The crazy things people say

Jessica

Co-worker: "I am going to get food, I am starving". Comes back with a bag of chips. Then he goes: "Look, guys, they have new flavour, guacamole! Wanna try?" I politely refuse. "I thought you said you CAN eat avocado" (very disappointed voice).

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Co-worker: "I am going to get food, I am starving". Comes back with a bag of chips. Then he goes: "Look, guys, they have new flavour, guacamole! Wanna try?" I politely refuse. "I thought you said you CAN eat avocado" (very disappointed voice).

Ha! I'm sure there is so much avocado in those chips.

On a positive note. I have a friend who recently read wheat Belly so is off the wheat but constantly asking me about Whole30. Last night, she had plans for what to make for dinner but instead said "hey! why don't you come over and we'll make something from Clothes Make the Girl." Such a refreshing exchange.

Heh, I have a similar story. I sat down to have my lunch at the coffee shop I work at, and a regular customer asks me, "Are you a vegetarian? Because you seem like a health nut to me!" And I said, "Well, I am a health nut but I sure am not a vegetarian!"

To be fair, she wasn't a vegetarian either, but it's interesting how the common perception of vegetarianism is that it's the pinnacle of health. I used to think so, even.

So true - too many people do think that vegetarian or vegan diets are the healthiest!

My first year as a vegan, I really was super healthy! Of course, I was eating all real food, gluten free, almost entirely grain free, no legumes, and tons and tons of veggies. So basically, nearly Whole30... minus the essential fat and protein and plus too many fruits and nuts. I think it's people who are successful (however temporarily) on a mostly raw, grain free vegan or vegetarian diet that make it seem like vegetarianism is a great idea.

Then in my case, the lack of fat, lack of diversity of amino acids, and insufficiency of certain micronutrients caught up with me and I had a really hard second year of injuries, fatigue, and less than stellar health.

Thankfully, as a chef, I already knew lots of good local farmers. While it was a tough decision ethically to stop being vegetarian/vegan, I had the resources available to do it right. When I transitioned back to eating meat, but before I told everyone, there were plenty of people who said I looked great - they called me glowing, energetic, more balanced. My skin was clearer. I had a bounce in my step again.

I explained why and far too many people just didn't believe that adding (good quality, hormone free, properly raised, properly prepared) meat and eggs back into my diet was a reason for major improvements in health!

On a positive note. I have a friend who recently read wheat Belly so is off the wheat but constantly asking me about Whole30. Last night, she had plans for what to make for dinner but instead said "hey! why don't you come over and we'll make something from Clothes Make the Girl." Such a refreshing exchange.

I, too, have a positive! My aunt, the same one who was comparing this to Atkins when I discussed it with her, read the book I gave her. Her and her boyfriend are both doing Paleo now. I am so excited when she texts me about them experimenting with different veggies and meats. I feel less alone now. My mom called me yesterday and they want to have a Paleo meal for my brother's B-day! I come from a very stubborn family (I am stubborn myself) and I think it will be really great to see that same determined stubbornness used in application for a lifestyle change such as this. They all have really terrible health problems too (IBS, Crohn's, depression, CFS, high blood pressure, Type II diabetics). I hope this sticks. I fear for my brother's life, it's that bad. I just keep putting out the example, giving resources, and hopefully the people I love will see the positive change and want it too. :)

I was researching hockey goalie camps for my daughter, and came across one that offers Paleo lunches during the 1-week camp, plus CrossFit Kids styled workouts!!! It's probably a bit intense for her age (7) but I'm bookmarking them for the future!

Which reminds me, this same daughter, that plays hockey 5 days a week in winter, soccer and track in the summer, came home from a field trip and had only eaten a tiny bit of her lunch. I asked her why, and she replied, "Elise's mom says calories make people fat and my meat has a lot of calories."

OMG! She's healthy and active, loves salmon and asparagus and veggies. This woman has her freaking out, at age 7, about calories. I was so furious I didn't even know what to say!

Which reminds me, this same daughter, that plays hockey 5 days a week in winter, soccer and track in the summer, came home from a field trip and had only eaten a tiny bit of her lunch. I asked her why, and she replied, "Elise's mom says calories make people fat and my meat has a lot of calories."

OMG! She's healthy and active, loves salmon and asparagus and veggies. This woman has her freaking out, at age 7, about calories. I was so furious I didn't even know what to say!

That is so maddening, what a stupid woman!

We can blame the media for twisted body image, but society (friends, family, acquaintances and even us, sometimes) needs to take some of the blame. I feel very discouraged seeing how a unhealthy relationship to food starts at such a young age.

I was researching hockey goalie camps for my daughter, and came across one that offers Paleo lunches during the 1-week camp, plus CrossFit Kids styled workouts!!! It's probably a bit intense for her age (7) but I'm bookmarking them for the future!

I actually have a client whose children do Crossfit Kids and they love it. He says they always beg to go with when he goes to workout. I think his youngest is about 7. It a lot more organized play at that age than anything, from what I understand. Movements, not weights etc. (Ok- Crossfit for adults is also organized play! That's the appeal!)

The other day on Facebook a girl I know posted a photo of her daughter playing (maybe 4 or so) and this was the caption: "Vivi and I were playing shop and I said should I get the cupcake? She said I don't know mom I think its 4 points." She and all these people commenting thought it was the cutest thing while I was absolutely horrified. I actually feel bad for the mother because she thinks she's teaching her about healthy eating habits. And to be fair, all I know is the one comment but still. I hope my kids don't know about weight watchers at 4.

This is horrible! Good thing you are there to talk to her about what a great job she is doing, and the importance of health over calories in vs. calories out. This is how I developed an eating disorder in high school. The only information I got was to cut calories. I became obsessed and stopped eating. Just keep reinforcing those good behaviors with the healthy food she is engaged in. Kids are so impressionable...once something is said, and understood on a certain level, it is hard to shake it out.

I actually have a client whose children do Crossfit Kids and they love it. He says they always beg to go with when he goes to workout. I think his youngest is about 7. It a lot more organized play at that age than anything, from what I understand. Movements, not weights etc. (Ok- Crossfit for adults is also organized play! That's the appeal!)

When I was little, at my preschool, we did so many activities like jumping over blocks, stretching, balancing, and doing obstacle courses. I loved my teacher. His name was Lou. There's a special place in my heart for him to this day! He made activity an adventure. Your post reminded me of this! Thanks.

When I was little, at my preschool, we did so many activities like jumping over blocks, stretching, balancing, and doing obstacle courses. I loved my teacher. His name was Lou. There's a special place in my heart for him to this day! He made activity an adventure. Your post reminded me of this! Thanks.

I love that story! My background is in dance and so sometimes I play creative movement games with my nephews. Once their father came out and just laughed at me saying "what crazy things are you making my son do?" but we have a great time. Last time I was in my hometown, the 5 year old wanted to workout with me in the backyard. We did box jumps, lunges, squats, push ups, frog jumps, sprints. Everything. And when i was tired, he said "do we have to stop?" It's so awesome to see and reminded me of how joyful every movement can be. We should always workout like children.

This makes me furious, and I may have called the mother, tbh. My girls came home from school one day (they're 3 and 5) and asked me what calories were and if they were bad. My response was, "No, they're not bad. They're just a measurement grown-ups use to figure out how much energy a food can give their bodies." In our house, where 99% of the food is anytime food, that's all they are.

My other half has bad eczema on his feet which has been bothering him lately. As i sat watching him picking his feet (romantic night in!), i said "are you going to make another appointment with the doctor? Or perhaps you could do an elimination diet like i've been doing?". He replied "Well, i have been, haven't i? I eat the same dinner as you"

Yes, dear.

We'll just discount the porridge oats for breakfast, the pizza/burger/sandwich/sausage roll at lunch, the chocolate biscuits in your cup of tea (milk, one sugar), the bowl of ice cream with chocolate raisins after your Whole30-compliant dinner, the nightly can of beer & the smoking. Sounds like a pretty good Whole30 to me!

:huh:

What?

I do have a simple way to explain this plan (I'm eating whole foods, no processed. Protein, fat and veggies), but am at a loss as how to answer more specific questions like "I thought soy was good for women?" or "I thought we were supposed to eat beans and whole grains?". Especially because I know that to some people stuff like this sounds crazy.

I do have a simple way to explain this plan (I'm eating whole foods, no processed. Protein, fat and veggies), but am at a loss as how to answer more specific questions like "I thought soy was good for women?" or "I thought we were supposed to eat beans and whole grains?". Especially because I know that to some people stuff like this sounds crazy.

This was actually addressed in the Whole30 Daily email on Day 23...two articles they suggested were on grains and fat, but they pointed out that no matter how much research you have on your side, other people will come up with research for theirs.

My short and simple answer is "I've found they don't agree with me". Well they don't :)

Now that I'm on Day 30 of my Whole30...

Everyone and their mother: "So are you going back to eating normal tomorrow?"

I wish people didn't constantly make me feel like they way I'm eating isn't normal.

I've heard this a lot unfortunately, and I never have an answer except to say. Why ISN'T it normal for a person to eat real food?

I've heard that one too. Real food is something that isn't chock full of preservatives, unpronounceable chemicals, and ingredients with no clear purpose other than to drive the price up.

"I could never do that. I can't get up two hours earlier to make breakfast."

Um...I'm up 15 minutes early, and I'm still making myself scrambled or fried eggs in the morning and reheating sausage and sweet potatoes. I get up a whopping 15 minutes earlier than pre-W30. That's it. And that's so I can make and eat breakfast, but usually I get caught up in the internet (like now) and that eats up any extra time I have. Heck, yesterday I unloaded the dishwasher in my extra time!

Archived