The crazy things people say

Jessica

Friend holding a large bag of twizzlers: Want one?

Me: No thanks.

Friend: Why? You don't like them?

Me: Insert 3 sentence of explanation of why I won't eat candy.

Friend holding up twizzler: Here have just one.

Me: No.

Friend: wow your tough.

Later in the afternoon. Received a text from the same friend.

"didn't make to the gym this afternoon. I have the worst headache."

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just find the whole concept of ANYONE commenting on my food, life choices or decisions ALWAYS just plain rude.

I do not, HAVE NOT, and WILL NOT ever feel the need to make a comment about a person's decisions - food or otherwise

What is it with people who don't have a "basic courtesy valve" in their mouth..there are plenty of them

I actually see it as more a case of them feeling attacked for what I have chosen to put on my plate - like it somehow reflects badly on them, therefore they feel the need to lash out with a statement that backs up their position.

If anything, it makes me more determined - I sit there silently losing weight, gaining control over my eating while they plunge headfirst into the abyss..enjoy the trip, peeps!!!

I'm with you. I get pretty defensive when people question me. I don't say anything to them regarding the way they choose to eat so they shouldn't care about my decisions and make comments that I don't eat "normal" or I am "weird". Very frustrating.

I was at the Dr. discussing my cholesterol and the Dr asked if I drink milk. I said no. He said, you need to--but drink 1%!

I'm looking for a new Dr. ;)

OY! I don't drink milk either, but if I did, it would be the rawest, fattiest stuff I could get my hands on!

Dialog with colleague:

- Nadia, I've made fantastic caramel bars, I'll bring some for you.

- Thanks Mel, so sweet of you, but save them for your family. I don't eat sweets.

- But they are homemade! They are good for you!

- No, thanks Mel, I guess they are just less bad rather than good.

- I'll show you a recipe, they are perfectly healthy!

Turned out to be a 3 step thing: put crackers, top with butter/sugar so it forms caramel layer, top with huge layer of chocolate.

They are so perfectly healthy that I might quit Whole30 and eat them for bf, lunch and dinner :)

Yep, everything homemade equals healthy by default in her world. It's only store bought cupcakes that are nasty. I wonder when the magic transformation from bad stuff into healthy food is happening? Probably when you open dry muffin mix at home and it becomes homemade :D

Her best so far is "I am watching what my family eats, I even bake with Splenda!".

*sigh* I just went through San Diego airport security. My purse went through with my tupperware of flank steak and squash. The TSA guy said, "Really? Really?" and then pulled over a co-worker to observe. For real, dude! Yeah, people plan ahead instead of eating dried up sandwiches!

That's hilarious! I picture them announcing over the loudspeaker "this person actually has real food with them!" and a big, Far-Side style red arrow suddenly pointing at your head as everyone turns to look at you!

Hooray for planning ahead!

My fiance joined me in the whole 30 challenge (day 4 woohoo!) and came home with this conversation the other day:

He was explaining the whole 30 and what it entailed, and described all the rules, no dairy, etc

His co-worker responds with "oh my doctor gave me this great idea to deal with cravings! You take a spoonful of sour cream and take 20 minutes to eat it....by that point your craving is gone!"

LOL My fiance just answered "well, I can't have dairy"

Co-worker: "oh, well you should try it because it works really well!"

Fiance: *shakes head* and walks away

His co-worker responds with "oh my doctor gave me this great idea to deal with cravings! You take a spoonful of sour cream and take 20 minutes to eat it....by that point your craving is gone!"

Oooooooooor, how about you do pretty much anything (listen to music, walk, do a load of laundry...) for twenty minutes. That usually works too. Just saying...

This reminds me: my sister's youngest was gaining weight too quickly (in her doctor's opinion) so the doc suggested instead of feeding her breastmilk when she was hungry, she should give her "a little" sugar water (!). uh huh. yeah. new doctor.

ps. the kid is a healthy happy 4-year old now.

I have to share. I asked my co-worker a question and then noticed that she had her headphones on. I walked to her desk and she goes: "I am sorry, I am watching videos how to speed up metabolism". The best part? Half emtpy box of shortbread cookies in front of her :)

I was watching a video from Fox posted on Clothes Make the Girl. The $%^ dietician is going on and on about how a diet with no carbs is unhealthy, nutrient deficient, blah blah blah. AS she's talking about how extremely low-carb paleo is the camera is zooming in on this big veggie plate, a bowl of nuts and fruit and Well Fed's Paleo pad thai.... I'm like, woman, if you are going to go on national TV and bad mouth something, at least do a little cursory research. Just a little.

PS- If you are in a Kill-All-the-Things day, do NOT watch that video! ;)

Watched the video. :o

"Need I say more?" YES. Like maybe an apt argument in support of your assertions. Rice is a staple of diets all around the world? Well, billions of people eat McDonald's too. Paleo is unhealthy because it promotes quick weight loss that can't be sustained? All three of the pro-Paleo participants lost substantial weight and have kept it off for years. YEARS and still counting. Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack in his 60's? So the f#@& what?!!!!

And yes. Let's talk about the dangers of a diet with too much meat in it while the camera pans on plateful after plateful of veggies, nuts and fruits. ???!!!??? Uuuuugghh!

WOWSERS! Firstly, I'm amazingly surprised that Fox managed to do an unbiased piece for a change. Secondly, the mainstream dietician is seemingly entirely typical. "I don't have anything to substantiate my claims so i'm just going to keep repeating my point over and over again."

I pulled out some eggs to cook for my breakfast and my mother (who is temporarily living with us) said " I would have cooked you an egg for breakfast but I thought you were avoiding dairy" It was all I could do to not burst out laughing! :D

After I finish explaining briefly what paleo/Whole30 is: "So you're doing Atkins?"

This happened to me recently! I then reiterated and added in a more detailed description of some things. I just had to give up at that point. :)

Our almost-three-year old had some severe vomiting overnight. No other symptoms, no fever, diarrhea, etc., just LOTS of vomiting. Talked to the on-call pediatrician about what to watch for, when to panic, etc. :rolleyes: The baby then slept through the night and woke up feeling much better. (Kids.)

Got a follow-up call from a pediatric nurse this morning who advised me to start giving him sips of Coke. I asked, "Is there a better alternative to Coke? We don't ever give him pop." After a pause she said, "Well, Kool-aid then. He needs the sugar to fight the virus." And sighed. Because I'm being difficult. Again. :angry:

3. “I avoid potatoes because they're fattening.â€

I absolutely hate the word "fattening". I have actually banned my clients from using the word. It is so one-dimensional and, to me, just demonstrates that you don't have a good grasp on what is actually wrong with the food in question. Even things that are on our exclusion list aren't "fattening". They cause a whole host of issues that in turn cause you to store fat or inhibit fat loss.

Phew. Soap box! Can you tell that's a hot button?? hahah

Archived