The crazy things people say

Jessica

Mother in law 'I'll be happy if you just eat pasta bread 2 times a week'

(Can tell she is not happy with our Paleo lifestyle)

I said' it makes me sore if I eat that' mother in law ' maybe because your not used to it anymore'

I said 'maybe it's because my gut is healed and I'm just wrecking havoc on it again when eating grains'

......end of story.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this thread!!

P.s I've been told to eat a little more carbs fruit and sweet potato to look fuller in the face true story from marks daily Apple. Anyone that has problems with gaunt faces like myself try eating 2x fruit a day and sweet potato.

My husband's boss is a militant veg*n. She basically makes everyone who works for her watch "Forks Over Knives" - she obviously *can't* make them but she, well, highly recommends it.

I got mad when I saw the DVD on my husband's nightstand on Friday. We're watching it now...so far I've had to laugh several times:

- "eating cholesterol makes your blood cholesterol rise!" Riiiiiiiiiight...

- "aflatoxin exposure when mixed with a casein-rich diet in rats causes liver cancer!" Wait, so you're telling me that I should use peanuts for my protein in this whole movie...but peanuts are one of the most easily-contaminated foods.

- "people living in Kenya in the 1970s have lower rates of cancer than in the US in the same period!" Um...did you control for ANYTHING else? Say, genetic differences, or the fact that in the US we had a longer life expectancy?

- "during WWII when the Norweigans were forced to eat a plant-based diet their rates of heart disease plummeted!" Wait...it was during the world war...when the men who were able to fight were fighting and dying of that, not of natural causes?

The whole point of this is that they aren't separating the different types of foods. The experiments they're using to link protein to cancer uses casein protein, not a whole food version. Nor are they separating the idea of meat being the issue vs. dairy being the issue vs. processed food being the issue. They keep lumping "meat and processed food" in the same breath EVERY TIME.

And now this guy is trying to say that there's enough protein in a serving of rice to keep people healthy.

At least hubby is laughing right along with me. I've got a good one. :)

I'm shocked by some of the facebook posts on the Whole30 page. Before committing to a diet, wouldn't you want to read all about it?

Someone on the diet posted, "I can have natural peanut butter and rice cakes, right?"

some people live on Facebook, it's their sole source of information and think it is all true...

I have an acquaintance who asked me about my workout and diet and what I do to stay in shape. I went into great detail about my workouts, said a few things about the Whole 30 and the magic of being careful about what I eat, but didn't get too heavy, because people judge. They went on to tell me about how they are "GF" so they are basically Whole 30 too..... So now I get to hear these sort of gems every time I see them.

"Why won't you eat that? It's Gluten Free, so you can have that."

"That place has the best Naan bread, we should go"

"I only eat GF"

I haven't had to deal with too many (or any) crazy things. But reading through this forum, it occurred to me that TMI may sometimes be your best response.

For example: "If I eat that, my poo turns green and syrupy."

Let them respond to that!  :D

I haven't had to deal with too many (or any) crazy things. But reading through this forum, it occurred to me that TMI may sometimes be your best response.

For example: "If I eat that, my poo turns green and syrupy."

Let them respond to that!  :D

Ooh, and for extra crazy points, add: "I have pictures here, want to see?" -- and reach for your phone. Betcha they sidle away and never bother you again.

(Yeah, I'm a five year old.)

My SisterFriend told me that eating this way was going to box my kidneys because without grains I wouldn't be getting enough carbs.

I think she's really just sore because we cut our weekly Mexican dinners when I started this.  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Father in law was looking at some FB photos of his aunties in Italy, sees a picture of his two aunties over 90 yrs of age in front of the pizza oven. He sys 'see no Paleo for them they are in front of the pizza oven everyday, they are both over 90'. U by proceeds to stay quiet. He then says 'they both have to inject themselves with insulin each day but they are over 90.....'

Oh my gosh

Shoot me please.

Yesterday I had a friend over for Easter dinner with my husband and I. She brought the ingredients to make a fruit and yogurt parfait (I'm not on a Whole 30 and cultured dairy works for me). She assembled this beautiful parfait out of vanilla yogurt, fresh straw/rasp/blueberries, and granola. Hubby looks at it and says "I think it needs some honey to make it sweet."

My jaw about hit the floor - the yogurt was sweetened, the granola was sweetened, and the fresh berries would be sweet naturally! Why would it need to be more sweet? I said as lovingly as I could that I'm sure it would be perfect how it was, only to have my friend (very SAD diet trying to be "healthy") ask if we had any honey.

I avoided said honey as much as possible and it was perfect without it. Thanks, hubster!

"But you're so skinny! You don't need to go on a diet!!"

This made me very uncomfortable in the beginning, but those who cared enough to ask good questions quickly changed their tune. 

"So how's your 'dinosaur diet' going?!"

I guess Whole30 = paleo = cavemen = ... dinosaurs?

"Oh! I once did a two week juice cleanse!"

Does this sound possibly dangerous/counterintuitive to anyone else? lol

"Oh! I once did a two week juice cleanse!"

Does this sound possibly dangerous/counterintuitive to anyone else? lol

That's like the time my friend told me about her "detox" thing where she's spending several hundreds of dollars to drink this proprietary drink and suck on these fiber candies instead of eating for 4-6 days per month.

She then raved about how she's lost and kept off 10 lbs since starting it in January...and I just wanted to scream at her that it's because she's cutting out all food for 4-6 days per month. You know, like how you lose the same amount of weight when you get a stomach bug and can't eat anything for that long so you just...wait...drink something and maybe suck on a hard candy...

One of my staff is doing "no sugar" this month. But it's ok, she can have organic honey.

Sigh.

That goes perfectly with the "carb free" chocolate cake with raspberries and whipped cream a friend made a while ago...she meant gluten free. *sigh*

co-worker: here, try these hummus chips. 

me: no thanks.

co-worker: they're healthy. they're made with garbanzo beans. 

me: no thanks.

co-worker: oh yeah, you're trying to be good. 

Same co-worker started asking questions about my diet and was generally positive about it. She must be a people-pleaser because every time she eats something that's healthy to her she tells me about it. She did have an egg baked in an avocado -- with black beans though. This morning was funny:

co-worker: I went out for chinese last night and if you don't eat the rice it's not that bad. I got the Happy Family with 3 different kinds of meat. Lots of protein! 

me: i wonder what kind of oil they use.

co-worker: oh yeah. it's probably peanut oil.

I'm thinking soy sauce, flour and/or cornstarch, MSG, but I didn't say anything else. 

Archived