Chewing gum, or suggested alternatives?

misc_tara

Of all the things that I thought I'd be missing, I'm somewhat surprised that minty sugar free chewing gum is at the top of the list. Prior to whole30 I had it 3-4 times a week, usually when I'd eaten something particularly garlicky or if I was going to the grocery store and was trying to avoid food temptations. 

Any suggestions on compliant replacements? Where I find myself really wanting it now is when I'm in situations like I was last night where I was at a concert and everyone else was drinking beer. As I sipped on my water I kept thinking if I had something minty to chew on this wouldn't be so bad. 

I'm open to homemade alternatives as well as ones for purchase.

• Administrators

Fennel seeds are quite refreshing and give you a distinct flavour which may kill cravings etc.  Chewing on mint leaves is also fairly enjoyable, you can grow a boatload of mint in a pot on a windowsill for super cheap.  Brushing your teeth post-meal works well too.  Other than that it's a matter of getting used to not using your mouth for comfort, really.  Constant chewing (like with gum, less so with a quick munch on a mint leaf/fennel seed) starts the digestive process and no food is coming; not good.

That mindless chewing is one of the habits from which the W30 intends to break you.  Chewing sends a signal to your brain that your digestive system is about to receive food.  When it chews but doesn't receive food it could induce cravings.  If you need something minty, you could try water infused with mint leaves, or a compliant tea or coffee?  

Best wishes to you

I thought about the mint leaves, I grow other herbs in my garden and have meaning to plant that. I wonder how transportable they are though?

I like the idea of the homemade breath spray! That would definitely be portable!

Thanks for the suggestions!

You could also infuse mint into your water to give it a little flavor. If you plant mint do it in a pot or it will take over your garden. I planted two starts and by the end of the summer had 3 foot plants covering a 3x3 plot of ground. 

• Administrators

You could also infuse mint into your water to give it a little flavor. If you plant mint do it in a pot or it will take over your garden. I planted two starts and by the end of the summer had 3 foot plants covering a 3x3 plot of ground. 

Yes, definitely a pot.  And definitely watch the plant because once it flowers, it'll drop seeds everywhere.  Pluck the flower heads off when they start to come in to avoid this and to keep your mint producing.

This was my HARDEST thing to give up! All along I thought it would be my coffee creamer, but thing I've missed most is my gum! I really was horribly addicted, I'd sometimes go through a pack a day. I also struggled a lot on days 5 - 12 with dry mouth so I really wished I could have gum. I was sure I was killing my coworkers with my dragon breath.

Here are a couple of things that have worked for me:

1. Chew on fresh ginger. I bought a little piece at the grocery store and minced it up into tiny pieces and carry it around in a Ziploc bag in my purse. I tried chewing mint leaves and parsley and didn't care for either, but ginger was a winner for me!

2. Drink mint herbal tea. I drink three or four cups a day; it's a great way to signal to my brain that eating time is over, plus it's caffeine free so I don't have to worry about getting wired when I have it in the evening.

3. Peppermint essential oil. There are many great brands out there. I use DoTerra but dang they are expensive ... there are many more affordable choices. Just make sure there's nothing fake added to it. I put a drop or two on the back of my tongue when I need a little breath freshening. It's potent so it lasts a long time.

Good luck to you!

• Administrators

This was my HARDEST thing to give up! All along I thought it would be my coffee creamer, but thing I've missed most is my gum! I really was horribly addicted, I'd sometimes go through a pack a day. I also struggled a lot on days 5 - 12 with dry mouth so I really wished I could have gum. I was sure I was killing my coworkers with my dragon breath.

Here are a couple of things that have worked for me:

1. Chew on fresh ginger. I bought a little piece at the grocery store and minced it up into tiny pieces and carry it around in a Ziploc bag in my purse. I tried chewing mint leaves and parsley and didn't care for either, but ginger was a winner for me!

2. Drink mint herbal tea. I drink three or four cups a day; it's a great way to signal to my brain that eating time is over, plus it's caffeine free so I don't have to worry about getting wired when I have it in the evening.

3. Peppermint essential oil. There are many great brands out there. I use DoTerra but dang they are expensive ... there are many more affordable choices. Just make sure there's nothing fake added to it. I put a drop or two on the back of my tongue when I need a little breath freshening. It's potent so it lasts a long time.

Good luck to you!

Curious if the dry-mouth you experienced was a result of quitting gum. Gum stimulates the digestive process, starting with saliva, so if you were repeatedly stimulating that process and then stopped all of the sudden, I wonder if your mouth was having to recalibrate!  I'm curious if other gum chewers experience this?

Curious if the dry-mouth you experienced was a result of quitting gum. Gum stimulates the digestive process, starting with saliva, so if you were repeatedly stimulating that process and then stopped all of the sudden, I wonder if your mouth was having to recalibrate! I'm curious if other gum chewers experience this?

I wondered this same thing! I chewed gum ALL the time. When I quit cold turkey I wondered if I'd somehow destroyed my natural ability to produce saliva!!! It was miserable. Seems to be getting better now but I felt retry gross those first several days!

The other thing I found when I researched the dry mouth was it could possibly have been a side effect of my dramatically reduced carb intake, especially since it occurred about the time I cut my fruit from two servings a day to one. I also rarely eat potatoes and prefer the green leafy veggies to the starchier ones, so my carbs were way down.

Archived