The crazy things people say

Jessica

I just started my whole30, and I was going over to a friend's house. Her husband asked if I could stop and get a Coke for him. I said I'd love to but I just can't go anywhere near Diet Coke right now. They said it was fine. When I was at their house, he was like 'just have one, one won't hurt anything.' Dude. I'm trying to break my physical and emotional addiction to Diet Coke and so many other things. Just one absolutely WILL hurt. 

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that was me I'd ask if he'd get me to pick up a 6 pack of beer and a fifth of bourbon, if I was a recovering alcoholic, or if he would ask me to pick up a packet of cigarettes if he knew that I'd quit smoking - his answer would surely be 'no', so why ask me to pick up diet coke if he knows I'm steering clear of it?  unless he's one of those people who say, what's the harm in you buying it for me?  You're not consuming it.  That's the kind of person you really don't need as a friend during Whole 30.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, Crastney said:

If that was me I'd ask if he'd get me to pick up a 6 pack of beer and a fifth of bourbon, if I was a recovering alcoholic, or if he would ask me to pick up a packet of cigarettes if he knew that I'd quit smoking - his answer would surely be 'no', so why ask me to pick up diet coke if he knows I'm steering clear of it?  unless he's one of those people who say, what's the harm in you buying it for me?  You're not consuming it.  That's the kind of person you really don't need as a friend during Whole 30.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

There, fixed that... ;)

34563004826_c3687a8a81.jpgclapping 1 by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

34563004736_a0f59ec7d3.jpgclapping 2 by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

• 6 months later...

I called my brother to discuss Christmas presents. Usually he gets me a few bottles of wine. Since I’ve been on W30, I’ve realized I was drinking wine almost every night, and I had achy joints and felt sluggish. By day 16, I was feeling no aches (and had no reflux!). I’m sure wine was a main trigger. So I’ve decided to not drink for a long while (and then rarely). I asked him to consider getting me some art supplies or books on my Amazon wish list. 

His response was that he’ll still get me the wine—“it really needs to age before you drink it anyway.” 

I guess I can regift it. They are usually very nice bottles.

• 1 month later...

Co-worker who started Whole30 a couple days after me was describing it to another co-worker.  I wasn't really part of the conversation.

Her: (turning to me) The 30 stands for 30 days, right?

Me: Yes.

Her: (turning back to him) So it's like a cleanse, kind of.

Him: Yeah, but she's probably doing it as a diet. (meaning me)

Thinking to myself, but not looking up: Yes, I'm overweight.  But, no.  I'm not doing it as a weight-loss diet.  I'm trying to identify my food sensitivities, and weight loss will probably happen.  And dude, I'm right HERE.

I have read this thread over time, laughing, sighing or shaking my head at all the stories. People can be so rude!

I'm going to share a very unpopular idea that would have prevented many (but certainly not all) of the stories on this thread from happening: don't tell people you're doing the Whole30 unless you have to. Especially at work! Don't broadcast it on social media, either. It'll save you a lot of grief. If you need to tell people for support, tell your spouse/partner, close friends, and/or family members who truly care about you. Yes, at some point, you will be at a gathering of some sort and the subject of why you aren't eating what's there will come up. Melissa Hartwig has a lot of tips for dealing with these moments. But generally speaking, the more you share, the more unpleasant situations you will encounter.

No one at work ever had any idea I was doing a Whole30 because I'd pull things like chili and beef stew with potatoes out of my bag for lunch, and those aren't "diet" foods. Everyone should do what works for them, but I just finished my fourth and I've avoided a whole lot of "crazy things people say" this way. 

• Administrators
Just now, diamonds422 said:

I have read this thread over time, laughing, sighing or shaking my head at all the stories. People can be so rude!

I'm going to share a very unpopular idea that would have prevented many (but certainly not all) of the stories on this thread from happening: don't tell people you're doing the Whole30 unless you have to. Especially at work! Don't broadcast it on social media, either. It'll save you a lot of grief. If you need to tell people for support, tell your spouse/partner, close friends, and/or family members who truly care about you. Yes, at some point, you will be at a gathering of some sort and the subject of why you aren't eating what's there will come up. Melissa Hartwig has a lot of tips for dealing with these moments. But generally speaking, the more you share, the more unpleasant situations you will encounter.

No one at work ever had any idea I was doing a Whole30 because I'd pull things like chili and beef stew with potatoes out of my bag for lunch, and those aren't "diet" foods. Everyone should do what works for them, but I just finished my fourth and I've avoided a whole lot of "crazy things people say" this way. 

I couldn't agree with you more! I never told work people or acquaintances either and always just said "Oh, no thanks" when offered something I wasn't eating (bread, cake, booze etc). If you don't make a big deal out of it, other people won't either. If I was ever asked "Are you sure?" I would just say "Yep, maybe a bit later" and people generally forget all about you. :) 

• 8 months later...

My colleague/girlfriend (who is actually the one who introduced me to W30 which makes this even funnier) said to me recently - "I am so sick of seeing how skinny you have gotten!"  I'm sure she means it out of love in there somewhere ;).  

On 1/29/2017 at 12:59 PM, denibear said:

Reading this one literally made me laugh until I peed my pants a little. 

I finished reading this topic & want more! Hilarious! 

Mine came before I started Whole30... having a conversation with a co-worker who has had weight-loss surgery (which would lead ME to believe she knows at least some basic stuff about nutrition & macronutrients - because don't you have to take classes & stuff before the surgery?? My mom did...) anyway, we got to talking about carbs, and she told me that meat has carbs in it. 

I was flabbergasted. I assumed she meant if you put breading on it or something, but as I kept pressing her, come to find out... no, she was quite positive that meat (just plain meat, such as ground beef straight from the butcher) has carbs in it. 

I literally had to find it online and show her that she was nuts before she would believe me. :o

I was giggling so much my husband got me to read it out loud and I literally could not do it for laughing.  THANK YOU for the fantastic laugh.

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, ladyshanny said:

I couldn't agree with you more! I never told work people or acquaintances either and always just said "Oh, no thanks" when offered something I wasn't eating (bread, cake, booze etc). If you don't make a big deal out of it, other people won't either. If I was ever asked "Are you sure?" I would just say "Yep, maybe a bit later" and people generally forget all about you. :) 

Honestly, this has been my experience as well. I have some family and friends who either know and are supportive, or likely would be if they knew, but other family who would be judgey as all get out and I don't need that. And I really don't need to fight folks at work who think it's some kind of fad thing. Dealing with sugar cravings and aches in the beginning is enough to have to worry about without dealing with judgement on top of it.

Archived