Fluctuating Hunger: Still Hungry After Breakfast, No Appetite for Lunch

Hi all!

I've mastered having a morning appetite by not eating after 8pm - I found the twelve-hour fast to be helpful - but I have a new issue!

Right after breakfast I'm usually still hungry for 15-30 minutes. I haven't been eating to satisfy that belly-nagging, because I'm not sure if it's actual hunger or my mind playing tricks. But, once lunch time rolls around, I'm not feeling the hunger cues to eat. 

Have other people run into this problem? Should I eat anyway, since it's been 5 hours since my last meal?

(For reference, breakfast is usually 3 whole eggs, 1 turkey sausage link, and a big serving of kale, 1/4 cup of sweet potato, onions, and 1/2 an avocado) 

Thanks for any wisdom you can send my way!

Amanda

That's a very tiny breakfast.  Eat twice that much.  1 turkey sausage and 1/4 of sweet potato are like hors 'doeuvres before the real breakfast. 

Eat 3-4 eggs and another palm size protein source,  eat the entire sweet potato with an entire skillet of roasted kale.  Turkey and chicken are low on satiety for the long haul and lasting power.   

• Moderators

(For reference, breakfast is usually 3 whole eggs, 1 turkey sausage link, and a big serving of kale, 1/4 cup of sweet potato, and onions) 

The protein amount there is probably okay, but I would try more vegetables, plus some more fat -- maybe up the amount of sweet potato, add some zucchini or something in with the kale, and have some avocado or olives or  some mayo or something, in addition to whatever you'd normally have cooked your food in. Hopefully then you wouldn't still feel hungry right after you eat.

I would say if it's been five hours, try to eat something. Plate up a template meal and eat what you can of it. It may be that when you start eating, you realize you were hungry (I know my hunger cues when I eat W30 style are very different than what I used to experience, and I didn't really realize that's what they were at first, so I would think I wasn't hungry, but make myself eat a little something, and realize I actually was hungry).  Or if you start eating and you're really not hungry, eat a little protein, fat, and vegetables from your plate, and then wrap it up and set it aside, and eat it later when you are hungry.

Archived