Starting July 1st

misti

Day 3 - woke up cranky and entitled! ;). Strangely enough, no headache or nausea and you won't believe what I am craving. Not sugar in my coffee, not chocolate, not baked goods. I want my plain yogurt with fruit.....sigh I would trade my firstborn for some yogurt and fruit.

Any suggestions?!?!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing....I definitely plan on making it.

I forgot to say that you can also add a hard boiled egg and tomatoes.  It almost seems like you are having lox and bagels without the bagels.

Thank you SO much for sharing that you're a WW leader and lifetimer. I attend WW meetings every week but am currently not tracking or letting them tell me what I weigh. W30 really makes sense to me. I realize that I'd much rather have a 2pt egg than a 0pt processed, fake, no-fat item! I tried to do Simply Filling, but it didn't align with my thoughts about food (avocado!). I'm fully committed to W30, but I do feel a bit like I'm cheating in some respects on an important relationship. I have a lot of weight to lose 100 lbs), so I think what I'm going to do is a "by the book" W30 (or longer if needed) and then post-W30 I may track again, but eat a W30-esque diet. As the time gets closer, I'd love to hear your post-W30 plans.

i did WW over the years and while I haven't lost bunches of weight during my W30s I have improved my health and my attitude about food and my migraines (during the first W30 i went from 12 to 6 a month and now maybe one every other month - usually when I get off track) and my digestion and my energy, etc.  it is a much better health style for me!

So far so good, but have had a headache for two days. Anyone else going through any withdrawal symptoms? I'm assuming it's sugar and alcohol. I'm also thinking I should be on the lowFODMAP shopping list, which I'm going to start soon. Thanks everyone, glad to be here.

I had a minor headache on day 2 - none today.  It will get better so just keep after it and drink lots of water.

I also started July 1st and am doing great  I cannot wait to see how this will  help  me with several issues. I  have done 2 weeks with out sugar prior to starting my whole30 program and am amazed to see the sugar dragon's demise. I have a history with this  monster. I inhale sugar and I am  insatiable.  Absolutely out of control. I am sure this  is huge part of  my issues. I should say has been as in past.

So I just finished my massive Kitchen Clean Out in preparation for starting the program on Sunday. I think it is probably a bad thing that I haven't even started the first week yet and I'm already exhausted?  I'm looking forward to the end of the second week when the boundless energy usually hits me.

I've done the clean out each time I did the program previously, and it has always been very helpful in those moments of temptation.  Unfortunately, this time everything is a little different.  Before I had a roommate that ate out a lot and very rarely cooked at home. As a result, I was able to shift all of the non-compliant items over to a single cabinet on the far side of the kitchen where I would never even have to come near them. Now I have two new roommates, and they almost never eat out and they cook at home nearly every night. So I have about three pantry shelves for my items, and it is sharing a cabinet with some non-compliant items that just wouldn't fit anywhere else.  They are all on a bottom shelf and my current strategy is to pretend that shelf doesn't exist when I reach for my coconut milk. My biggest kitchen concern right now is the refrigerator. It's about half full and not with my food, because I don't go shopping until tomorrow.

Despite these early pre-program set backs, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm going to rock this. At least, I think it is confidence, and not just that last cupcake I grudgingly finished off.

Just a thought about your non-compliant foods - put them in a box, tape it up, and put them in a closet somewhere. The non-compliant foods won't be staring you in the face and then it really takes effort to go find the non-compliant food. If like me you have a dog with a noes, you may have to put them on the shelf.  Good luck on sharing the fridge.  If all else fails you can go to Costco and get a small dorm fridge for your extra stuff.  Been there done that when I have had students living at my house.

Day 2 went well.  I realized today how much of my children's food I pop into my mouth without even thinking.   A chunk of cheese here, a spoonful of mac & cheese there.  I had the same breakfast as yesterday, 1 egg over sweet potato/apple/pancetta hash & wilted greens.  For lunch I had a left over burger, roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad, and for dinner I made the Korean Ribs from Nomnompaleo.  I served them with the Cauliflower Rice and steamed carrots.  That 'rice' is awesome!  I could eat that all day long!!

I know I'm not suppose to 'fear the fat' but after doing Weight Watchers for 8+ year I can't help but worry that I'm going to pack on the pounds.  I do also realize the irony of participating in WW, eating low-fat everything and not losing the weight, still can't wrap my head around the fat...

It has taken me awhile to not fear the fat but now I realize how much it helps to satisfy my hunger. I like to make my own pork sausage and have made up my own special blend.  last year I bought a 1/2 local pig and had lots of great ground pork. I ran out of pork and bought some from US Wellness Meats and it was also very good.  I ran out of that and before I ordered another batch, I bought a pound from a different local farmer at the farmers market and didn't like it.  Why?  It was too lean.  I never thought I would say that.  I am still learning about fat even though I have been on this journey for 3 years. The WW and media mindset tell us it is wrong when our bodies really tell us it is right.  Good luck.

Your son sounds adorable. Congrats on successful parenting skills leading to a child who at seven years old can help you think clearly in a moment of weakness. You should be proud.

My 9yr old is really into nutrition & through various conversations actually got his Gymnastics Coach on board for Whole30 - he's just starting reintros then coming back for round two :P

Wonderful I second that! Your children are better educated for their futures Good life skills to teach them moms :)

;) my son and I are a good little team...I want to be about for him, and healthy, for as long as possible.

Day 3 and I am surprised I have a minor headache and am very tired today. I thought I wasn't that far from compliant the past month while I did re-intros and I was riding my own bike but apparently I was! I see a nap in my future. At least. Have the day off work.

Great day 2!  I had my salmon/lettuce/capers/onion/olive oil/avocado/lemon juice salad (notice the fat) and was in bliss at the end of the day. Still learning to add enough fat even after 3 other W30s.  Having friends over this weekend for a birthday dinner and haven't decided the menu yet.  Possibly grilled salmon / caramelized onions (Sunset magazine July 2015) with grilled romaine and the watermelon salad from Whole30 cookbook or the scallops with ginger blueberry sauce and kale/apple slaw from that same book.  Still time to decide but leaning towards salmon since there is still Copper River available. By the way you will be surprised at how many recipes Sunset has that are easily made W30 compliant. Off to ride my bike.

I am amazed. 

OK, so I started a week earlier than July 1 cuz I had all my stuff, read the book 2x, visited these great pages for info & was ready. Why wait?

Now, I have been extremely bloated, chronically distended actually, for over 2 years...since menopause began. Nothing has helped. My docs ruled out all the "big baddies" with the usually tests (which is very, very good news). But I have been sooooooo uncomfortable. I was a vegetarian for 30 yrs until I read the Whole30 book...slowly brought good meats back into my diet until I began the W30 full force. Now I am following all the rules & enjoying the completely new foods I am eating.

Only 6 days into the W30 my abdomen began to be soft...no bloating...no discomfort...I am in shock!! And I feel so incredible good with out that belly!!! 

I am near tears writing this. I am impressed, happy, excited & plan to change my eating habits thru this learning process for the rest of my days.

Thank-You!!

P.S. All the other great changes are a coming...I can tell.  :D

I am amazed. 

OK, so I started a week earlier than July 1 cuz I had all my stuff, read the book 2x, visited these great pages for info & was ready. Why wait?

Now, I have been extremely bloated, chronically distended actually, for over 2 years...since menopause began. Nothing has helped. My docs ruled out all the "big baddies" with the usually tests (which is very, very good news). But I have been sooooooo uncomfortable. I was a vegetarian for 30 yrs until I read the Whole30 book...slowly brought good meats back into my diet until I began the W30 full force. Now I am following all the rules & enjoying the completely new foods I am eating.

Only 6 days into the W30 my abdomen began to be soft...no bloating...no discomfort...I am in shock!! And I feel so incredible good with out that belly!!! 

I am near tears writing this. I am impressed, happy, excited & plan to change my eating habits thru this learning process for the rest of my days.

Thank-You!!

You made me smile and brought tears to my eyes when I read your post. In the quest to solve my migraines, I tried being vegan.  Not only did my migraines get worse but my cholesterol went up significantly.  W30 and Paleo have changed that. It is a wonderful revelation to know that we have so much control over the good that comes into our lives.  Keep up the good work.

Starting day 3 and feeling hopeful that I can do this.  Yesterday evening I arrived home from work, my son asked me something, I got frustrated and trigger, trigger, trigger.... I wanted a martini or glass of wine really bad.  I literally had to make myself go outside, walk around and breathe.  I did finally "talk myself down". 

So this morning I'm feeling good and as I said, hopeful.  I remember, from my first W30 last summer, that if I can just distract my monkey mind between 6-8 pm, the no alcohol was do-able.  For those few minutes last night I really wanted a drink, but today I'm so glad I got through it... I slept well and this morning felt accomplished and in control of myself.  Aren't those triggers nasty little bastards? 

Now don't get me wrong, my son is a great kid, we're just going through a transitional time as he approaches 18 and I'm losing my mind!!!

A Paleo restaurant/market opened in my town!  Going there today to check it out!  What serendipitous timing.

Have a great weekend everyone.

I just tried over my cravings by mashing a whole bag of carrots with ghee and eating it all for dinner with some of yesterday's roast chicken and 5 mushrooms roasted with garlic.

I still want chocolate really bad but I'm in my pyjamas and have no intention of going out again!

Of the non-compliant items on the Whole30, know what I find myself missing and thinking I'm gonna reach for the most???

Chewing gum! Orbit Strawberry Remix. So funny to me! No chance of caving on that, but it must be a deeply ingrained habit!

I am amazed. 

Thank-You!!

Congratulations! Your post was really moving. 

Day three and definitely have a headache today.  My knees and other joints were really hurting last night, too.  Otherwise I feel fine, not too hungry or nauseous, although I have had a little heartburn the last two afternoons (I think it was the coconut oil in my lunch; I switched to ghee today to see if that helps).

First challenge tonight at a social/drinking event. I can get by the food but not having an adult beverage is hard for me like a lot of you...will bring some La Croix and concentrate on the company and the fireworks.  I have an 8 mile run planned tomorrow anyway, so not having that drink or two is for the best!

Day three and definitely have a headache today.  My knees and other joints were really hurting last night, too.  Otherwise I feel fine, not too hungry or nauseous, although I have had a little heartburn the last two afternoons (I think it was the coconut oil in my lunch; I switched to ghee today to see if that helps).

First challenge tonight at a social/drinking event. I can get by the food but not having an adult beverage is hard for me like a lot of you...will bring some La Croix and concentrate on the company and the fireworks.  I have an 8 mile run planned tomorrow anyway, so not having that drink or two is for the best!

I like to put my La Croix in a wine glass.  It makes me feel elegant!

day 3 and I AM EXHAUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! I'm at work and I can hardly focus, I feel like a drunk person....UGH!

What time of day is it where you are?

Maybe you could get out and get a walk in the fresh air?

Be sure to include at least one fist sized portion of starchy veg per day to improve energy, don't short change yourself on fats, and maybe avoid fruit in the morning as it can cause this kind of a crash in the afternoons...

And as MeGA said don't forget the water!

Archived