Starting July 1st

misti

Day 28   Wow, it's gotten quiet around here. I hope everyone else is doing well. We're so close now I actually find it harder to not give in to momentary temptations. That evil little voice in my head stars saying, "you're close enough, you did really well, you can have a bite of x, y, z, you deserve it..." That evil little voice was even more insistent last time, though, and I fought it off, so shall fight it off yet again.

Yesterday I splurged and made some hash-brown potatoes to go with my usual eggs and veg and I noticed my energy was even better throughout the day - very upbeat and even- and I generally felt more sated through all my meals. Today, I used the other half of that potato and added the shreds into my veggie sauté. I'm curious to see if it produces the same result.  I also remembered to bring a half of a yam for post workout. I work out right before meal 2, so after my time on the elliptical and treadmill, I ate about 1/2 my protein and the yam, then waited a bit and had my salad with vinaigrette (so the fat wouldn't interfere with absorption).  As my workouts have been increasing I've noticed when I forget my carby veggie post workout I pay for it with a bout of cravings around 4pm. None of those yesterday, I'm happy to report.

I have a recheck with my podiatrist this morning to see how healing is coming along, then next week he'll ex-ray again to see if the break is fully healed (I'm pretty sure it is right now) and to see if I can start running on it or if I need to wait a few more weeks.  I'm not going to rush it even once I'm cleared. I'm sort of enjoying taking walks again. You see a lot more walking than you do running.

Have a great day 28 everyone! Let's finish strong!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 28 and I'm a bit frustrated. I'm having crazy bad mood swings, I'm still breaking out with hormonal acne along my jawline and chin and I feel just as puffy and tired as I did when I started. I'm frustrated because for about a week I felt the "tiger blood"! I wasn't bloated, I was sleeping well and waking up early on my own, I was happy and no mood swings. Now I feel like I'm right back where I started. I haven't changed anything (except I laid off the sweet potatoes a bit). I follow the meal template, limit my carbs to fist size portion a day and I eat one apple with meal 1 or 2.

Am I doing something wrong? Here's what a typical day of food looks like for me.

Meal1: 2-3 cups roasted veggie mix (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots) 3 eggs fried in ghee and I pour what's left in the pan on my eggs and veggies.

Post workout snack: 2 hardboiled egg whites, about a 1/4 c. sweet potato.

Meal 2: Meat patty, roasted veggies, dollop of mayo, apple

Meal 3: Salmon, large salad with homemade ranch (nom nom paleo- the BEST ranch recipe I've ever made).

Maybe my body was more out of whack then I thought and I need more time. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Oh yes and I work out for 1 hour doing HIIT, weights and/or cardio 3-5 days a week.

Rdallas - Not a moderator but it sounds like you may need more time.

JenX - You have been a great inspiration during this month.  Even with your foot issue.  Be kind to your foot and ramp it up slowly, speaking from experience with my new knee and my rehab.

BGal - you have hung in there through thick or thin.  It has not been a fun month for you. You are so sensitive and that can be impacted by your digestion. Just curious if you have ever had your digestion checked? Perhaps IBS or SIBO.

Others who are too many to mention - Thanks for your insight and encouragement!

For me, I am debating on whether to reintroduce or continue for another 30 days. I don't need to check gluten or legumes since I know I do poorly with those. But I do want to check some grains (white rice and oatmeal) and some goat cheese.   I have not lost weight - pants still fit the way they did at the beginning of the month. My sleep is great, usually getting some daily exercise, I have tiger blood with so much energy and only one headache the entire month but my digestion is a bit off.  A bit constipated alternating with the opposite.  I had lunch out today - cherries, salad greens with a nice piece of salmon and a vinagerette dressing that didn't have sugar in it but probably had a bit of champagne in it.  My gut is in turmoil today.  Perhaps the tiny bit of champagne or the oil they used or the cherries right before lunch. I think it is the oil as I know I can be sensitive to anything other than a top quality EVO or coconut oil or lard. I remember BGal saying that she was never going to eat out again and I feel the same way today.  I will decide on Thursday.

Bojibelle...this has without doubt been the hardest whole30 I've ever done! I'm looking forward to next month as it has to be better ;)

Saying that though I gave learnt far more this time round than any of my previous runs...

If you, and rdallas do decide to keep going I'll be about...there's a thread sailor and I am on for August ;)

• Moderators

Day 28 and I'm a bit frustrated. I'm having crazy bad mood swings, I'm still breaking out with hormonal acne along my jawline and chin and I feel just as puffy and tired as I did when I started. I'm frustrated because for about a week I felt the "tiger blood"! I wasn't bloated, I was sleeping well and waking up early on my own, I was happy and no mood swings. Now I feel like I'm right back where I started. I haven't changed anything (except I laid off the sweet potatoes a bit). I follow the meal template, limit my carbs to fist size portion a day and I eat one apple with meal 1 or 2.

Am I doing something wrong? Here's what a typical day of food looks like for me.

Meal1: 2-3 cups roasted veggie mix (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots) 3 eggs fried in ghee and I pour what's left in the pan on my eggs and veggies.

Meal 3: Salmon, large salad with homemade ranch (nom nom paleo- the BEST ranch recipe I've ever made).

Maybe my body was more out of whack then I thought and I need more time. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Oh yes and I work out for 1 hour doing HIIT, weights and/or cardio 3-5 days a week.

Your meals look okay. If you felt better before you laid off the sweet potatoes a bit, maybe go back to eating them like you were doing? I don't know that it would help with the acne, but the mood swings and the energy are something that might be improved by more starchy vegetables.

I don't know your particular context, or where you're coming from on this, but I know sometimes people get a little carried away in cutting out the starches. I understand about wanting to lose weight, and that many of us have been told the way to do that is to limit carbs, but to me, it's more important to be happy, and if that means I eat more starchy vegetables than someone else of my size, weight, and activity level, because it helps keep me from being depressed, I'm going to go with that. 

I think you should up your carbs as well. it looks like you're mostly only having them as post-WO. I think you should have a fist-sized serving in addition to your post-WO.  HIIT in particular burns glycogen like mad.  I hope it helps!

Podiatrist said everything looks good and I can continue with walking/elliptical and start increasing intensity/duration. He's going to ex-ray at 8 weeks out and again at 12 weeks post-break. No running until the 12 week films. Oh well. Looks like I'll be walking that half marathon the weekend before (that will be at week 11).  Considering I wasn't sure I'd be able to participate at all, I'm pretty happy with that.  I'll take it!

Bgal - we shall ALL dance on Friday :)

Happy Day 28 All, 

I've also noticed a few sugar cravings yesterday and today. Almost went for a piece of pizza last night at dinner with visiting family on their last night in town; I couldn't believe how close I was to caving! "?!?" Must be that sugar dragon holding on with the tips of his talons. Ugh.

On the brighter side, a few people in the office have been noticing changes such as thinner face, thinner body overall, etc. It seems I've inspired a few people to tackle some of their "dragons". We're doing an August Challenge:  30 days of "_____". One person's giving up beer for the month, one's giving up soda & fast food for the month, ... we'll see how many get involved. As for me, I'm still narrowing my focus. Perhaps I'll go Whole30 in August with an allowance for 2-3 evenings of a cocktail with friends, and 3 non-plan meals . That way I'll feel like I have a little freedom if I end up in a restaurant that isn't plan friendly. I feel like I need more time on the plan before I start the formal re-introduction phase. In any case, I want to continue with the plan and make sure it's successful--ie. sustainable!

Keep up the good work everyone! 2 MORE DAYS!!

On the brighter side, a few people in the office have been noticing changes such as thinner face, thinner body overall, etc. It seems I've inspired a few people to tackle some of their "dragons". We're doing an August Challenge: 30 days of "_____". One person's giving up beer for the month, one's giving up soda & fast food for the month, ... we'll see how many get involved.

That's awesome!

Hi all,,, wondering if anyone has checked out Real Plans, an meal planner that includes a paleo setting? And if anyone else attended their webinare tonight? It is endorsed by No Nom.

I subscribe to 3 or 4 of these and an looking for a good one to use after the W 30 finishes.

I've never used a meal planner, but I saw the Real Plans video and was very impressed. The price isn't bad either! I may try it. It looks like it would be very convenient and take all the guess work out of all our meals and make shopping so much more efficient. That would be nice!

If you end up subscribing, let us know how it is!

Thank you all for your input! I will add in a few more carbs. I think I may need more time also so I'm just going to keep going until I see some positive changes. On the bright side, cravings have dramatically improved. I've been having the cheat dreams though. Last night I dreamt I ate crackers with honey??? I've never had the two together in my life and it isn't something I'd choose to eat. I woke up really disappointed in myself for cheating only to realize I hadn't! Funny!

I hope everyone has a great day 29!

rdallas05,

I use meal planners all the time. I'm just not good at pre-planning on my own no matter how many books and web sites I have available.

The real plans site is good, but they admit to having limitations. They only supply one meal per day. Otherwise it's a good site and growing.

I continually use Paleo Plan (paleoplan.com). It supplies 3 meals and a snack per day. I like that I am encouraged to make meals that I would have never dreamed of making and really likeing them. The grocery lists for each week are a great tool. Some of the food is not strict Whole30 compliant, but can be tweeked to be. Perfectly good for a paleo lifestyle way of eating though.

Hope that gives you an idea,,,, have a great day 29!

Hey team

Yesterday was my 19th anniversary so we went out for dinner (to the restaurant chain that we had our first date at) and I had a plain grilled steak, some steamed veg and a baked potato (plain).  It was nice to go out and enjoy the night with the family.  Food for the rest of the day was good too.  I had another massage today (an 8AM massage was a little weird) and it was a good way to start the day. 

Today is planned and I am a few days away from a three-week vacation.  I plan to continue my W30 through the vacation and try another attempt at the re-introduction in September (I last did it 3 years ago after my first W30 and sugar was my only real sticky point).

Cheers

DJ

I would like to thank everyone involved with this program and this site! I have NEVER been able to finish a 30 day anything before, and I will be continuing on. The information in the books! the website, the forum, the printouts, the moderators, the posters, THANK YOU ALL!! After struggling for 13 years with Fibromyalgia and trying everything I could find to just to have even one more day without pain and crushing fatigue I actually see a glimmer of hope. I have gotten a taste of tiger's blood (2 days) and can remember what life was like before this and want it more then ever. I have a long way to go to get even close to a normal life again but for the first time I can see it. So THANK U! 

I would like to thank everyone involved with this program and this site! I have NEVER been able to finish a 30 day anything before, and I will be continuing on. The information in the books! the website, the forum, the printouts, the moderators, the posters, THANK YOU ALL!! After struggling for 13 years with Fibromyalgia and trying everything I could find to just to have even one more day without pain and crushing fatigue I actually see a glimmer of hope. I have gotten a taste of tiger's blood (2 days) and can remember what life was like before this and want it more then ever. I have a long way to go to get even close to a normal life again but for the first time I can see it. So THANK U!

I'm so glad you're feeling better! That's great! This site/forum is so supportive and it's been a great tool for me as well. Even if you don't always add to the conversation, just to read other comments and know you're not alone and read some words of encouragement is wonderful and very helpful!

Way to go on completing your W30!

rdallas05,

I use meal planners all the time. I'm just not good at pre-planning on my own no matter how many books and web sites I have available.

The real plans site is good, but they admit to having limitations. They only supply one meal per day. Otherwise it's a good site and growing.

I continually use Paleo Plan (paleoplan.com). It supplies 3 meals and a snack per day. I like that I am encouraged to make meals that I would have never dreamed of making and really likeing them. The grocery lists for each week are a great tool. Some of the food is not strict Whole30 compliant, but can be tweeked to be. Perfectly good for a paleo lifestyle way of eating though.

Hope that gives you an idea,,,, have a great day 29!

Thanks! I will definitely check Paleo plan out!

My reintroduction just got 100x harder for me mentally.  A friend gave me a small wheel of cheese... amazingly stinky French cheese (drool), that her brother brought back from France. She's not a fan of the stinky ones but knows I am.  This thing smells sooooooo good! 

post-68926-0-69381600-1438191834_thumb.j

I have it here in the fridge at work currently and am thinking it needs to either stay here or with another friend that I'm house sitting for. I should not be alone with this cheese. :ph34r:  :D Matter of fact, I think I'll stash it at that friend's house and then we can both enjoy it when she gets back from her trip, or save it for when we're up in wine country.  Whew! crisis averted.

t-mo - way to inspire people! that's amazing!

DJ - whole 30 while vacationing? You're a braver person than I am. You're so focused though I'm sure you'll sail through.

Shari & rdallas - I agree. These forums, the books, all the free information on the website - it's all amazing. I've done all sorts of "lifestyle changes" and diets over the years and this is truly the only one I felt I learned sustainable practices on. I'll still need to master riding my own bike, but in the meantime I can just come back to the basic principles as often and as for as many days as I need. And if I ever need a kick in the pants I know I can post something in these forums and get the tough love I need.

Did anyone else read the blog post Whole30 linked on Facebook today? It was part 2 on Taming Your Sugar Dragon. the section on Trigger Two: Emotional Connections is me to a tee!  I've always scoffed at the "emotional eating" idea that I was stuffing my feelings, or trying to fill a hole in my psyche or whatever, but THIS kind of emotional attachment to food I can fully understand. And it will be something I'm really going to have to pay attention to going forward. This is pretty much how I went from my last Whole 30 accomplishment back to eating too much of the wrong foods in the space of a month - saying What the Hell and going all in. Yup.

"Sometimes it’s not the food itself, but the association you have with the food that rouses your Dragon. For example, bread is something I almost never eat—I basically consider it off-limits, because 99% of the time, it’s just not good enough to be worth it. But on those occasions when it’s fresh-baked, still warm, and served with a honey butter, I’ll indulge… and immediate start craving everything in sight. What’s going on here? The idea of eating bread basically opens the less-healthy-food floodgates on an emotional and psychological level. I think to myself, well if I’m eating bread, it must be a free-for-all! It’s a touch of the “what the hell” effect: after giving into a little temptation, we say, “What the hell, my clean eating is already ruined, might as well go all in (with the cheese, and the wine, and the cake…).” It’s not the bread itself, it’s the idea of eating bread. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-2/#sthash.Id4PNrd8.dpuf

OMG JenX thanks for pointing out this article. I would have missed it otherwise.

So, so true. I have been worrying about the fact that during the WH30 I have been telling myself "I'm just not eating that right now" when the Dragon tempts, and "I can have that after WH30". What happens after the WH30,,, how will I talk the dragon down then???

One of my biggest temptations is pasta. And, just as the article suggests, it's triggered by my husband being away on business or hunting trips. He doesn't eat pasta, so it's always been my treat during those times. Even now, as soon as he is planning a trip, my mind (dragon) starts planning a pasta dinner for one.

Powerful stuff ~ hard to adjust my thinking! And, I'm not even craving pasta now and it still happens!

Thanks again for pointing out the article; it's great to have this information explained so clearly.

Did anyone else read the blog post Whole30 linked on Facebook today? It was part 2 on Taming Your Sugar Dragon. the section on Trigger Two: Emotional Connections is me to a tee! I've always scoffed at the "emotional eating" idea that I was stuffing my feelings, or trying to fill a hole in my psyche or whatever, but THIS kind of emotional attachment to food I can fully understand. And it will be something I'm really going to have to pay attention to going forward. This is pretty much how I went from my last Whole 30 accomplishment back to eating too much of the wrong foods in the space of a month - saying What the Hell and going all in. Yup.

"Sometimes it’s not the food itself, but the association you have with the food that rouses your Dragon. For example, bread is something I almost never eat—I basically consider it off-limits, because 99% of the time, it’s just not good enough to be worth it. But on those occasions when it’s fresh-baked, still warm, and served with a honey butter, I’ll indulge… and immediate start craving everything in sight. What’s going on here? The idea of eating bread basically opens the less-healthy-food floodgates on an emotional and psychological level. I think to myself, well if I’m eating bread, it must be a free-for-all! It’s a touch of the “what the hell” effect: after giving into a little temptation, we say, “What the hell, my clean eating is already ruined, might as well go all in (with the cheese, and the wine, and the cake…).” It’s not the bread itself, it’s the idea of eating bread. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-2/#sthash.Id4PNrd8.dpuf

This is so me!!! I always think "What the heck I've already ruined my clean eating. I'll get back on track tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes! I am honestly scared to eat anything non-compliant because I know this is exactly how it will go down.

I resisted everything in McDonald's yesterday and ate their salad with chicken I'd sneaked in as my son and nephew enjoyed their summer hols day out happy meals. I even drank water.

I actually couldn't eat anything other than a plain burger with no bun (don't like their burgers) or chips (not bothered). The things I do like there (nuggets mainly) I can't have because of the wheat.

I've not eaten wheat except for rare eating out incidents and sneaky ingredients for a year anyway but not being able to eat it rather than choosing not to is surprising freeing and avoids a lot of non whole30 foods by default

I can't have it...so I don't.

Did anyone else read the blog post Whole30 linked on Facebook today? It was part 2 on Taming Your Sugar Dragon. the section on Trigger Two: Emotional Connections is me to a tee!  I've always scoffed at the "emotional eating" idea that I was stuffing my feelings, or trying to fill a hole in my psyche or whatever, but THIS kind of emotional attachment to food I can fully understand. And it will be something I'm really going to have to pay attention to going forward. This is pretty much how I went from my last Whole 30 accomplishment back to eating too much of the wrong foods in the space of a month - saying What the Hell and going all in. Yup​

great read, don't know how I missed it before, thanks

Archived