The crazy things people say

Jessica

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a friend of mine...she's basically very overweight, and has had issues with her skin her whole life, had such terrible periods that she had to get a uteral ablation and still had to take iron for her anemia...eczema so bad that she takes 3 showers a day (or maybe because of it? yeah...)...migraines...a bit of a mess, but I love her.

She came up as being pre-diabetic, so she's now on a low-carb grain free diet...but she's still guzzling her diet Cokes! *sigh*

This one is from work after telling co-workers that I was following Whole30:

"We're catering lunch; well, except for you because it won't be one of your 30 foods."

I think it's funny that there is a perception that the 30 means a finite number of allowed foods.

Actual conversation between myself and two of my close girlfriends.

Girl 1: My doctor is making me give up diet sodas. She thinks they may be linked to my migraines.

Me: totally worth it - you are basically drinking a can of chemicals and there are a zillion studies that show how bad they are for you.

Girl 1: yeah, and I read an article linking diet soda to Alzheimer's.

Girl 2: I'd rather get Alzheimer's than give up my diet soda.

Girl 1: I'm going to switch the diet soda for crystal lite. That's healthier

(I just stopped participating in the conversation)

**Emphasis added**

But it's probably the artificial sweeteners that are contributing/causing her migraines, and crystal light has the same artificial sweeteners in it as diet soda...I used to get headaches from splenda and aspartame (though I had to consume a lot more aspartame to get a headache, which I think is odd)

My friend likes to joke and say that all I eat is kale. "You can't have that, it's not made of kale." He also calls me a hippie a lot. Just because I go to the farmer's market every saturday, make my own deoderant and toothpaste, doesn't mean I'm a hippie...Ok, maybe a little...

• 2 weeks later...

Mom and sister in chorus: "You're not having wine?? YOU are not having WINE???"

I guess we know one reason why I need to be doing a Whole30..... ;)

Hahaha - The first thing my sister said to me... "Wait, you're not drinking??  For 30 DAYS??  That's the worst thing I've ever heard".  We had this conversation on a Monday morning no less when she was already counting down her days to the weekend where she can 'cheat'.  She is respectful of my food choices and gives me a lot of credit which is why I love her so much.  Still it's funny how different yet similar we are...she's actually my motivation to make better healthier choices.  She says the only way she couldn't drink for that long was if she was pregnant.  Crazy what people will do for someone else but not themselves  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

The two that really get under my skin are:

"You're following a fad diet." 

or 

"You're orthorexic"

Apparently, those are your only two options when you're filling your plate (and your belly) with meat, poultry, eggs, vegetables, fruits, and nuts - you know, the kind of stuff that humans are suited to eat. :rolleyes:

My boss: "Why in earth are you eating Paleo?" While giving me "you have an eating disorder" eyes.

This despite the fact I sit next to her, she knows I'm gluten intolerant, and she sees me eating my lunch nearly every single day and didn't realise it was paleo until I mentioned going to a paleo café...

You know, I've always said that the secret to looking young is a little bit of pudge. I'm willing to roll the dice though...

I have a family reunion next summer.   A relative asked me if I'll be showing off..not eating what they do.   Really?  Really?   

I have relatives who prefer it when everyone is eating unhealthy foods. It enables their habits.

We had a party where the color of the cream inside a cake would tell everybody is the hosts were expecting a baby boy (blue) or baby girl (pink). The answer was girl... we were very happy for them (although we could see that the guy was secretly still wishing it was blue).

I was happy sipping my tea, when the mom-to-be's mother offered me a piece of  thecake, which I kindly declined. She persisted, I persisted politely. And then she said: you cannot refuse the cake, this party is about the cake....

:-) Funny, I thought it was celebrating a new life. Didn't need cake for that!

• 4 weeks later...

Went home for a bit a while ago and got this from my mom: "Oh, but you don't eat bread anymore..." several times.

I didn't think it was annoying, but I found it pretty funny, actually. Then I explained again that this was for 30 days and I might have bread occasionally afterwards, but that I wanted it to be good bread, like bakery-fresh-from-Italy or something and not the sad, flat little slices from the store. She seemed to understand that better. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is making laugh, but it also makes me want to cry about our society's screwed up notions of what "healthy" is. :(

I thanked my 9-year-old for never "rubbing it in" when she eats something non-compliant (after someone told me her daughter teased her about an ice cream sundae, saying "ha ha, you can't have any!") and now my daughter sweetly pats me on the back each time she eats a treat and says, "Sorry, mom." LOL  Not sure which is worse at this point!

• 1 month later...

So many things...but here are some more recent things I've gotten:

Friend (while at her Christmas party)'s response to me not wanting the sweets: "Well...you deserve to treat yourself once in a while!"

Me: "Yea, I could make the choice to eat them, but then my face will break out"

Friend: "Your diet is no fun"

People tend to throw that at me a lot, that I don't get to have any fun or that the food I'm eating doesn't sound like fun

Or the general one I've gotten from multiple people - "What? But *insert non compliant food* is good for you! I've eaten it my whole life and never had any issues." I don't bother arguing, I try to take the stance of doing it for myself and my health, otherwise people dig their heels in

"How do you get calcium? Aren't you worried about your bones?"

"We've advanced as a society so now we can harness more foods through agriculture and new technology. Don't you think our ancestors would have eaten these foods if they'd had access?" - friend referring to grains and dairy

Oh, holiday meals with relatives ...

"I don't think we need to have a vegetable today, because we're having one tomorrow."

Heaven forbid you eat vegetables two days in a row. And the next day's "vegetable" was green bean casserole. 

"I wouldn't trust a turkey raised on some farm. Factories are able to keep meat in ideal conditions, so it's safer."

Yup, "factories" are known for their ideal conditions. Whereas, raising poultry on farms ... who does that?

I am going gluten free also.  I found that if you work the dough for a long time before cooking it, it's then gluten free.  - My best friend's sister

If I had to give up dairy I would die.  - My mother

I have read studies that organic food is really not healthy for you.  - My mother

I am going to do portions of the whole30, but not all of it.  (I'm thinking, so that means you will eat food?) - My brother

I just shake my head and smile.

Archived