The crazy things people say

Jessica

Heard today AT THE FARMER'S MARKET!

I went to the compost booth to find out more information. I tell the lady I have a pretty healthy diet and have recently started cooking a lot more for myself (yay! whole 30!) and need to do something with my kitchen scraps. She starts to give me the run-down of how it works.... and (because of their method) they can't take meat or animal scraps.... "Oh- well if you eat healthy you probably don't eat much of that anyway." and continues through her speech.

Oy.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, I have a similar story. I sat down to have my lunch at the coffee shop I work at, and a regular customer asks me, "Are you a vegetarian? Because you seem like a health nut to me!" And I said, "Well, I am a health nut but I sure am not a vegetarian!"

To be fair, she wasn't a vegetarian either, but it's interesting how the common perception of vegetarianism is that it's the pinnacle of health. I used to think so, even.

I work with someone who is an insulin- dependent diabetic who developed the disease late in life apparently due to a viral infection(?). She eats like a train wreck.

The other day she tells me, in the beginning, she use to be "GOOD" and eat the sugar free candy, cookies etc - face palm, right there!!- but then she realized that stuff still has carbs so she figured she might as well eat the regular stuff......double face palm....

My office is mostly women and there are maybe two of us who take a realistic approach to healthy eating and weight control. The other woman is a big fan of WW, but she's at least respectful of my choices and eats a balanced diet (ie, she doesn't use up all her points for a day by eating one meal of crap food). Anyway, the other women are dangerously skinny. The older ones all have serious health issues. They enjoy sitting around before most of our staff meetings one-upping each other with their latest fad diets or starvation techniques. I've never seen a group of people who get so much joy out of publicly bragging about their disordered eating.

Recently, during one of their bonding sessions, they noticed I was sitting there and the worst of the lot of them said, "Oh Laura, we just don't know how you've managed to lose all that weight while eating as much as you do!"

What I actually said in response, "I know! Must be some sort of black magic!"

What I wanted to say in response, "It's amazing what can happen when your concern is health and happiness over what the ladies at the club might think if you aren't fitting into a size 0 anymore."

Heh, I have a similar story. I sat down to have my lunch at the coffee shop I work at, and a regular customer asks me, "Are you a vegetarian? Because you seem like a health nut to me!" And I said, "Well, I am a health nut but I sure am not a vegetarian!"

Good lord. People come through my line all the time at Trader Joe's, trying to impress me (I guess because I look "natural" and work at TJ's) by telling me they're vegetarians. I also think they do it to see who is in their "tribe" of veggies. And when I say I eat grass fed meats a lot of times they say, "Oh, I do too, sometimes." What? Pick a team, you anemic flip-flopper. :rolleyes:

Recently, during one of their bonding sessions, they noticed I was sitting there and the worst of the lot of them said, "Oh Laura, we just don't know how you've managed to lose all that weight while eating as much as you do!"

What I actually said in response, "I know! Must be some sort of black magic!"

People are always trying to make other people's eating habits their business. I'm no exception, but I try to wait to be invited before I critique . . . unless they make personal comments about my food choices first, then I do my best to defend my choices and Whole9. There are tons of people who think I'm crazy, but they're mostly fat girls. Ha. Sorry, that was mean.

(omg- I have so many stories)

My uncle got a Vitamix from his brother awhile ago. So we went to visit and my Aunt is raving about how he's become this health nut. I actually got really excited because that side of the family is SO unhealthy. Everything is a casserole and a soda and they all smoke, he has had multiple heart attacks, you get the picture.

Anyway- he proceeds to make his smoothie, informing me with every ingredient why its super healthy and Dr. OZ said so etc. Handful of spinach (yay!), a few carrots, orange juice from concentrate (oranges are too expensive), a spoon full of some dannon-like yogurt (for calcium, obvi), a handful of kidney beans (fiber), quick oats, and a few frozen berries......

Mind you I have been a personal trainer for 7 years and more recently Chek HLC. I was almost insulted that he was lecturing me so, but the contents of the smoothie were so ignorant I was just sort of dumb-founded. What a waste of a Vitamix!

My mother-in-law has numerous allergies & sensitivities, including (but not limited to) dark chocolate, bananas, washing powder, hayfever, damp & strawberries "that have gone over a bit". She's recently been suffering from an all-over itchy fine rash, which she's attributing to excess washing powder deposits in her clothes. I casually remarked that sometimes an underlying & not-immediately-obvious sensitivity to wheat or gluten could make the immune system overworked & unable to fight off other allergens, "fascinating" i said... She smiled at me blankly & said "Yes, i think i'm just going to buy a new washing machine"

Hmm :huh:

I casually remarked that sometimes an underlying & not-immediately-obvious sensitivity to wheat or gluten could make the immune system overworked & unable to fight off other allergens, "fascinating" i said... She smiled at me blankly & said "Yes, i think i'm just going to buy a new washing machine"

Hmm :huh:

Perfect example of how people would rather spend money on a quick fix (i.e. drugs or, in this case, washing mashine) than working on the actual cause.

I never talk about what I eat or don't eat unless asked (no one cares about someone else's diet). As others have mentioned though, the one that gets me is being cut off with "oh, you're doing atkins", as I start to explain it when asked why I look different. NO! or, "Hm, I never would've take you for a fad dieter". Grrr....

Basically, I've decided to be a hermit for the month.

Our almost-three-year old had some severe vomiting overnight. No other symptoms, no fever, diarrhea, etc., just LOTS of vomiting. Talked to the on-call pediatrician about what to watch for, when to panic, etc. :rolleyes: The baby then slept through the night and woke up feeling much better. (Kids.)

Got a follow-up call from a pediatric nurse this morning who advised me to start giving him sips of Coke. I asked, "Is there a better alternative to Coke? We don't ever give him pop." After a pause she said, "Well, Kool-aid then. He needs the sugar to fight the virus." And sighed. Because I'm being difficult. Again. :angry:

Wow. I would probably change offices. I have never heard of anyone suggesting coke for a vomiting child. That's ridiculous.

Wow. I would probably change offices. I have never heard of anyone suggesting coke for a vomiting child. That's ridiculous.

Actually, warm/flat coke or sprite/7 up is a very common thing to give after vomiting. I don't know the science behind it, but oddly enough it does seem to settle the stomach.

I'm from the west coast, and my mom always used 7up; my Midwest in-laws swear by coke.

I give my kids coconut water, to replace electrolytes. Kind of a more natural pedialyte.

I give my kids coconut water, to replace electrolytes. Kind of a more natural pedialyte.

We always drank ginger ale when we were sick as kids, not because of anything to do with the soda/sugar, but because the ginger calms your stomach. Now, I drink ginger tea for stomach aches/cramps - same effect, no chemicals or sugar.

I just love that Whole9 opens up all these new avenues in the mind for day to day problem solving. It takes thinking and creativity to use ginger tea and coconut water when we always used corn syrupy sodas when we were kids. It takes guts to overcome the traditions that are emotionally comforting, but bad for health. After a couple of years of Whole9 living, I'm sure all of this stuff is going to be second nature and will become exciting new traditions that we can share with our families.

Oh, and I have a new post about the weird GOOD things that people say about Whole9. I have a co-worker who, whenever he sees me with a steak or ribs, says, "I gotta get on that caveman diet. What's for lunch today, brontosaurus ribs that tilt your car over like Fred Flintstone? I could get down like that." Ha! I've got to remember to emphasize the fact that I eat tons of veggies, too. :P

Someone in my family who has seemed to be taking my dietary and lifestyle changes very personally, for whatever reason, said to me today: "So, I hate to say this and do so begrudgingly, because that's how I am, but I recently determined that pizza really affects me negatively." She thinks that "pizza wheat" is somehow worse than other wheat, but I'm sure it's just the combo of wheat, low-quality cheese, and industrial oils that is bothering her...

After she went grocery shopping, she said, "Speaking of having less wheat, I got potato rolls today!"

Me: "But... Don't those have wheat in them?"

Her: "Maybe, but not a lot! *checks label* oh... It's the first ingredient."

Me: *facepalm*

Huh, we had ginger ale as kids as well. Maybe coke for stomach problems is a regional thing. But still, I don't see how coke would be beneficial. But then I'm hoping my daughter never even gets so much as a taste of soda as long as she's living with me. I'm pretty sure I was drinking coke as a very small child. I don't remember any of my childhood without soda so.... probably.

One more...

My roommate who exclusively eats low-fat, processed foods and grains and is also hypoglycemic says to me as we're leaving the gym...

Roommate: "I really want to go to your weight lifting class with you, but I don't want to start building muscle until I lose the weight, I'm just going to keep going to cardio classes and cut down on my calories"

I've given up trying with her at this point. No matter how many times I tell her her diet of Special K and frozen turkey burgers is not going to give her the results she wants she refuses to believe me, despite seeing the results I've had in just 3 weeks. Very frustrating!!

I just heard my roommate say to the girl he has over, about me and my BF: "They are on some kind of weird... diet... thing... lots of vegetables". Hahahah! I guess I haven't done a very good job explaining it to him! Trying to lead by example instead of being annoying talking about it all the time.

I have been talking to a member of the gym about this the whole month. Every time I see her she asks me what day it is and how I feel. "Day 19! Feeling amazing!"

The other day she tells me she is starting a medical obesity program where she has been advised to consume 800-900 calories per day and is on an appetite suppressant...... Am I speaking Swahili?! Have you heard a WORD I have said? No, guess not.

I have been talking to a member of the gym about this the whole month. Every time I see her she asks me what day it is and how I feel. "Day 19! Feeling amazing!"

The other day she tells me she is starting a medical obesity program where she has been advised to consume 800-900 calories per day and is on an appetite suppressant...... Am I speaking Swahili?! Have you heard a WORD I have said? No, guess not.

I cannot imagine my life on 800-900 calories. My in-training breakfasts were regularly over 1000 (not that i would know, because i would NEVER count my calories) :D

This thread, like others have said, is hilarious...and horribly sad. Let's see what I've had recently...

"Want a cupcake? They're the dinner of champions!"

"You really don't want the cupcake? Still sticking to that resolution?"

"I'll trade you my [boxed German fruitcake he got as a gift] for your chocolate-dipped pretzels!" (in my defense, the pretzels were a gift and I brought them straight to work to get rid of them)

"You don't have any more trail mix?" (my boss used to eat the big container of trail mix on my desk; I don't have it out for now because I don't want temptation that close until I have more control)

"You're eating paleo? Here, have a bowl of popcorn. It's FREE." (when I turned this one down, he offered cheese and crackers, then a candy bar :blink: yeah.....)

I am avoiding the one gas station because when you go in to pay, you are offered a FREE REESE'S EGG or Cadbury egg and they're big on hawking them. They're FREE because you bought so much gas!!!!! The other station offers them too, but you have to go inside (instead of the paying kiosk with the guy) to get one. I never turned them down until now!

Luckily, one of my coworkers, who sits behind me, has done paleo before. She doesn't anymore (she's a weight lifter who prefers protein bars and powders to eating real protein...yeah...) but she's at least being nice and asking how it's going, how many days I've been on it, if I've cheated, etc. It's nice to have someone supporting me (until my hubby comes home anyways).

Archived