The crazy things people say

Jessica

Sometimes it's not what they say, it's the look.

A long-time dear friend of mine is a nurse, and severely overweight. The day after I completed my Whole30, I was telling her and another close mutual friend about it, why I did it (increase vegetables routinely, decrease mindless after dinner snacking in front of the TV), what it entailed, and that I lost 5 lbs and 4.2 inches.

She usually has a strong opinion on everything (especially when it's related to health) - all she could do was stare. 

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally have a contribution!

At a birthday potluck celebration at work, where the only thing I was eating was the fresh fruit.

Coworker #1 (to me): Why aren't you eating anything?

Coworker #2: Because she is on the caveman diet.  

Coworker #3: What's the caveman diet?

Coworker #2: It's like the caveman. They only eat one big meal once a day.

Uh, WHAT????  What's crazy is that I have NEVER used the words "caveman diet" to anyone at work!  I always say I am not eating processed foods!  If anyone asks more questions, then I explain Whole30 to them.   

*shakes head*

Conversation during dinner last night:

Hubby: What's this red thing?

Me: Tomatoes quartered, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, tossed with coconut oil and roasted in the oven.

Hubby: Hmm. It's really good but you know I don't like tomatoes.

Me: I know. Give it to me & I'll have it for breakfast.

Hubby: Oh, I ate it all. But this pasta is really good. Have we had this before?

Me: It's not pasta. I julienned zucchini and summer squash, seasoned it up and then sauteed it

Hubby: I hate zucchini.

Me: Ok, just give it to me and I'll have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Hubby: Oh, I ate it all.

Me: (Silently giving him a confused look)

Hubby: Why are you looking at me like that?

MANY people think that they can cancel out bad food by exercising... Yeah right.

That's what I used to think. I'd go out on 50+ mile bike rides and then devour a big dish of nachoes afterwards.

Hmm.

~~~~

Oh, man, I remember going to the gym with a couple of friends in college and all of us working out for an hour or so, and then going back to the dorm and eating PIZZA. And I was so frustrated that I kept gaining weight!

Oh! I need to add my own thing. When I first heard about Whole30 I ranted to my cousin and one of the things I said was "But it's not healthy to cut out entire food groups! That's the whole POINT of the food pyramid!"

That was the morning of the day that I was supposed to meet with my mom's friend about Whole30, and I was planning on going over there and politely telling her that it just wasn't for me. My cousin was so confused when I came home with a ton of vegetables and meat and fruit.

So many of these are familiar! I've had quite a few people insist there's not sugar in whatever they've prepared and in fact they've used store bought sauce for flavour, or milk as a binding ingredient. Major fail. Luckily for me (? probably just a perspective thing...) I'm not willing to put my health at risk to make someone feel better - family, friend, employer, whatever. Don't care. You're not the one who has to deal with the bloating and discomfort and potential rectal bleeds for a week after.

"Wow.  I never thought of that!"  

or  

"There's actually sugar in that?"  

or  

"What the h*** IS that?"  

These I hear so often now, when I get someone who insists that ingredients in whatever they've made are all compliant, to actually check labels with me.  My friends and acquaintances are getting an eye-opener!   :lol:

Okay, I don't want to flood the threat, but this literally just happened:

Coworker: I went to CVS last night to get some biotin and B12 and I also found a non-sugar coated gummy vitamin!

Me (thinking hmmmm): Oh yeah? That's cool; what brand?

Coworker: CVS brand, mimicking the One A Day vitamin.

I asked to see the bottle and the first two ingredients are glucose syrup & sucrose!  :lol: 

My officemate insists that she and her husband can't do a Whole30 because her husband has high cholesterol (they also have high BP, sleep apnea, and weight issues).  She then says she's switched to cooking with 100% margarine vs. butter because it has no cholesterol. *facepalm*

Throwing her a bone, but unable to completely bite my tongue I suggest she try coconut oil, which doesn't have any cholesterol either.  She says, "Oh we can't have that!  It's all saturated fat and that's the bad stuff!"

On the plus side, since we started Whole30, my parents have "come out of the closet" that they are eating paleo.  My mom has lost 20 lbs and is at her lowest weight in 20+years (with more to lose) and my dad has lost 25 lbs.  But then, they eat clean during the week and cheat a little on the weekends.  I suggested a Whole30 challenge to boost their awesome results and my mom wants to lose an additional 10 pounds in short order.  She said, "Oh, that's not sustainable.  Too restrictive!"  C'mon, mom!!!  So frustrating.

My doctor (who I do REALLY like) tried to tell me that hormones weren't affected by diet. *eyeroll* (I had some weird period stuff while on my Whole30, so I went to see her and she didn't bat an eye when I told her about the diet changes except to say that they weren't the culprit. She said only exercise levels have an effect on hormones. I... smiled politely.)

"I could never do that" is another one. But I've also heard that when I tell people I have to give myself injections on occasions to manage my bleeding disorder. I just say "of course you could, if your health depended on it. If I don't do this I'm going to end up with a very painful injury that will take a good while to clot and a really long time to heal. I'll be at increased risk of infection to the wound because it takes longer to heal over. If I don't do it myself, the other option is sitting around in the ER for hours waiting for someone to do it for me, and that is again putting me a higher risk of infection, and with the wound being on my (insert limb here), those plastic chairs really don't help with the pain". And everyone I've had that discussion with admits they would in fact suck it up and do it themselves. W30 is no different. We just do what we have to to be healthy.

My doctor (who I do REALLY like) tried to tell me that hormones weren't affected by diet. *eyeroll* (I had some weird period stuff while on my Whole30, so I went to see her and she didn't bat an eye when I told her about the diet changes except to say that they weren't the culprit. She said only exercise levels have an effect on hormones. I... smiled politely.)

~~

Whaa? I mean, insulin and estrogen are hormones that are clearly affected by food, and that's just common knowledge, right? 

Dialog with colleague:

- Nadia, I've made fantastic caramel bars, I'll bring some for you.

- Thanks Mel, so sweet of you, but save them for your family. I don't eat sweets.

- But they are homemade! They are good for you!

- No, thanks Mel, I guess they are just less bad rather than good.

- I'll show you a recipe, they are perfectly healthy!

Turned out to be a 3 step thing: put crackers, top with butter/sugar so it forms caramel layer, top with huge layer of chocolate.

They are so perfectly healthy that I might quit Whole30 and eat them for bf, lunch and dinner :)

They are soda cracker cookies and I used to make them all the time to take to potlucks because they were cheap, easy, and everyone loved them. They are by no definition whatsoever, not even a SAD definition, healthy.

Well, Vian, it comes from the person who exclaims "oh no, this is too healthy, you know I am not dieting or anything" when offered a granola bar by another co-worker. I just bite my tonge every time, but I really wanna know what is an unhealthy dish in her opinion. Probably steak. Red meat will kill us all.

The most common one is "So, you're on that caveman diet?" I used to clarify how this is different, but now I find it's easier to just smile and nod. It's like when an acquaintance asks "How are you?" They don't really want the full, accurate answer. They want to hear "I'm fine, and you?" If it's a close friend or family member, and they are genuinely interested in the Whole30, I'll share more information. But the casual questions get casual responses. 

In my 1.5 years of paleo eating, I've gotten some stupid comments. But I think the ones that make me the most frustrated is the deprivation ones. And I'm over here eating something SUPER delicious and filling and yummy and they still don't get it. 

Me to my sister-in-law, whose unhealthy weight concerns me (when she asked about my eating): I used to binge eat, but I don't feel the need to any more because I get satisfied with what I'm eating at mealtimes.

Her: My problem is portion control.

Me: When I was eating grains and sugar, It seemed like I always wanted more. Now I can feel when to stop and at the end of the meal I'm full.

Her: Yes, but my problem is portion control. 

Me: [sigh; change subject]

In January, I saw my doctor. She mentioned I had lost a few pounds (I discovered Paleo last year.) I said yes and explained how I had changed my eating habits. She said, "Well, you'll never be able to lose it with just diet and exercise" while handing me a brochure for lap band surgery.

I just had a check up - down nearly 30 more pounds & blood pressure is finally in normal range again.  No kudos from doc, just a reminder that they offer surgery (and will happily finance it for me too). 

Needless to say, *if* I need to see a doctor again, it won't be her!!!

Same doctor is extremely concerned my 2 year old doesn't drink milk. (Dot breastfed for 13 months and I just never gave her bovine juice.) She eats like I do - tons of fresh veggies plus meat and fats. She does eat more fruit than I do though.  Dot is off the chart in height and 75% in weight. Her iron levels are excellent and other blood work shows that she's solidly healthy and has no vitamin/mineral deficienes. But I'm depriving her of calcium. By not giving her milk. SMH!

Archived