Was feeling great until Day 5 .... light-headed and more - advice?

Well, I was rocking the Whole 30 pretty well for the first 4 days except for trouble falling asleep (not that abnormal for me anyway).  Last night, finally fell asleep around 3 am and woke up early morning a couple of times then back to sleep and dragged my butt out of bed about 10:30 am.  Usually when I can't fall asleep until the wee hours, I'm still up around 8 am.

Today, Day 5, feel light-headed and somewhat nauseous, not hungry (had to force myself to eat some chicken breast and a TBSP of coconut oil to get something in me) and I don't think I've pooped since Day 1.  I did have a couple cups of coffee and know that could be part of the light-headedness but am no slouch on coffee most days.... so...

I'm considering castor oil for the constipation and *do* drink a LOT of water but should probably bump up my veggies.  Does anyone know proper dosage for castor oil?  Pooping my pants in the post office during errands is not an option   :unsure: 

I took a cal mag zinc and a potassium supplement last night and intend to start taking that daily now but, wow, today is just kicking my ass!

Any advice or thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

~Chris

Hi Chris,

Magnesium should help with the constipation AND the sleep factor.  We recommend Natural Calm Magnesium (unflavoured) around these parts.  Take it before bed.  It should help.

Starchy Veggies such as sweet potatoes are also know to help things move.

If your whole system is disrupted you might consider a probiotic or start adding fermented things like Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Water Kefir, or Kombucha.  

Also if you are able to post a couple of days worth of meals here so we might take a look at and suggest some options for you.

I've eaten more sweet potatoes the last 4 days than I have in my whole life! hahaha   I haven't kept a food journal so my addled brain will have to try to recount my meals.  I'm on my way to Amazon to find the Natural Calm Magnesium.

I think a nice pork roast with sauerkraut sounds fantastic for tonight.  Thank you for the advice!

I'd be willing to bet that the nausea is related to the constipation. Get some magnesium on board, get things moving, and hopefully that'll be just the trick to get you feeling better.

Lots of veggies is good advice for helping to ward of future constipation, but fibrous veggies can also be part of the problem if you're not used to a large volume of plant matter. If you've been eating a lot of really fibrous veggies like broccoli or cauliflower, consider easying up on those for a few days and trying softer options like zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. as well as the starchy veg options. Lots of raw vegetables can have the same effect. Not saying that you can't eat them all, but just pay attention to how your body responds to them so that you can figure out whether or not it's something that you need to limit.

Archived