Understanding the Carb Curve

AnnaH

I completed my first 10k on Memorial Day and I finished my first Whole30 on June 2nd - between the two I got a crazy idea to sign up for not only my first 1/2 marathon but also my first full marathon. Not sure if I am crazy or if it's the Tiger Blood.

That being said, I want to be sure I am kind to my body and am properly refueling after my workouts. I have seen mixed answers as to how much to eat post workout, and since my workouts vary I would guess that my post workout meals should too. Lately I have been doing one Aidell's Chicken Apple sausage after my shorter runs (3-4 miles) and one sausage + 1/2 a sweet potato after an Orange Theory workout, or a longer run (5+ miles). I question whether or not this is a) enough Protien (i.e. should I be eating two), and B) is this the best post workout Protien choice (should I be concerned with the fat in sausage?)

As for the starchy veg - the first book talks about using the Carb Curve. But even the book mentions that the scale is subjective. I am trying to figure out where I fit in so I can vary my starches based on my run time lengths. I have been running fairly consistently 3-4 times per week since Jan 1 - I have been using the Hal Higdon programs to go from couch to 5k, 5k to 7k, 7k to 10k, and now from the 10k to the 1/2. In my opinion I am within the ideal range for my weight. I would venture to guess that from a pure vanity perspective I could cut more weight - but cutting weight is not my goal. I want to be sure that my body is strong & that I am preventing injury. Has anyone seen any more descriptive guidelines for the Carb Curve scale? Even if I am to the far right, 1/2 of sweet potato exceeds the grams suggested.

Am I overthinking this?

• Moderators

You are thinking about the carb curve more than I ever have. My basic approach is to eat at least one whole sweet potato or equivalent per day when I am training hard. I sometimes eat two per day just because it is easy. I don't think this adds a benefit, but I don't think it hurts either (except that I should eat more variety). 

The recommendation is to eat a palm-size portion of lean protein as a post-workout meal. I am not familiar with the fat content of Aidell's chicken sausage, but the more fat it contains, the less help it is after a workout because the fat slows digestion.

First: Congratulations on your first 10k! That's pretty awesome. High five.

Second: I like how thoughtful (read: super proactive + analytical) you are about workouts, fueling and planning. It shows commitment to both your training and your health. Also, I think along similar lines. :) The rest of what I'm suggesting is through a running-specific lens.

That said, you're a new runner - both to the activity and to building your overall mileage. Your body is going through A LOT of adaptations. Factor in whole 30 and you got a lot of stuff going on. Which means, it's sort of like planning for an unknown. How and what your body needs will be different from mine even if we were to run the same distance. So prescribing the same post workout fuel for the 2 of us shouldn't be the same. Use the templates/suggestions as a starting point but don't treat it as cast in stone. Feel free to add/adapt according to what works for you. What you're suggesting (sausage/sausage + sweet potato) sounds fine.

I followed Jack Daniels (intermediate/advanced) program for my 10k - and I found my appetite/needs changed with the intensity as well of duration of workout. Intervals/hills/tempo/speed runs needed different fueling than easy pace runs. Just my 2 cents...from my distant  memory 10k races. :)

Archived