Day 17 -snacking too much?

I am and have always been a "serial" snacker -quality healthy snacks, but still snacks, especially during the work week. Reading up on Whole30, I know we are supposed to eliminate snacking. I know this is mental for me. I have been better at cutting back on the snacking and some days are way better than others.

Today has been hard, maybe I didn't have enough protein at lunch and probably because I ate lunch much earlier than normal. I had a lunch appointment, I ate a very compliant lunch, but probably needed more food/protein/fat.

This afternoon, I've had an apple with almond butter and way more than a serving of almonds. How do I get the snacking monster off my back?

I should admit, that I've done better at eliminating the afternoon snack, more so than the morning snack. Since Day 9, I've started eating the pre and post work out meals and have noticed a big difference. I do work out twice a day, so in the past I've never felt bad about the snacking. Just trying to do what's right.

• Administrators

Consistently eat more at your meals.  Hands down that is the number one way to get that cravings/snacking monster off your back.  Also, make sure you are having at least one serving a day of starchy veggie because that will help with energy and sugar cravings quite a bit.  Many of our members also report reducing cravings by saving fruits and starchy veggies to the end of the day rather than the beginning.

Note that eating a "mini meal" of at least protein and fat (ideally also veggies) is not exactly frowned upon.  If you have an instance where you didn't eat enough or you have a long run between meals, by all means eat.  But don't snack on fruit and nuts/butters alone, that just perpetuates the snackity cycle that you are trying to break.

Hard boiled eggs, chicken thigh with mayo, couple meatballs, a few bites of leftovers are all far better choices than anything that contains fruit, dried fruit or nuts alone.

On work days I have to stretch about 7 hours between breakfast and lunch, so I almost always need a mid-morning snack too. I usually do a boiled egg or few bites of chicken or something, that way I know I'm eating for survival and not to satisfy a craving.

I second the suggestion to eat fruits and starchy carbs, but save them for later in the day.

The only thing that has ever helped me not snack is not eating snacks. By which I mean eating when I'm hungry, but not eating "snack foods"—no fruit and nut butter, no veggies alone, certainly no bars. Make a mini-meal, and make it look/feel like a meal, if that makes sense. A bowl of veggie soup with protein tossed in. Half your normal portion of protein salad (chicken, egg, tuna). Something requiring a fork and/or spoon.

I think it's really common to have a "snack dragon." The trick is to feed yourself and not it.

• Administrators

The only thing that has ever helped me not snack is not eating snacks. By which I mean eating when I'm hungry, but not eating "snack foods"—no fruit and nut butter, no veggies alone, certainly no bars. 

SO BRILLIANT!

Archived