The crazy things people say

Jessica

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it!

In response to my huge salads for lunch the last two days:

"That's a ton of salad. No way you can eat all that."

Me: eats 1.5qt bowl of salad; the next day I had 1.75!

"Wait...you ate that...and chuck roast...and fruit salad?"

Me: "For the first time all week, I wasn't hungry by the time mid-afternoon rolled around!"

Despite my endless explanations that I'm not dieting just eating whole foods because they make me feel better my coworkers cant cope with my packed lunches. Best yet was after looking at my kumera and chicken salad with tons of green veges and homemade mayo

"are you going to eat all that?"

Me: "yes a good lunch gets me through the afternoon"

"well youll never lose weight eating that much food"

Me: "Im not that worried about my weight just want to eat good food"

"oh have a cheese toastie then"

Me: "no thanks I dont eat that sort of thing"

"but its low fat"

just nod and smile cause what can you do

Had a conversation with a dear friend who has spent too many years drinking the Weight Watchers Kool-Aid. She is very interested in how I've changed my eating habits (although, I suspect, too focused on weight loss and not a clean diet and the many other benefits). When I mentioned that I use coconut oil for cooking, she commented on how bad it is for you. A few minutes later, she recounted a tale from a recent trip with her boys to McDonald's. Umm....

Same friend recently mentioned that the grocery store eggs (i.e., factory-farmed) are "healthier" than the farm eggs because the factory chickens have been bred to produce eggs with less cholesterol.

This all makes me rather sad, actually. So much bad information out there. I'm not pushing or evangelizing, though. I did have to mention the bit about there being old research out there on hydrogenated coconut oil. I just kept my mouth shut about the eggs.

Ugh. That sounds like a really frustrating conversation!

I like the looks I get when I say that fat doesn't make you fat. The military's response to people who are overweight is "you must eat brown rice and steamed veggies and baked boneless/skinless/flavorless chicken breast and work out three times a day to lose weight!"

I just laugh. And eat my mayo dip. A little too much of it. And enjoy not being fat (I lose weight eating mayo!) and the fact that I'm at the same weight as I was in Afghanistan last summer. When I sweated like it was my job. And lost 10% of my body weight.

Everyone at my office thinks I am a health nut. That's nothing new, so they almost got over it and I am not that much of entertainment to them anymore. However they amuse me day by day.

#1. My friend brought me super sweet milk chocolate with peanut filling from her trip. I am handing two bars to the nearest desks. Co-worker: "Oh my God! Unbelievable! You are handling this so well. I would never tell by your face". "Tell what?" "Aren't you upset that you have to give them away?". I feel a bit guilty for giving you this mix, but not a bit sad, no.

#2. My co-worker loves McD breakfasts. When I got a coupon book in my mail box I brought it to her. "Why don't you keep it for yourself?" I am raising my eyebrows puzzled. "Those coupons are so right for you, they have all things HEALTHY!". She lays this thing on my desk and yells excited: "See?! Oatmeal and granola, and orange juice, and yogurt! ALL HEALTHY!". I didn't tell her that it will take me couple weeks to recover if i'll use at least a third of these coupons.

I'm on day 10 of Whole30. Yesterday our work hosted a cookout for us.

I ordered a flat iron steak with No seasonings, and green beans. They offered baked potatoes, mushroom glop (ew) and cookies, and ice cream and all kinds of sodas as well. I only had the steak and green beans. My boss was grilling me on why I wasn't having a "treat". I told them what I was doing. She said "WHY would you limit yourself so much when you're already so limited (I have celiac)"

I just didn't respond. I'm NOT limited. There are endless lists of things I can eat. It's so infuritating that if you don't indulge in the crap that everyone else is eating that you get harrassed. I'm not going to sit around and feet bloated and fat all day just to justify your own LACK of will power. No thanks!

Away for Work today and made the comment that its not too hard to eat healthy when away when you know what to look for (I had brought in a salad I made from supermarket ingredients) and the joking response was.... It might be easy but why would you want to..... My response... My mum is on her second round of cancer, my dad died of cancer, my mum and sister have diabetes and two weeks ago I just had my 7th surgical procedure.... Stunned silence then agreement that eating healthy was probably a good thing.... LOL

I had a well-meaning, if misguided acquaintance give me some "sage" advice on dieting, when she heard me telling someone which foods I'm avoiding..

"It's all about calories in, versus calories out," she said. "If you want to lose weight, you have to make sure you burn more than you take in. That's it. That's the secret. Doesn't matter what you eat."

She looked at me like I had two heads when I replied that weight-loss wasn't my goal.

"Then why deny yourself?" she asked, obviously taken aback. I explained that I'm trying to heal my stomach, which is my focus for this W30. She looked puzzled. Then shrugged, obviously concluding that this answer was a ruse to cover my true motives, and replied, "Just remember, calories in versus calories out."

:rolleyes:

Not really crazy, but- My husband and I were reminiscing this weekend about how we used to polish off a bottle of wine almost every Saturday night- always a fun, relaxing time. We discussed how we probably won't do that anytime soon. At the same time that he said "yeah, all those calories", I was saying "yeah, I really love being able to sleep and not having a stomach ache". I was so happy that the calorie thing never entered my mind- just the benefits of knowing how I will feel should I overindulge.

As a former WW girl- that is PROGRESS !!!!!

I don't drink much alcohol, but after 100days without, I was amazed how when I did have some, even just a few mouthfuls, the next morning my body felt so tired it was hard to get out of bed... I tested this a few times over a week or two and it was definitely the alcohol making me feel so drugged!

Just had the "that so-called Paleo thing is nonsense" conversation with a friend. She is a natural food/anti GMO proponent, but cannot and will not accept that grains were not in the hunter/gatherer diet. Well, they were certainly not a staple, which she agrees to, and they were certainly not in the forms we commonly see now, which she also agrees to. But giving them up is nonsense and a fad.

She's an English Lit major. I have a degree in Ancient History. We both have health issues. Mine are more severe/debilitating. She is about twice my size (taller, bigger boned, more excess weight) and an authority (self-styled) on all things healthy. I am misguided.

Do I feel superior? No, just a little frustrated. Have I told her she's wrong. No, just that her way doesn't work for me.

I am still "misguided".

Ok. I shall be blissfully misguided then.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't drink much alcohol, but after 100days without, I was amazed how when I did have some, even just a few mouthfuls, the next morning my body felt so tired it was hard to get out of bed... I tested this a few times over a week or two and it was definitely the alcohol making me feel so drugged!

I haven't reintroduced alcohol since I did my first Whole 30 in January.  I haven't stressed about it as an ingredient in mussels or in a steak sauce but I haven't had a drink since.  I don't miss it.  I did briefly contemplate a glass of wine a few weeks ago but  I can't find my corkscrew.

(can't make the quote work properly...)

My mother-in-law about my friend and I who are doing Whole30, "I don't know why you guys do that to yourselves!"

Two days later, "I need to get on some sort of diet or do SOMEthing! I think I'm going to go back on Atkins."

Ophelia - that's my husband to a T! 

"I don't think that you should completely eliminate any food groups. It's not healthy." -- Him, when I told him (while he was gone) that I was going to eliminate grains and dairy for a month.

*insert me losing weight and looking fantastic*

*insert me still keeping mostly grain-free, except when they're gluten free and on occasion, but successfully reintroducing everything else and maintaining a decent weight level despite eating more candy with him*

"I've gotten fat!...I'm going to have to restrict my calories. Oh, and I forgot to eat lunch today so I had a snack of Quaker Oatmeal Squares." -- Him

Me: *bangs head against wall*

The things that come out of my father-in-law's mouth regarding nutrition, while he's downing 1-2 "Healthy Choice" entrees a day and at least a six-pack of Natty Light are far too numerous to type up and share.

Quite frankly, it annoys the heck out of me. I don't say one darn word about his food. I don't know why he thinks he gets to say anything about mine.

The things that come out of my father-in-law's mouth regarding nutrition, while he's downing 1-2 "Healthy Choice" entrees a day and at least a six-pack of Natty Light are far too numerous to type up and share.

Quite frankly, it annoys the heck out of me. I don't say one darn word about his food. I don't know why he thinks he gets to say anything about mine.

It's called deflection.  While you're defending your choices, you should be kept sufficiently distracted from noticing his.  At least that's what's supposed to happen.  ;)

• My boss the other day: "Be careful with that. High protein, low carb diets will wreck your kidneys."   SMH!

• (A few weeks ago)A good friend of mine ranting about people who buy grass-fed and organic: "There's no point in buying organic or grass-fed. Anyone can say their product is organic or grass-fed. Did you SEE them grow that sh*t? Did you SEE what the farmer fed that cow?" ------then, today I find out she ordered online a 90 day supply of the latest MIRACLE "all natural" fat burning pills. Had to resist the urge to say, "Any supplement company can claim their product is all natural. Did you SEE what they put in it????"    She keeps asking me if I want to split the 90 day supply with her. DOUBLE SMH!!!!

Archived