The crazy things people say

Jessica

In January, I saw my doctor. She mentioned I had lost a few pounds (I discovered Paleo last year.) I said yes and explained how I had changed my eating habits. She said, "Well, you'll never be able to lose it with just diet and exercise" while handing me a brochure for lap band surgery.

I just had a check up - down nearly 30 more pounds & blood pressure is finally in normal range again.  No kudos from doc, just a reminder that they offer surgery (and will happily finance it for me too). 

Needless to say, *if* I need to see a doctor again, it won't be her!!!

Same doctor is extremely concerned my 2 year old doesn't drink milk. (Dot breastfed for 13 months and I just never gave her bovine juice.) She eats like I do - tons of fresh veggies plus meat and fats. She does eat more fruit than I do though.  Dot is off the chart in height and 75% in weight. Her iron levels are excellent and other blood work shows that she's solidly healthy and has no vitamin/mineral deficienes. But I'm depriving her of calcium. By not giving her milk. SMH!

Jesus Christ...

Great job, btw!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In January, I saw my doctor. She mentioned I had lost a few pounds (I discovered Paleo last year.) I said yes and explained how I had changed my eating habits. She said, "Well, you'll never be able to lose it with just diet and exercise" while handing me a brochure for lap band surgery.

I just had a check up - down nearly 30 more pounds & blood pressure is finally in normal range again.  No kudos from doc, just a reminder that they offer surgery (and will happily finance it for me too). 

Needless to say, *if* I need to see a doctor again, it won't be her!!!

Same doctor is extremely concerned my 2 year old doesn't drink milk. (Dot breastfed for 13 months and I just never gave her bovine juice.) She eats like I do - tons of fresh veggies plus meat and fats. She does eat more fruit than I do though.  Dot is off the chart in height and 75% in weight. Her iron levels are excellent and other blood work shows that she's solidly healthy and has no vitamin/mineral deficienes. But I'm depriving her of calcium. By not giving her milk. SMH!

Wow, that is off the charts.  What doctor pushes surgery (and a life-changing one at that) when the patient is having such success????  Good for you on the progress that you've made!  Impressive!

Coworker just came up to me. I'm eating half an avocado, mashed, with a bit of lime juice and salt added (it's super yum!).

Coworker: You know avocados are high in cholesterol, right?

(Avocados have no cholesterol, but I'm pretty sure she meant fat)

Me: Well, they have healthy fats. And there's a difference between good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.

Coworker: Really? Huh. I didn't know that!

We've had similar conversations before about eggs.  :lol:

My two favorites:

1 - "I could never do that."  I know, Whole30 is tough, but it's not an impossible task, and the reward is huge. People turn up their nose as if I'm doing something totally crazy. It's food. I don't get it. Instead of "I could/would never do that" how about a good old fashioned "good for you!"

2 - "You're not going to raise your kids this way, are you?" Let me preface this annoying tidbit I often hear with the fact that I don't have kids and I'm not pregnant!!! Yet people are already judging my future children's POTENTIAL diet. (Side note - yes I do plan to keep my kids on my same meal plan :rolleyes: , but it's not something I've put any significant thought into yet.) I don't walk around criticizing how people raise their kids, even if I disagree. Live and let live!

In a discussion on a weightlifting group on Facebook, in which I mentioned that I woke up this morning with a broken blood vessel in one eye, my second one in two weeks, some dude told me that Whole30 is a "dysfunctional and restrictive fad diet," that it's low-carb, "needlessly restrictive," filled with "energy-poor choices" that are "notorious for not being able to support a decent activity level," and -- wait for it! -- the possible cause of my recently-diagnosed hypothyroidism.

This is the kind of thing that makes me regret speaking to other people, as opposed to, say, breaking a chair over their heads.

Dialog of two co-workers:

Co-worker 1:- Do you want some of these? (Pack of something cracker like)

Before wedding cabbage dieter/co-worker2 - Are they healthy? 

Co-worker 1: Yes! They are low-fat and with fiber. Nadia probably screams NO. 

Me: Exactly.

Co-worker2: Well, they are low in calories and pack says they are healthy. (Grabs the pack). 

:rolleyes:

Or be calcium deficient if you don't have dairy.

When health professionals ask me if I do anything to compensate for not getting dairy from calcium (they want to hear I am taking supplements!) I say yes I eat meat, leafy veges, eggs, nuts and seeds which are all natural sources of calcium.... and just when they are about to suggest I need to take a supplement I shut them up by saying I get my calcium levels tested regularly and they are fine!

So the thing is, they test calcium levels via a blood test..... measuring how much calcium you have in your blood... so how can people not understand that if you eat animals you will get calcium from the blood in the meat!

And where do they think animals get their calcium from??? meat and veg!

Then you get the stupid people who say but yeah maybe all animals are calcium deficient and we just don't know it because we haven't tested for it.....  Really????

Me.... if that is the norm for animals then it cant be a deficiency it must be the standard......

Wow, that is off the charts.  What doctor pushes surgery (and a life-changing one at that) when the patient is having such success????  Good for you on the progress that you've made!  Impressive!

One that is probably getting a kick back from a company that develops lap bands.

Just had this conversation:

Her:  You really shouldn't eat so many eggs.  Or if you do, just have the whites.

Me:  Why?  All the nutrition is in the yolk.  That's the part that nourishes the embryo.  The white is basically amniotic fluid.

Her:  Ew!  That's gross!

Me:   Exactly.

Just got this one:

"Beer is healthy.  They say it's the best thing you can have if you're doing heavy training."

There's just nothing I can say to that.  Really.

The sad thing is, in Germany, that's the drink they hand out at the end of races. My hubby participated in a half-marathon while we were still there and at the finish line they had beers to give to everyone.

My favorite thing lately: "She may be in the military, but she's still a homemaker at heart."

...well, yeah. I'm not about to eat food that makes me LESS healthy. There's too much at stake for that! This person still hasn't found out that I make my own mayo yet...she might explode, between all the meds she's on (menopause, continual heartburn...she takes Nexium multiple times a day!) and the shock that someone does that anymore.

I can't be too mean, though, because she had me over for dinner last week and made me zucchini lasagna that was to die for. My hubby even ate it (2 servings!) and she thought it was better than her noodle-y kind. I guess it's a good thing that dairy isn't a problem...between my family and the friends I haven't seen until I just moved back to the area...I apparently wouldn't be able to eat! (What CAN you eat now that you're gluten free? Sigh...)

Conversation with coworker that just happened. Stuck at work another hour and having a "snack"

Hb egg, apple and almond butter. (No ready to go veggies today)

Cw: whatcha doing?

Me: eating an apple

Cw: no you're not

Me: you're right, I'm cutting my apple to eat it.

Cw: you brought a knife to work (picture" stepped in dog poo" horror)

Me: it's a paring knife

Cw: but it's a knife! You could get in trouble

Me: it's less than 3 inches long, it's ok. And (my mistake here :) ) it's not like I'm in the kill all things stage Said with a smile & joking tone, to a work friend

Cw: .....kill? What kind of diet is this? Are you going to stay home then?

Me: I wish I could. But no. It's figure if speech "B". it'll be ok.

Cw: what's that goop? (Pointing like a 3rd grader at my container if AB)

Me: *sigh*

:) happy Friday!

not yet...1157634_10201165360128088_2000642375_n.j

Had this chat with my mum over a forthcoming visit

Mum: so, we got your email, i'll try & do something without gluten then.

Me: ...or dairy

Mum: of course. You can still have a yogurt though?

Me: no, that's dairy. And sugar.

Mum (incredulous): what, even the low fat ones??

Me: sigh

Right. Because low-fat yogurt isn't also made with milk.........

Coworker: I know you ~can't~ eat that.

Me: I ~can~ eat anything I want. I am choosing not to eat it. No processed foods for me for at least 30 days.

Cw: yeah, I've done whole30 before.

Me: (sincerely interested) oh, how was it? I struggling with breakfast. I am sick of eggs and trying to find another option.

Cw: it was okay. I did it for 21 days or so. Mostly had greek yogurt or these almond muffin thingies for breakfast. It really wasn't that hard.

Me: (face palm)

Or be calcium deficient if you don't have dairy.

When health professionals ask me if I do anything to compensate for not getting dairy from calcium (they want to hear I am taking supplements!) I say yes I eat meat, leafy veges, eggs, nuts and seeds which are all natural sources of calcium.... and just when they are about to suggest I need to take a supplement I shut them up by saying I get my calcium levels tested regularly and they are fine!

So the thing is, they test calcium levels via a blood test..... measuring how much calcium you have in your blood... so how can people not understand that if you eat animals you will get calcium from the blood in the meat!

And where do they think animals get their calcium from??? meat and veg!

Then you get the stupid people who say but yeah maybe all animals are calcium deficient and we just don't know it because we haven't tested for it.....  Really????

Me.... if that is the norm for animals then it cant be a deficiency it must be the standard......

I handle the dairy/calcium pushers by pointing out that calcium is actually the chemical element which makes our bones brittle. Collagen is the protein that makes them flexible.

Enough said...

Conversation I just had (and damn this person for stressing me out while I was eating....)   Person passing by my desk at lunch: What is that?

Me: It's my lunch

P: but what is it?

Me: Chicken, green beans and sweet potato

P: What kind of lunch is that? That's dinner

Me: Well, it's food.

P: What kind of diet are you on again?

Me: It's not a diet it's a Whole Food Program

P: What is Whole Food?

Me: Real Food, nothing that comes in a box or is processed.

P: That's weird

Me: Whatever (you fat disgusting pig....yeah, you're diet must be really healthy....).

Agreed.  I have never felt the need to comment on others' food choices or personal habits.  Not me, not my business.  So why does everyone feel entitled to offer commentary on what I'm eating (or more typically, what I'm NOT eating)?  This is something I don't think I will ever understand.  Or maybe I'm just self-centered like that.  I really don't care what anyone else does..just what I do.  ;)  

I just find the whole concept of ANYONE commenting on my food, life choices or decisions ALWAYS just plain rude.
I do not, HAVE NOT, and WILL NOT ever feel the need to make a comment about a person's decisions - food or otherwise
What is it with people who don't have a "basic courtesy valve" in their mouth..there are plenty of them
I actually see it as more a case of them feeling attacked for what I have chosen to put on my plate - like it somehow reflects badly on them, therefore they feel the need to lash out with a statement that backs up their position.
If anything, it makes me more determined - I sit there silently losing weight, gaining control over my eating while they plunge headfirst into the abyss..enjoy the trip, peeps!!!

Archived