The crazy things people say

Jessica

I overheard my coworkers talking about weight loss today and I just HAD to share this gem:

"Well, you know women are only supposed to have 1200 - 1500 calories per day"

:rolleyes:

I...would die. Not even kidding. And my only activity is walking to and from work (15 minutes uphill each way).

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"YOU'RE PUTTING OIL ON YOUR FAT!????!!!" Spoken by my loving cousin as I put olive oil on my smoked ham, heh! I was so irritated and angry initially, then I remembered that not every store-bought-mayonnaise-loving,  bread worshiping person can understand this type of a meal plan. It is so easy to be offended by other people's judgement but I have to remember to have compassion and understanding because getting angry only does me harm, and it just does not matter what they think! Keep on keepin' on everybody, and let the haters hate.

Friend bought some yogurt covered raisins and offered me some, then said "oh I'm sorry, I forgot, you don't eat dairy". :blink: 

Then followed that with, "I eat them for the calcium from the yogurt."  :blink:  :blink:

Ingredients:  yogurt coating:  sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, nonfat milk powder, yogurt powder (contains nonfat yogurt powder and sodium citrate), color added, lactic acid, lecithin (an emulsifier), and vanillin (an artificial flavor). Raisins:  tapioca dextrin, dextrose, whey powder, powdered sugar, confectioner's glaze. 

Probably more calcium in the raisins alone!

• Administrators

Friend bought some yogurt covered raisins and offered me some, then said "oh I'm sorry, I forgot, you don't eat dairy". :blink:

Then followed that with, "I eat them for the calcium from the yogurt."  :blink:  :blink:

Ingredients:  yogurt coating:  sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, nonfat milk powder, yogurt powder (contains nonfat yogurt powder and sodium citrate), color added, lactic acid, lecithin (an emulsifier), and vanillin (an artificial flavor). Raisins:  tapioca dextrin, dextrose, whey powder, powdered sugar, confectioner's glaze. 

Probably more calcium in the raisins alone!

OMG, there are three sugars just on the raisins!  

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes it gets all a bit much with the criticism and 'your weird hippy diet' comments. How do you guys handle it? I'm blogging my way through my first Whole30 right now and wrote a post about it (here) but would love to know what you guys do!

Smile and nodding helps ;)

People pity me a lot. I get a lot of "I feel so bad for you, you can't have X"  My reply is always is: "Don't feel bad for me, I feel the best that I have ever felt in my life!  X makes me feel less than sublime, so why would I want it?"

I used argue, discuss, engage, but now I find the best route of action is just to quietly eat the way I eat.  Do I feel judged or judgey at times?  Sure I do.  But it all comes down to something making me more healthy or less healthy.   

Delaney, I don't know how this would work with the blogging, but I talk about eating very little unless someone expresses particular interest. When up against conventional wisdom + SAD habits/assumptions, it's just too big a leap for most people. They think you've drunk the Kool-aid (and you begin to see that they're so used to the stuff that they have never even questioned it!). At this point, my family's been curious and open enough about it that almost everyone near me has shifted their eating to Paleo/ancestral since I first did a W30 a few years ago, so it's definitely contagious over time  :) but for casual acquaintances and colleagues, I just keep my mouth shut most of the time (except to feed myself delicious homemade stew and fresh veggies! or to just pick and choose if I'm at a dinner or restaurant). Most of the time I think I come off as a picky eater, but one who really loves her food.

I've had people ask questions out of true curiosity and have tried to answer their questions briefly, then refer them to the books for further information.

Critics.... I've tried to ignore them. It's been nearly 3 years since my first W30, and I basically do like the others above; ignore them and quietly eat what I eat. And feel really good about it....

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes it gets all a bit much with the criticism and 'your weird hippy diet' comments. How do you guys handle it? I'm blogging my way through my first Whole30 right now and wrote a post about it (here) but would love to know what you guys do!

I just beam! :)

• 1 month later...

I get slagged from a couple of people in work about it, despite the fact one of them is open (to me) about their digestive issues/bowel movements.

My dad comes out wi a cracker now and again. In scotland we have "chippies" with chips and a meat/fish covered in batter. My dad says the fish and chips is healthy because you have that lovely fish underneath the batter. Aye no problem, just forget about the horrendous oil the floury batter is cooked in, as well as the lashings of table salt!

Now all I want to eat is a fish supper with lashings of chippie sauce, good job I won't be going home for a while  :ph34r:

My dad comes out wi a cracker now and again. In scotland we have "chippies" with chips and a meat/fish covered in batter. My dad says the fish and chips is healthy because you have that lovely fish underneath the batter. Aye no problem, just forget about the horrendous oil the floury batter is cooked in, as well as the lashings of table salt!

Haha!! I do miss fish and chips mind you, though I know they aren't healthy, I have a friend though whose only vegetable intake in his life apart from potatoes (he is almost 40) is mushy peas. Even as a child his mother never cooked any vegetables. Lovely.

I'm not sure what he'd think of whole30!

• 2 weeks later...

How will your baby get enough nutrition/calcium/iron without rice cereal?

Won't your baby have more allergies if you don't eat [x] while you're pregnant?

Yep. Nope. Stop trying to make me feel like I'm somehow doing bad things to my future child by only eaten gluten-free grains once per day when I'm not on a Whole 30. Trust that I know what makes my body feel good and, therefore, make my baby feel good.

• Administrators

How will your baby get enough nutrition/calcium/iron without rice cereal?

Won't your baby have more allergies if you don't eat [x] while you're pregnant?

Yep. Nope. Stop trying to make me feel like I'm somehow doing bad things to my future child by only eaten gluten-free grains once per day when I'm not on a Whole 30. Trust that I know what makes my body feel good and, therefore, make my baby feel good.

Ask them what people did before Heinz started pulverizing & fortifying rice and calling it "cereal" for babies? If someone has to "fortify" a product, perhaps we should just eat the things that come from nature already "fortified"?! Why do people think that pregnant women and their new children are community property? I've never been pregnant nor will I ever be but I always felt like that entitlement to comment would be something that would have me raging A Lot.

My mother asked me this morning if I was having my cholesterol checked...apparently now I'm not able to eat wheat my cholesterol must be soaring (I haven't told her about the ghee, the homemade Mayo or that I don't eat other grains either!)

As if I don't have enough health wise to worry about just how...and no, I'm not having it checked...

I was at a health food store looking at Vitamin B supplements. One of the ingredients was sorbitol, of all things. When I asked someone who worked there why they have to put sorbitol in a vitamin that you swallow, they said not to worry its a "good kind" of sorbitol.

Ask them what people did before Heinz started pulverizing & fortifying rice and calling it "cereal" for babies? If someone has to "fortify" a product, perhaps we should just eat the things that come from nature already "fortified"?! Why do people think that pregnant women and their new children are community property? I've never been pregnant nor will I ever be but I always felt like that entitlement to comment would be something that would have me raging A Lot.

Yep. That's me most of the time. I've had more people comment on what I should/shouldn't be eating/doing/whatever since getting pregnant. It's really awkward when a male coworker who isn't married and has no children of his own comes up to you and starts talking about the side effects/risks of epidurals. Um. You don't have those parts to be able to talk to me about pushing a human out of mine. I didn't ask you. I will make the right decision for me with the help of my doctor and at the right time. I can say all I want at 13 weeks pregnant but the real answer will come when (literally) push comes to shove.

I'll have to save your comments about the cereal for later...the next time someone tries to give me the spiel about how it's so great and will make your baby sleep longer (because while sleep is tempting, filling your child up with things they can't digest to get sleep sounds like a TERRIBLE thing to do). Supposedly the doctors here are pretty good about not trying to push you on it if you say absolutely not the first time they bring it up...yay.

• Administrators

I'll have to save your comments about the cereal for later...the next time someone tries to give me the spiel about how it's so great and will make your baby sleep longer (because while sleep is tempting, filling your child up with things they can't digest to get sleep sounds like a TERRIBLE thing to do). Supposedly the doctors here are pretty good about not trying to push you on it if you say absolutely not the first time they bring it up...yay.

Alcohol makes adults fall asleep too and depending on how much they have, stay asleep longer.....but it's not a healthy option! Whatever you choose to do will be the absolute perfect decision because you are making it for you and your baby in your unique context.

...the next time someone tries to give me the spiel about how it's so great and will make your baby sleep longer

Alcohol makes adults fall asleep too and depending on how much they have, stay asleep longer.....but it's not a healthy option! Whatever you choose to do will be the absolute perfect decision because you are making it for you and your baby in your unique context.
baby-with-a-bottle.jpg

Archived