The crazy things people say

Jessica

Guest WholeStanley

My nanny: "but sugar makes you strong!"  ummmm say what?!

My Personal Trainer: after congratulating me for making great progress over the last two months, and I showed him my lunch of home made prawn curry "are you going to eat all that? you know you're a woman right? you should be eating half of that" and then later "The 5-2 diet is the healthiest way to lose weight, I've recommended it to all my clients"  :huh:

*5-2 diet means you eat under 500 calories 2 days a week, and then what ever you want the rest of the time.

I think i'm gonna have to get a new personal trainer :( ...i think i'll keep the nan though!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WholeStanley

I don't doubt that it help people lose weight, I just don't think it's sustainable. Spending two days of my week counting out calories and being hungry is no way to live. Plus a lot of people I know who did it eat absolute junk on the other five days,many diet that just cars about calorie counting and not the quality of food is doing you no favours in terms of health.

I tried the intermittent fasting as it is touted here in the UK.

I'm quite used to going without food but the knowledge I could eat what I wanted the next day made me want things I've never really eaten...I remember I had waffles and syrup for breakfast. I've never had waffles or syrup for breakfast in my life!

It was too much like a freakish roundabout for me ;)

"Oh no, you can eat quinoa - it's not a true grain!"

Ummm, no. Thanks for helping but no.

It's been said but I get "so what CAN you eat?" a lot. Plus I love when people are feeling bad for my "restrictive diet" - don't get me wrong, I would love an easier way to get compliant bacon, but I don't seem to be conveying the pure decadence of what I'm eating! I had a pile of carnitas covered in guac tonight - sooo good!!

• 3 weeks later...

After I had been Paleo for several months, my friend asked, "Are you still watching your weight?"

I'm 5'6", female and my starting weight was 222lbs a year ago and I've lost 45lbs prior to starting my W30. Same friend has twice reminded me that it's possible to lose too much weight. The first time she said it I was 191lbs (dangerously skinny!) and then again when I was 179lbs (really dangerously skinny!). She's about 5'4", weighs maybe 110 (maybe!) and says she's been at the same weight since she was 14 yrs old, except while pregnant.

Would it be appropriate for me to say, "Shut the F up, you skinny biotch?" :rolleyes: LOL - seriously, I would never ever say such a thing and she really is a dear friend, but SERIOUSLY???  Cluelessness....

"I could never give up bread/cakes/protein shakes/add any non-compliant food here" - Pretty much anyone.
Yes, you could. You might not want to though.

"I should not have told you what was in the stew, then you would have eaten it" - My mom after I said no thanks to a beef stew with red wine and non-compliant broth in it.
No I wouldn't.

"Why are you still trying to lose weight, you're already married?" - A co-worker of mine.
I wasn't trying to lose weight before the wedding, I'm not trying to lose weight now and seriously, WTF?!

"Sorry you couldn't join in on our coffee break, but there is only cupcakes and cinnamon buns, no carrots" - Another co-worker.
Well, I can still join the coffee break and enjoy my tea and the company (of other, nicer, co-workers). No cupcakes or carrots needed.

I also managed to upset a friend of mine when she first asked me if I wanted to join a wine-and-cheese-party and shortly thereafter if I wanted to hang out and have some wine and chat. I said that I gladly join both the party and the hangout, but that I'd pass on the food and wine (just so she would know she wouldn't have to get any for me). She sourly told me "Well, just forget about it then" and when I asked her why she was so upset she said that it made her sad/angry when I said no to every suggestion she had made. I still really don't understand the problem, I just said no to the food, not the company (which I thought I made clear I was really looking forward to).

a conversation between some coworkers today that goes like this:

"I can't eat gluten (she has a sensitivity) but I still eat junk food... it makes me feel sick"  -- well uh, if it makes you feel sick, why do you eat it?

(when someone mentioned not eating carbs - meaning breads -  today) "I don't know what planet you're on, but that's just not possible for me"

"I don't eat (red) meat so I don't feel bad eating carbs" - another coworker's respone to this was "oh yeah that balances out" -- yeah, totally balances out. :wacko:

"I would die if I couldn't eat cheese, I love cheese"  -- acutally I'm quite certain you would not die.

I'm just keep my head down and rolling my eyes. lol

Colleague, eating some kind of cheese-flavoured snack 'I can't stop eating these. I can't even taste them any more. I just can't stop eating them.'

Another colleague bragged about the fact that the tub of soup he had for lunch had only 210 calories in it. I didn't tell him that in my opinion, 200-ish cals of veggies is a great side-dish and he just needs to add some fat and protein and he'll be set!

Both thin men, for the record!

From a coworker who was sitting across from me drinking a Diet Coke and eating a teriyaki bowl that was 3/4 white rice and 1/4 tofu drenched in sugary teriyaki sauce, while I drank water and ate grilled steak and sautéed veggies:

"You're lucky you're so naturally fit. I could be as skinny as you if I didn't have to work for it."

(Hint: Everyone has to work for it!)

"Fried cheese makes everything better" - I'm very ashamed to admit that I said this myself, probably more than once.  I would turn to food to get me through stressful times at work, which honestly were probably caused (and made worse) by food I was eating in the first place.  I cannot believe the kinds of absolute crap I used to put in my body and call them food.  Fried mozzarella sticks, sadly, are on a very long list of the food I used to eat.

Before the Whole30, I used to whine "why me" - why am I overweight, why do I have high blood pressure at such a young age (I was under 30 when I started taking BP meds - as a cure for migraines), why am I uncomfortable in my own body, WHY AM I DIABETIC, (diagnosed with type 2 at 25 years old), blah, whine, blah, WHY ME ?  Not realizing that so many of the foods I thought were "healthy" were just wreaking havoc on my system. I haven't completely kicked Diabetes to the curb, YET.  BUT - After just 40 days of clean eating, I can see that I will be able to reduce my meds soon.  I'm experiencing lower blood sugars toward lunch time and bed time since I'm not eating bread, rice, noodles, etc, just veggies with their natural carbs.  The only item I've reintroduced so far is corn.  And that's not going to stay a regular part of my life.  And popcorn is a "food-without-brakes" for me, sadly.  Even popped in coconut oil with no butter or salt - I could eat my body weight in popcorn easily.  But now that I've done the Whole30, I won't blame the itchy spots on wrist & eyelid on my wristwatch or on eyeshadow - thought I was allergic to the metal, but wasn't wearing it when this patch appeared, and it didn't happen until after I tried to reintroduce corn - and haven't used any new/different makeup in the last few months.

My weight loss isn't significant (less than 10 lbs) but I am very pleased that the scale moved at all, and especially in the right direction.  And as a note to those paying attention or taking notes - it's moved more in the last 10 days since I "finished" my Whole30, than it did between day 1 and day 30.  My Whole30 is going to become more of a Whole365 really.  I don't see much that I used to eat, that I actually miss in my daily life. I learned my lesson with corn! 

Oh and here's another Crazy thing that my Mom said this weekend.  She knows how I've been eating (and my sister too, for much longer). I got the "well, what CAN you eat?" when I turned down a pre-packaged marinated pork shoulder. The pork chops she grilled with just salt & pepper turned out to be quite delicious!  The really amazing comment was regarding going to a potluck BBQ for my brother's 40th birthday.  She said "oh there will be plenty there that you can eat."  I cannot think of a single person who doesn't slap Worcestershire or BBQ sauce, or Johnny's seasoned salt on their meat before they grill, especially burgers.  And don't even get me started on macaroni salad, fruit salad swimming in whipped cream, baked beans, etc. !  Thanks Mom, I'll just bring my own food, and hope someone asks me why, so I can tell them about the Whole30.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Actual conversation between myself and two of my close girlfriends.

Girl 1: My doctor is making me give up diet sodas. She thinks they may be linked to my migraines.

Me: totally worth it - you are basically drinking a can of chemicals and there are a zillion studies that show how bad they are for you.

Girl 1: yeah, and I read an article linking diet soda to Alzheimer's.

Girl 2: I'd rather get Alzheimer's than give up my diet soda.

Girl 1: I'm going to switch the diet soda for crystal lite. That's healthier

(I just stopped participating in the conversation)

Archived