"bulletproof" coffee in addition to meal 1

My husband and I are about to officially start our Whole 30 and I was wondering if adding ghee and coconut oil IN ADDITION to a protein+fat breakfast would end up being too much fat? I usually have an omellete made up of 2 eggs, 1/2 cup egg whites, a chicken sausage with 13g of fat, shredded zucchini, diced bell peppers, and 1/8 avocado (I have to eat low fodmap, hence the small amount of avocado). I cook the omellete in about 1 tsp of ghee. Sometimes I'll drizzle a small amount of buffalo sauce (from the whole 30 book) over the omellete. So would adding ghee and/or coconut oil to my coffee end up being too much fat? If not, how much would you suggest that I add if It accompanied a meal of this size?

It's pretty hard to go overboard on the fat, especially when you're only eating 1/8 of an avocado - the cooking oils stay mostly in the pan so they're pretty much neglibible so the addition of the BPC would be fine.

I'd comment though that you could do with upping the quantity of your veg - you should be aiming for 1-3 cups with each meal with 3 cups being optimum - many eat upward of 9 cups of veg a day.

It's pretty hard to go overboard on the fat, especially when you're only eating 1/8 of an avocado - the cooking oils stay mostly in the pan so they're pretty much neglibible so the addition of the BPC would be fine.

I'd comment though that you could do with upping the quantity of your veg - you should be aiming for 1-3 cups with each meal with 3 cups being optimum - many eat upward of 9 cups of veg a day.

Am I not counting the fat in the whole eggs as part of my fat also? I was looking at the yolks, the fat in the chicken sausage, the small amount of fat from the avo, and the addition of fat to my coffee (granted, I'm only adding probably 1 1/2 teaspoons total) and that seemed like a good amount to me? And my veggies take up about 2 cups that I try to shove into my omellete lol. I have to cook my zucchini down to make it fit :)

yeah, I would add another whole egg and some more veg before the bulletproof coffee, but if you can do that AND the coffee and still be hungry at lunch time, it's ok.

Do you say to add another egg bc of the added protein or added fat? I never know what to consider an egg as when I'm pairing it with meat. I mean, do people eat eggs sometimes as a fat? Gosh, I hope that question doesn't sound as stupid to you as it does to me...And my morning veggies equal about 2 cups. Trust me, this girl can eat some veggies. And funny thing is, as I've been prepping for this Whole 30 for about 2 weeks now (just easing into dropping some artificial sweetener habits, nightly sweet snack habit-regardless of whether I'm hungry or not) and cutting back on my whiskey and diet coke habit at night while waiting on my hubby to join me officially on Monday) I havent been hungry at all. It's especially hard at work bc I have to go eat when someone comes to break me for lunch or supper ( I work 12 hour shifts) and if I don't eat, I don't know when I'll get another chance to and that always makes me nervous, so I'll go ahead and eat even though I'm not hungry. I eat breakfast arounf 5:45 AM and devour my huge ass omellete with ease, but even by 11:30 I'm not "hungry". I guess I'm getting off track, but do you have any thoughts about that?

eggs have both protein and fat. So, technically if you have a bunch of eggs you might not need an additional fat source.

My point was more that we prefer you to get your nutrition from solid food. So, we would rather have you eat more fat, protein and vegetables than drink fatty coffee. If you are eating a generous template compliant meal and want to add fatty coffee on top of that it is ok, but try not to rely on the coffee for satiety at the expense of eating more nutrient dense food.

ps: the bulk of nutrition in eggs is in the yolk. Adding egg whites to your meal isn't something we particularly recommend. eat more whole eggs.

Archived