Day 6: Sugar cravings galore

Hello,

I have recently embarked upon my first W30. I have been scouring the forum for tips and suggestions of how to help cope with sugar cravings and what I have found has been helpful in terms of food intake, but I think what I really need is some accountability and emotional eating advice. Basically, I have a very low fruit intake (maybe one piece per day) so as not to trigger the sugar dragon, yet I am still finding that after dinner it is extremely difficult to stop myself from reaching for some nuts (which I have read is not a good snack choice on it's own), due to my desire for sugar.

This morning at 4:00 am I woke up with a dream-like vision of a muffin like I have never had before. I crawled out of bed in search of one before I had time to fully wake up (but don't worry, there were no muffins in the house, anyhow). None-the-less, a craving literally woke me up which tells me that the W30 is definitely what I need to be doing and simultaneously makes it *feel hard*. When I did come to my senses, I was so irritated I couldn't have a muffin that I decided I would eat some almonds...

When these types of extreme cravings happen, I justify eating a handful of nuts. I tell myself that as the W30 goes on, I will develop my ability to just say "no" to my cravings (that do not involve hunger), but I am wondering if I am being a little to easy on myself. I want to get the most out of my W30 and that means cutting out any emotional/boredom/tired/aimless snacking. Any advice on how to help the mental/emotional side of things would be great! 

PS, another time that these cravings and eating when not hungry tend to go hand in hand is when I see someone eating something that I want (icecream, chocolate, cookies) and I know I can't have it. Then I tend to try and soothe myself with a handful of nuts or veggies. I really want to work on this because I know that eating when not hungry is just NAHT GOOD! But like I said, I need some accountability/support about how to toughen up with myself.

Thank you in advance for your advice :)

First off ensure you are eating enough at meal times by reviewing the meal template, and remember that these are minimum quantities so it's okay if you need to eat more.

A good serving of fat will help keep those cravings at bay, and some starchy veg (sweet potato, beets, yam, squash, plantains etc) will help with the transition from your old diet to the new.

At the end of a meal reach instead for some pickled goods or sauerkraut to cleanse your palette, or reach for your toothbrush - either will take away the desire to finish off with fruit.

In between meals if you're reaching for a snack ask yourself you are truly hungry. Could you eat some steamed white fish and broccoli? If the answer is yes, then eat - but eat a mini meal of proteins, fats (& preferably veggies) and then up the size of your meals next day. If you are not hungry & you're reaching for food out of habit then try a distraction technique - go for a walk, run a bath, make a cup of herbal tea.... the craving is temporary & will pass.

To avoid this kind of situation arising out of boredom try taking up a new hobby like a crafting which will occupy your hands & your mind.

The longer you keep going, sticking strictly to the template and not snacking, the easier it will become.

You already know the answer to this. Stop eating the nuts. Sugar is my thing, and on w30 I do three (big!) template meals a day. Water or herbal tea in between. Nothing else. No fruit. Even coconut milk lattes prop up my sugar dragon. Before I clear my plate I ask myself, will this hold me 4-5 hours? If not, I add more. Once my plate is empty that's it until the next meal.

When you want to snack, have a glass of water. Then if you still want to snack, have a herbal tea. Then go do something productive - I sew. If all else fails, I go to bed (evenings are my snacky time).

There's no justification to shovelling unnecessary food into your mouth. As someone on here said a few days ago - The only way to stop snacking is to stop snacking.

Dallas @ Whole9 says

August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If you’re craving carbs (read: SUGAR!),   eat fat and protein. Giving yourself sugar is NOT the route to go. But also, adding 1/2 & 1/2 to your coffee won’t make you feel better. We’ve observed in (literally) hundreds of people that “falling off the wagon” with things like pizza and cake only lead to more “falling off”. Get back on the Good Food Train.

Melissa @ Whole9 says

August 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I do think you’re smart to realize you’re giving into the sugar demons with your sunflower seeds and raisins. If you’re craving sugar, don’t give your body sugar! Eat a high fat snack instead, with a little bit of protein, and tough it out. Break those cravings once and for all and you can go back to enjoying the occasional dried fruit and nut snack without worrying that it’s going to send you running for the nearest Krispy Kreme.

Best,

Melissa

Melissa @ Whole9 says

April 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It may take a week or two… it may take a month or two. Depends on how bad your sugar demons are, and how you treat them during your Whole30. Dallas likes to say you can’t kill the sugar dragon with willpower, you have to STARVE it. So don’t give in to those cravings during your Whole30 by using fruit as a crutch… stick it out and it will get better.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

All great information above!

I'm thinking if anything is food without breaks to you A V O I D at all costs

If you are eating enough you shouldn't even WANT to snack I know the difference between my cravings and my true hunger It takes time but you can and will do this Be true to yourself

This is all such helpful information! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have upped my meals and i am doing my best to eat bfast at the same time everyday which is making a HUGE difference in reducing my cravings for sugar, snacking is almmmmmost nonexistent! All these tips are uber helpful. Happy whole 30ing!

Archived