heel. Emotionally it is my crutch. My sister craves a glass of wine after a stressful week but I've never really understood the need for alcohol , though I enjoy a gin with friends...my lifelong craving is chocolate ;) I knew that at 4 when I announced I was giving it up for lent the first time and I know it now at 40! X

Ha!!

My allergy ridden youngest is a choc lover too even though it makes him very ill.... His big brother mistakenly ripped the foil on his advent calendar one year & the wee one, who was hiding under the table at the time, ran out like a Wimbledon ball boy from under the table & grabbed all the chocolates as they fell and promptly shoved them in his gob, chewed, swallowed, & vomited all within a minute or so - much to his big brother's dismay!!  :P

Definitely take your son along & ask for him to be tested & exclude the wheat (& quite possibly dairy if you can given that his symptoms are respiratory) in the meantime. The sooner you know for sure if he's allergic the better.

Stay strong!

Thanks jmcbn...I phoned today and made an appointment so here's hoping we can get to the bottom of it.

His dad's parents are both from china and don't eat any dairy due to lactose intolerance (it's very common there, much more than here) and his dad himself can't stomach cheese so that has always been in our minds.

Monday was 3 egg- chicken "muffins",a fist-size guacamole, sunflower seeds, coconut, olives, coffee. Lunch - 2 egg "muffins", 4 large carrots, 4 celery stalks; 2 hardboiled eggs mid-afternoon. Supper- 1 burger, salad, squash dish with topping, cauliflour " rice" at about 7 pm which held me well until bedtime at 11:30pm.

Tuesday-burger, 2 egg "muffins", gaucamole, cauliflour rice & toppin, handful of olives, coffee. Lunch- 2 egg muffins, cauliflour rice, a handful of fried sweet and local potatoes. I just had a hard boiled egg. I have shopping to do tonight when I finish my show.

Everything is compliant and/or out of the book. I've increased the topping portions a little eevery day foy the past few days. Anything cooked on the stove uses olive oil.

The last two nights I felt stuffed just about until the time I went to bed and in the morning I didn''t feel hungry at all before eating breakfast.

Until I started W30 I was afraid of getting hungry because within a half hour I would start getting the shakes and/or lighthead so I always snacked on energy bars or nuts and raisins.

• Moderators

Hi Bohemian Bowlturner;

Your meals as a whole look pretty decent but there are some tweaks that I can think of suggesting.

On yourMonday, the only meal that you added fat to looks like your M1, but in that meal, there aren't any vegetables.

I don't know what 'topping' is but your Tuesday M1 doesn't have very many veg unless you ate 3cups of cauli rice...

Try making your next meals according to the template. Every meal should be 1-2 palms of protien, 1-3 cups of vegetables and 1-2 thumbs of additional fat (not including the fat in the pan you cooked with). I think if you make every meal with these guidelines in mind, you'll be much more likely to not find yourself needing to snack.

If using eggs as a sole source of protein, then it's as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping PER portion... So if you can hold 4, then 1-2 servings would be 4-8 eggs.

Also be sure you're drinking a half oz of water per pound of body weight to ensure you're staying well hydrated and all your systems are running smoothly.

Does that help?

I did not realize I would need that many eggs for sole protein. I thought I was going overboard with four. In the back of my mind I knew I wasn't getting enough protein, but had no idea I wad that far off. Living with my vegetarian wife I have been trying to "spare her" the agony of da meat, pun intended, but she has been completely supportive of my Whole30 to the point of cooking most of my meat meals and not objecting to the meat smell in the house so I can now eat meat at home rather than just when we go out.

Thanks for the pointers. I guess I had really gotten a grip on the portions, but you have made a difference in that respect.

But I still want it!

Brittishgal do you supplement with magnesium? I do

Archived