Starting July 1st

misti

Hey All... Just thought i would chime in... I have been very good at staying compliant this entire time. Not one slip :) I'm not "craving" anything. I say "craving" because i see something that i would want (like icecream since its been so warm to cool down) or something like that but i know that i can't have it right now.  I just want it because i know i can't have it. My husband has been pretty good... not completely w30 compliant but for him, its a good step.

I don't really have any plans for re-introducing food yet. My husband and i agreed that we were going to stay as much as possible gluten free (since i have a sensitivity to gluten but not all gluten affects me) and we are definetly going to be cutting back on dairy products. i used cheese way to much cause we both love cheese. There are some dinners that could use cheese but i definetly won't be putting anywhere near as much on. I don't really have an issue with alcohol either. i'm a maybe a couple times a month have a glass and thats about it. as for the legumes, most of the time i probably won't eat them anyways. i don't have many recipes that call for beans. But i will be reading all my labels and trying to keep as much sugar out of the diet since added sugars is in everything. I do have to say that i miss my tea with some sweetness to it, a little sugar or honey.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey All... Just thought i would chime in... I have been very good at staying compliant this entire time. Not one slip :) I'm not "craving" anything. I say "craving" because i see something that i would want (like icecream since its been so warm to cool down) or something like that but i know that i can't have it right now.  I just want it because i know i can't have it. My husband has been pretty good... not completely w30 compliant but for him, its a good step. I know we aren't supposed to step on a scale, but i had to yesterday since i had a doctors appointment. I snuck a peak at my weight and i am proud to say that i am down XXlbs so far!

I don't really have any plans for re-introducing food yet. My husband and i agreed that we were going to stay as much as possible gluten free (since i have a sensitivity to gluten but not all gluten affects me) and we are definetly going to be cutting back on dairy products. i used cheese way to much cause we both love cheese. There are some dinners that could use cheese but i definetly won't be putting anywhere near as much on. I don't really have an issue with alcohol either. i'm a maybe a couple times a month have a glass and thats about it. as for the legumes, most of the time i probably won't eat them anyways. i don't have many recipes that call for beans. But i will be reading all my labels and trying to keep as much sugar out of the diet since added sugars is in everything. I do have to say that i miss my tea with some sweetness to it, a little sugar or honey.

As you said yourself it is one of the rules of Whole30 to not weigh yourself. So you had a Drs appt yesterday & you sneaked a peak at your weight which you probably could have avoided, but you certainly could have avoided reporting your findings here.

I have edited your post as I felt necessary as others may be encouraged to do the same & be disappointed or discouraged at their findings & less motivated to continue. Weight loss is not the focus here, and if it happens it is not always  linear. 

It is one thing to undermine your own Whole30, but please do not do the same for others.

I can't even imagine eating these American foods while I was in Italy

We had a wonderful array of fresh while foods

Vegetables fish steak chicken seafood much like W30 :D

Well gelato is something to think about if you don't have dairy issues mmm

Nor can I imagine eating American food in Italy. That's why we only eat Italian pizza, cheese, and gelato and drink Italian wine, none of which are anything like their American counterparts. Once in awhile we will go on an American staffed base in Vicenza, Sigonella, Naples, Aviano or Camp Darby outside of Pisa and have something American, but not often. When we were there for almost two months earlier this year we probably had less than 10 "American" meals.

Of course pasta is a staple, but it's only one of several courses which also includes vegetables, meat, cheese. My wife's cousin is a fantastic cook and we eat very well when we are staying with them. She is also very health conscious and cooks fresh.

The only time I had any dairy issues is when I came back to the from bein stationed in Spain and drinking their reconstituted "filled " milk. I couldn't dring milk for six months. The only way I've had milk for the last 30 years is in my cereal and that was skim. If I do go back to cereal it'll be with coconut.

I think it's Mr. Bowlturner... ;)

Thanks Sugar... No harm, no foul, no worries.

Miss Bowlturner

That's the way it is Fresh Healthy and nutritious

I am Italian and I know better :)

American food is made up to appeal and imitate Italian style ..most people haven't a clue

Base food is not Italian food period

My family eats Mediterranean and most proteins and vegetables pasta is only fistful sized and not a staple its another small course

it's an illusion to think you'll be eating pizza and pasta unless you go to American -catering venue

The desserts are minuscule dolci just a taste

MeGa, You are absolutely correct, but for me, at my wife's cousin's house I think she's the witch in Hansel and Gretal trying to fatten me up. This last trip I was a little more stern with "Basta, basta. Sono pieno". For the non-Italian speakers that's "Enough, enough. I'm full". I think she finally got the message because my Italian is getting better. I may have to see if there is an Italian version of the Whole version or translate a few important pages if Dallas and Melissa will allow me.

I'd be careful BB, if she's anything like my Greek great aunt announcing you are full just constitutes a personal challenge for her and she'll just bring out more...

Like Father Ted when Mrs Doyle forces tea and sandwiches onto people repeatedly til they give in ;)

The Italian cousins visited here a few years ago and had sweet potatoes for the first time and loved them. Every visit there since we went to the Army base in Vicenza to get them some. I may introduce them to spaghetti sguash if the commisary has them on the next visit. They also loved Olive Garden's salad while they were here.

BB and Britishgal !!!

Loll I'm cracking up laughing You just may be right That's exactly how they can be to be extra generous to a fault :)

You'll have to pretend you're full I'm sure she wouldn't understand why or be sleepy

Olive Garden? That's crazy they must have been intrigued so

To be fair my mother is a bit like that too...with both food, tea and alcohol ;)

we always used to joke if you walk into her house and start counting you'll rarely get to 10 before she offered you a choice of 2 or 3 drinks ;)

And her fridge groans under all the food stuffed into it "just in case"...she lives alone with her dog...

Mother does that...she lives opposite a very fancy supermarket and is constantly in there ;)

What's funny is when her sister comes to stay or Christmas (which my sister cooks nowadays) she'll go mad shopping for food and then turn up at mine to put things in my teeny freezer...cause hers is full...

My dad's whole family was like that. Didn't matter if you just came from lunch elsewhere you didn't leave until you had a meal. My grandparents were from Czechoslovokia and that was how they show their love, and handshakes or kisses, no hugs. I've since started hugging my dad after my ex-wife prompted it about 25 years ago. I still have never heard say "I love you" to anyone, though. I guess it's a telepathy thing with him.

As far as the cousins go, about all they ate when they were here was salad, but OG was their favorite. They also could not believe the obesity in this country.

We stopped at a Sonic on the way from the airport in Atlanta and were amazed by the food being brought to the car. They now have what they call McDrive in Italy which I'm guessing is a McDonald's drive through, but we have not confirmed that with a visit. If I didn't have a show in November and we could find a house/pet sitter we would be in Italy.

I went to Florence with a friend a few years ago and she insisted in going into a McDonald's...then we went to Paris with a few other friends for my birthday a year or so later and she went to another one for breakfast.

I refused to go in both times...I couldn't get my head around why? Why would someone go to beautiful cities full of wonderful food and go into a mcdonalds?

Comforts of "home", maybe?

We took a bus from Vicenza to the airbase in Ramstein, Germany and stopped at a McDonald's in the Alps. Beautiful view from inside overlooking the Alps. They did have other things besides the standard McDonald's faire, but we only had 30 minutes so you had to get "fast-food" if you didn't have your own and didn't want to starve for another 6 hours.

I'm debating weighing myself on the 31st before my August whole30 to give myself a bench line. For me this is quite momentous as I struggled with eating disorders for years and haven't stood on a scales for years. I don't even let my doctor weigh me.

It won't tell me much though I suppose ;)

Ugh, fleas. I had a infestation last spring. I used Advantage Plus on the dog and cats, and treated the carpets with Sentry Natural Defense powder. I hate using the topical poison, but they were so itchy they needed fast relief.

We switched to NexTab this summer for our dogs. It is just a little beef flavored (so they say) chewy tablet they get once a month. No messy typical stuff. It is made by the makers of Frontline. No fleas or ticks for us in NY Minnesota. Our little lap dogs, 7 and 17 lbs, sleep with us. The cat is always licking the larger one.

Maybe I should carry on doing it by clothes and other measures (my nails. skin, the whites of my eyes, my hair and the way my body feels from inside)

The scales may just be a slippery slope...

If you're thinking it may be, you should probably stay off it.

Archived