Day 5 - HALT this

mistressjd

So I am warning you all ahead of time I just need to vent it and get it all out. There will be nothing motivational unless you are joining me at my pity party and bringing paleo approved snacks.

It started off this AM. I have been scale free for all 5 days now, but me <insert sarcasm font>being the patient girl I am, reading the book and other forum posts, I expected to put on my work pants today and them to be loose and baggy from all of the weight loss or puffiness gone or whatever the devil inflammation has been hanging out for the past 32 years. It should all be gone now, right? I mean I have been doing this 100% for 5 WHOLE DAYS, HELLO!

Fine, then of course I have a horrible day at work. No I'm not a Dr and no, no one died, so it wasn't really the worst day ever, it just felt like those books we read when we were kids about the 'horrible, no good, very bad day'.

So I think, Jamie, you are prepared for this! You have delicious meats and veggies (ok delicious meats) ready to eat and it's the first night of football. Who needs beer and pizza, "not this paleo gal'. Right up until the man friend walked in with a bag of $&@$ Baskin Robbins and a carne asada cassadilla straight off the taco truck.

There is no HALT'ing that will make this all go away. Stress sucks and comfort foods is named that for a reason. So tonight, instead, I post. And give him the evil eye whenever he walks by, but 25 more days of this and none of us may make it.

Jamie - you are allowed to have emotions around this change, it's normal and especially for us "patient" people, inevitable. Good for you for not giving in to the taco truck frankenfood. And yes, it will get better. You will see results of some sort if you stick with it. They may not be exactly the results you are looking for in the timeframe you are looking for, but they will be results, and I know for me letting go of particular expectations has been very liberating. I had a yoga instructor that quoted this in class a lot and I've used it as a measure of where I am in my head. "expectation is premeditated resentment". You can agree or disagree with this, but in my life, I have seen it be true. And when I have specific expectations of myself, especially when they are unrealistic, I set myself up for failure and self loathing.

So stick with it, comfort yourself in another way, and bolt lock the doors against friends with frankenfoods:)

So I did it. Made it to day 9.

I even had the dreams of food I am choosing not to eat. My sister was chasing after me with chocolate chip cookies, (but the good ones I make, not the ones she makes, bleh) and she kept saying they were approved and I should just eat them. It was like a horrible B horror flick.

Anywho....I wake up from my Sunday nap and realized it was long past my normal lunch time, so no wonder my body was telling me I was hungry! The fact that I was able to say no to food in my dreams gave me a huge boost. (Silly, right? but I'll take it.) I got going on making some meals for the start of the week and had a delicious lunch.

I'm not saying I expect everything to be ponies, rainbows, and unicorns, from here on out, (although that would be AWESOME!) but it may have just been the first of many second winds I needed. I hope anyone who is part of the program or even contemplating it, knows just how important theses forums are. Thanks you all again for helping me stay focused and on track.

Archived