The crazy things people say

Jessica

Coworker in the pantry today as I'm mixing up my massive turkey salad with carrots, jicama, cabbage, pepper, and cashews: One of these days I'm going to find you in here with a giant bowl of ice cream

Yeah no you're not actually..

Same coworker at a bridal shower as she stuffs her face with canoli filled cake: ohh you're having pineapple that must be a real treat for you!

The irony is that later they were discussing another coworker who is donating a kidney. She asked said coworker if she'd lose weight then laughed and said if so, sign her up. 

Soooo you'd rather donate an organ than put down the canoli and eat healthy? Wow. And I'm the "crazy" one

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me on Skype to my mom: I tried cooking rutabaga this week. I roasted it with sweet potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. It was pretty good...

Her: It's okay, I forgive you.

Me:  :huh:

The only thing I can come up with is that, at least during the World Wars, people ate rutabagas as a food of last resort. She wasn't alive then, but maybe it's a prejudice she was handed down from her parents? Germans don't eat rutabagas for that one reason. She isn't German, but she did grow up underprivileged in the 50s (the house she grew up in didn't have indoor plumbing, even when she left for college...in the 1970s).

Who knows.

Yes.  Mrs Stick - this is true.  My Grandfather was taken away by the nazi's during WWII and was fed nothing but Turnips (Rutabaga) and beer for an entire year.  I have a very slight recollection of when he came to visit us in Canada that he refused to eat them.

From what I understand, the very poor in The Netherlands during this time were surviving off of tulip bulbs.  Because the Germans had taken everything else.

Two AARGH moments today related to crazy things in our culture at large.

(1) My employer wants us to help make our state a Blue Zone state, which supposedly means we rank as healthier. We're supposed to agree to "pledges" available online. Some of the actions are using smaller than 10-inch dinner plates (but then where will I fit my veggies), keeping a scale in a prominent place, putting snacks like pretzels into smaller portion-sized bags (yeah, I'd better do that with my pretzels), and dedicating the top shelf of my refrigerator to fruits and veggies (how about all of the shelves).

(2) a recipe contest through a local grocery store requires the recipe to use local ingredients, to "make half your grains whole grains," and "select lean proteins" a la the ChooseMyPlate.gov guidelines. Guess I won't be entering that one.  

I'm out of step with so much of what's considered healthy, yet oddly I'm healthier than I've ever been. :)

Do they specify what they consider to be "healthy fats"? I'm sure they mean icky vegetable oils but if they don't specify than go for it.

LOL x 2. When I read about healthy fats it's so often referring to canola oil. But they don't specify, so I could probably get away with using olive oil. I don't suppose they'd like it if I used lard. :)

LOL x 2. When I read about healthy fats it's so often referring to canola oil. But they don't specify, so I could probably get away with using olive oil. I don't suppose they'd like it if I used lard. :)

Gosh I would probably use lard for just that reason. Or bacon fat. Omnomnom! 

• 2 weeks later...

The "no carb" thing really drives me bonkers. It's like people just can't get their head around it, they need it to fit into a little box they already think they understand.

The W30 FB page can drive me nuts, too. Particularly when people say something like "I woke up today with a 104 degree fever, chills, and hacking cough. I think this 'diet' is making me sick and I should quit". Yes, it must be that. Eating healthy is making you deathly Ill, not the severe flu that's going around. *rolls eyes*

The W30 FB page can drive me nuts, too. Particularly when people say something like "I woke up today with a 104 degree fever, chills, and hacking cough. I think this 'diet' is making me sick and I should quit". Yes, it must be that. Eating healthy is making you deathly Ill, not the severe flu that's going around. *rolls eyes*

Sometimes, the FB page makes us a little crazy, too ;)  But, when you have a community of over 50K people, there are bound to be folks who are passionate about every topic we post.

• 5 weeks later...

Tuesday night, at a friend's house with several other friends for dinner.

V: Speaking of carbs, I made this terrific low carb dessert! It was gluten-free brownies on the bottom, with whipped cream and raspberries and chocolate sauce.

Me: I don't think it was low carb.

V: Oh, but it was! The brownies were gluten free!

Me: Gluten =/= carbs. 

V: Oh. But it was at least healthy because it was gluten free!

Me: *mental facepalm* *polite smile* *talk to someone else*

"I couldn't do what you do" (those who did know me 70+ pounds ago)

"What DO you eat?" (coworkers who see my great lunches daily)

"You have such willpower" (to do what?  eat right???)

"When are you going to be done with all of this?" (ummmm, hopefully I'm never going back!)

"I can't BELIEVE you're eating THAT!"  (I am soooo going to say this one someday to someone!)

"I only used a "little" (insert margerine, olivio, sugar, fake sugar, etc.)"   (my sweet mother in law who tries but doesn't understand)

Oh, I could go on and on, but I will say that leading by quiet example gets more people to stop saying some of these things!  =)

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, just had this reaction to a 'gluten free' thread on another forum (not food related)

So you decided to go Gluten-Free because  

you saw a dietician, doctor, physician or some sort of expert, explained your issues and were given this advice?The placebo effect and confirmation bias has made this gluten-free fad an amazing financial success.

I need to get my head around the next possible craze and start it soon. I should write a book on the New-Age Paleo, Gluten-Free, Organic, Fair Trade, Vegan, Atkins diet.

All kidding and cynicism aside, if it makes you feel better good on you. I personally don't eat quite a few foods because my stomach can't handle them. I have never been tested for any allergies, or conditions though. I should probably take my own advice. Personally, I would reccommend you continue on your normal diet and start cutting out the ones that consistently bother your stomach step by step.

It just peeves me that people making positive steps to control their own health are being told it's just a fad. Yeah, it's a fad that I don't want to have to go running to the bathroom a few times a week.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine

Friend - Well it's not healthy not to eat carbs.  Our bodies need carbs.

Me - Oh I couldn't agree with you more.  Definitely our bodies need carbs

Friend - but then why are you cutting them out if you feel that way

Me - Oh but I haven't cut them out.  I eat plenty of them. 

Friend - But you cut out pasta and bread - how can you be eating carbs?

Me - I eat sweet potato, beets, squashes, celery root, parsnips - these are all carbs.

Friend - no they are not - they're vegetables!

Me - Mental Facepalm - lets' just call them carby vegetables.

Archived