The crazy things people say

Jessica

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KIndergarten teacher:

"Thursday is healthy snack day. So we want your child to bring a vegetable. Like: a carrot, a tomato, a potato, or an egg."

I have now had a second person tell me that eggs are dairy. THEY'RE NOT MADE OUT OF MILK! Her friend is having random stomach pains and she was asking me about my gluten issues/telling me about the friend's doctor appointment. The doctor told the friend to cut out dairy to see if it helps and apparently the friend told the doctor that the only dairy she ate was eggs...doctor and my friend didn't realize that eggs=/= dairy. The sad thing is that my friend who told me all of this is a paleo eater...

My BF's best gal pal has similar issues with food that I do. She gets really upset and tells these stories about the annoying gluten-free person (I mean, sometimes people get righteous and annoying, I will agree) and says things like, "there's no point in living if I can't have bread or cheese."

Um......

Another gem: a very intelligent colleague of mine decided to go vegan nearly a year ago. She was talking about how her man got a bad cold and she says, "Yeah, well he's not the healthiest. He likes his eggs and red meat."

I tried to explain that those things aren't unhealthy, but she switched off because she is used to people questioning her veganism. Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to lunch for dumplings with my new boss and 5 others (we restructured but same people). I don't usually waste my time/money eating out as my own food is nicer so this was the first time I joined their weekly event. I ordered plain cooked Chinese broccoli (to share) everyone else had dumplings. After a while there was a collective gasp from the others as my boss reached for the broccoli. "We've never seen you eat a vegetable before" was the comment..... Hmmmm

• 4 weeks later...

Posted on our Corporate Wellness webpage at work:

"Making Healthy Protein Choices

1. Value variety. Most Americans get more than enough protein in their diet. The problem is that most of this protein comes from animal sources that are high in unhealthy saturated fat. Vary your diet by including healthier alternatives like beans, peas, and soy foods."

It goes on and on.  I called to complain about the false info, but of course the answer was "It came from an ACE website, it's a reputable source."

Mine is someone at work replied when I told them the eczema is gone from my hands due to this diet, they said "oh everyone has eczema this time of year in the winter."

How about - ummmmm no?  Eczema is so much more than just dry skin!!!

"I'm so glad I can feed you like a human again!"

~ My mother, about the gluten free buns/bread/cake mixes/spaghetti noodles that she got for my visit.

I didn't argue on this one. I'm not on a W30, and she freaked about when I first had to go gluten free after my W30. No, it's not what I *want* to eat, but I'm only going to be here a week and then moving to Asia. I'll do a W30 or at least eat mostly template when I'm there.

I was told recently "You're just going to have to train your body to eat that kind of stuff again" when talking about not being able to tolerate gluten anymore.  As much as I miss bread...no thanks!  I'd rather not be sick all the time!!!  :-)

Would they also suggest to a diabetic to eat sugar and just take a shot of insulin to counteract it? How about if you are allergic to peanuts, should you eat them anyway and just inject yourself with an EpiPen and take a ride to the emergency room? It seems to me that unless your reaction to food is dramatic people don't understand why you don't eat them. They don't see you the next day in the bathroom for hours or experience the migraine that you will have it you eat gluten. If they did they wouldn't push you to eat it. 

My wife convinced a young co-worker to do this plan too, and she is doing great on it.  No more IBS symptoms after just a few days.  Naturally, two other women were curious and my wife gave them printouts from the web site, and both came back on Friday and said, "yes we are going to do it."  Over the weekend, one of them even called my wife from Trader Joe's for advice on what to buy as she walked through the store.  My wife didn't hear from the other one over the weekend.

Fast forward to Monday morning.  My wife gets to work a few minutes early...she's standing there when the girl she didn't hear from comes strolling in eating one of those Greek yogurt cups with the little cup that you dump in and stir. My wife is like WTF, you can't eat that on Whole30!  The girl said, "Oh, I am not doing it.  I read the list of foods over the weekend.  I hate veggies and fruit and I can't see just eating a bunch of meat all the time."

WTF????

My grandparents lived to 93 & 97, I believe in large part because Grandma cooked from scratch at every meal. A meat. A vegetable. A salad. And usually potatoes. But if a potato is the worst thing in your diet, you're probably doing all right.

Some relatives (well-educated people who should understand science better than most) have embraced a hard-core, plant-only, no-oils, no-fats form of eating based on the work of some cardiologist. I keep getting their 'just watch this...' links about the evils of fats & meat. They boil a lot. And -- having always had slender builds -- they now look emaciated.

The vegan relatives bought me some non-stick pans "so you can cook without oil." Did they think I was deep-frying in Crisco every night?!

Seriously, I keep waiting for their hair to fall out and their skin to flake off...

So this *technically* isn't something someone said, but I think it fits here. Consider it as something I've said?

You know your parents have stopped eating well when your Whole30 way of eating is more like your pescitarian (only occasionally on the fish though) sister than your parents.

I cooked last night because my mom was at work and made chicken thighs (the marinade was orange juice and a spice mix), mashed baked sweet potatoes with butter, and roasted veggies (baby Bella mushrooms, parsnips, and carrots). She ate everything (and enjoyed it) except the parsnips (she seems to think that any of our less-common veggies, i.e. rutabaga, parsnips, turnips, etc., are gross or something...she refused to even TRY one...while hubby and I had been stealing them off the tray while waiting for her to get home...they were like candy). She loved them. We used a grand total of one baking tray, two bowls, and one pan. Not like it was that hard!

I also get a lot of hate from my vegan co-worker. When I ate my lunch, she looked at me like I was  killing bunnies and drinking the blood in front of little children or something. Like I was disgusting. (FYI, my lunch was a grass-fed steak, with veg and it was awesome.) 

Also, this comment was made yesterday (not by her, but by a 'friend'): 'You are going to gain so much weight, just you watch. You eat way to much fat. And giving up bread has got the be the craziest thing I ever heard' 

Archived