Is anyone starting 9/6?

Ashley

I am! My two friends and I are starting today. I'm in NC. How are you doing?

Do you know what kinds of oils we can have-- I want to make mayo and I don't really want to do it with olive oil and I've been searching but haven't found the answer yet. I have safflower...dang, I thought my mayo was compliant till I found out last night that soybean oil is a no-no :(

I posted about oils and most people said only coconut and olive, but someone else said a couple others, while healthy, are not optimum but not forbidden. So I used part Extra Virgin Olive and part Safflower to make my mayo. That's what I had in the house. It came out YUMMY! Yay me!

Ok let's do this people!! Crayons, Amarie, Cassie & Maisaura - we got this!

Cassie - I face the SAME battles. We CAN do this. We just have to believe that it is possible and that we don't need the foods our demons might push us towards. I was bulimic for a good 6-8 months then fell to a food binger and here I am 2 years later. It never gets easier, we just get stronger at resisting temptation. Here's to almost 2 days down!

and for making mayo, try coconut oil!

I dunno, really? It's not too sweet, or coconutty?

I did....first day progress. One challenge I forsee is being brutally honest with myself and my food demons. Any support I can give or get is much appreciate. Good luck...29 days to health.

Thankfully, for me, I had already given up most of what we're supposed to: grains, starchy veggies, sweeteners except for stevia. My biggie for this is stevia and dairy. I didn't eat a lot of dairy, but I love me some heavy cream. And butter. Cheese was more of a condiment to me, but the other two things were daily.

What's hard is reading labels for this-- I'm a label reader anyway, but sulfites are a new thing, and soybean oil is a toughie. It's in EVERYthing.

Ok let's do this people!! Crayons, Amarie, Cassie & Maisaura - we got this!

We DO have it! Two days down, 28 to go.

What're you guys gonna do on Day 31? Go back to your old ways, or do you think you might end up with new habits?

We've made it to Day 3.! I will be doing XFit today and start some food planning & cooking. I was at Costco yesterday and saw they had the Paleo Comfort Food cookbook.. Some yummy looking recipes. Of course I will be sure that anything I make its100% Whole 30. I also want to make some of the recipes in the It Starts With Food book also. My problem most of the time is failing to plan and have meals ready, especially when I'm packing lunch for work and after work when I get home and am immediately wanting to eat something.

Cassie you are so right about checking labels. I love ice tea and make sun tea all the time. I made a gallon of peach sun tea and then read the ingredients on the label. It contained soy lecithin. What?! So read ALL labels. I certainly didn't think there were additives in tea from tea bags.

Day 31 - At this point I am planning to stay with this 100%. Maybe a Whole45 or 60. But first I've got to complete 30.. I've failed so many times, this time I've got to keep with it to reap the full benefits and make it a lifestyle.

Have a great Whole 30 weekend everyone.

My problem most of the time is failing to plan and have meals ready, especially when I'm packing lunch for work and after work when I get home and am immediately wanting to eat something.

I made a gallon of peach sun tea and then read the ingredients on the label. It contained soy lecithin. What?! So read ALL labels. I certainly didn't think there were additives in tea from tea bags.

Day 31 - At this point I am planning to stay with this 100%. Maybe a Whole45 or 60. But first I've got to complete 30.. I've failed so many times, this time I've got to keep with it to reap the full benefits and make it a lifestyle.

I thought I had next to nothing in my deep freezer, which I kind of do (you can see the bottom!), and I don't get my grocery budget money till the 19th. I only have like $36 left in the grocery account. So I went through my "paleo" cookbook (I print recipes off the 'net, put them in sleeve protectors in a binder) and found something like 11 or 12 meals I can make with what I have in the house. YAY! I was all stressed about what I want and what I thought I didn't have. But I have plenty to make it through :D

I'm not bad for planning, usually. I do love to cook, but it's only ds11 and me, and he's not into food at ALL (nutty kid!), so I'm pretty good with having plain things, say, roasted chicken thighs and a veggie. I do get a little bored sometimes.

This morning I had a small yellow squash, sauteed in coconut oil with curry powder and a tiny bit of onion, then I added salsa and 2 eggs and scrambled it all up. WOW, it was good! Oh, and a pickle spear on the side.

I have to remember to get lots of water.

Yeah, I kwym about tea! Isn't that annoying? I have lots of herb teas and most of them have things like barley malt in them. Gah. Glad I'm mostly a coffee drinker, but I do love a good cuppa tea now and then.

Why have you failed so many other times, do you think? I've been kind of on a diet rampage over the last two years, and I have learned so much about my body and let go of so many things I thought I never could (grains, popcorn, chocolate, ice cream, bread, potatoes) that I'm pretty good with it, now. I have been dairy free for 2+ days now. Maybe I can do this!

Just checking in to see how everyone is surviving? ;)

@Maiasaura Have you tried taking a can of coconut milk putting it in the refrigerator overnight then eating the "cream" on top? Very similar in texture to heavy cream and I have been enjoying a spoonful or two in my tea.

In response to the question as for the fate of day 31...my gym is participating in a 9-week Paleo Challenge that begins next week (September 17) and if I were to join that would take me beyond the Whole 30 and hopefully establish a more solid habit. The "rules" are basically strict paleo with the exception of a 6oz glass of wine daily and a packet of stevia being allowed, so keeping with the Whole 30 would more than keep me on track. Haven't decided whether I will be joining or not, but leaning towards it only to keep myself from binging on day 31 just because I can.

6 days strong!!!

Just checking in to see how everyone is surviving? ;)

@Maiasaura Have you tried taking a can of coconut milk putting it in the refrigerator overnight then eating the "cream" on top? Very similar in texture to heavy cream and I have been enjoying a spoonful or two in my tea.

In response to the question as for the fate of day 31...my gym is participating in a 9-week Paleo Challenge that begins next week (September 17) and if I were to join that would take me beyond the Whole 30 and hopefully establish a more solid habit. The "rules" are basically strict paleo with the exception of a 6oz glass of wine daily and a packet of stevia being allowed, so keeping with the Whole 30 would more than keep me on track. Haven't decided whether I will be joining or not, but leaning towards it only to keep myself from binging on day 31 just because I can.

6 days strong!!!

Nice job Cassie! I think that challenge sounds very good! Go for it!

-Quinn

@Maiasaura Have you tried taking a can of coconut milk putting it in the refrigerator overnight then eating the "cream" on top?

my gym is participating in a 9-week Paleo Challenge that begins next week (September 17) and if I were to join that would take me beyond the Whole 30 and hopefully establish a more solid habit. The "rules" are basically strict paleo with the exception of a 6oz glass of wine daily and a packet of stevia being allowed, so keeping with the Whole 30 would more than keep me on track. Haven't decided whether I will be joining or not, but leaning towards it only to keep myself from binging on day 31 just because I can.

6 days strong!!!

LOL@binging on day 31 because I can...that sounds SO like me. I say go for it but don't indulge in the wine or stevia. I can't imagine what that would do-- but maybe for an experiment have ONE glass of wine on ONE day and don't have any more for 2-3 days, to see if it has an effect. And don't change anything else so that if it does, you will know it's the wine. I love experimenting with my body, now!

Yes, I have done that with coconut milk, but I forgot all about it. I used to do that, and then drink the leftover liquid, sweetened with stevia. Maybe will have to try it unsweetened.

I found a coconut at the store today and it's a good one, yay! The last two I bought were bad. And a $3 waste-- not like you can bring an opened coconut back to the store :(

Yay for 6 days!

I think I am eating too much. I was tracking on MyPlate and stopped on Day1 when I stopped tracking my weight. But I think I have been eating too much. I may start tracking again, just so I feel better and don't get out of hand.

All, I would love some encouragement too. I am on day two. Many of the same challenges, and I am happy to offer encouragement too!

-Quinn

First off, welcome to the party!! I found myself tired and dragging days 3-5 big time, so stay strong!

I think I am eating too much. I was tracking on MyPlate and stopped on Day1 when I stopped tracking my weight. But I think I have been eating too much. I may start tracking again, just so I feel better and don't get out of hand.

I too think I'm eating too much, but don't want to really track because then that becomes my obsession. I was using the fat/protein combo to crush any sugar cravings, but don't want to consume too many calories as I feel my body has plenty of FAT to use up on its own. I was sticking as close as I could to eating only 3 meals, but now as we head into the second week....if not hungry should I skip a meal?? Any thoughts?

I too think I'm eating too much, but don't want to really track because then that becomes my obsession. I was using the fat/protein combo to crush any sugar cravings, but don't want to consume too many calories as I feel my body has plenty of FAT to use up on its own. I was sticking as close as I could to eating only 3 meals, but now as we head into the second week....if not hungry should I skip a meal?? Any thoughts?

Before the Whole30, I had done hHCG a couple of times (4 rounds, I think?) over two years, and had pretty much given up most everything the Whole30 requires, except stevia and dairy. So I think I started off the Whole30 ahead of lots of people. BUT, I had never stabilized during my rounds-- I would go off of phase2 and just gain and gain. This last time, I finally stabilized about 14lb up from my LDW, but the formula that kept me stabilized was about 80% of my daily caloric intake from fat, a LOT of water, and about 1 meal a day, anywhere between 11am and 2pm. With so much fat I was not hungry until the next day.

Oh, and two mugs of bulletproof coffee in the morning. Which I tweaked for me to include 1Tb butter, 1Tb coconut oil, and 1Tb of heavy cream, frothed with a frother I found at Goodwill.

So...all that said, I have also grown my Not-Give-A-Sh*t bone when I hit my 40s ;) and that really helps me, in how I interact with the rest of the world. Meaning, I don't CARE how other people eat, I don't care about how and when the rest of my family eats...I have to do what I have to do for ME, and if it's weird, so what.

When my son eats, I sit down with him, even if I am not consuming food. I have a glass of water, or coffee, or tea.

My point to all that long-windedness is, if you think you need to not eat a meal, then don't. If you're not hungry, don't eat. If it's "time to" sit down with the family for a meal, but you are full, sit with them-- but have a glass of water or sparkling water or tea or something. It's not the food that counts, it's the camaraderie and good feelings you get when communing with your loved ones :D

@Cassie, thank you. This is day three. I am feeling very foggy. Kinda like a flu bug, but starting to have moments of clarity and energy. I am doing Xfit 3x a week and walk/running 2x a week, so I just push through it so far. My biggest challenge actually has been finding drinks other than water. Tea, coffee, and club soda with lemon/lime juice has been my base. Having been a big energy drink addict, it has been hard. I am feeling better today.

How is everyone else doing?

I started mid-way through Friday; the 5th. I have been talking with a friend who has done it for months now...and I just decided to halt everything and start after breakfast! So...I am basically right there with you guys...one exception...I have been eating pretty much Paleo for the past six months...so the "hangover" period was not really bad...I don't have as many cravings now...and I had my first "using" dream (think white bread and peanut butter...lol) within the first few days. Yesterday was awesome; was not as hungry; and had way more energy to get through the day! I enjoy reading your posts...especially the parts about not tracking. For me...I have been tracking my food intake for years; and this is really giving me some freedom from that! love that part :) Happy Thursday!

and I had my first "using" dream (think white bread and peanut butter...lol) within the first few days.

I enjoy reading your posts...especially the parts about not tracking. For me...I have been tracking my food intake for years; and this is really giving me some freedom from that!

Using dreams :lol: I am a recovering alkie and nicotine user-- totally familiar with using dreams! I haven't had any food-related ones, yet, but I'm sure they'll happen.

Tracking-- I hadn't been. I was tracking before the Whole30 but I stopped, figuring that if no scale then no tracking, but I have gone back to it. Because I want to see what happens at the end of the month, and I have been eating more, during this, I think, and if all other things are equal when the month is over, I would be able to be sure that any weight loss changes are due to eliminating dairy, not because I was eating less. I certainly, also, don't want to GAIN because I might be eating more to make up for not eating dairy.

Am I making any sense? :lol:

Archived