The crazy things people say

Jessica

yesterday at work, sitting in the staff room..

*colleague has finished lunch* 'oh I'm still hungry..'

me 'why don't you go and get some more food for lunch then?

colleague: I can't, I'm on a 500 today...

SMH...

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WholeStanley

greek grandmother (so feeding is in her genes!) = Do you want a sandwich?

me = no thanks nanny, I don't eat bread

g.g = but bread is the healthiest food in the world! (I'm not sure where she got that from!) Do you want a biscuit or a cake then?

me= no I'm fine really

g.g = oh my you don't eat anything!!

me = I had three poached eggs for breakfast

g.g. = stunned silence

Dinner at some people we know: I kindly declined the tomato soup that was ready-made from a can and of course got the question why. I shortly explained that I was doing a w30 for cheking some food sensitivities and help my digestion. So no pasta, additives and sugar. The answer: "but it's only tomato soup!" And pasta, additives, sugar, taste enhancer sh!t.... I just smiled and kept it all for myself.

Same dinner I got reactions that they would die without sugar...

Our oldest had a lot of digestive issues until end of last year when we started to suspect gluten (we only heard of paleo a week before I started my whole 30) We put him on a gluten-free diet and within 4 days the worst of the symptoms were gone, within 2 weeks all of them. We went to the doctor who ordered an antibody test that came back negative, so he ordered a DNA test, but he insistsed that our son had toddler diarrhea (one of his favorite foods is olives and anything drenched in olive oil and he doesn't get any sugar or juices....)

Dr: just give him bread in the meantime.

Us: but he gets diarrhea from it. (we just explained)

Dr: we don't know that for sure until the test results come back.

Us:....

Than he sent us to a dietist who says he should eat 4-5(!!!) slices of bread every day... Even before paleo we didn't even eat bread every day...

My mom and I were driving around. She wanted a Dairy Queen Blizzard, she's 78 and never had one. I said sure, and we drove to Dairy Queen. When we drove up I said. "Now I can't have one, I can't have dairy or sugar right now I'm doing an allergy testing thing and I have three more days." She sighed and said, "well is it working?" and gave me "the look." (the "are you losing weight" look) I said as cheerful as I could, "YES, just look at my skin and I don't hurt when I wake up in the morning." She paused and looked confused. --- we are never too old to learn that the size of our butt isn't the most important thing in the world..

• 2 weeks later...

A friend just posted this on their FB page:

Random stupidity overheard in the grocery store:

Random mom:pick a box of granola bars

Child pick a box

Random mom: no, not that one

Random grandmother: why not that one?

Random mom: that one has protein, she's too young for protein

Random child: my gym teacher said protein is good for strong muscles

Random mom: your gym teacher is stupid, you're a kid you don't need muscles get this one....

Gram just nodded as if this wack-a-doodle logic made sense...and watched the chocolate covered-bar-o-sugar get tossed in the cart.

I shared the article that's been everywhere lately about 'fat not being bad anymore' (like it ever was...) and had this response:

Work friend:  See you didn't need to do the Whole30 after all!

Me: Um Whole30 is all about the fat....

Work friend: Yeah good fat though, not saturated fat

Me: *Faceplam*

If he'd bothered to read the article it was not just vaguely about 'fat' but specifically about saturated fat not being linked to heart disease!

I am not on a whole30. Went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for egg foo young with the sauce on the side. They brought the egg foo young and then the chicken and veggies in the sauce on the side. I told the waiter that I can't eat the sauce and wanted the sauce on the side he said "I can wash it off for you" and people wonder why I don't eat out!

My teenage daughter last night after dinner-

"I really don't think those cave people had salt. You are totally cheating".

I have done something wrong here if my child thinks salt is a non-natural substance. I pointed out that we have a couple or ten oceans of the stuff and she had the sense to feel ashamed. Also, what's with this cave people stuff? I never said anything about neanderthal cuisine. Yeesh.

Guest Andria

My SO: My stomach hurts (says for the 15 millionth time)

Typical *daily* snacks for my SO: Soda, beer, pretzels, Doritos, ice cream, protein bars and who-knows what for lunch 

Me: Maybe you should do a Whole30 (says for the 15 millionth time) 

My SO: Do you really think it's my diet?

Me: *facepalm*

DH and I are 30, but we lead a college aged group at church.

When we started the year, DH had about 50 lbs to lose (per his doctor's request... and I know, I know, it's just a number) and I had about 70 to lose.  We are both doing really well with our whole food/real food lifestyle changes and have each lost more than 30 lbs.  However, we don't really talk about this - it's just been our private thing.

Last week, a lot of people seemed to be taking notice of our weight loss.  We thanked them for the compliments and went on with our discussion, but the kids proceeded to try and make recommendations for us - we should try biking, have we thought about joining a gym, why have we cut this out, etc. etc.

We just let them talk.

When we were in college, we were skinny minis, too.  We ate take out and pizza and all kinds of junk food, sodas all day every day...  and we thought we were healthy because we weren't overweight, too.  What we have learned is that the S.A.D. catches up with you eventually, and that just because you are thin doesn't mean you are healthy...

We are healthier now, still being overweight, than we have been in years.  DH and I just smile and, after the kids have left, we say to each other that you can't argue with our results... and we are doing just fine.

Yeah, the weight loss discussion is somewhat maddening. I was out with several friends, all of whom are WAY smaller than me. 3 of the 4 are half-Korean, and the other one is an ex-track athlete who has no visible body fat at all. I'm not kidding - she's got broad shoulders, narrow hips, and muscles everywhere. I wear a flirty a-line dress, since I do have hips and I do have some padding (not bad, just saying that I've got a curvier hourglass, size 8 usually in women's pants) so it can cover the fact that I do have some extra. The girls all are talking about how fat they look in their skin tight dresses, how I'm so lucky that I'm so skinny. I was seriously confused...say what? Maybe it's just that, out of all of them, I was the only one with confidence or comfortable in my own body? I looked hot in that dress, and I knew it. Hahaha.

Then again, I realized that even semi-cleaning my diet up has had huge impacts in how my clothes fit in the last two weeks. The shorts that were tight are now fitting how they should. I didn't even go 100% template eating, just cut out all grains and added sugar for two weeks. I eat beans so little that they weren't in my diet anyways. I'd estimate I lost at least an inch or two, but I didn't measure before. Hubby still doesn't believe that I had anything to lose, but I know how things fit before and after.

So whenever people tell me how healthy eating grains is, I just smile and stop listening. I do best without them. Yes, I still get carbs. My sweet potatoes, plaintains, white potatoes (not my favorite, but the market has only had SP that are already rotten! :angry: ), and plenty of seasonal fruit like the lovely cherries I had this week. Mmm. More than enough for me!

So why not 365 days out of the year?

This is a tricky question. I'm someone who eats pretty darn close to the whole30 every single day, but I am not "on" a whole30. It took a while, but basically, I had to get to the point where I make my own decisions. I own them. I can't say: I don't eat that because Dallas and Melissa say I shouldn't. I say: I don't eat that because I don't want to (because I know it makes me feel like crap afterwards). This was an important distinction for me. Doing a true whole30 requires careful vigilance about minute quantities of ingredients that can feel a little out of balance. Now that I'm post-whole30, I'm willing to continue to be careful and read labels and avoid soy like the plague, for example, but I give a tiny spec of sugar a pass because I know my body can handle that quantity. I give baby red potatoes a pass when they appear on my plate at a restaurant. The way I'm eating just feels more natural and sustainable that way.

Now, you may find post whole30 that you don't want to reintroduce anything ever. But even if you don't, you are now doing meadowlilly's plan, which just so happens to be exactly the same as the whole30. It's your choice, and you can continue to make that choice for as long as you want.

Or another perspective, which I've seen play out on the boards: sometimes when people don't take these choices on as their own, they may do a whole30 or a whole60 or a whole100 or whatever and then once it is "done" the rebel takes over and they go right back to SAD. Not being "on" something means I'm never "done" I just make choices one by one as they present themselves, using my whole30 experiences to guide me.

I think a whole30 helps most people (but not everyone... There are some genuine situations it can aggravate) but it is not magic and for many people it is part of the answer but not the complete answer. Hence the whole9 philosophy of what else to do to improve your health.

"My reply: it's not a whole 365 it's just to find sensitivities"...   I'm read this before and I'm not sure what this means.

Why isn't it a Whole 365?  I'm unclear about this.   Because my book says this....

Whole30 program has quietly led tens of thousands of people to weight loss, improved quality of life and a healthier relationship with food – accompanied by stunning improvements in sleep, energy levels, mood and self-esteem. More significantly, many people have reported the “magical” elimination of a variety of symptoms, diseases and conditions – in just 30 days.

diabetes 
· high cholesterol 
· high blood pressure 
· obesity 
· acne 
· eczema 
· psoriasis 
· hives asthma 
· allergies
· sinus infections 
· migraines 
· acid reflux 
· celiac disease
 · Crohn’s 
· IBS bipolar disorder 
· depression 
· seasonal affective disorder · eating disorders · ADHD endometriosis 
· PCOS 
· infertility 
· arthritis 
· Lyme disease 
· hypothyroidism 
· fibromyalgia

So why not 365 days out of the year?

I only said that because I don't like having a fight with people in my family who are anything BUT supportive. They find my eating this way to be a hassle, and a disturbance to the peace and ease of someone making dinner. I'm going to do my reintros and try to stick as close to eating this way as possible, but give myself a little leeway when it comes to going out to dinner or going to a family party. I find that I have more of a voice when I eat this way, and I would like to see where that goes, with being happier and healthier. 

My mum is contemplating doing a whole30 in August. Yesterday she called me.

Mum: How do I get enough vitamin B if I don't eat bread???

Me: Who eats bread in nature? Only humans eat bread. Monkeys don't need bread. Bread is a highly processed food, with the B-vitamins usually added back in to compensate for that. We survived without bread for thousands of years. Just eat whole foods and you will be fine.

Sigh. People really have a hard time letting go of grains.

Archived