Starting July 1st

misti

Jen X: Same with me on the little flash urges. "I'm headed home. I'll stop and get my machine cappuccino (SUGAR BOMB)." And little things in and out of my head, like habits more than cravings. I actually miss my gum the most!

BUT..... My run this morning was good. I have had a little bit of a tiny headache that comes and goes, but really I FEEL FINE. So what's wrong with me?? Lol

I expected to feel awful today. I expected to be really tired. I expected a lot of dizziness due to carb withdrawal. There have been some passing issues, but nothing lingering.

I. Am. Astonished.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on my second whole30. I was pregnant the last time and made it till delivery, then the hospital food got to me. But I'm ready for another one. I really want to finish this time, and I know that it will be difficult because I have not only the fourth to contend with, but my husbands birthday as well. Las time I had an accountability partner, and this time I'm getting sucked into The sugar dragon, and it's harder to slay without someone to tell me that I can do this. Maybe being on this thread will help.

YAY Day 2! I'm using the back half of my Whole45 (I'm on Day 18 since I originally started) to really refine some of the program rules, including hiding my scale completely. Breaking that addiction was harder than giving up anything else, but I can completely see why we need to.

So I'm focusing on ensuring my meals are all template-worthy, giving up the scale and focusing on other NSV's that I can pay better attention to.

I've also been contemplating what I want to do when this Whole45 is over, and how I can modify my lifestyle in a way that works. What I've got for now is that I will do a Whole30 in the first month of every quarter, so I'll be completing one four times per year. And then in between I will eat primarily Whole 30, but will modify with Paleo for special occasions, and will only really splurge when it's REALLY worth it. I know a Whole365 isn't likely, and I don't want to set myself up for defeat, so I need a plan with guidelines to live by (or else I just go completely off course!)

I'm on my second whole30. I was pregnant the last time and made it till delivery, then the hospital food got to me. But I'm ready for another one. I really want to finish this time, and I know that it will be difficult because I have not only the fourth to contend with, but my husbands birthday as well. Las time I had an accountability partner, and this time I'm getting sucked into The sugar dragon, and it's harder to slay without someone to tell me that I can do this. Maybe being on this thread will help.

You CAN do this! :D

Any of the so-called "carb flu" you may read about is usually caused by an electrolyte imbalance, typically sodium (potassium & magnesium are the other big ones but they're more related to muscle cramps than general feeling "blah"). Since in the Whole30 we are cutting out so much processed garbage, we typically intake a lot less salt than normal.  So feel free to add salt to your food!

photo-thumb-53065.jpg?_r=1435676562 Hi Kirkor, good to see you again and absorb your words of wisdom! PS: Your avatars are always scary looking - is there a reason for that? :(

It's all from the same video game character --- for some reason I just picked him as my "theme" and stuck with it.

Maybe he can be my hero to battle the Sugar Dragon!

Day 2 is showing me that I didn't eat enough yesterday. Woke up with no energy and a headache. Lucky I had the day off and an extra couple hours of sleep did the trick. Will be on much more balanced meals today.

One question, is honey allowed? I though I knew but can't find out for sure.

No honey! Sorry...

I did something for lunch that I thought might be horrific, but turned out well... After heating up my spaghetti (sqoodles, marinara, grass fed beef), I stirred in some mayo for my fat. It made it a creamy meat sauce and was really good! The people I was meeting with about lost it, and I was a little embarrassed at first, but then it turned out awesome... YAY!

Thanks  jmcbn for the tips. I'll work on eating more eggs (not my favorite thing unless they are in an omelet or scrambled with veggies. I also found compliant sausage so I will start adding that to my breakfast too!

Where did you find the sausage? What brand is it? Thanks

Anyone else feel really tired and just not want to do ANYTHING all day long? I am 4 days in and have been a bum for last 2 days. Thankfully no headache, but I just can't seem to get up enough motivation to go to the gym or anywhere (but the couch) for that matter! *Sigh*

So incredibly irritated. Saw the dentist today but they can't do anything until Tuesday. I'll be spending the weekend in severe pain. Good part of that is I'm not tempted to eat off plan as I don't want to eat at all! Cooking pork chops tonight and cutting them in small, don't have to chew pieces while adding asparagus and 1/2 a potato.I'm miserable but I'll get through this.

OMG!!! The applie pie Larabars are AWESOME!!!! If anyone needs a sweet fix, try these!!!!

......and now I'm gonna go eat 47 of them....just playing........a little.

FYI - they recently took all of the bars off of the approved list because people weren't using them correctly. They can be used in case of emergency only.

See this blog post:

http://whole30.com/2015/06/future/

Sounds delicious!  One hint - make sure to double check your Dijon. Most is made with wine which is not compliant. And if you're up for it, homemade mayo is absolutely luscious! I never was into mayo until I started making my own on my 1st Whole 30.

My experience with mayo is completely like that of JenX! I liked mayo as a kid but haven't touched the stuff in years because of my "dieting" mindset. I'm so thankful that I gave homemade mayo a try, though!!! It is SO easy to make -- I use an immersion blender and it takes maybe 5 minutes to make including getting all of the ingredients assembled. (Note: Your egg and lemon juice should be at room temperature. I set an egg on the counter for 30min-1hr before making it.). In addition to being the best mayo I've ever tasted, the beauty of homemade mayo is that it's SO versatile and acts as the base for so many other sauces/condiments. This link (and the comments at the bottom) was invaluable to me as I prepared myself to make mayo for the first time -- http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/. Enjoy!

So incredibly irritated. Saw the dentist today but they can't do anything until Tuesday. I'll be spending the weekend in severe pain. Good part of that is I'm not tempted to eat off plan as I don't want to eat at all! Cooking pork chops tonight and cutting them in small, don't have to chew pieces while adding asparagus and 1/2 a potato.I'm miserable but I'll get through this.

Maybe cooking down some greens would be easy (spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, etc)? Best of luck - hate that you're in pain for so long!

Anyone else feel really tired and just not want to do ANYTHING all day long? I am 4 days in and have been a bum for last 2 days. Thankfully no headache, but I just can't seem to get up enough motivation to go to the gym or anywhere (but the couch) for that matter! *Sigh*

Yes!  Though that's partly because it's been really hot here so my sleep has been worse than usual.  Have you seen the timeline ?  That describes commonly felt Whole30 symptoms and when they typically occur.

Maybe try some blended soups, mashed potato, scrambled egg &/or bone broth - all very comforting & nutritious!

If you're used to having something sweet in the mornings (I forgot who mentioned granola or cake), or like me do better when you start the day with a starchy carb, my favorite is sweet potato home fries (which I have with eggs, avocado, and usually some tomato).  I bake 3-4 sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week and then every morning I take half of one, slip it out of the skin and cut it in medium sized chunks. (You could leave the skin on, but it usually falls off whether you want it to or not.)  Then I put it in a hot pan with some ghee just until the outsides get a little crispy, usually while I'm preparing the rest of my breakfast so 2-3 minutes.  It's delicious and the Japanese yams I have this week are super sweet.  I've not tried these before but they seem sweeter than regular sweet potatoes.  They're purple outside and white inside.

This (eggs, avocado, tomato, sweet potato) is basically my "go-to" breakfast, too! At the beginning of the week I cut sweet potatoes into a fry shape, toss in some olive oil and salt, and cook at 425 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. I'm completely addicted to roasted sweet potatoes; it's hard not to have them at every meal! They just have to be heated up and they are such a treat!

OMG!!! The applie pie Larabars are AWESOME!!!! If anyone needs a sweet fix, try these!!!!

......and now I'm gonna go eat 47 of them....just playing........a little.

Feeding a sweet fix is keeping your sugar dragon alive. You want to starve that ugly thing with protein fats & veggies.... 

And as monee has pointed out larabars are for emergencies only - and I don't believe you're Tom Hanks in Castaway with only a hand-made Volleyball friend named Wilson for company until you get rescued ;) 

Please eat proper food!

Are you including at least one fist sized serving of starchy veg per day? Are you drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight?

Archived