Starting June 22nd!

DeEnna

This is my group!  Hi, I'm Julie.  Day 6 today.  I've been trying a lot of the recipes.  So far the Shepherd's pie is my favourite!!

Prior to whole30 my diet was ok, but I overindulged on whole grains, and wine/cocktails.

Feeling good and happy to have started this program.  My husband is supportive and likes our healthy meals.  Kids too!  My mom also joined with me, so it's nice to check in and see how she's doing.

Co-workers are asking about the program, and I try to focus on the things we can have and hopefully I can inspire others to join as well.

Nice to meet you, looking forward to the rest of this journey.  Have a great weekend everyone!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bfast for me has been fried tomato/egg scramble.  Sometimes sautéed spinach/egg.  I need to boil a dozen eggs so I have them on days that mornings are rushed.

The zesty shrimp salad sounds so good, going to have that for lunch today - thanks!!

Headaches for me too last couple days, hopefully it goes away soon.

Great job everyone!

My husband is having over friends and he made a lot of non-compliant food each with just one ingredient I can't have. I don't feel tempted seeing them on the table, but just in case I prepared my W30 food.

I'm annoyed because he knows the rules. For example, he could have made homemade mayo like his mother does or put carrots in the gazpacho instead of bread migas. At least the tortilla española is edible for me.

• Moderators

What do you guys usually eat for breakfast? I do eggs and sweet potatoes usually with some veggies but I'm not sure about doing sweet potatoes everyday. 

Most people feel best if they have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables like sweet potato, potato, winter squash, or root vegetables, so having sweet potatoes every day is fine. If you're very active, prone to depression or anxiety, pregnant or nursing, or in the week leading up to your period, you may need a little more.

If you do get tired of this breakfast, don't forget that you can eat anything you eat for any other meal for your first meal of the day, there's nothing that says that that meal has to have only certain foods. You can see some examples of what people are eating for breakfast here.

Well...day six.  I have finished food consumption for the day.  All Whole30 healthy choices but I felt I ate way too much and too many times today.  I want to be able to stick with this but today my head played with me about cravings and I kept eating different things to satisfy.  I think I'll get moving next time.  Today was lazy for me and wanted to veg out.  I hope it'll get better soon.  Kind of backing off exercising until I'm used to this was of eating.  Still reading literature daily.  Reading "It starts with food".  Good stuff.  This is my first go at this so I'm very new to this!!  ; ] 

Most people feel best if they have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables like sweet potato, potato, winter squash, or root vegetables, so having sweet potatoes every day is fine. If you're very active, prone to depression or anxiety, pregnant or nursing, or in the week leading up to your period, you may need a little more.

If you do get tired of this breakfast, don't forget that you can eat anything you eat for any other meal for your first meal of the day, there's nothing that says that that meal has to have only certain foods. You can see some examples of what people are eating for breakfast here.

Thanks! I'm so stuck to the eggs are for breakfast idea but I'll give some of those a try this week! 

I did okay yesterday but it was probably my toughest day. I had a good, filling breakfast but I did the warrior dash (a mud run with obstacles) with my husband and some friends. we started at 12:15 which is normally lunch time and it took us about two hours to finish. By the time I got around to eating lunch I was starving. I passed up the beer at the end which was super tough for me :) We stopped at subway on the way home and I had a chopped salad with tons of veggies and oil and vinegar dressing. I chose turkey as my meat. I know it isn't completely compliant but it was the best I could do. Also fought lots of cravings and really wanted to snack on everything. Fought it off though and was really proud of myself.

We stopped at subway on the way home and I had a chopped salad with tons of veggies and oil and vinegar dressing. I chose turkey as my meat. I know it isn't completely compliant but it was the best I could do. 

Yeah, according to this Subway document, their turkey salad contains soy.  That might be in the non-turkey ingredients, like their dressing. You might want to call and find out whether their turkey contains soy or carrageenan, as the latter can be a big gut disruptor for some. 

Day 7 - woohoo! I've been dealing with some digestion issues but I'm hoping this is just my body adjusting? Some stomach pain and unpleasant bathroom trips. I had my gallbladder taken out when I was 22 (complications from medication) - that was 6 years ago - so maybe I should cut back on some of the fat? Anyone else dealing with stomach upset in these first few days? 

• Moderators

Day 7 - woohoo! I've been dealing with some digestion issues but I'm hoping this is just my body adjusting? Some stomach pain and unpleasant bathroom trips. I had my gallbladder taken out when I was 22 (complications from medication) - that was 6 years ago - so maybe I should cut back on some of the fat? Anyone else dealing with stomach upset in these first few days? 

I'm also having digestive issues and I'm thinking it may be from the amount of fat I'm now eating. Let's hope this phase doesn't last! Otherwise, things are going well! Hope you feel better soon, ehwilber!

You both might consider adding probiotics, either in the form of food like raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut or kimchi (look in the refrigerated section of the store, the canned stuff on the shelf will have been pasteurized, killing off the good bacteria), fermented pickles (Bubbies and Wild Brine are two brands you can look for -- but basically, if you find refrigerated pickles that the ingredients don't include vinegar of any kind, they're probably fermented), kombucha or water kefir (not milk kefir, since dairy is out on W30), or you can take a probiotic pill, although many people find they have to try several brands to find one that's effective.

There's also digestive enzymes that are sometimes helpful for people who are increasing the amount of meat they're eating. Here's an article that explains a bit about them, but please note that the particular brand mentioned in the article changed formulas and may not be compliant anymore. Always check ingredients.

Yay one whole week down!  Day 8 and I'm feeling pretty good so many little aches and pains have vanished.  But yesterday that whole you feel better now eat those tortilla chips thought came in and was sooooo hard to not just throw in the towel.  Thank goodness I walked away and stayed on track, the weekends are the hardest for me.  

Focus this week is to just eat three meals, the last two days I had a few pistachios in between and I know this is gonna make it harder.  So pushing through.  Drinking enough water too is essential, it's harder when I'm busy and away from the house, I have to remember to take by water bottle with!  Here's to 22 more days to feeling really powerful.

Focus this week is to just eat three meals, the last two days I had a few pistachios in between and I know this is gonna make it harder.  So pushing through.  Drinking enough water too is essential, it's harder when I'm busy and away from the house, I have to remember to take by water bottle with!  Here's to 22 more days to feeling really powerful.

Focus on creating meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours by playing with your protein, veg and fat portions.

Until you get there, if you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

Day 8, feeling good.  Never thought I'd enjoy my coffee black, but now that I'm only having 1 in the morning, I love it, I will always drink it black now.

Last night my husband and kids had pizza on the BBQ (summer favourite) and I didn't mind at all.  I made some salads and I had steak & some sparkling water with lime.  My husband commented how proud he was that I was sticking to the plan.

Going to look for some new recipes to try this week, never made salmon cakes before, but since Sarah said they were amazing, I will try :)

Have a great day everyone!!

Day 8 and I'm feeling great! My stomach even feels better today - maybe I'm getting over the hump? My fiance is doing this with me and has been SO sleepy the past few days - is it normal to still feel tired at this point? He's mainly doing it for solidarity with me (which I appreciate) but I want him to reap the benefits too! 

Feeling good today. I do believe that I'm turning the corner on this 3 meals a day thing. It is so hard checking the time to

see if It's time to eat and/or where I'm going to be at those times. Pretty much got it down to 9ish am, 2ish pm and 7ish pm

which helps with the night time snack cravings. The meals are getting easier and I'm feeling more and more like actually cooking things now. Nothing elaborate of course but using the stove instead of plopping in a TV dinner and nuking it. I'm definitely seeing some changes in my energy and not being foggy all morning. Glad to read others are or were having some of the same issues. We are just shy of being at 1/3 of the program. Fist pump.....

Just finished M3. Had a tasty slightly altered Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad and feeling full. End of day 9 just about to end on a high note, not that every day doesn't.

Wanted to see if anyone knows if Martinelli's Sparkling Cider is okay. The ingredients are listed as: Pasterized 100% pure carbonated apple juice from US grown apples, vitamin C, no water or alcohol, no concentrates, no sweetners or preservatives. Sediment may occur. It sounds like it should be okay but I want to make sure.

I've had more energy today and haven't been hungry so snacking never came up. With my tasty salad tonight I should be good to go until tomorrow morning. It's getting easier each day. I hope everyone is hanging strong and also feeling the changes.

Another one bites the dust....... :-)

Just finished my day it's 10:45pm and I ate 3 great meals today and was not hungry at all and my energy is through the roof.  Yay!  I think it helped to go easy on the fruit as well today I only had a serving of cherries the rest of the day was vegetables.  I'm glad I noticed the difference.  It's been really good keeping a food journal and really looking at how the food and times I've been eating are in my control.  This second Whole 30 is a true eye opener and I'm excited to keep up with a Whole 9 lifestyle.

Day 8 down, felt a bit hungry today but managed okay. Made burgers wrapped in lettuce tonight for the fam with a mango salsa so yummy. Can't believe my daughters and I have done this well. My typical aches and pains have really subsided, having 80 extra pounds on my body hasn't been kind to my knees and they typically hurt...but not anymore. I have not found the magical sleep yet, hoping it will come soon! Have a great day tomorrow everyone!

Wanted to see if anyone knows if Martinelli's Sparkling Cider is okay. The ingredients are listed as: Pasterized 100% pure carbonated apple juice from US grown apples, vitamin C, no water or alcohol, no concentrates, no sweetners or preservatives. Sediment may occur. It sounds like it should be okay but I want to make sure.

Re: cider, if you want to use it in cooking, or to add a splash to water or sparkling water, that would be ok. We don't want you drinking glasses of juice/cider on a Whole30. Eat/chew the whole fruit instead and make water your primary beverage of choice.

Archived