The crazy things people say

Jessica

<snip>

I was so worked up by that phone call. Mothers, man. They have a special button only they can push!

They know exactly where that button is because they INSTALLED it.  :)

(Dad's too.)

I'm loving this thread - just "found" it and have been reading off and on for a couple of days now...  I'm still new-ish, but am sure I'll have some contributions at some point...

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my boyfriend and I are pretty much paleo at home- I am far more strict about it than he is (cheese and creamer in his coffee are the big things he can't let go...and beer. he likes his beer.) Anyway, he brings his lunch to work, which is usually leftovers from whatever paleo meal we had the night before. 

I made a paleo Shepard's pie with mashed cauliflower on top. Apparently it was pretty fragrant when reheated- and people in his office complained. They sniffed around until they found his cubicle. "Oh, of course, it's Erik the foodie. What are you eating, broccoli? Ewww." (it wasn't broccoli at all, btw. I think they just don't know what real food smells like!)

He then proceeded to come home and look through all of our paleo cookbooks to find the most fragrantly annoying foods he could. :) 

In December, his work was doing a Secret Santa thing. He knew the girl who was his Secret Santa liked to eat- so he put a note on her desk saying she wasn't to bring lunch all week leading up to the "gift exchange day" and that she should leave a note with anything she couldn't have or didn't like. 

He then brought her a Paleo lunch every day that week. She was so excited at how delicious everything was, and told everyone that she had the BEST Secret Santa ever. And, of course, everyone was jealous and tried to find out who it was. (We even had to buy a different color set of tupperware so she wouldn't see Erik's lunch and figure it out... AND he made sure he didn't bring the same thing he brought for her each day...)

Well, when they finally revealed themselves, everyone knew it was my boyfriend "The foodie." He gave her all the recipes he made so she would have them for later. 

And half of the people in his department asked if they could borrow our cookbooks to try. At least one is now a convert. And a few of them have bought paleo cookbooks of their own.

My not-so-paleo boyfriend, converting people to paleo so subtly they don't even realize it. 

And his same co-workers call me "the girlfriend with the crazy diet...."    ;)

Oh.. and here's another one that happened to me today: 

My mom wants to have us over for Easter Dinner. I told her I was on that "detox" diet again (this is my Whole30 #2), so whatever we make can be really simple like steak or chicken on the grill, or burgers without the bun with salad. Which is pretty much what we usually make when visit because it's easy! 

I get a text today:

Mom: Can you have chicken and potatoes with the gluten free Progresso mushroom soup on your diet? 

Me: Nope... but I can cook a piece of chicken by itself and have a salad. (inset hyperlink to W30 program rules) This should help.

Mom: Call me after work

:) I'm pretty sure it's going to end up with something on the grill and a salad. 

I've had all the usual comments.

You're insane.

You're crazy.

ANOTHER diet? (I had a period of my life when I went on diet after diet, sang the praises of each one, and got sicker with each consecutive one)

Blah blah blah BREAD blah blah blah (which I actually get, because I am a sucker for a big hunk of fresh-from-the-bakery bread slathered in butter)

Blah blah blah PASTA blah blah blah (which I don't get, because pasta is just a vehicle for sauces and you can put those sauces on vegetables)

When can you eat normally again? This is normal. You're the one eating marketing experiments.

Every conceivable offer of soy-based products, fat-free condiments, artificial sweeteners, and/or dry toast and English muffins because I'm eating healthy.

The funniest ones come from my mom, who has become an admirable label-checker. It's really the look of incredulity that makes it funny, but she'll look up something online, come in from her office and in the most disgusted and shocked tone say, "You will not BELIEVE the number of foods with X in them! It's what they use to make yoga mats and flip flops and it's in all these different foods! I can't believe that we were so stupid as a society to let the FDA approve all this **** in our food without even batting an eye." Or, "These ingredients are BANNED in other countries. BANNED, and the FDA lets companies put it in food. No wonder we're all sick and fat."

That about sums it up, yeah.

My husband's coworker handed my then 2 year old a frosting covered strawberry 'cereal bar' full of artificial sweeteners without asking me and said 'don't worry, it's healthy'. 

My mother: You need to drink milk

Me: I'm lactose intolerant. Besides I don't drink coffee but the coffee you drink is stripping all the calcium and magnesium from your bones.

(a while later she's diagnosed with osteoperosis after a lifetime of eating piles of yogurt, milk and cheese)

Me: See, eating all that dairy doesn't help

Her: It runs in the family, you better start drinking milk.

recounting frustrating coop story to a newer coworker about how they never have lamb liver anymore and that I found out it is because they can only get 1.5 lbs per week (that's all the liver from the two lambs they break down and sell for meat) and somebody has been reserving the whole lot FOR A DOG! So I'm complaining that it is not fair and I should find that dog and negotiate for a 1/4 lb and he looks at me totally straight-faced and says:

"what's it for, your cat?"

I'll sell you some lamb liver....kidneys, spleen and heart too!

Me:  "No thanks, I can't eat wheat"  (which is kind of a lie.  It's more like I _don't_ want to eat wheat.)

Lady giving our free samples at the grocery store:  "Oh, I'm so sorry!"

I felt like saying "Don't be."  She was handing out samples of some pasta covered in a bottled cream sauce with mushrooms.  All I could think was "NASTY!"  There was no shortage of people taking the free sample.

Every time my parents come visit (they come quite a bit,) and they want to go do something (museum, dinner, anything,) my mom sadly says, "Oh, but you can't eat anything..." 

Seriously, it just enrages me. I don't need to eat to enjoy spending time with my family, or to enjoy an activity. I haven't made a thing out of Whole 30, other than telling them what I was doing (and why I wasn't drinking wine.) I haven't mocked their food choices, or told them what they eat is bad (it's isn't, and it works for them, just not for me,) or insisted we eat somewhere because of my Whole 30, and yet, the food I'm choosing to eat somehow ruins everyone's plans. ARGH it's so frustrating!!!

Favourite thing I've heard so far...'I was good at the pub last night, I could have had a burger, but I had lasagne instead'

the frustrating thing I hear is 'everything is good for you in moderation, even sausage and chips have nutrition'

Today I got the "Don't lose anymore weight or you'll be too skinny!" comment for the first time. I was at church and my pastor commented about how good I looked from losing so much weight, and I said "I'm still working on it, have another 30-40 lbs. to go" And he said "Oh no, then you'd be too skinny"

It upset me more than I thought it would. I'm 207 pounds. Even being pretty tall at 5'9" that's not an ideal weight. I feel uncomfortable in my body. I feel ungainly and awkward. I feel self conscious of my stomach sticking out. 160-170lbs is not "too skinny" for someone who's 5'9" While I don't put a whole lot of stock in BMI, that's still at the upper range of healthy for that height, and I'm not interested in looking like a runway model, but I would like to be fit and strong. I honestly don't care about the actual number, it's more about the way I look and perform at my life, but 200 pounds is simply overweight for a woman unless she's really tall and an athlete with a lot of muscle, of which I am neither.

I turned down peanut butter M&Ms that my husband brought me today after lunch. I 100% legitimately didn't want them. Granted, I was drinking a sparkling juice (no added sweeteners, just concentrated juices, sparkling water, ascorbic acid, and the ever-wonderful 'natural flavor' so probably not perfect in the nature of a W30 but I'm not on one).

That is all.

Today I got the "Don't lose anymore weight or you'll be too skinny!" comment for the first time. I was at church and my pastor commented about how good I looked from losing so much weight, and I said "I'm still working on it, have another 30-40 lbs. to go" And he said "Oh no, then you'd be too skinny"

It upset me more than I thought it would. I'm 207 pounds. Even being pretty tall at 5'9" that's not an ideal weight. I feel uncomfortable in my body. I feel ungainly and awkward. I feel self conscious of my stomach sticking out. 160-170lbs is not "too skinny" for someone who's 5'9" While I don't put a whole lot of stock in BMI, that's still at the upper range of healthy for that height, and I'm not interested in looking like a runway model, but I would like to be fit and strong. I honestly don't care about the actual number, it's more about the way I look and perform at my life, but 200 pounds is simply overweight for a woman unless she's really tall and an athlete with a lot of muscle, of which I am neither.

I'm so sorry about this.  Please try not to be upset.  I get it, though.  Last time we showed up at my in-law's house, my FIL said something to the effect that I was disappearing before their eyes.  I had no idea what to say.  Is that supposed to be a compliment, an insult, something else?  I think that when these statements are made, what it really comes down to is that the speakers are projecting their own insecurities onto us and/or internalizing our efforts to better ourselves and viewing them as condemnations of the speakers' own life choices.  There are other issues, as well, where people want to keep others in the little boxes where they've categorized them (i.e, heavy people, thin people, rich people, poor people, etc.) because they have certain ways of relating to and dealing with those categories.   

All that is to say that other people like to put their $&%^ onto others.  Does it stink?  Yes.  Should we perpetuate these issues?  Perhaps not, but I have to admit, my preferred method is to avoid getting into discussions about how much I've lost or how much I'd like to lose.  I keep that kind of detail to myself.  I think you're right to be focused on feeling strong and healthy, and maybe that's how you leave it when people ask you about your weight loss.  Just my 2 cents.

Mainly, I just wanted you to know that your post spoke to me.  I feel sad that you were made to feel bad or defensive about your choices.  I've read many of your posts and you're such a great contributor. 

Take care!

Alyson

Yesterday I had a friend tell me the way I was eating "wasn't sustainable" and I would "have" to splurge. We were going to a friend's birthday that night that was at an ice cream parlor...Apparently I was just going to "have to have" sugar.

I went later that afternoon and saw Fed Up! (documentary about sugar and our food industry). After seeing it I wanted to ask my friend if a diet without cocaine also "wasn't sustainable."

Apparently sugar is 5x more addictive than cocaine.

I've also had my mom tell me that she "protected" me from eating beets for 18 years and it was a shame I wasn't "protecting" myself now...She was just joking but still funny.

Honestly I don't give people that much information about what I'm doing. No explanations. I eat what I eat period. I'm trying to save my own life I don't care if I make converts. I just do it.

That cuts the comments down drastically. Even my daughter has quieted down. That's amazing.

Peg, I also just eat what I eat and leave the rest. No need to make a big deal out of what I or others eat.

I have been told to have a Diet Coke - "It has no sugar, you can have that!"

Hmm, it has no sugar but it is also just a chemical concoction. I honestly would not want to pour that down my insides. But I just politely say "No thanks, I'd prefer sparkling water if you have any."

My favorite, from a friend who asked me to come to his house to help him brainstorm marketing ideas for an upcoming project. It was the day before I started Whole30, and we were swapping what-are-you-up-to's, and I excitedly shared what I was about to do:

"I'm just waiting for the day that they come out and say all this Paleo and CrossFit stuff is unhealthy."

*facepalm*

Ahhh this drives me crazy! At Noodles and Co yesterday (I got a salad) my friend was like, "I'm getting the small sized mac and cheese, so it's much healthier so you can't judge me" (along with a side of flatbread, of which she ate it all ). And I said "pasta and cheese is still pasta and cheese, no matter how much you eat." And she replies, "everything in moderation! I'm counting my calories so it's ok!" (I think it added up to be about 900 calories, so that's kind of a lost cause).

I'm trying to convince my mother and also my boyfriend's mother to try a Whole30. My mom is actually considering doing one, though she is nervous to give up sugary treats.

My boyfriend's mom says she doesn't think she needs to do it because she eats healthy already (which, I'll be honest, she does, compared to most Americans). But I told her I thought it might help with her "self-diagnosed hypoglycemia", which causes her to be hungry every couple of hours, and if she doesn't find food NOW, she turns into a raging lunatic (she'll be a wonderful mother-in-law, ha). She said that nothing would help her because she already eats a lot of protein.

I said, "Well what about fat? Do you eat enough of it?"

She looked at me like I was clinically insane. "FAT??? Um, yeah, I don't think I need any more of that. I eat plenty."

Oh really? Your fat free yogurt and berries breakfast really fills you up? Ugh. I'll keep trying to get through to her.

went out with co-workers for a girls night during my whole30.  I prepared myself for temptation (I was only on day 3) by packing some strawberries since we were going to a movie.  As they all ate popcorn, someone looked over and noticed me eating a strawberry.  She inquired, so I explained very enthusiastic about my goals and program commitment.  Her response, "Oh no, I feel so bad that you have to eat strawberries".

My family thinks that it's funny to "tempt" me right now.  My sister just waved around her piece of strawberry rhubarb pie on FaceTime like it was a gold olympic medal.  Guess what!?  I feel good right now!  I don't want it!!!  Enjoy your sugar crash!  Ughhh!

Yeah, my hubby is just starting to understand that I *can* say no to sweets because I 100% really, truly don't want them. In the last week, I've turned down peanut butter M&Ms twice, Brookstone chocolates once, and actually didn't want them. I'm not on a W30, but my body seriously does not want sweets. Part of that might be that I bike to and from work twice a day (20 minutes to, 10 back - hooray hills!) and it's in the upper 70s here. We haven't turned our AC on yet, either, so the sweetest things I want are fruit and/or sparkling juice (100% juice + sparkling water, no added sugars).

Did anyone else get SUPER pissed when watching the Nightline clip on the W30 where the certified dietician or whoever she was said how unhealthy it was to cut out whole food groups like dairy or grains or legumes? I just wanted to scream at her - you don't think it's crazy for someone with lactose intolerance to cut out dairy, do you? So why is it that I can't cut it out to see if I am intolerant? Or to find out that I have Celiac's (which I did thanks to W30)? I will say, they did let Melissa say that you don't miss any nutrition on a W30...but I wish they could've shown the side-by-side day out of ISWF. You know, where it has the whole rundown of how you get MORE nutrition from W30 than the SAD?

Edited to add:

Vent time!

Dear person who joked with my boss about seeing me "walk my bike instead of riding it,"

I am recovering from my 2nd shoulder surgery in a year. I bike everywhere, everyday. That hill I walk my bike up? It SUCKS. It sucks to walk up, let alone push my 39 lb commuter bike up. So please, when you're driving your air-conditioned car up a hill that causes cars to bottom out on, think for a second about me working every day to get one inch closer to the top before having to walk. Or the fact that I arrive at work, every time, disgustingly sweaty and out of breath. My entire bike commute (15-20 minutes) is uphill, and that last segment is straight up. As in leaning forward while walking up it. It's terrifying to bike down, and I've already had to get my brakes inspected because I have to granny brake the whole way down to not die. Oh, and I've worked here for a month and a half.

My coworkers are supportive, they ask if I set any new records to get closer to the top. Even my boss has told me that one day he'll see me bike up the hill, and he is certainly not the nicest guy (a bit of a jerk, really). I downshift 6 times just to make it halfway up the hill. So thanks for not treating me like a person. I'm sorry I don't fit your definition of what I should look like or be able to do. No, wait, I'm not sorry. Screw you!

--Me

I know the rant isn't technically related, but I don't care. I'm seething today.

Archived