Starting July 1st

misti

Hi everyone! Day 25 already,,wow. It's getting to be regular routine with the food and I have noticed two important things.

First is the great abundance of extra energy!

Things that were dreaded tasks are now nothing. And I'm up doing things after 9 where I used to be sleeping (exhausted) by 7P.

Second, is how much clearer my thinking is. Remembering has gotten to be a fun challenge and I zip through my office (4 companies) work so quickly now.

I'm thinking of continuing through August. Really don't want to go back to the way I was.

Today's challenge ~ the county fair. I'm sure the only compliant food there will be the bottled water!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mental focus seems to be better as well as depression. I've cut my anti-depressants in half for three weeks with no affects. I will continue fro a couple more and reduce again. I would really like to go completely med free. and I think the W30 is the ticket as long as I keep watching what I'm eating. I will stay mostly compliant except for the occasional treat.

Great news, Wyndomchick!  I'm not there yet, but have been in another whole30.  It's like colors are more vibrant and you can't wait to get started in the morning.  Enjoy the fair!  You'll find compliant foods there, I;m sure.

Bohemian Bowlturner - my husband had been really depressed over the last few years.  He is doing the whole 30 with me and I'm really proud of him.  He's lost a ton of bloat (so I assume weight, too), is more energetic and more engaged in life; it didn't register with me until your post that the whole 30 has undoubtedly been helping his depression, too.  I'm going to talk to him about it, because just this morning, he asked when we can go back to our "normal" way of eating.  I told him that this is now our normal way of eating - we're not going back to processed foods and quick, empty foods.  We have to use good ingredients and make it - like it matters!

I went out for lunch today with an old friend...we went somewhere where I know the chef (and he knows what I can eat) so I was really careful but now, 3 hours later, the front of my head feels like it's going to explode and the back of my head, my neck and shoulders are achy and stiff ;(

I'm so tired of food and what it seems to be doing to me just now. Part of me wants to go back to last year, overweight and addicted to diet coke but not having to worry about wheat allergies and eating out and whether my eyes will swell up again.

I feel a bit like a freak ;(

Now my jaw is achy and I have a sore throat when I swallow...plus my eyes are itchy and everything is suddenly just a bit too bright...

All I can think of is cross contamination

I'm never eating out again ;(

It's just after 6pm but I have let my son loose on his iPod so I can go to sleep for an hour...

Now my jaw is achy and I have a sore throat when I swallow...plus my eyes are itchy and everything is suddenly just a bit too bright...

All I can think of is cross contamination

I'm never eating out again ;(

It's just after 6pm but I have let my son loose on his iPod so I can go to sleep for an hour...

That sounds awful! I really hope you are feeling better soon.

Still here, still compliant, still 'meh'. All I can figure is I'm not eating enough veggies and not getting enough activity. I am not one of those people who has two kids and can make it to the gym everyday. I have two kids, I'm a teacher, married, and can't figure how to fit in more than a walk each day. I'm planning my reintros - glad to see I don't need I stick to the order in the book. I'm taking away from this experience that I don't have to fear the fat, that sugar is in EVERYTHING, and I've acknowledged my snacking habit. I felt better when I just focused on 'clean' eating so I will go back to mostly that.

Hey team

Dinner was good.  My uncle and aunt are good people.  Today my wife and two kids are off to a local beach in a public park with a friend of my son's and the son's mother (who used to be a friend of my wife as teenagers).  They left me here.  A day of rest and not much else.  I decided to take today off from my routine and do today's workout tomorrow (max lifts).

I did a little cleaning here and made some food for next week.  I am going to watch the live feed of the crossfit games at 4 PM here and take it easy before the family comes home.  Just finished a lunch of lamb chops, guacamole, and salad (with a Starbucks Americano).

Enjoying the weekend and only one more week of this W30 (although I plan to continue), one more week of work (before 3 weeks of vacation) and I am pretty interested to weigh in on Friday (I wait to the 31st day to get the impact of the full 30 days).

BG - sorry about the feeling poor.  If you think it is food related, strict program and 100% self-make meals should help you get back on course.  Hope it is not you getting sick!!!

JenX - I typically eat M1 right after doing my workouts in the AM.  I normally wake up, shave and workout right away.  If I was to have a post-workout meal... it would be a PWO meal followed immediately by my breakfast.   I don't do well working out on a full stomach and eating 5 minutes after waking up just to do so to accommodate a PWO meal does not work for me.  Thanks for the advice and the encouragement!  Enjoy the walks with the dog!

Cheers

DJ

BG just keep a stiff upper lip and remember "this too shall pass" Take it one day at a time, if not one hour at a time, if necessary.

I'm getting a little discouraged about other crap, but I won't vent here.

I am getting a little frustrated with th plan. It's starting to wear on me a bit.

Here's the thing, when I eat enough to get to the next meal without starving, I'm usually too full to do much for up to 2 hours but when I back off just a little I seem to get hungry within an hour or two and it's aa sstruggle to get to the next meal without snacking.

I am planning to start work on my deck this week and neither of these scenarios will work very well. I do okay in the shop because it's not strenuous work, but outside in the heat and humidity with much more strenuous work is going to be quite challenging. I will probably go through 1/2 to 1 gallon of water just in the morning.

For M1 I had a burger a chicken sausage 2 eggs with vegetables and about a thumb of olive oil and was fine during our 2.5 mile walk a half hour after eating. Lunch consisted of cauli rice topped with 2-3 palms of chili and coconut and sunflowers at 12:30. By 3 Istarted getting hungry and justified a handful of nuts ith the thought that this is almost over, so who cares.

In summary, I too, have struggled with food durring the past 3 weeks. I think i will do number 2 - 30 within a couple of weeks to see if I can get this thing figured out.

Could you add a meal 4 BB if you are doing strenuous work? Maybe you will need the extra?

I dont really know what hunger cues are after so long in my younger years not eating much at all so I'm not much help in that front. I would eat rubbish and snack and all those things because emotionally i just want the food (whole packets of Jaffa cakes because I'm sad...) but I would never eat a snack because I'm physically hungry. In fact I can forget to eat, sometimes for days and not realise I haven't, though only if my son isn't here...I only neglect myself!

I had a sleep earlier but I still feel like Ive been hit by a bus! I never ever get headaches. I have resorted to my favourite therapy, a hot bubbly bath, before I try and sleep again.

Hello everyone! Well, we're into the home stretch. I'm going to do weights and measures on the 31st but am not holding my breath for any massive changes this time around. My body was definitely concentrating on healing instead of dropping fat this go, and that's okay. Pants are fitting slightly better over the last week so I'll be happy with whatever those numbers show. I'm still waffling about doing a formal reintroduction or going slow roll again. I always seem to have a problem in that by the time I reach the last week I don't really want any of the old/less healthy foods so it's hard to work on putting them back in. Yet I suppose I should do all of them this time properly just to see the reaction should I find myself ingesting them in the future.

After breakfast I'm going to throw the dog in the car and head for the beach. Time to get some fresh air and sunshine. Then I can hit the butcher nearby too, and maybe the farmers market. Much better way to spend a Sunday morning than cleaning the house.

Britishgal - I hope you're feeling better!

Oh well... a lazy Sunday is just what I needed.   My son had an art camp for just over an hour but otherwise... no plans.  I am watching the live feed of the Crossfit games and enjoying my Starbucks Americano (Expresso and hot water).  Food is on point and I am feeling good.  Something in the air is bugging my eyes a bit but it is not slowing me down at all.

Last week!!! bring it home!

Cheers

DJ

I've still had a headache today but nothing like last night and my eyes feel fine so I'm thinking if anything sneaked into yesterday's food it wasn't wheat *relief* looks like the headache caused my eyes to ache last night rather than the start of another weeklong episode. Maybe it was just a headache unrelated totally to food!

I took painkillers and spent the day in RHS Tatton. It was lovely but when my son and my friend's kids all ate fresh made pizza and my friend are a hog roast sandwich I did feel removed from life somewhat...and I don't even really like pizza!

Afterwards though we went to my sister's for an early dinner and a play for the kids and she had cooked a compliant goulash and baked potato for me (pasta and garlic bread for everyone else). We are used to gluten free recipes as my bil's aunt is caeliac and he works for a big gluten free food company but she'd even missed the pince of sugar out of the stew ;) that made me feel a little bit better about the ostracisation I've been feeling.

My mother told me I'd lost weight. My 16 year old nephew then pretended to have a heart attack with the shock as my mother never says anything nice to or about me. EVER.

Hi all,,, wondering if anyone has checked out Real Plans, an meal planner that includes a paleo setting? And if anyone else attended their webinare tonight? It is endorsed by No Nom.

I subscribe to 3 or 4 of these and an looking for a good one to use after the W 30 finishes.

@wyndomchick - No, I haven't but I may take a look.  I've never used a meal planner before.

@britishgal - I'm so glad it wasn't' a full-blown reaction like last time! Hope you're feeling even more like normal and ready to tackle these last "official" few days. I know you're continuing on but  we should all do a little happy-dance at day 31, yes?

After much waffling back and forth, I've decided to do the complete reintroduction schedule, purely as a learning experience. I do have a happy hour with some friends on my Day 5 so I'm going to play with the schedule a bit to allow for that.

JenX's reintroduction schedule (drum roll please...!!):

Day 1: Evaluate legumes (pb in the morning, beans on my salad at lunch, soy sauce/miso at dinner)

Days 2, 3 and 4 eat 100% compliant (I figure it may take me that long to get over legumes anyway... plus it gets me through the danger that is the weekend)

Day 5: Evaluate (non-grain) alcohol (@ happy hour) - hello..WINE. 'nuf said

Day 6 & 7 eat 100% compliant

Day 8: Evaluate non-gluten grains (rice, corn, quinoa would be the things I choose. or drop quinoa and do white & brn rice & corn)

Day 9 & 10: eat 100% compliant

Day 11: Evaluate Dairy (yogurt, butter, cheese - I don't do milk anyway)

Day 12 & 13 eat 100% compliant

Day 14: evaluate gluten grains (toast from work so I don't have to bring bread in the house, regular beer, ww pasta)

That takes me to 8/13, and my trip to Napa & Sonoma is on 8/21 so I will eat 100% compliant up to that point, knowing I am going to off-road somewhat up north. And now I'll be going in knowing what will affect me, and how it will affect me so I can make proper choices and really enjoy my weekend. Plus, I know this schedule needs to be fluid since if I react poorly to something it may take more than 2 days of eating compliantly to get back to normal.

There! I feel so much better knowing I have a plan on board.  The bad part is this means I have to wait until day 8 or longer if I have a bad reaction to anything before I can have the (gluten free) beer I've been dreaming about, but that's okay - I've waited this long, I can wait longer. 

Now I need to print this post out and put it up everywhere in the house. Plus make sure I have single serve amounts of some of these foods. I guess I should soak/cook my own beans rather than use canned, but that's not realistic.

Anyone have any thoughts, input, suggestions?

I've read of other people testing soy separate from legumes, since it's got it's own potential issues.

Good point. Maybe I'll just do soy, and tack on the other legumes later on. I really don't miss pb or beans, but I do like my soy sauce and the occasional bit of organic tofu. I could do a tofu scramble that morning, miso soup at lunch and put soy sauce on my Meal 3.

Here's my deck update.

Yesterday had 2 muffin eggs, burger, andouille sausage and guac which lasted longer than I did. Had to quit after 2 hours because of the heat and humidity and took me about 4 hours to recover.

Today M1 was 2 muffin eggs (they always are about half veggies), a sausage, gauc and cauli rice at 7:30 am, quit for lunch at 1, but didn't get the first sign of hunger until 1:15 and ate at 1:45.

Now it's 3:15 and going to mow (rider) in 90° heat, but feeling great.

Day 28.  I haven't posted much but have been hanging in there.  Feeling good and sleeping great.  Starting to think about reintro's and what I can glean from my first experience this time last year.  Interesting thing, to me, is that after my first Whole 30 I never did go back to cereal for breakfast.  Just didn't want it anymore, and I was a huge Cheerios and Raisin Bran eater.  I kept to having a couple boiled eggs with chopped veggies.  Another unintentional change was not drinking milk.  Again, I used to drink milk every day, and this past year now I just don't. 

A great gift of this Whole 30 experience is the opportunity for self reflection.  I'm a woman in my early 50s, my son just graduated and is leaving the nest, and I feel like I'm on an untraveled path, but that I get to define what's ahead. 

Interesting thing, to me, is that after my first Whole 30 I never did go back to cereal for breakfast. Just didn't want it anymore, and I was a huge Cheerios and Raisin Bran eater. I kept to having a couple boiled eggs with chopped veggies. Another unintentional change was not drinking milk. Again, I used to drink milk every day, and this past year now I just don't.

Ya, I think that's part of the "stealth" benefits of a Whole30. It's not always about crazy dramatic shifts in health or mood or energy or shopping or cooking, but sometimes it's just those little tweaks in lifestyle that persist, and over time your body's going to be that much better for it.

Archived