The crazy things people say

Jessica

Now that I'm on Day 30 of my Whole30...

Everyone and their mother: "So are you going back to eating normal tomorrow?"

I wish people didn't constantly make me feel like they way I'm eating isn't normal.

Normal should be real food! I saw something on the news the other day about the "Real Food Fad" -- like it's another fad diet or something!!!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that one too. Real food is something that isn't chock full of preservatives, unpronounceable chemicals, and ingredients with no clear purpose other than to drive the price up.

"I could never do that. I can't get up two hours earlier to make breakfast."

Um...I'm up 15 minutes early, and I'm still making myself scrambled or fried eggs in the morning and reheating sausage and sweet potatoes. I get up a whopping 15 minutes earlier than pre-W30. That's it. And that's so I can make and eat breakfast, but usually I get caught up in the internet (like now) and that eats up any extra time I have. Heck, yesterday I unloaded the dishwasher in my extra time!

I get this one a lot. I usually just say something to the effect of, I have to get up and have a good breakfast or I feel tired all day. I've worked out a system that really adds very little added time to my morning prep but makes me feel a million times better. Usually they just kind of nod with a look in their eyes that says they recognize that idea of feeling tired all day and maybe it's not such a bad idea. Then they go back to their bagel. :)

I've heard that one too. Real food is something that isn't chock full of preservatives, unpronounceable chemicals, and ingredients with no clear purpose other than to drive the price up.

"I could never do that. I can't get up two hours earlier to make breakfast."

Um...I'm up 15 minutes early, and I'm still making myself scrambled or fried eggs in the morning and reheating sausage and sweet potatoes. I get up a whopping 15 minutes earlier than pre-W30. That's it. And that's so I can make and eat breakfast, but usually I get caught up in the internet (like now) and that eats up any extra time I have. Heck, yesterday I unloaded the dishwasher in my extra time!

I find that argument hilarious too, I spend at most 15/20 minutes making breakfast, let's be serious it takes no more than 5 minutes to fry up some eggs. My roommate has been so bitter towards me throughout this whole process and she just can't understand how I can enjoy cooking everyday, waking up early (because I have gotten a great nights sleep) and cutting out some of my old favorite foods. She is always passive aggressively asking me things like, "Don't you just wish you could not cook today" and "How horrible is it to not eat cheese anymore, I bet you really miss it". Today after I weighed myself I texted her my results, she didn't respond and when she got back home with her staple take out meal breakfast, didn't congratulate me or say anything at all about my success. I don't need the applause, but I find it so disappointing that someone can't be happy for someone being healthy and completing a goal successfully, simply because their own weight loss progress is at a standstill because of their terrible eating habits. I am definitely going to have to learn to shrug things off, not everyone is going to be supportive in my life, but that's okay, I think having a hater or two is even more motivational!

Well, we are happy for you! Great job!!

I find that argument hilarious too, I spend at most 15/20 minutes making breakfast, let's be serious it takes no more than 5 minutes to fry up some eggs. My roommate has been so bitter towards me throughout this whole process and she just can't understand how I can enjoy cooking everyday, waking up early (because I have gotten a great nights sleep) and cutting out some of my old favorite foods. She is always passive aggressively asking me things like, "Don't you just wish you could not cook today" and "How horrible is it to not eat cheese anymore, I bet you really miss it". Today after I weighed myself I texted her my results, she didn't respond and when she got back home with her staple take out meal breakfast, didn't congratulate me or say anything at all about my success. I don't need the applause, but I find it so disappointing that someone can't be happy for someone being healthy and completing a goal successfully, simply because their own weight loss progress is at a standstill because of their terrible eating habits. I am definitely going to have to learn to shrug things off, not everyone is going to be supportive in my life, but that's okay, I think having a hater or two is even more motivational!

Today after I weighed myself I texted her my results, she didn't respond and when she got back home with her staple take out meal breakfast, didn't congratulate me or say anything at all about my success. I don't need the applause, but I find it so disappointing that someone can't be happy for someone being healthy and completing a goal successfully, simply because their own weight loss progress is at a standstill because of their terrible eating habits. I am definitely going to have to learn to shrug things off, not everyone is going to be supportive in my life, but that's okay, I think having a hater or two is even more motivational!

Pretty sad that she can't be supportive, as that indicates that she's really not that good at relationships in general. I always feel like trying to teach people to be better to other people, but then I ask myself, "Is this my job? Why doesn't this person know how to treat people already?" My arch nemeses (I have two) at work are like this. I cut people all the slack in the world, too much, because I have co-dependent tendencies (that I'm overcoming). It just frustrates me when people are the polar opposite of nice, as when I make a small mistake and they dislike me for all time after that. I think, "What the hell kind of parents did this girl have growing up??"

Anyway, are you going to talk to your roommate about her unsupportiveness? If you do, I think you'll confirm that she's jealous. I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you get the hell away from this person ASAP so you can make space for really great people in your life. I just don't understand why people have to take from their friends instead of getting something really exciting going for themselves in life. I guess it's just stagnation.

I'm exactly the same way! I went from setting my alarm at 7:15 (and hitting snooze several times) to setting my alarm for 7:00 and getting up at 7:05. And I have way more time to have a cup of coffee and talk with hubby. Definitely worth it!

So, I volunteer and provide meals at a charity child care center for kids in crisis, and I just submitted a menu for approval--meatballs, marinara, spaghetti squash, green beans, clementines--and got an email back "sounds good, just make sure you bring some rolls or bread. They need a serving of whole grains at every meal!" right. "healthy whole grains" are just what they need.

I was chit-chatting with a few friends at lunch on Friday about the upcoming SuperBowl and our plans etc.

When one of my friends declared "OMG YOU CAN"T EAT SUPERBOWL SNACKS!" I was like "huh?"

Puzzled look: "Um I eat meat, veggies and fat. I think I will be just fine," rolled my eyes and she could not understand why I thought her broadly generalized claim was so cray, cray. Seriously?!?!

Below is a pic of my W30 compliant plate. ;) I made the wings and slaw myself. Woot!

post-13474-0-98685400-1359998649_thumb.j

Another gem came to me last night via my 300+ pound brother-in-law.

He over heard me talking about coconut aminos as an alternative to soy sauce.

Him: You can't have soy sauce?

Me: No, no soy.

Him: But cavemen had soybeans.

Me: fail-smile, shaking my head.

So, I volunteer and provide meals at a charity child care center for kids in crisis, and I just submitted a menu for approval--meatballs, marinara, spaghetti squash, green beans, clementines--and got an email back "sounds good, just make sure you bring some rolls or bread. They need a serving of whole grains at every meal!" right. "healthy whole grains" are just what they need.

The center may need the serving of whole grains if they get government subsidies for any of their food or services. USDA regs. Oy vey.

The center may need the serving of whole grains if they get government subsidies for any of their food or services. USDA regs. Oy vey.

Yup, they do. It just seemed kind of silly subbing spaghetti squash if I was going to serve them dinner rolls too...and I know from experience that most kids will eat a dinner roll or a piece of bread first and then not be hungry anymore for the veg. and meat, so, I ended up with whole grain pasta and everybody did a great job eating some of that with lots of meatballs and sauce and clementines and green beans. I'm happy with that....for now :ph34r:

Every so often I do the YouGov surveys. You state how well you agree or disgaree with a statement. One of todays was " I like to treat myself with foods that are not good for me". Excuse me????? If a food is not good for me, how on earth is that a treat? :wacko:

Another gem came to me last night via my 300+ pound brother-in-law.

He over heard me talking about coconut aminos as an alternative to soy sauce.

Him: You can't have soy sauce?

Me: No, no soy.

Him: But cavemen had soybeans.

Me: fail-smile, shaking my head.

Fyi:

Soybeans originated in Southeast Asia and were first domesticated by Chinese farmers around 1100 BC. By the first century AD, soybeans were grown in Japan and many other countries.

In your face Mr. Doubter of everything! B)

My closest friend and I agree on just about everything. Well, everything but food. She holds fast to the belief that fat is bad and calories mean everything.

She's decided it's time "to start being good again." So the other night when she came over for dinner she knew I was baking salmon and had asked if I would be offended if she brought over her own sides. For many reasons, I told her I certainly wasn't offended.

So as my family sat down to dinner we enjoyed baked salmon, confetti style faux cous cous, and asparagus cooked in ghee and fresh garlic.

On her plate was a lovely piece of salmon and a sad little pile of plain brown rice.

By those standards, I never want to "start being good again."

So as my family sat down to dinner we enjoyed baked salmon, confetti style faux cous cous, and asparagus cooked in ghee and fresh garlic.

On her plate was a lovely piece of salmon and a sad little pile of plain brown rice.

By those standards, I never want to "start being good again."

The funny part is even by the most conservative weight watcher, low-fat, myplate standards the ghee is the only thing that might be controversial. Ha! Oh loved ones.

I'd rather be baaaad :)

This is the number one response I get, Derval! Another one is..."What do you Eat?!" It always make me laugh when I get the googly eyes from the response of, "Real food." :blink: In trying to explain my Whole30 compliant coffee creamer, I had my friend ask me several times what dairy I used. I kept repeating, "Coconut milk." Finally, in exasperation, she asks, "Yeah, but isn't that milk?" Oh, boy *shaking my head*

Hubby, a week or so after I told him that I'd lost 6 lbs since I started eating this way (work-required weigh-in): "I've gained 15 lbs since October. Looks like it's only veggies for me!"

Keep in mind that he's training for a marathon too. I was like :blink: - I offered that I can cook for him the way I've been cooking for myself, but he didn't respond to that part of my email. His dad lost well over 50 lbs going no-grain (he's now low-grain, but still hasn't really gained it back). I've lost almost 4% of my weight since starting this, but obviously going veggies only will help him lose weight?

While I realize that the purpose of this forum is to poke fun at "other" people who say stupid things, I must confess my own bent towards stupidity. Before starting my Whole 30 (I am on my second one; I relapsed pretty badly :ph34r: ) I realized how insane and pompous my behavior towards certain "unhealthy" foods was too. For instance, "Oh no, I don't eat avocados. They are too fattening. I'll just have the queso with my chips, thank you very much!" Or how about this one: "No bananas. They are too high in carbohydrates and are bad for you. I'll have a cup of ice cream instead. Oh, make that ice cream and Fritos. Yeah, that's better!" Fortunately one day, I heard myself say these things (out loud :rolleyes: ) and then looked in the mirror and said to myself "You're an idiot".

Archived