Steps to prepare

Grains

Hi everyone

I cannot begin immediately due to travel plans, and if I understand correctly the program results may be even better if you begin healthy. I am wondering about gradual changes to make in the meantime in preparation. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cut back or eliminate sugar, processed foods, etc? Any particular order, timeframe, etc? Thanks!

• Moderators

Any steps you take to move toward eating Whole30 style will make your first week or so a little easier.

I'd probably start by eliminating obvious sugar (no desserts, no sugar/sweetened creamer in your coffee, no pancakes or waffles for breakfast) and starting to try to make all meals look like the meal template, with a combination of vegetables, protein, and fat. Now is also a good time to start reading labels on everything you buy and finding Whole30 compliant alternatives for things like pickles, olives, frozen vegetable mixes or other pantry staples.

I'd also recommend, if you haven't already, starting to read all the information here on the website (start here), or if you prefer a book, find a copy of The Whole30 or their older book, It Starts With Food. The Whole30 is a how-to guide for how to do a Whole30, with tips and lots of recipes. ISWF addresses the science behind the program and is helpful if you like to know why the rules are what they are.

Thanks Shannon. I've also been reviewing the recipes a lot and trying to get mentally prepared. I am concerned about being disciplined enough to complete this. When I get stressed I may eat or drink, but I imagine getting healthy will help with the stress and sleep etc. nervous about failing when I do start...

I am concerned about being disciplined enough to complete this. When I get stressed I may eat or drink, but I imagine getting healthy will help with the stress and sleep etc. nervous about failing when I do start...

Perhaps a new way to reframe: Up until now, when you got stressed, you ate or drank.  I encourage you to use the Whole30 journey to explore ways to consciously respond to your stress triggers without food or drink.  

Take each day one at a time, each meal one at a time, if need be.  It may help to make a list of all the reasons why you want to do a Whole30, and what you feel completing a Whole30 will give you, and post that list in a prominent place where you can review it daily.

Archived