Starting June 22nd!

DeEnna

I am so excited to begin this journey.  I used to be a high level athlete as a child, a swimmer and triathlete, I ate whatever I wanted and was in shape and felt great.  Once I got to college I continued to eat the same way but not exercise.  Over the next 20 years I put on a lot of weight and had two children in the process.  I am definitely a sugar addict/carb addict.  I am looking forward to not having those cravings.  I would love some friends/support people throughout this process.  I know it is going to be difficult for me, I have tried many "diets" and given up.  I know this is not a diet but a way to reboot my whole system, I love that idea!  Both of my daughters ages 13 and almost 10 have picked up my bad food habits.  They have seen me getting ready to start this program and both want to do it as well.  I am thrilled! 

I would love any advice that you would like to offer, expecially about meal planning and recipies.  I also want to know how people make it through the rough spots, I know there will be some. 

Thanks in advance!

DeEnna

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi DeEnna! I had started yesterday but out of habit, I added sugar to my coffee, so I am going to reset and Start over on Monday. This works best anyway because it is after Father's Day. 

I was a paleo eater but after I had my son over a year ago, I have not been able to get back on track and never really lost the baby weight. For this to work for me, I have started my 15-month old on a 80/20 paleo diet. He is doing well and doesn't seem to miss anything. He loves fish and veggies, but chicken not so much. 

Anyway, I am hopeful that I can make it through the 30 days without having to reset.

Best,

Lennie

• Administrators

I am so excited to begin this journey.  I used to be a high level athlete as a child, a swimmer and triathlete, I ate whatever I wanted and was in shape and felt great.  Once I got to college I continued to eat the same way but not exercise.  Over the next 20 years I put on a lot of weight and had two children in the process.  I am definitely a sugar addict/carb addict.  I am looking forward to not having those cravings.  I would love some friends/support people throughout this process.  I know it is going to be difficult for me, I have tried many "diets" and given up.  I know this is not a diet but a way to reboot my whole system, I love that idea!  Both of my daughters ages 13 and almost 10 have picked up my bad food habits.  They have seen me getting ready to start this program and both want to do it as well.  I am thrilled! 

I would love any advice that you would like to offer, expecially about meal planning and recipies.  I also want to know how people make it through the rough spots, I know there will be some. 

Thanks in advance!

DeEnna

For folks who have strong attachments to sugar, we recommend not short changing yourself on starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, beets, winter squash etc.  Start with a fist sized serving at least once a day and see how you go.  You can also experiment with timing; some people find that if they have their starchy veggie in the morning they are more prone to cravings later in the day whereas if they move them to the last meal they get all the benefits of better sleep and more energy, better mood but without those cravings.

Experiment with that one.

Best of luck to both of you!  The best advice I can offer is to poke around here on the forums a lot... there is soooo much information, tips, support and of course tons of recipes!  For myself, the support has been the most crucial.  See you around  :)

Hi DeEnna,

I'm starting June 22nd also. I found out about Whole30 from my Acupuncturist and made the commitment as soon as I left his office. Around 20 years ago I had put myself on my own created neanderolithic eating agenda. It was much simpler than this in that I ate all the right things, actually more restrictive than this, but not structured like this one. Didn't eat the 3 meals but ate and nibbled on veggies and nuts whenever I wanted. Lost weight and felt really good. My first 3 days I was famished and couldn't eat enough of anything but after that 3rd day I had no problem. I could be around any other foods and not even want any of it. It was great until my mother came to visit and she's a country cook...need I say more. Anyway, I know this program will work for me but I think I'm going to need some help in doing the 3 meals a day. I never have done 3 meals a day so any encouragement etc will be awesome. I was like you when I was younger, did all the sports, really active. Now I'm retired, inactive and getting much too fluffy.

I know we'll do good on this and together we will do awesome.

Connie

Hi everyone! My name is Mary and I'm starting June 22nd too this is my first time doing While 30. I have been doing 21 day fix but finding myself cheating too much so I'm not really helping myself so I started reading "It starts with food" and got really intrigued with this whole program so I am going to give it my all and no cheats and see where it takes me!

I have hypothyroidism/hashimotos so I find myself very sluggish a lot and lacking energy so I am hoping this program helps with that. I am about 100lbs overweight and have recently taken up running and training for the biggest loser half marathon in September along with weight lifting.

I also just found out I will probably have to go on a business trip July 6th for a week so I am very nervous about sticking to this on the trip but I'm already scoping out whole foods locations. I am not going to delay starting because of this. Especially since I have a history of forgetting my eating habits when I travel and I need to break that habit this time.

Thanks for reading I'm excited to get started. I'm a bit unsure of what to buy but I did go to the farmers market this morning and stocked up on veggies so next stop is Trader Joes tonight for some meats/oils and nuts.

Mary

Hi, I am starting on Tuesday, June 23rd instead of Monday, June 22, but it would be nice to support each other. I have sugar cravings too...so will try the starchy veggies to help with that. I like using these 30days as a self-exerpiment...learning how my body works...I feel like I have not been in tune with it. So, looking for to rebooting and learning to listen to what my body is telling me, and get rid of these cravings and rollercoaster wiehg tloss and weight gain.

I'm in. :)

For the next month, I'm working on a show that is about PIES.

But - I've been pretty paleo for the last few years, but I've slipped into 80/20 where I like to be more 90/10, and I'm worried I'll make too many exceptions in the upcoming month if I don't just commit to this. 

Plus, I want to make sure, as I'll be very busy, to eat enough veggies, fat, and protein throughout the day. 

Yay!

I'm starting today, too! I had such a great experience going paleo a little over a year ago. I ate very strict but still drank beer and still lost 35 pounds in 3 months-- it was amazing! Since then I've gone back to an absolute garbage diet, trying to fix it every few weeks by setting arbitrary rules. "If I just cook my own food it's okay if I have grains", "if I just cut out bread I can have plenty of dairy", "sugar free energy drinks are fine!" etc., and have gone back to my pre-paleo weight. I'm ready to completely restart and fully commit!

Good luck everyone!

Hi all so glad to have some people to support me on this journey.  This is my second Whole 30 and I'm very excited to get on this way of eating again...I felt so wonderful after I finished the last one back in December.  I can't wait to get all this sugar (that I LOVE) out of my system, it's a beast!  

Best of luck to everyone it's hard but so worth it in the end!

Here's to a wonderful Day 1

Today is my first day too! My fiance and are doing it together and I'm so excited/scared/nervous! Breakfast was a yummy frittata with some guac on top and some fruit on the side. Lunch is protein salad! 

I am a little confused about what to eat before/after a workout. I workout in the morning and typically just have coffee before I head to the gym - I can't really stomach more than that. After I get home I eat breakfast (within 15 minutes of my workout ending). Do I really need to eat something before I go? Conversely, do I need to something in addition to my breakfast? Would appreciate any insight! 

Thanks! 

Hi! I started today today. On my second meal right now. Things already aren't going as planned but I'm trying to remain positive. I whipped up a nice salad and it was supposed to be with chicken but oops, forgot to thaw it, so eggs it is on the side. 

I am also starting today! Just finished my second meal. I was very excited but I am feeling a bit nervous now. I am so used to eating carbs and I don't like many different vegetables. Hopefully i can enjoy different vegetables with time...

Hey all, sorry I have been MIA...was in a program called The Landmark Forum all weekend.  What a fantastic prep to have my brain transformed before starting off on this Whole30 adventure.  Because I had seminars Friday, Saturday and Sunday that ran from 9am to 10pm I wasn't able to prep food as I would have liked.  I had to run off to get some things doen this morning only having had black coffee, not a good way to start the day.  Had a salad for lunch with tomatoes, Whole30 approved ham and a home made vinegar/oil dressing.  Went to whole foods to stock up for the next couple of days.  My daughters (ages 10 and 13 are also doing this with me). 

Good luck to everyone and congrats on Day 1 of the Whole30!

DeEnna

Just started the Whole30 today!  The day went well and I'm done eating for today so 1 down with 29 more to go :)  I made Ghee for the first time this afternoon.  It came out a little dark but was not burned.  I had some on a baked potato for dinner and I will definitely be trying to perfect it.  Looking forward to learning a lot from the forum.  Good luck to all :)

Well, I made it through 3 meals today, hotdogs, hamburgers...kidding! Had a good breakfast of veggie and nut scrambled eggs in evoo. Couldn't eat it all, about 2/3 so put the rest in the frig for tomorrow. Seemed to be a little hungry a few hours later but waited until lunch and had paleo chicken, veggies and 3 little chunks of cantaloupe. Full until this evening and really didn't want to eat but figured I'd better so had a ham steak with veggies, some walnuts and a few blueberries. Full!! I don't think I'll be hungry until tomorrow morning. My hardest part is the 3 meals a day, wish I could do twice a day with a few veggies and paleo trail mix in between. Shopping and checking labels is the second hardest part but I took a picture of all the pertinent downloads so I can check them on my phone which helps a lot. Tried the coconut milk and water...not to good alone so decided to mix them and it works pretty good. Gives the milk a richer flavor and tones down the sweetness of the water. Anyway, that's my first day, I won't bore your with my menu everyday but figured the first day is the best day...made it through the start of a new me! Congrats to everyone that made it through today, we done good!

Just started the Whole30 today!  The day went well and I'm done eating for today so 1 down with 29 more to go :)  I made Ghee for the first time this afternoon.  It came out a little dark but was not burned.  I had some on a baked potato for dinner and I will definitely be trying to perfect it.  Looking forward to learning a lot from the forum.  Good luck to all :)

LOL I tried whipping up some ghee and totally burned it. Made it again and it came out great the second time.

I also made the basic mayonnaise and basic vinaigrette from the Whole30 book. The vinaigrette is delicious (hint: add a little bit of garlic powder to the recipe.)

Hey all welcome to day two :).  I've got to say I was expecting a huge hangover headache today from sugar withdrawal but so far I'm good.  I'm finding after the last Whole 30 that my main problem was soy, so two weeks ago I stopped any soy and have had zero Chinese food so I'm thinking and hoping this time around It'll be a little better for me (fingers and toes crossed).  I feel better prepared this time around as well so here's to just staying on track and riding the Whole 30 wave.  

Oh and I'm finding I like this time of year much better than the winter...so many good veggies and fruit are in season at the Farmer's Market.  So for any first timers out there please be glad you started this in the summer!  

Plus I'm on a mission this time to not hand over our entire house budget to Whole Foods.  Very thankful I have an Aldi market near by and I scored some really good grass fed beef, organic chicken, and wild salmon yesterday so I'm set for the week.  Wooo hooo!  The family seems on board better this time around as well.

Hang in there only 28 days to go until you feel like a million bucks :)

Halfway through day 2!!! Had a horrible headache last night and a slight one today. I fell asleep on the couch around 8 last night. Hoping that gets better. I really need to look up some salad dressing recipes and this mayo one I keep reading about. I think that will help my meal planning.

I wonder if all Aldi grocery stores have grass-fed?

I am not liking leftovers so I am just pre-cutting veggies and meat to make cooking easier.

Amesjoburger, what brings on the headaches?

(My husband is currently eating a Twix right in front of me.)

Archived