The crazy things people say

Jessica

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

co-worker: I went out for chinese last night and if you don't eat the rice it's not that bad. I got the Happy Family with 3 different kinds of meat. Lots of protein! 

me: i wonder what kind of oil they use.

co-worker: oh yeah. it's probably peanut oil.

I'm thinking soy sauce, flour and/or cornstarch, MSG, but I didn't say anything else. 

Ironic that that the white rice - though not W30 approved - is pretty much innocuous compared to the who-knows-what was in/on her meat and veg.  :D

When I was breastfeeding my 6 month old baby my (overweight) Mother-in-Law was living with us and made so many comments on a daily basis:

MIL: Don't you need a lot of protein for breastfeeding?

Me: Well I eat eggs every breakfast and meat with lunch and dinner

MIL: Eggs have protein?

*hears baby crying/fussing*

MIL: She is probably allergic to all the veggies you are eating.

MIL: Are you sure you're making enough milk? You have no boobs anymore!

(I am a B cup)

Pediatrician: You're not feeding her cereal? She needs it to get her iron!

MIL talking about my toddler: Her tooth enamel is going to erode from eating too much fruit.

When I was breastfeeding my 6 month old baby my (overweight) Mother-in-Law was living with us and made so many comments on a daily basis:

MIL: Eggs have protein?

*hears baby crying/fussing*

MIL: She is probably allergic to all the veggies you are eating.

Pediatrician: You're not feeding her cereal? She needs it to get her iron!

MIL talking about my toddler: Her tooth enamel is going to erode from eating too much fruit.

Ugh - the MIL comments are funny to hear (must have been deeply annoying for you, though - also there must be some rule about not criticizing your DIL's breasts, right? you just don't do that....)

But the doctor comment is --- argh!!!! 

LOL Biba--we tried cereal with our little guy when he was that age, and all he did was push it right back out (we even did delayed feeding) and so we said okie dokie, and off to avocado and zucchini for him and never looked back. He doesn't even KNOW what cold cereal is! or hot for that matter--he has never had it and we have never had an issue with him not having enough iron. Stick to your guns mama! 

I was out with some friends yesterday and one pointed out that there was a cauliflower steak on the menu.  I replied that it came with beans, so I couldn't have it.  She keeps kosher, so se said, "oh... like Passover.... for a MONTH???  Are you crazy?"

I was hoping to convince my friends to try the Whole 30 this fall, but I'm pretty sure I've lost Rachel already.

I was eating breakfast at work (veggies and a compliant chicken sausage) and a co-worker comes in covered in brownies, looks at my plate and says 'A hot dog?  I don't feel so bad about brownies for breakfast now!'

Um... That is not *quite* the same.  Then she proceeds to say that she doesn't like veggies, but mine always smell so good.  She's more of a fruit (or brownies) girl...

*after repeatedly explaining my gluten issues and that bread, etc. is no bueno*

Boss: Hey, I made sure there's a cheese pizza since I know you're picky.

On an entirely separate occasion:

Boss (to me): What kind of toppings do you want for pizza?

Me: I can't eat pizza.

*cue boss has NO idea why I'm declining, I attempt to explain that gluten=flour and pizza is made with flour. She is completely boggled. Like, as if I had just tried to teach her astrophysics.*

I just love the implication that "hey, I have a food allergy" has translated into 1. I must be a picky eater and/or 2. I'm a vegetarian. Neither is remotely true.

• Administrators

I just love the implication that "hey, I have a food allergy" has translated into 1. I must be a picky eater and/or 2. I'm a vegetarian. Neither is remotely true.

The number of times that I have explained no grains etc and then been offered a vegetarian restaurant/food dish as an option boggles the mind!  

This was a couple of years ago where I went to a restaurant (I believe they are a chain of restaurants in Western Canada) where they specify that they have a gluten free menu options.

So I ordered a bunless burger and a salad which had a variety of nuts, seeds etc. added to the salad.  The waitress then argued with me that if I was gluten and dairy sensitive I should order the salad without the nuts.  I told her that unless the nuts and seeds were coated with flour, that they should be fine.  She looked at me strange at that point - like I didn't know what I was talking about.

I had no real issue with the waitress herself - after all not everyone is aware of what a gluten sensitivity is.  However, I was slightly appalled that a restaurant that market's itself  as GF - doesn't take the time to explain to the staff what GF actually is.....

I just saw an Atkins commercial that really ticked me off...it was advertising "candies" so that people who "missed indulging" on their sweets could satisfy (fall victim to) their cravings.  The commercial ended with some stupid slogan like "Cut carbs...lose weight."  Really????  I guess it's just after all I've learned about being healthy from Whole30, stuff like this just really gets under my skin.  First of all, they're wrong about cutting carbs altogether, but it's also horrible that they're pushing these sugar-alcohol laden, chemically formulated balls of garbage on these poor misguided people.  Oh, sure, you'll lose some weight, but you'll be spending some "quality" time with your toilet!  Those rotten things wreck your system.  I'd rather be pudgy than be sick from eating fake "diet" candy.  People need to wake up and educate themselves about what they're doing to their bodies.  :angry:

End rant.  Thanks for reading.

• Administrators

I just saw an Atkins commercial that really ticked me off...it was advertising "candies" so that people who "missed indulging" on their sweets could satisfy (fall victim to) their cravings.  The commercial ended with some stupid slogan like "Cut carbs...lose weight."  Really????  I guess it's just after all I've learned about being healthy from Whole30, stuff like this just really gets under my skin.  First of all, they're wrong about cutting carbs altogether, but it's also horrible that they're pushing these sugar-alcohol laden, chemically formulated balls of garbage on these poor misguided people.  Oh, sure, you'll lose some weight, but you'll be spending some "quality" time with your toilet!  Those rotten things wreck your system.  I'd rather be pudgy than be sick from eating fake "diet" candy.  People need to wake up and educate themselves about what they're doing to their bodies.  :angry:

End rant.  Thanks for reading.

They also paint all humans with the same brush (cut carbs, lose weight) and they forget to mention "Cut carbs, lose your mother effing mind for 2 weeks a month, nearly get divorced, have high anxiety, lose focus, wicked headache, oh we're sorry, women actually need carbs but screw your physical needs, LOSE WEIGHT."

On a much less ranty note, my favorite reaction when people ask about my "diet" is: "Oh, I could never do that."  I usually just smile a pained smile and think, "Oh, you definitely could...you just don't want to."  I want to tell them not to sell themselves short; they're certainly capable!

Another thing I thought was funny was how surprised people were at how much I spend on groceries every week.  I got the eyebrow raise, and "What??!! You spend $165 for 2 people??? I spend just over $100 for a family of four..." We tried explaining how we fill our cart with fresh veggies and good proteins.  Also when you do the math, it's just under $25 a day, which I really don't think is horrible, especially since we're eating three huge delicious meals every single day.  Just priorotize your budget!

I also didn't bother mentioning that $165 is actually a cheap week for us... :ph34r:

On a much less ranty note, my favorite reaction when people ask about my "diet" is: "Oh, I could never do that."  I usually just smile a pained smile and think, "Oh, you definitely could...you just don't want to."  I want to tell them not to sell themselves short; they're certainly capable!

I usually respond with "if you think you couldn't do without (fill in the blank), then it's probably even more important that you give it up." But only to good friends of course!

• Moderators

Another thing I thought was funny was how surprised people were at how much I spend on groceries every week. I got the eyebrow raise, and "What??!! You spend $165 for 2 people??? I spend just over $100 for a family of four..." We tried explaining how we fill our cart with fresh veggies and good proteins. Also when you do the math, it's just under $25 a day, which I really don't think is horrible, especially since we're eating three huge delicious meals every single day. Just priorotize your budget!

I also didn't bother mentioning that $165 is actually a cheap week for us... :ph34r:

I find it hilarious when people tout that they 'only' spend $100 a week for a family of four... I hear that all the time and the next question I ask is 'do you count all the money from eating out in that $100?' The answer is always, well no, you said 'groceries'. And I say, yes well everything that goes into my mouth, including beverages, is made out of INGREDIENTS in my kitchen... so it's not really fair to compare your $100 for a family of four, plus eating out to my '$100/week'. Duh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another thing I thought was funny was how surprised people were at how much I spend on groceries every week.  I got the eyebrow raise, and "What??!! You spend $165 for 2 people??? I spend just over $100 for a family of four..." We tried explaining how we fill our cart with fresh veggies and good proteins.  Also when you do the math, it's just under $25 a day, which I really don't think is horrible, especially since we're eating three huge delicious meals every single day.  Just prioritize your budget!

Being the smart-a$$ that I am, I like to ask these people this question. "Have you priced a heart attack lately? How about a stroke? The daily rate in ICU?"

Husband and I have had NO medical bills (other than preventative & exams) since 2008. We take no prescription medicines. I'm 62 and he's 71. A big part is genetic, I know, but IMO, lifestyle often trumps genes.

YMMV

Archived