Starting July 1st

misti

So, for January's official Whole30, we had 338 people declare their intent in the thread to complete the challenge.

How many people participated in the thread throughout the month? Ummm...maybe 30 people?

How many people completed the Whole30? I'd like to think it was greater than 10% ... :-/

Let's make this a good one, folks!

So, is the idea just to keep adding to this thread during this July 2015 Whole 30?  (Can't remember what happened last time...). 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Sunday is usually my prep and cook day I'm planning on starting mine tomorrow. I'll just go 2 extra days and finish out with everyone else. So far, between yesterday and this morning, I have roasted a chicken, hard boiled a dozen eggs, made chicken bone broth which is still simmering, seared chicken breast, made lizard sauce (1st time -OMG so good!), made 2 varieties of vegetable hash for the mornings so I just have to cook eggs each morning, and cooked half a packet of compliant bacon. Now I am enjoying a cup of coffee while waiting for 2 eggs to come up to room temp so I can make a double batch of mayo. still to do is cook up turkey taco meat for taco salad, make some fresh salsa (tomato plants are producing like mad!), guacamole and chicken salad with the new mayo. whew!!

Another tip for Newbies - cook more than you think you could possibly eat. Every time I prep I look at my fridge and am positive I cooked too much food. Then come Friday I'm almost out of everything!

Last time I ate a lot of salads with chicken + olives or avocado for lunch but I'm a bit bored with that so cooking up lots and lots of options.

i'm starting july 1st, also, after some failed attempts. the furthest i ever got was 24 days but i wound up succumbing to sugar cravings during a stressful time. i'm a total sugar ADDICT. i also have hashimoto's thyroiditis which seems to be worsening as i get older. my main motivation for doing this right now is that my 50th bday is july 23. i really hope to face that day feeling good instead of crappy. i plan to "start with food" so i can have a stronger foundation while i work on the other aspects of a healthy lifestyle. i picked up the whole 30 book and should be done with it by the 1st. love it so far.  i hope to give and get support by way of these forums since my family doesn't share my enthusiasm for this drastic change, to say the least :) good luck to all!

Hi sbrad28:  The recommendation by the "Whole30 daily" are as follows:  

1.  if you are still having some medical conditions, keep going without stopping.. (i.e. you'll end up with a Whole 68) as this will give your body more time to heal.  Skin conditions, chronic pain and fatigue, depression, and autoimmune conditions generally require more attention to detail and perseverance than other conditions.   

2.  If you are still having sugar cravings, keep going without stopping ..(i.e. you'll end up with a Whole 68) as your Sugar Dragon never went dormant at all.... and those bad habits (dessert, sweets for comfort, treats to relieve stress) haven't actually changed yet.  This is a sure sign that you should continue with your Whole30, while working hard not to feed that Dragon with fruit or sweet treats when it's roaring."

For me personally I initially started off committing to doing just a Whole30; however my Sugar Dragon was FIERCE and thus I continued until it went dormant somewhere around Day 96.

Ultimately, the final decision is up to you, as there's no right or wrong answer.  Namaste...

Claws: Thanks so much for your response! I WISH that I had taken this advice. :( My first W30 ended on 6/22. I did so well and felt great, so I thought I would "off road" a little, thinking that I had finally developed some willpower and this would be a good way to prove it to myself. Big mistake. I have eaten terribly and I feel like all of the progress I made during the 30 days has been reversed. So I'm back on track beginning tomorrow and will take your advice for my second W30. Thanks, again! I look forward to supporting each other this go around!

I am onboard for a July 1 start!!  I am actually starting on the 29th so, it will be a Whole 32 because I NEED the support of a group.  My husband is "not sure" which means he is sure he doesn't want to do it - he just isn't sure he wants to tell me.  lol

This will be my first Whole30 in 2.5 years.  I am excited but leery because I know what the next week will bring.

Ohhhhh booooy!!!!!!! Here we go!! Stoked for the July 1st start date. Hubby & I along with our three year old boy and 5 month old boy are doing it..... Well the 5mo old has no choice lol! Such a great choice to begin stewarding our bodies well!! Way to go friends!!!!

:) Joining in from Scandinavia for my first Whole30! From 2013-14 I lost about 44 lbs / 20 kilos and have been eating Paleo / LCHF kind of interchangeably. Mostly LCHF actually, and it just doesn't feel as good as I had hoped. I have been straying off the path a bit and gained a few  of the lost pounds back- AARRGG, no way I am going to let THAT continue! So committing 100% to the July Whole30  :D 

Looking forward to supporting each other on this forum.

Great to see Newbies (Suzahbelle, BeASong, lmckeirman, rockinrain) so far have taken my advice - keep up the posting! On previous W30's I'm forever prompting people to keep posting. :rolleyes:

Kirkor's comments below are exactly what I'm talking about...

CharlotteZ, I see your point:

ShannonM816's suggestions are valid. I would add that you can change your settings to best suit you, whereby you are notified of new posts or messages via email and/or via the messages/notifications icons at the top left of the page. My biggest recommendation - stay up to date with the thread! I joined this thread after it had been going for 10 days and I wanted to learn about all the contributors so had about 8 pages of reading to do - now I'm up to speed and will only have a page of reading to do each day (which I look forward to immensely)!

I live in Australia, so it frustrates me a little that I can't contribute 'in the moment' ie: when most of you are chatting in U.S. time, that's what the quote button is for, that way you can take a snippit from someone's post and when you reply to their comments it's in context.

You'll start to enjoy your evening (or morning, whatever suits you), check-ins with this thread!

I, too, live in a different part of the world, and therefore a different time zone  than most of the people here (Scandinavian/European time) I am going to take your advice to check in whenever I can.  I just ordered the Whole30 cookbook and am having it delivered tomorrow by Amazon UK. Luckily, I have read It Starts With Food so I don't feel completely lost :)  My biggest challenges will be giving up cheese/dairy and not weighing myself every day!

I, too, live in a different part of the world, and therefore a different time zone  than most of the people here (Scandinavian/European time) I am going to take your advice to check in whenever I can.  I just ordered the Whole30 cookbook and am having it delivered tomorrow by Amazon UK. Luckily, I have read It Starts With Food so I don't feel completely lost :)  My biggest challenges will be giving up cheese/dairy and not weighing myself every day!

Welcome Marcella! I'm a dairy lover also so the only way I got through previously was to think about the things I COULD eat (not what I couldn't, and get all sad about it)!

Homemade mayo was the closest I got to a dairy style (aka creamy) condiment.

Instead of adding cheese, try nutritional yeast which has a cheesy flavour, you can add it to cashewnut cream or sprinkle on veggies etc. HOWEVER, I know we are not supposed to re-create things we aren't allowed to eat ie: SWYPO, so I hooooope it's ok to do this? Maybe I'm leading you astray....Moderators, help???

Instead of adding cheese, try nutritional yeast which has a cheesy flavour, you can add it to cashewnut cream or sprinkle on veggies etc. HOWEVER, I know we are not supposed to re-create things we aren't allowed to eat ie: SWYPO, so I hooooope it's ok to do this? Maybe I'm leading you astray....Moderators, help???

Nutritional yeast is compliant but not recommended. Use it is a spice/flavouring rather than to make faux food.

:) Joining in from Scandinavia for my first Whole30! From 2013-14 I lost about 44 lbs / 20 kilos and have been eating Paleo / LCHF kind of interchangeably. Mostly LCHF actually, and it just doesn't feel as good as I had hoped. I have been straying off the path a bit and gained a few  of the lost pounds back- AARRGG, no way I am going to let THAT continue! So committing 100% to the July Whole30  :D 

Looking forward to supporting each other on this forum.

i also do the paleo lchf thing and i feel the same way. i can lose weight with lchf and feel somewhat better in some areas but the changes are never quite enough to sustain me. what country are you from?

Archived