Starting July 1st

misti

Did anyone else read the blog post Whole30 linked on Facebook today? It was part 2 on Taming Your Sugar Dragon. the section on Trigger Two: Emotional Connections is me to a tee!  I've always scoffed at the "emotional eating" idea that I was stuffing my feelings, or trying to fill a hole in my psyche or whatever, but THIS kind of emotional attachment to food I can fully understand. And it will be something I'm really going to have to pay attention to going forward. This is pretty much how I went from my last Whole 30 accomplishment back to eating too much of the wrong foods in the space of a month - saying What the Hell and going all in. Yup.

"Sometimes it’s not the food itself, but the association you have with the food that rouses your Dragon. For example, bread is something I almost never eat—I basically consider it off-limits, because 99% of the time, it’s just not good enough to be worth it. But on those occasions when it’s fresh-baked, still warm, and served with a honey butter, I’ll indulge… and immediate start craving everything in sight. What’s going on here? The idea of eating bread basically opens the less-healthy-food floodgates on an emotional and psychological level. I think to myself, well if I’m eating bread, it must be a free-for-all! It’s a touch of the “what the hell” effect: after giving into a little temptation, we say, “What the hell, my clean eating is already ruined, might as well go all in (with the cheese, and the wine, and the cake…).” It’s not the bread itself, it’s the idea of eating bread. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-2/#sthash.Id4PNrd8.dpuf

This is so me!! My daughter's birthday is August 1st, and I am struggling mentally with sticking to my Whole30 (restarted on 23rd) or breaking it (yet again, *eyes roll*) and restarting when my husband plans to on August 3rd. I've been struggling for days with this, and this blog post has really resonated with me. This is the last birthday this year in our house and our anniversary isn't til September. I wish I was better at celebrating anything without feeling like the food is such an integral part.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just you sailor...I've been arguing with myself about tomorrow. Part if me (the daft part) thinks tomorrow can be full of chocolate, sweets and vimto but the other 99% of me knows that I owe myself a direct run through to September!

And I know how the food is integral to enjoyment and celebration thing feels. You will get used to celebrating without eating certain foods...it'll take time x

It's not just you sailor...I've been arguing with myself about tomorrow. Part if me (the daft part) thinks tomorrow can be full of chocolate, sweets and vimto but the other 99% of me knows that I owe myself a direct run through to September!

And I know how the food is integral to enjoyment and celebration thing feels. You will get used to celebrating without eating certain foods...it'll take time x

Yep! Right there with you both. My brain big-time wants a reward tomorrow. It seems to want to reward in the form of alcohol. However I have my reintroduction plan, and I am going to stick with it. I'm not saying it will be easy, because it certainly won't. My inner two-year-old is going to be having temper tantrum's all weekend. But I'll survive.

Celebrated this being day 30 by having something different for breakfast, no eggs just sweet potatoes chicken and vegetables. Tasted really good and satisfying. I think it's important to still celebrate with food but to celebrate with the right foods.

I had at least three food dreams last night that I remember and they all involved me eating something noncompliant on day 30. I need to make sure that doesn't become a reality today! LOL!

I've never had one of the much touted food dreams Jen...kind of feel like I'm missing out! ;)

I've noticed that in this whole30 I've eaten far fewer eggs, hardly any at all really. Far more red meat. Feel better for it so I'm continuing on with eggs as an occasional meal and far more beef, steak and lamb (in addition to my usual chicken, seafood and fish...that hasn't changed)

I've never had one of the much touted food dreams Jen...kind of feel like I'm missing out! ;)

You are! :)  They can be hilarious and other times they're just mortifying. Mine mostly revolve around me slipping up, finding out, and then being really upset/guilty and resolutely restarting my Whole 30.  I guess it's just my id's way of recommitting or something?  Anyway, to have 3 in one night was rare, and actually had me smiling by the time I got up. I think my brain was working out the fact that we are not done yet, even at the end of today, we are not done yet, and that's good. I want that in the forefront of my brain as I wake up tomorrow on day 31.

I've tried a few egg-free breakfasts with ground beef, but found it doesn't agree with me that early in the day. Ground turkey is fine, though so I need to make up some sausage-seasoned turkey for the next couple of days.

I do leftovers for breakfast most of the time...it's one of my rare meal planning incidents! I've stopped thinking of it as breakfast too ;)

Though it has led to my 7 year old asking for steak for breakfast regularly now...

Psychologically I feel a bit iffy (maybe where the argument with myself about tomorrow comes in) as I'm not finishing tomorrow...think I feel a teensy bit left out! X

DAY 30!!!! I know I haven't been posting but I've been following the posts and proudly staying compliant. I've been thinking a lot about tomorrow and how I'm gonna eat moving forward. I'm thinking I'm gonna eat 5 days compliant and 2 days "regular". On those other days I'll allow a piece of chocolate, a glass of wine, or some cheese (not all together of course). I don't think I've lost any weight during this month but I've noticed other changes like not feeling as bloated, sleeping well and my skin is GLOWING!!!

For those of you who are experienced with all of this, what are your thoughts about my idea of doing 5 days on/ 2 days off moving forward? My birthday is next weekend and I'm gonna eat a brownie...and have wine ❤️

For those of you who are experienced with all of this, what are your thoughts about my idea of doing 5 days on/ 2 days off moving forward? My birthday is next weekend and I'm gonna eat a brownie...and have wine ❤️

Congrats on making it to day 30!

Have a look at this thread about off-roading on the weekends.

Are you planning reintros before that brownie & wine next weekend?

They can be hilarious and other times they're just mortifying. Mine mostly revolve around me slipping up, finding out, and then being really upset/guilty and resolutely restarting my Whole 30.  I guess it's just my id's way of recommitting or something? 

JenX, Yes, that's exactly how my dreams go as well! BTW, thanks so much for all your insights throughout the month. There have been several times I've experienced a challenge and reading a post of yours made me realize, "ok, I'm not alone in experiencing this, therefore it's something I can work through".  Great advice on multiple accounts!

Thanks also to all the members for sharing your experiences--reading about some of our common challenges makes conquering them easier!

DAY 30 everyone! Congratulations not in order quite yet, but DARN CLOSE! Good Work everyone!

I'm recommitting to Whole30 for August with just a couple of exceptions I noted in a previous post. I am however getting myself back into the gym REGULARLY. I've been so focused on cooking and my food intake this month that I've been completely sporadic on the work-out front. August is time to get STRONG AGAIN.

Congrats on making it to day 30!

Have a look at this thread about off-roading on the weekends.

Are you planning reintros before that brownie & wine next weekend?

Thanks for the links! After reading them I'm rethinking my 5/2 plan...someone said something about eating compliant while at home and being more relaxed when they were dining out and I like that idea. As far as reintroduction goes, I'm going to reintroduce grains and dairy a few days apart, wine after that...I'm staying away from added sugar (with the exception of the occasional dark chocolate or the rare brownie when dining out). My sugar dragon is strong so I can't get too relaxed with it.

I've tried that adrian0808 and failed miserably! I found Monday mornings awful so Tuesday became Monday...and so on. Hope you are more successful though x

Yeah I'm rethinking the whole weekend thing...I like what another member said when they talked about being compliant at home and being more relaxed while dining out

Thanks for the links! After reading them I'm rethinking my 5/2 plan...someone said something about eating compliant while at home and being more relaxed when they were dining out and I like that idea. As far as reintroduction goes, I'm going to reintroduce grains and dairy a few days apart, wine after that...I'm staying away from added sugar (with the exception of the occasional dark chocolate or the rare brownie when dining out). My sugar dragon is strong so I can't get too relaxed with it.

I think this is a much better idea, and one I should adopt as well. Heck, it may force me to be more social!

So it is day 30 and I am in a mediation all day. They brought in a horrible salad.  I should have brought my own.  I decided not to eat the salad and just drink water until I can get some real food.  Am I being a W30 snob?  I know I should eat but I can't bring myself to eat turkey that I know has sugar in it plus a bunch of other additives. I did finally go out and get a salad.

That being said it has been a good W30.  I have had tiger blood for the past 2 weeks. I have been sleeping well. My only complaint is that my pants fit them same as at the start.  I have been mostly paleo for almost 3 years and while I feel great it is not a weight loss program for me.  Not sure what I need to differently because I have done low carbs and eating carbs.

I had said I was thinking about continuing on but I am going to call it good at the end of today. After reintro, I am going to stay compliant unless I am eating out and then only if I can't be compliant (oils, sugars).  I know I don't need to add in gluten or legumes.  But do want to check out some favorites that I want to use in the winter.  Goat cheese, oatmeal and rice and maybe natural sweeteners - honey and maple syrup. But the sweeteners will probably lead to baking and those are my gateway foods.

I like the encouragement I get from the posts on this thread.  Do we start a new one under Reintro or do we keep up with each other here? 

• Moderators

Hi Bojibelle!

From what I understand, you're more than welcome to stay here and carry on your thread with the caveat that non compliant food and re-intro are not discussed so as not to confuse newbies who come along.  If you want to encourage eachother and discuss off plan foods/off roading etc... the moderators have mentioned in the past to please start yourselves a thread in one of the 'after Whole30' boards.

Congrats all on finishing strong!

I had an hour and a half where I had no sewing work in my lounge (except for my mothers but she doesn't pay me so it's not work ;) )...then a friend turned up with a huge bag full ;)

On a plus point though apparently I am wasting away. I'm not, I'm still about a UK 12/14 (and she's a size 8) but it's nice to hear I'm losing some weight!

On those other days I'll allow a piece of chocolate, a glass of wine, or some cheese (not all together of course)

Not all together? Nothing better than wine, cheese and chocolate together at the same time provided you have the right wine, good cheese and Italian chocolate. In all seriousness though, I hope your reintro goes well amidst your myriad of course corrections, whether they be in conjecture or practice.

I have not made my plan for reintro yet. For now I will continue to be compliant until such time that I may not want to be then ponder it for a while before acting on it. I've just been too busy to plan ahead much.

I made it and forgot to weigh this morning. Go figure. But I had a doc appt so they did the honors. Just as I suspected - no weight loss. Frustrating so I am focusing on all the NSVs I had this month. I did start reintroducing with

Steel cut oats cooked over night in the crock pot. and my gut doesn't like it so not going to do any more today and head back to W30 land for the next two days until my next challenge of goat cheese.

I made it and forgot to weigh this morning. Go figure. But I had a doc appt so they did the honors. Just as I suspected - no weight loss. Frustrating so I am focusing on all the NSVs I had this month. 

Have you noticed a change in how your clothes fit or any other body composition changes?  The scale wouldn't necessarily reflect those shifts, as powerfully illustrated in this article

Morning all and happy day 31! I posted my success story yesterday, because the NSVs really are more important. Then this morning I edited it to add my totals. Down 7.5 lbs and 5"! Much more than I was expecting this round. So, on to re introductions. I guess we should start a thread down in that category but I hate to split the group between those moving on and those continuing on.

Archived