What are your must have kitchen tools/gadgets?

Julie Quates

Awesome!! Is there a specific model number you recommend? Or function on yours that is a must have? Seems like there are lots of models, not sure which to put on my Christmas list :))

I think they've updated the models since we bought ours (5 years of HEAVY use and going strong!) but I'd recommend a middle of the road choice. You want a good one, but you don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles which may just be more things to fail in the future. I don't use our vacuum sealing containers much, but I LOVE the lid sealer for ball jars. You definitely should consider one of those. They'll keep dried fruit fresh in a jar for years (no joke!) so you can buy (or dry yourself) in bulk without worry of spoilage.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend has this one and she is in love with it. I think it's the middle of the road model, but they claim improvements. Next step up was pretty spendy, but if it saves your food...well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Advanced-Design-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350004097&sr=8-1&keywords=food+saver

My husband came equipped with a Food Saver when we got married.. the man had more kitchen gadgets than I ever thought about having, but we lost it on a move. So, once we settled we bought another another one and since we had all the canisters from the previous one, we use them a bit, especially for mayo, ketchup, homemade pickles.. etc etc. We once did an experiment and put shredded lettuce into one and it stayed fresh for at least 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought a meat thermometer and drooled over the Le Creuset while in Sur La Table today. I am going to buy the Lodge red dutch oven from Target. I've already bought a Lodge grill pan and skillet. I wish they had more pieces of the colored stuff though. I really like red.. if you saw my kitchen.. yeah... LOL

Finally bought a meat thermometer and drooled over the Le Creuset while in Sur La Table today. I am going to buy the Lodge red dutch oven from Target. I've already bought a Lodge grill pan and skillet. I wish they had more pieces of the colored stuff though. I really like red.. if you saw my kitchen.. yeah... LOL

Are you guys in Oregon? You gave me that link to Oregon Live, so I thought maybe. Did you now they have Le Creuset outlets all over. Or at least at the outlet stores in Lincoln City. Not sure if they have them in Woodburn. I have gotten great deals. My mom gave me my first 4 qt pot when I went away to college and I still use it. :) Um...that was many moons ago.

I am in Florida, yeah my husband has suggested we try an outlet about 30 minutes from us. We know they have a Corelle store, so we are hoping they also have one for Le Creuset. I think they are a great investment.. the sticker shock gets me every time though!

Yes, I could never pay full price for it. Or won't anyway. You might look on Ebay too, but they are such a hot commodity that I'm not sure it would pay to do it. My mom worked at her best friend's wonderful kitchen store (like Sur La Table) in La Jolla and when I graduated from High School, they let us go after hours and outfit my kitchen. I still have my Le Creuset and my Master Chef.

I like my onion chopper and our food processor. We have some okay knives, but these are on my Amazon wishlist:

http://www.amazon.com/Rada-Cutlery-Starter-Aluminum-S38/dp/B000FZ223I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=O2DHCE7VN3RL&coliid=I1OU65I1M489WV

A knife set, made in the USA, with 5-star average (on Amazon) for <$40.00. That's crazy. I've also got a mandoline slicer on my wishlist. I'm learning to love to cook. At 33 years old, it's sad that I never really learned, but it's never too late.

After Christmas we will we look into how much we might have to spend for the pieces I want. Hubby wants an iPad, so we are negotiating. :)

If he gets the 8.9" Kindle Fire for $299 instead of an iPad, you can both get what you want. Seems like a fair compromise... ;)

I don't know if you can do spirals with yams, but I haven't tried it. Would you bake the yam sprirals? I may try it today to see what happens. If I do anything with yams, I use my inexpensive mandoline ($24) which I also love.

They show yams in the picture and mention it in the description. But I would have no idea what to do with them after! Bake with coconut oil? :huh:

Oh they do? That is cool. Yeah, I will sprinkle them with sea salt and chili flakes and bake them in ghee or coconut oil. I'll let you know how they turn out. It sounds a little dangerous because I will just want to munch on them, but I'll have them with my second meal.

Archived