Starting July 1st

misti

Some of what I've read about the sugar dragon and cravings I haven't had near the problem with as I thought I would. There is no food that I am that attached to. Love my honey, but I have gone months at a time without any. I am becoming a bit of a wine connoissuer after spending a couple of months in Italy earlier this year, but I don't miss it.

I thought it was quite interesting reading about scales and weighing to the point that I had a dream the other night about getting on the scale for my doctor without thinking about it then exclaiming "Oh great, now I have to start the Whole30 all over. Thanks doc."

As for water I think I'm drinking enough because I get pissed off, no pun intended, at having to go to the bathroom so often.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks jmcbn...I phoned today and made an appointment so here's hoping we can get to the bottom of it.

worth considering...

His dad's parents are both from china and don't eat any dairy due to lactose intolerance (it's very common there, much more than here) and his dad himself can't stomach cheese so that has always been in our minds.

Good stuff.

50% of males who are dairy intolerant are also soy intolerant - something also definitely worth considering.

• Moderators

I did not realize I would need that many eggs for sole protein. I thought I was going overboard with four. In the back of my mind I knew I wasn't getting enough protein, but had no idea I wad that far off. Living with my vegetarian wife I have been trying to "spare her" the agony of da meat, pun intended, but she has been completely supportive of my Whole30 to the point of cooking most of my meat meals and not objecting to the meat smell in the house so I can now eat meat at home rather than just when we go out.

Thanks for the pointers. I guess I had really gotten a grip on the portions, but you have made a difference in that respect.

How absolutely lovely of your wife! Lots of hugs and kisses for that!!! (you to her!!... that could have been weird ;) ) I know that some Whole30 veterens do better with two sources of protein instead of just eggs. For you it sounds like that would be four eggs AND a palm sized serving of some other sort of protein (ground meat, steak, chicken). Those egg muffins can be hard because it FEELS like we're eating a lot but part of it is veggies so the protein is actually less than you think. I can't wait to hear how you do in the next few days eating full template meals! Magic, here you come!

Not sure what's going on with me - can't sleep, have a splitting headache and my joints ache all over. The only thing I can think of is I did rather go over board with a bag of pistachios today, but I wouldn't think that would make me feel this cruddy. I also feel like I've gained about ten pounds of and my stomach is major bloated and uncomfortable.

Not sure what's going on with me - can't sleep, have a splitting headache and my joints ache all over. The only thing I can think of is I did rather go over board with a bag of pistachios today, but I wouldn't think that would make me feel this cruddy. I also feel like I've gained about ten pounds of and my stomach is major bloated and uncomfortable.

Pistachios could definitely be responsible for the bloat, but then the bloat often returns late on in the program before subsiding again. That said what else have you been eating over the last few days which may have caused this? Have you been drinking  the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body fat?

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with sleep/stress/activvity levels we could see if we could troubleshoot....

Nuts and fruit are my major bloat culprits tlovesb, that or my period...

I'm glad I didn't do a chocolate overload last night though I had to sew through most of the night to reach a deadline first thing this morning so I'm still not out of the sweet craving route yet! Especially since I have a mock test in an hour, I'm obviously tired and just can't get the idea of tins of red bull out if my head (it's over a year since I drank a tin of pop!)

I'm going to make the yummiest lunch I can think of after the test to make up for the fact I'm not going to eat chocolate NOR drink energy drinks ;)

Only 1 more week! This has been a difficult month to choose because of July 4, my husbands birthday and various other family events but I am very proud of myself and have been 100 percent compliant. There is an excuse for every month I'm sure ... It's funny how change is - once you change one thing it leads to another. Whole 30 is now whole 30 / exercise - walking and biking with friends / I changed my hair, whitened my teeth, reading nutritional books, talking with friends about the benefits of coconut oils / looking at food and habits of other people around me differently. I feel like I'm in a peaceful more calm place right now. I would not say that I had trouble ever sleeping but my sleep pattern is very different now with whole 30 - just about the time I put my head on my pillow I'm asleep! I have been vegetarian for 4 years before this whole 30 plan started for me on July 1. Vegetarian because I wanted to be healthy. Whole 30 is also healthy and knowing I could not live for 30 days on eggs and fish I am now a flexatarian - lol. Following the plan including good choices of animal protein. I know this is all about the reboot but hoping to really have lost some weight too!! So looking forward to measuring and getting on the scale come August 1st. Hopefully not disappointed. It has been a great journey with all of you so far. Wish everyone great success!

I am still a little foggy about the meal plan. It says "Add fat in the following recommended amounts oer meal:"...

Does that mean each of the types of fat for every meal, or one, or as many as you want?

This morning's breakfast was 4 egg "muffins",(which includes 1 egg, spinach, chopped spinach, onions and olives per muffin), about 2/3 cup of guacamole, about 1/2 cup of cauliflour rice, a handful of sunflower seeds and a handful of chopped coconut. Within an hour after finishing I felt the first hunger pang, but I'm still feeling full.

What might be up with that? Is it semi-normal, sign of something else entirely, ir my mind playing tricks?

Btw FPZ I like that "new to me" name flexatarian. Unfortunately my wife would not go that far. She's been a pescatarian too long. Even the slightest amount of animal fat makes her sick. She does eat eggs and drinks skim milk, though.

I am still a little foggy about the meal plan. It says "Add fat in the following recommended amounts oer meal:"...

Does that mean each of the types of fat for every meal, or one, or as many as you want?

This morning's breakfast was 4 egg "muffins",(which includes 1 egg, spinach, chopped spinach, onions and olives per muffin), about 2/3 cup of guacamole, about 1/2 cup of cauliflour rice, a handful of sunflower seeds and a handful of chopped coconut. Within an hour after finishing I felt the first hunger pang, but I'm still feeling full.

What might be up with that? Is it semi-normal, sign of something else entirely, ir my mind playing tricks?

Btw FPZ I like that "new to me" name flexatarian. Unfortunately my wife would not go that far. She's been a pescatarian too long. Even the slightest amount of animal fat makes her sick. She does eat eggs and drinks skim milk, though.

You choose a minimum of one of those servings (open handful of olives or coconut, .5-1 avocado, one thumb of oils). The template is minimum amounts tho so if you want more, add it! Your breakfast looks great! Since the pang didn't hang around maybe it wasn't hunger? It could have been a bit of digestion, or perhaps even just your brain wanting a snack for reasons other than hunger. May even be thirst. I'd grab some tea and it water and get busy doing other things.

thanks Kirkor - that was a very well written, amusing article! The brain is a fascinating thing - especially when it seems to be working for you and against you all at the same time.

Feeling pretty good overall today, and I'm looking forward to a weekend where I can get outdoors and actually get some things done. My yard and garden have been severely neglected the last 6 weeks.  This is also, technically, our last weekend before day 31 - that's pretty exciting!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi y'all - had a crazy weekend and have been busy, hence my absence from here.

Things are going well, although I had a minor slip-up over the weekend. I'm still rocking with whole30 as much as I can, but will not call this a Whole45 because I did have that slip. I'm not mad though - I'm proud of completing my first Whole30 successfully. And I will admit I did not sleep well the night after the slip - my body no likey! 

I remain grateful for this program and this community. I'll keep checking in on every one! Hope y'all have a great day! :)

FPZ, I like the cauliflower rice - I actually think it works better with frozen cauli than fresh, and I add a little coconut oil, but it's pretty simple and a great base for stir fries or curries!

I've had the worst headache for the past two days, which is disappointing as one reason I do W30 is to help with my headaches.  It may be hormonal or just the fact that it finally hit 100 degrees here.  I'm seeing my chiropractor tonight so hopefully he can help.  Last year before my first W30 I had a headache for 124 days in a row, so....

New food find for me - harissa sauce!  My husband was going to grill chicken legs Sunday and I bought a ton to take for lunch this week, but I really missed the barbecue sauce and was too lazy to make my own sauce.  Wandered around whole foods looking at stuff and found the harissa.  It's a moroccan paste made from red bell peppers and a few other (compliant) things and it's really yummy and smoky - very mild flavored, actually.  I like it and my husband did too.

I have found the cauliflour rice it little on the bland side, it needs spicing up a little, for me anyway and as eliz991 said it would be good to add to something.

So far so sorta good. Iwas in a time crunch. Waited too long to start so I didn't have the full lunch I should have had. Too distract with what I had to do before needing to leave the house. Big salad with olive oil dressing and a burger with the excess fat as a topping. It's now 3 pm and had a hard boiled egg, but doesn't look like that is going to get me through to dinner. I grabbed my emergency nuts walking out the door and will stay out of them as long as possible. I did grab my filtered water bottle so I should be able to get enough water and the bathroom is right next to me at my volunteer function.

We shall see.

How is the cauliflower rice? Going to try it tonight. Any suggested changes to the whole 30 recipe?

I liked it for the first 2 servings, but made too much and got bored with it quickly. I ended up throwing out about half of it because I kept finding other things to eat instead. It is very mild in flavor so, yes, a good base for other things, but to eat it as a plain side, I think I would spice it up. Garlic would help a lot. But I find garlic helps most things :D

I just got back from the gym where I did 15 minutes on the regular elliptical and 15 on the bike, plus a round of PT to strengthen the atrophied muscles in my ankle/foot. its going to take a while but I'll get there.  I cannot wait to be running again! 

How is the cauliflower rice? Going to try it tonight. Any suggested changes to the whole 30 recipe?

Honestly I think it's one of those things you like or you don't Personally I dont care for it

I used the rest up as a replacement for bechamele sauce in a moussaka!! It was delicious

Way to go JenX!

Yes, I wouldn't care for the cauliflower rice by itself.  I only like it when we're making something saucy and want something to help soak up the sauce (it doesn't really soak it up, but it prevents having to eat it with a spoon).  Kind of like zoodles - I wouldn't just sit and eat a bowl of plain zoodles, but they're good with tomato sauce or spices of some sort and ghee.

• Administrators

I liked it for the first 2 servings, but made too much and got bored with it quickly. I ended up throwing out about half of it because I kept finding other things to eat instead. It is very mild in flavor so, yes, a good base for other things, but to eat it as a plain side, I think I would spice it up. Garlic would help a lot. But I find garlic helps most things :D

I just got back from the gym where I did 15 minutes on the regular elliptical and 15 on the bike, plus a round of PT to strengthen the atrophied muscles in my ankle/foot. its going to take a while but I'll get there.  I cannot wait to be running again! 

You two might both really enjoy either the cauli-rice pilaf in the Wellfed book or this Indian Pineapple Cauli Rice from Stupid Easy Paleo.  Both are extremely flavourful on their own.

Despite being Day 22 and reading most all of your posts, this is my first post (and my first Whole30).  Seems like many people are having success!

I've been totally compliant for 22 days(!!!), though a little heavy on the fruit in my meals. (Not using it as a substitute for sugar, just enjoying that everything's delicious and in season right now as we've got a fairly short (local) season here in No NV.)

I did crave sugar on Days 1,2, & 3 but not much since then!  --What I would've done for a little York peppermint patty on Day 3!! ;-)

I've had family in town the past few days with lots of BBQ's, eating out, and even a couple jaunts to some local bars & breweries, but was able to remain totally compliant! Yay! Though some of the goodies and homemade traditions looked yummy, I really wasn't very tempted.  I'm not saying this has been easy, just a little surprising--in a good way.

Beginning to plan my post Whole30 action plan and what to introduce first. I'm not really missing dairy (I thought I'd really miss cheese!) nor sugar. I'm not ready to go full-throttle into another Whole30 on August 1st, but may take a Whole30 approach to August with an allowance for cocktails with friends on 2 or 3 nights throughout the month... 

Despite feeling a little bloated today--attributing this to the extra fruit consumed over the past few days--was able to fit into a pair of pants I haven't worn in a few months! I think I'll try to complete the last 10 days with significantly less fruit.

Keep up the good eating everyone!

Made it through to dinner at 7 pm without going to my pistachio/almond /pecan/raisin emergency kit. I had my burger and salad at 11:45 and a hard boiled egg at about 2 pm. So I went four hours with hunger without snacking and not getting shakey, light-headed or weak. Now that I've crossed that hurdle maybe I can make a bit more progress.

Only one bump in the road - a former co-worker when I worked at Lowe's in Knoxville 6 months ago died of a massive heart attack yesterday. He grew up about 30 miles from where I grew up in Illinois and he was only 2 years older than me. Going to viewing tomorrow and the funeralbon Friday. I've never had issues related to stress and eating so that should not pose any problem. If things change you guys will be the first to know.

Archived