Starting July 1st

misti

Hello,

DAY 2 - it look so hard for me. just can't stop thinking about granola with yogurt or nice tasty cake with a coffee.

please help how to not give up.

If you're used to eating a lot of sugar then make sure you're having at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily (any variety pf potato, yams, parsnip, plantain, turnip, squash etc), and don't short change yourself on fats. The starchy veg will help with the transition while your body adjust to less sugar, & the fats will help with cravings.

Make sure you're also getting enough water on board - the recommendation is for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body fat, so if you weight 150lbs you should be drinking 75oz water daily.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up pretty early this morning on day two....hungry! Planning to run 3 this morning, so I def took advantage of the pre-WO snack. Now feeling a tiny bit guilty, like I've overdone it. I followed the template, and heavens, I feel sooo much better now than I've eaten it. But I think it may have been a little too much. But I did eat before my coffee, which is a pretty big deal. And I have found myself quite thirsty. I always drink half my weight in ounces of water, but I feel more thirsty since yesterday. I'm drinking up!!

22Twelve

No medical background yet it might be your lack of nutrients Add a vitamin D3 and A check with the doc It seems to help and once your body gets in tune you'll see a difference eating the Template meals Good luck

Thanks, but I've been eating template meals for nearly six weeks now, so it's definitely not a matter of adjusting, and probably not because of a lack of nutrients either.

photo-thumb-53065.jpg?_r=1435676562 Hi Kirkor, good to see you again and absorb your words of wisdom! PS: Your avatars are always scary looking - is there a reason for that? :(

I find bone broth soothes me if I'm hungry or just want something warm to sip on
I'll also add it to roasted veg to steam while roasting adds flavor to the fats in the pan

I added some bone broth to my veggies tonight - good tip!

Bone broth ,I use it to make various soups, instead of store bought broths. you can make  chicken , beef, seafood and veggie soups and stew .Good luck to you.

Good tip ingmarie - will use it as a base for 'nicer tasting soups'!

Hi everyone,
I started on the 1st of July and this is my first Whole30. I found the evening a little tricky as worked late and wasn't prepared. Lesson learnt: I need some supplies in the office if this happens again. After 4 big weeks of work and diet and exercise going out of the window, I'm looking forward to a healthy fresh start and feeling like myself again :)

brober - you go girl! I know you and you'll be fine. Just get yourself through to the weekend and you'll be much happier next week after preparing for those unexpected changes in day to day plans... xx

My difficulty is getting new inspiring recipes. So I Pin a lot here: https://www.pinterest.com/juliejeanne/bonne-bouffe-paleo/

I'm following you Julie!

The food restrictions weren't too difficult, the toughest thing for me is the no alcohol.  So many people talk about needing to fix their relationship with food, well, I need to assess my relationship with alcohol.  I rarely go a day without at least some wine and very often martinis.  I've been going thru some tough stuff with my teenage son, and it's very comforting to have a drink.  So, that being said, I am looking forward to putting some space between me and my martini shaker,  getting some good sleep again and reducing the size of my muffin top!

BeckyB, I feel like I'm reading my own story here.....alcohol is a tough one for me too, and at my age, it certainly hasn't helped my muffin top (which of course I never used to have when I was younger) :huh:  Got to end that bad relationship - W30 is the only way I've been successful so far - looking forward to another round of better sleep and clearer head etc!

Hello,

DAY 2 - it look so hard for me. just can't stop thinking about granola with yogurt or nice tasty cake with a coffee.

please help how to not give up.

Don't give up! One thing I keep thinking about is how I don't like the idea that any kind of food has that much of a hold over me. That I'm not in control of my own body because sugar (my personal enemy) has the control. This is your life, you can take it back! You can do this....now please, be prepared to give me the same speech when a brownie tries to attack my mouth.

Day 1 was a success and I Iearned something new today which is great since I have done this 3x before.  My breakfast at 7:30 was a 2 egg hash with spinach, arugula, ground pork that I seasoned (Practical Paleo has great spice blends) and a peach.  I wasn't hungry until 1:00. I made a green salad with lots of extra veggies for lunch with Applegate Oven Roasted Turkey (W30 compliant when purchased at the meat counter and not in the pre-packaged options). I was in the kitchen at work putting the salad together and a co-worker commented on how big it was.  And I looked at it and it looked like a lot of food so I cut it in half, saving the other half for today.  Big mistake!  I was hungry about 3 hours later.  I probably should have eaten the rest of the salad then but decided to just drink water and have a good dinner when I got home.  My lesson is it is okay to eat what you need even when others think you are eating too much. Satisfy your hunger, not your friend's eyes.

One thing that really helps me when I am feeling the sugar challenge is to create this salad and eat it for any meal.  I know it sounds weird for breakfast but it is really tasty.  I take romaine lettuce and chop it up and add some sliced red onion, capers, avocado, and some salmon - either from a can or smoked salmon (Whole Foods has compliant smoked salmon without sugar).  Then I squeeze a lemon over it and add some really good olive oil.  You will be amazed at how satisfying this meal is.  And it really damps down the sugar dragon.

Hello Fellow July Whole 30'rs. 

I had a great first day despite a stressful day. I had a chance to cook a bit too. My favorite meals yesterday was breakfast and dinner.

For breakfast I just cooked some red onion, red pepper, tomato with salt pepper and cayenne pepper in a skillet. When the veggies were soft I cleared too small spaces in the pan and cracked an egg in each one. I covered and let the eggs cook. I then put it the cooked eggs and veggies over mixed greens and added a little avocado to top it all off. 

For dinner I just cut some onion and mixed peppers and mushrooms and sauteed them with chicken salt and pepper and put the mixture on lettuce leaves. I topped it with avocado, lime juice, and fresh cilantro. My version of chicken fajitas. Absolutely delicious! I can't wait to eat the left overs today. 

My goals today are to exercise and to plan and prep for the holiday weekend. I plan on spending the holiday at the beach with friends. Any suggestions on what to bring? My friends have already asked me to bring my signature beach mojitos, but I won't be able to indulge this year :(

Hello Fellow July Whole 30'rs. 

I had a great first day despite a stressful day. I had a chance to cook a bit too. My favorite meals yesterday was breakfast and dinner.

For breakfast I just cooked some red onion, red pepper, tomato with salt pepper and cayenne pepper in a skillet. When the veggies were soft I cleared too small spaces in the pan and cracked an egg in each one. I covered and let the eggs cook. I then put it the cooked eggs and veggies over mixed greens and added a little avocado to top it all off. 

For dinner I just cut some onion and mixed peppers and mushrooms and sauteed them with chicken salt and pepper and put the mixture on lettuce leaves. I topped it with avocado, lime juice, and fresh cilantro. My version of chicken fajitas. Absolutely delicious! I can't wait to eat the left overs today. 

My goals today are to exercise and to plan and prep for the holiday weekend. I plan on spending the holiday at the beach with friends. Any suggestions on what to bring? My friends have already asked me to bring my signature beach mojitos, but I won't be able to indulge this year :(

Your meals sound really tasty - sometimes it's the simple things that taste the best.... just bear in mind that when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people.

Could you make some kind of a virgin mojito with seltzer to take to the beach so you don't feel left out?

Food-wise if you've got a cooler bag then a big ass salad would be my go to for the beach...

Day 2! I already feel a little bit of tiger… peeking around the corner. Maybe because I just finished a whole30.

I will continue my exercise today, The Iron Geezer. lol. Walking 2miles, stationary bike 30 minutes, swimming 6 laps (mostly doggie paddle :))… and maybe a little elliptical, too. Very little, like 10 minutes. I also will do some yoga this morning, because all this sudden activity is making me so stiff and sore! But I will keep going.

My inspiration is my sister, who is 55 years old and does the actually Iron Man competition. She also competes in bodybuilding shows. She is a force of nature. If I can do even a fraction of what she does everyday, it will be phenomenal.

Breakfast - my favorite… 3 soft boiled eggs.

Lunch - leftover Indian spiced ground beef on romaine leaves, an apple

Dinner - Pork patties, roasted carrots and the Whole30 ratatouille.

Have a great, powerful, Whole30 day everyone!

One thing that really helps me when I am feeling the sugar challenge is to create this salad and eat it for any meal.  I know it sounds weird for breakfast but it is really tasty.  I take romaine lettuce and chop it up and add some sliced red onion, capers, avocado, and some salmon - either from a can or smoked salmon (Whole Foods has compliant smoked salmon without sugar).  Then I squeeze a lemon over it and add some really good olive oil.  You will be amazed at how satisfying this meal is.  And it really damps down the sugar dragon.

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing....I definitely plan on making it.

I, too, struggle with the alcohol. It has derailed my previous attempts to do a 2nd round (I did find my beloved red wine WAS causing congestion) so I switched to vodka....which goes down too easily. When I did Whole 30 in January, I announced it to my friends and they were very supportive. I got a Soda Stream and have Homemade Club Soda every night.

I tell myself the Liver can't metabolize Fat when it is busy metabolizing Alcohol. ( I don't know if there is any scientific back up for that).

RE your sons- they grow up- it takes about a decade.

Breakfast - my favorite… 3 soft boiled eggs.

Lunch - leftover Indian spiced ground beef on romaine leaves, an apple

Dinner - Pork patties, roasted carrots and the Whole30 ratatouille.

Have a great, powerful, Whole30 day everyone!

You'll need to work on that breakfast to make it look a little more like the meal template - where are your veggies? You should be aiming for at least one cup at every meal, with three being optimum. You also look low on fat - and low in general given that you are exercising!

Thanks  jmcbn for the tips. I'll work on eating more eggs (not my favorite thing unless they are in an omelet or scrambled with veggies. I also found compliant sausage so I will start adding that to my breakfast too!

Thanks  jmcbn for the tips. I'll work on eating more eggs (not my favorite thing unless they are in an omelet or scrambled with veggies. I also found compliant sausage so I will start adding that to my breakfast too!

Remember that you can eat anything for breakfast so long as it fits the template - it doesn't have to be eggs!

Day one went smoothly...made a potato salad without mao! Made the dressing with apple cider vinegar,evo,and whisked in Dijon mustard......my new potato salad yumm!

Sounds delicious!  One hint - make sure to double check your Dijon. Most is made with wine which is not compliant. And if you're up for it, homemade mayo is absolutely luscious! I never was into mayo until I started making my own on my 1st Whole 30.

I had a really great Day 1. I had what I call Flash Cravings all day long. Weird little urges that come on out of nowhere and then just go on by. One was "hey, you're by the wine shop - you should stop and see what's in!"  Nope, keep driving, we're not drinking right now. Another was "hey, you need to stop at the store (I'm sure for something non-compliant)". Nope, I have plenty of food in the house.  Some aren't even fully formed thoughts. "Mmm, xxx sounds good" "I want...", etc. so weird, what your brain goes through sometimes. Well, on to day2. 

I'm logging and posting on instagram this time - @jenx68 If anyone wants to follow.

Happy day two everyone! Re food planning: I eat the same breakfast and lunch every weekday, pretty much, to make life easier on myself because like a lot of you I have a busy, stressful job.  I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch when I'm not on W30 too.  So I just decide what to have over the weekend, do my cook-up, and then change it up with dinners.  My husband does most of the dinner cooking, but he's good about following W30 guidelines (I only had to remind him about Pam spray yesterday, he was good and asked me to check all of the spice mixes he might put on the steak).

If you're used to having something sweet in the mornings (I forgot who mentioned granola or cake), or like me do better when you start the day with a starchy carb, my favorite is sweet potato home fries (which I have with eggs, avocado, and usually some tomato).  I bake 3-4 sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week and then every morning I take half of one, slip it out of the skin and cut it in medium sized chunks. (You could leave the skin on, but it usually falls off whether you want it to or not.)  Then I put it in a hot pan with some ghee just until the outsides get a little crispy, usually while I'm preparing the rest of my breakfast so 2-3 minutes.  It's delicious and the Japanese yams I have this week are super sweet.  I've not tried these before but they seem sweeter than regular sweet potatoes.  They're purple outside and white inside.

Archived