Starting July 1st

misti

So, for January's official Whole30, we had 338 people declare their intent in the thread to complete the challenge.

How many people participated in the thread throughout the month? Ummm...maybe 30 people?

How many people completed the Whole30? I'd like to think it was greater than 10% ... :-/

Let's make this a good one, folks!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ended my first whole 30 with great success....I have totally bombed the re-ntro process and was going to wait to start in August when i returned from vacay but not am thinking I need to start asap.  

Noticed that eating bread again has made my ankles swell up so bad it was crazy...and eye opening.

Tips for those just starting:

-Get rid of thinks you can't eat so you aren't tempted.

-Start out simple with things you already eat and add to it with new fun recipes.

-Primally insprired had some great meal ideas

-Prep was key

-be prepared to do dishes like a crazy person LOL

Started my first W30 on the 24th, but I know I'll go longer than 30 days, so I think I'll buddy up with this July 1st group! Age 60 and trying to ward off health issues along with the hope of loosing weight too. I need to be healthy for my 11grandkids! Good luck, everyone.

BeASong - you aren't the only one that is 60!!!  I believe there is more power when your mindset is to be healthy than to look good or simply lose weight.  We will do this and change our lives for the better.

I was doing well for a while then my Anniversary hit and I had a 4 day splurge which turned into 2 weeks. Ice cream, chips, bread. It's great for a second but then I feel awful Allergies are back, knees and back hurts, IBS....I need to reset my system and get back on track. I'm finishing reading "It Starts With Food", then re-reading the rules. My hubby isn't going to do this with me so I just have to tell myself again that food against the rules are not my food. I know I can do this. I have overhauled my eating before. Support would be awesome!

okay, I have read the posts that call for connection via this forum during the July 1 Whole30. I totally agree except I don't find how to reply intuitive.  Is there a way post a response to a specific person on the thread. All I see is this way to reply or the opportunity to quote but then the reply still ends up at the bottom.

not a total social media idiot but this has me stumped for some reason.

thanks.

I’m starting my second Whole 30 on July 1st. The first was in August 2012 but I got no physical results at all (after being really compliant!) and was so disappointed that I fell off the wagon pretty thoroughly afterwards.  This time around my goal is more to concentrate on ditching sugar for improved mood stability (an interesting effect from last time) and to try and keep eating well afterwards.

Luckily (?!)  I do all the cooking in my house so if my partner doesn’t like it he can sort his own meals out  :)

• Moderators

okay, I have read the posts that call for connection via this forum during the July 1 Whole30. I totally agree except I don't find how to reply intuitive.  Is there a way post a response to a specific person on the thread. All I see is this way to reply or the opportunity to quote but then the reply still ends up at the bottom.

not a total social media idiot but this has me stumped for some reason.

thanks.

Quoting in the thread is the usual way to reply. If you want to send a message directly to a person (but no one else can see it), you can click on their name or their picture and it will take you to their profile. When you do this, it will take you away from the page you're on to take you to their profile -- if you press and hold the ctrl button and then click, it will open in another tab, so you can switch back and forth between the thread you're on and their profile.  Once you're at their profile, there are options for Add As Friend, Send A Message, and Find Content on the right-hand side of the screen -- click on Send A Message and you'll get a form to type in. There is no way that I know of for a threaded discussion with replies under the message they're a reply to.

You might also find the tips from this discussion helpful.

Roster as of 6/27/15:

(138 PEOPLE!!!!)

22twelve

Abstone53

acmurphy

Adrian0808

Agos

AmandaO

Anetpike

Ann C.

arebelinchucks

Ateare

ayr156

Bama

bcote

BeASong

beckyclay

bluepen

BonnieO

bonvino

Bronwyn

calibilly

careindl

carla_nv

cavechick_nicky

CaveMomma

CharlotteZ

chrissy popham

cjroby49

Ckensler

CoachDuBose

cross68

CzarinaKat

dallison1

dcrosley_3

Debzella

deliafaye

dermatomyositis girl

Dietitian1996

dilleylh

DR JLH

drtracyb

dsly81

E93

eliz991

ElvenSong1

erin37

Fityaya

FLfun

fmr_sailor

GAgal

galny

gisellem

gogirl

helloitsrosieb

HeyJude

hlansford

hollywood

Honch

hstulips

IrishEyes

janellewhole30

Janicezayas

JayneNZ

Jen Bresette

jenifarias42

JenX

Jfish7722

jmchowat

Jmn1962

kathyzadak

Kiraness

Kirkor

kittyb

kyrakoel

Lasaly

LaurieRC

leaC

LeeJS

LibbyG

Liscam

lmckeirnan

LMK2013

lourdesengel

lswplains

Lucia

lucirebecca

Lucky_Bean

lulumofatta

lynnsutelman

Madeleinek

MarlaineT

MCC

mcki0133

MeGA"gardener"

Megren06

meints

MelissaKramer

Michelle B

MichelleG84

misti

MistyHAnderson

mollyjored

mona

monee2000

nanaof4

nlehrman

pack2rule

Pepi

pharmgirl

PrincessKalico

Rissee

Ritznj

Rona Morrow

Roussa57

rstanleywilliams

Running131

Sam Beard

sbrad28

ShariBear

shasharnc

sheri_h

shh27

sketchlibrarian

softlysoaring

SSItry

staci_ny

Stellala

stephaniejae

Suzahbelle

SuzieQ2U

SuzySV

tallblackchick

TrishaT

Vicky Duecker

Victoria Taulbee

vincent

wcroto

wyndomchick

Yurbutt

Count Claws in!!!  Whoop Whoop....

Great to see Newbies (Suzahbelle, BeASong, lmckeirman, rockinrain) so far have taken my advice - keep up the posting! On previous W30's I'm forever prompting people to keep posting. :rolleyes:

Kirkor's comments below are exactly what I'm talking about...

So, for January's official Whole30, we had 338 people declare their intent in the thread to complete the challenge.
How many people participated in the thread throughout the month? Ummm...maybe 30 people?
How many people completed the Whole30? I'd like to think it was greater than 10% ... :-/

CharlotteZ, I see your point:

okay, I have read the posts that call for connection via this forum during the July 1 Whole30. I totally agree except I don't find how to reply intuitive.

ShannonM816's suggestions are valid. I would add that you can change your settings to best suit you, whereby you are notified of new posts or messages via email and/or via the messages/notifications icons at the top left of the page. My biggest recommendation - stay up to date with the thread! I joined this thread after it had been going for 10 days and I wanted to learn about all the contributors so had about 8 pages of reading to do - now I'm up to speed and will only have a page of reading to do each day (which I look forward to immensely)!

I live in Australia, so it frustrates me a little that I can't contribute 'in the moment' ie: when most of you are chatting in U.S. time, that's what the quote button is for, that way you can take a snippit from someone's post and when you reply to their comments it's in context.

You'll start to enjoy your evening (or morning, whatever suits you), check-ins with this thread!

Hello, all! I'm on day 26 of my first Whole30 and would like some advice. I want to extend my Whole30 because I still have a few food "issues." Though I've eaten on plan the whole time (Every. Single, Thing. -- woo hoo!), I cannot stop thinking about a bowl of ice cream and a nice draft beer (not together, of course :) ). Other food cravings have subsided, though, which is great. Since I still have unhealthy cravings, I had planned to extend my Whole 30 by a little bit, but now I'm strongly considering joining this group. Since there's a Whole30 starting July 1st, do you think I should 1) go all the way through without stopping (so I'll wind up with a Whole68), 2) stop my first one early so I can get in a full reintroduction phase (I won't have time to do a full reintroduction between Whole30s if I go the full time on my first one), 3) go the full time on my first one and just have a short reintroduction period, or 4) something else?

Thanks for your advice! I look forward to (hopefully) Whole30ing with you all!

Hi sbrad28:  The recommendation by the "Whole30 daily" are as follows:  

1.  if you are still having some medical conditions, keep going without stopping.. (i.e. you'll end up with a Whole 68) as this will give your body more time to heal.  Skin conditions, chronic pain and fatigue, depression, and autoimmune conditions generally require more attention to detail and perseverance than other conditions.   

2.  If you are still having sugar cravings, keep going without stopping ..(i.e. you'll end up with a Whole 68) as your Sugar Dragon never went dormant at all.... and those bad habits (dessert, sweets for comfort, treats to relieve stress) haven't actually changed yet.  This is a sure sign that you should continue with your Whole30, while working hard not to feed that Dragon with fruit or sweet treats when it's roaring."

For me personally I initially started off committing to doing just a Whole30; however my Sugar Dragon was FIERCE and thus I continued until it went dormant somewhere around Day 96.

Ultimately, the final decision is up to you, as there's no right or wrong answer.  Namaste...

I am in! Let's do this. Have started a couple times in the past, but never actually finished, despite the good results I was seeing....sleeping better, clothes feeling looser... This time I am going to finish strong! Look forward to getting to know all of you!

Still doing some research, but I'm thinking I want to start on July 2... has everyone read the books beforehand or are you reading along as you go??

I read It Starts With Food back in 2012 and am sort of reading The Whole 30 at the moment - but I'm not very organised about it so I'm sort of diving in this time around.  It's a good idea to be familiar with The Rules, but I think there's a lot to be said for getting on with it and not overthinking things too.  

Archived