Starting July 1st

misti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the (interlude) Day 21: I am so over this stage hit me about 2 days late. I am so ambivalent about what to eat it took me 30 minutes to decide what to pack for lunch. I finally just went with my daily big salad and some turkey taco meat, but I don't really WANT it. I'll eat it...It'll be fine... I just am not sure I'll enjoy it.  Food doldrums, for sure!  I made a strong effort to keep new recipes happening this time, but I guess that wasn't enough to keep this stage from happening to me.  Last time it only lasted a couple of days...hopefully this time it will be the same, or even shorter.

I guess the flip side, good news, is I'm not wanting anything that is not compliant either. I am bored with food in general. :huh:  

t-mo - sounds like you're doing great! way to keep to you guns - and at breweries, no less! impressive!

Bohemian Bowlturner - I'm sorry for the loss of your co-worker.

kirkor- that's quite a collection! All I have in my house is trader joe's tuna. (oh, and kippers, sardines and crab :D)

I've barely been able to get out of bed today...totally exhausted after the last few weeks and a couple of evenings working far too late (one even not sleeping at all). Plus it looks like I'm getting my period which isn't helping. Nor is the fact that my little boy has been away for a week and isn't back until tomorrow afternoon.

I don't want to eat today either Jen...forced down 2 meals so far but no interest!

I'm so sorry BB that's so very sad ;(

I've barely been able to get out of bed today...totally exhausted after the last few weeks and a couple of evenings working far too late (one even not sleeping at all). Plus it looks like I'm getting my period which isn't helping. Nor is the fact that my little boy has been away for a week and isn't back until tomorrow afternoon.

I don't want to eat today either Jen...forced down 2 meals so far but no interest!

I'm so sorry BB that's so very sad ;(

isn't that funny....we both went from Eat.All.The.Food to  Food...Meh at the same time :)   Take advantage of your little one being away and do something nice for yourself - have a soak in the tub, grab a massage, find some way to unwind from all that work. You deserve it!

So, with day 31 right around the corner - is anyone else working on their plan for reintroductions? 

For my first Whole 30, I  did alcohol (wine), then dairy (in the form of cheese), then gluten-free grains(specifically corn, and gluten free beer), and then gluten.  It was all a slow-roll but I wasn't nearly as good about eating compliant between and testing only one thing at a time (like I  tested alcohol, and then tested cheese WITH alcohol b/c I wanted the wine & cheese combo.  Partly that was due to timing as I had a friend's wedding to attend 5 days into my re-intros (and I paid big time for what I ate/drank at that reception - I do NOT recommend going crazy right after going through 30 days on plan).

This time I am going to really do my best to eat compliant for 2 days minimum between each re-introduction. And I'm not going to make the mistake of reintroducing alcohol at the top of the list. Wine a gateway drug for me, for sure. 

Anyway, curious what you guys have in mind.

I'll be sewing labels into school uniforms by hand this evening Jen...no rest for the wicked (plus it's work and work is good! I'm really looking forward to him coming home tomorrow, life is a little bereft with just myself and the cat!

I'm carrying on whole30 through August so no reintroducing just yet for me ;)

I'm mostly W30ing through August other than wine and vodka (non-grain - Ciroc, which is made from grapes), but I am going to do reintros just to see what affects me.  Last time I didn't reintro properly and then went to Seattle for a half marathon and kind of ate and drank whatever and was soooo sick the night before the race.  My birthday is 9/3 and the next day I leave to go run the Disneyland half, so I want to have everything tested before then to see how I react.  Am I right that it goes dairy, non-gluten grains, legumes (including soy) then gluten?  Or are legumes before grains?  I'm not really missing peanuts or edamame, but like I said I really want to do a full roll out on the reintros this time.

• Moderators

I'm mostly W30ing through August other than wine and vodka (non-grain - Ciroc, which is made from grapes), but I am going to do reintros just to see what affects me.  Last time I didn't reintro properly and then went to Seattle for a half marathon and kind of ate and drank whatever and was soooo sick the night before the race.  My birthday is 9/3 and the next day I leave to go run the Disneyland half, so I want to have everything tested before then to see how I react.  Am I right that it goes dairy, non-gluten grains, legumes (including soy) then gluten?  Or are legumes before grains?  I'm not really missing peanuts or edamame, but like I said I really want to do a full roll out on the reintros this time.

You can do them in any order you want, it's the waiting at least two day (or until you feel back to normal, if you have a particularly bad reaction that takes more than two days to get over) is the important part. The link to the reintroduction information is in my signature, if you want to reread it.

Have a great time (and happy birthday)! I'm running the Disneyland Star Wars rebel challenge in January. 10k & half marathon on back to back days.

Wine, cheese, pizza, and gelato are my staples when we are in Italy so I will want to try those carefully and slowly. I have to be very selective with my pizza because the average American pizza is very different than Italian pizza. There are things I will definitely not go back to like anything from Heinz. They are not GMO-free. There are many companies that are not healthy-human-friendly that I am staying away from and keeping with compliant additives as much as possible.

Of course I may have to rethink the reintro course.

Got my period this morning...so that makes sense of the last few days! Before I started my first whole30 last year my body was b*ggered and I hadn't had a period in months but that month I had two and I have been clockwork since then so that's good ;)

Sorry about the intimate lady talking!

Hey all...

Busy week here.  Sorry I have not posted but I can assure you I have remained true to the plan.  I remain feeling good.  With a push on fitness right now, I tend to always have tired legs but I know it has to do with the volume of fitness I am doing 6 times a week rather than as a side-effect of being on the program.  I am sleeping well and even a few times this week woke up before my alarm (not the norm for me).  I am looking forward to lunch today with a nice steak and salad, plus a small apple.  So glad it is Friday.  We are going out to dinner tonight as my uncle and aunt are in town but I helped choose the restaurant which is both kid friendly (I have a boy 12 and a daughter 10.5) and there are 100% compliant meals there - Swiss Chalet.

I had my second massage this week.  A little less deep tissue and great therapy for the ongoing volume.  I have one more week (the end of our 30 days) doing two workout programs.  I will then do a bit of a break with only one remaining and then kicking it up again at the end of August.

About putting a can of tuna in the emergency stash... Make sure that it does not have Soy in it.  I had bought some tuna with "added soy".  It goes to show you always have to read the labels.

Cheers

DJ

Wine, cheese, pizza, and gelato are my staples when we are in Italy so I will want to try those carefully and slowly.

Also, if the psychological rewiring of the Whole30 is successful, you may not categorize those items as staples in the same way.

Hey all...

Busy week here.  Sorry I have not posted but I can assure you I have remained true to the plan.  I remain feeling good.  With a push on fitness right now, I tend to always have tired legs but I know it has to do with the volume of fitness I am doing 6 times a week rather than as a side-effect of being on the program.  \...

Cheers

DJ

Hey DJ - I know you said on previous W30's you didn't see any benefit from having post-WO food, but with your training volume so high it may help with the tired legs to have just a couple bites of protein/carby-veg immediately afterward.   Not enough to disrupt your usual meals as you have those locked down. It may really help your recovery between sessions.   Then again, maybe not...you may just have what we call EFL syndrome (eternally fatigued legs) which comes from high volume training :D I look forward to having some of that in the near future.

Britishgal - ditto here. I am back into a pair of pants that were not fitting for the first 23 days of this whole 30. Finally! All the bloating seems to have gone and maybe took another 1/2" or inch with it.

BB - those are my staples too, but the trashy American versions. Or I should say were my staples.  by the time I was halfway through my first Whole30 I lost all cravings for pizza. That was huge for me. Before that I could easily eat it every week. Heck, in high school I worked at a pizza parlor thinking I would get over my pizza-obsession, but instead I found myself eating it every day of the 2 years I worked there. NOT good.  Now when I see a commercial on tv I get a queasy stomach. its' so strange!  wine, cheese and gelato on the other hand... treacherous slope.

Well, the lovely friend who has been running my dog while I'm laid up has left on her trip. No more runs for Ripley for the next 2 weeks, but at least I can now get her out for walks.  Hopefully she won't go too stir-crazy. Worse comes to worse I may try taking her out with the bike for the first time. I could certainly use some time in the saddle.

I'm also happy to say my bout of food boredom only lasted through yesterday. Today I'm back to all my foods sounding delicious and looking forward to my meals. I have chicken salad for lunch with my tasty homemade mayo and greens, and slow-cooker Kahlua pig leftovers for dinner tonight along with some coleslaw.  And I'm already planning meals for next week.

Have a great weekend everyone!

That's cool the emails cover this phenomenon! I was just reading about it the other day in a different venue:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/07/extinction-burst/

It's good to be able to get a handle on our own brain.

Great article! I am totally having an extinction burst today and last night I had a dream I ate chocolate pudding. I don't even like chocolate pudding! I'm feeling a lot like I did during week 1. For a few days I was sleeping like a rock, waking up without an alarm at 6 am everyday, had loads of energy and just plain happy! Not this week though :( I've been moody, and I have slept in until 8:30 am each day. Wth? And today I just want an effin' cupcake! I will not do it though! I. Will. Not.

I'm glad everyone else is doing great. I'll be right there with y'all again soon.

Thanks Shannon!

JenX, I wanted to run the Dumbo double dare, but the 10k filled up before I could get in.  Which is fine because I'm traveling with a non-runner so we'll just enjoy the parks the rest of the time - I've never been.

I ran Goofy in January 2015 (half then full) and this January I'll run the WDW half marathon which was my first ever - I'm looking to PR in a big way so hopeful I can continue with this eating plan and have a good training season.  Some of my running friends and I are really hoping to get into the first ever Disneyland Paris half in October 2016 as well.  Nothing like a Disney race!

I started running late last year. I'd always been told I'd never be able to run because of a form of juvenile arthritis but at almost 40 I decided that edict needed defying...after all they told my parents at 9 is never walk. I did couch to 5k, running slower than I walk ;) then broke my toe on a night out (gin, heels and too much dancing!) and never got back into it.

That was 6 months ago

I think I need to do it again...my 7 year old has asked a few times if he can come running with me during the hols and I need to stop making excuses!

Maybe a goal for my August whole(other)30??

Hi everyone!  I have been traveling and it is not easy to respond to these wonderful posts on my iPhone.

I too have had the blahs about food but I think that is because I have been so busy this week and I haven't had time to properly prepare the food I like. I am doing well to stay compliant even while traveling.  There were a few times on my trip when I almost threw it all in but stayed the course. Yay!

I haven't thought about chocolate but I have thought about ice cream and Jackson's Potato Chips - both white and sweet.  They are made in Colorado and are cooked in coconut oil.  Just writing about them makes me salivate.

As for re-intros I am going to try oatmeal, goat cheese, white rice in that order.  I know better than to add wine back in more than just occasionally and I don't need to go the route of gluten because I know from past experience what it does. Can't think of anything else that I am interested in other than ice cream and potato chips.

So I found out my dog has fleas - a first for me after 30 years in Colorado.  Our spring/summer has been so damp they are everywhere when we never used to have to worry about them.  Trying to get my house clean and that is a challenge.  Hopefully cleaning lady is coming on Sunday to help.  If you have any tips about how to manage, I would welcome them.

I started running late last year. I'd always been told I'd never be able to run because of a form of juvenile arthritis but at almost 40 I decided that edict needed defying...after all they told my parents at 9 is never walk. I did couch to 5k, running slower than I walk ;) then broke my toe on a night out (gin, heels and too much dancing!) and never got back into it.

That was 6 months ago

I think I need to do it again...my 7 year old has asked a few times if he can come running with me during the hols and I need to stop making excuses!

Maybe a goal for my August whole(other)30??

If there's a Parkrun in your area it's a great way to start - and an especially great way to include your son. There's a huge range of abilities/ages and a lot of folk bring their pets too. It's timed so a great way to track progress, plus it's run by the local council and absolutely free to participate. You can register online for your barcode which they use for timing.... It's 5k by the way, and run every Saturday morning.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Hi everyone!  I have been traveling and it is not easy to respond to these wonderful posts on my iPhone.

So I found out my dog has fleas - a first for me after 30 years in Colorado.  Our spring/summer has been so damp they are everywhere when we never used to have to worry about them.  Trying to get my house clean and that is a challenge.  Hopefully cleaning lady is coming on Sunday to help.  If you have any tips about how to manage, I would welcome them.

Ugh, fleas. I had a infestation last spring. I used Advantage Plus on the dog and cats, and treated the carpets with Sentry Natural Defense powder.  I hate using the topical poison, but they were so itchy they needed fast relief.

Archived